Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Abbreviated IT notes

Texas is staying on linebacker Josh White from Cy Creek. Josh has been candid with me in the past which makes me tend to trust him when he says he's solid to LSU. But I've heard some rumblings elsewhere that he's a little more open to Texas, and only Texas (aside from LSU), than he's letting on. Recall one of his spring visits was with Troy Omeire when the two stayed the night in Austin and took in the sights. The staff being so patient at linebacker recruiting may be a good sign of where they feel they are with White.

Alfred Collins is an absolute stud. Alfred Collins is giant. On a field with some big players on it he was still easy to locate all night. As far as I can tell his added weight has not hindered his twitch or change of direction, but he's noticeably stronger. He has a little push-pull move that shows his strength. I've been Vernon Broughton's biggest supporter but if anyone wants to make the case for Collins as the top defensive lineman in the state I won't stop you. I haven't seen Broughton yet this year, though. As for recruiting, there isn't anything new. He'll take in A&M versus Bama as his streak of seeing blowouts continues. You should always be a little wary when a player visits A&M for a big time game, and A&M's team strength is its defensive line, but UT is in a great spot and will still have its official visit to use down the road. I'm sure he'll want to see the Kansas game up close and personal. If they land Collins in addition to Broughton it's there best d-line haul in I don't know how long. The olds will have to chime in.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Nahlin added this on Eaton:

He’ll end up at whatever school recruits him like a priority. I’m not entirely sure UT will recruIt him as hard as OU. Texas does want three corners, though.

How about Dixon?  I just want the guy in the class. I think he's a player on either side of the ball.  If we swapped out Dixon for Eaton I wouldn't lose a second of sleep. 

2 hours ago, Scholz said:

It's not like Eaton is being processed.  He's the one looking around.  We offered him a scholarship and he accepted.

Yeah, but sometimes when recruits start looking around it's because coaches back off and stop engaging. Not saying that's what is happening with Eaton. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, but sometimes when recruits start looking around it's because coaches back off and stop engaging. Not saying that's what is happening with Eaton. 

So what you are saying is we should start messaging him in social media to help with the re-engaging process?

• Like 4

Roach mentioned this in his recruiting post today: “There are a few other prospects that Texas is involved for right now. I can’t get into those names at this time, but there are irons in the fire behind the scenes. The Texas staff is at a place where they can be a bit choosier when it comes to filling out this class.”

Eaton’s not a scrub. He’s a versatile athlete laying down impressive senior tape. He’s a project, probably in the secondary, but he’s a better athlete than Chris Brown who has been a hell of a surprise this year. He can compete and learn, and we can play him when he fills into a position. This is not a guy we want to lose, and the class is not big enough for him to have been processed if he flips. If blou is really confident, I’ll handwring a little. Especially with Alex “lol, look at our depth chart, you can start right away” Grinch leading their recruiting efforts.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Roach mentioned this in his recruiting post today: “There are a few other prospects that Texas is involved for right now. I can’t get into those names at this time, but there are irons in the fire behind the scenes. The Texas staff is at a place where they can be a bit choosier when it comes to filling out this class.”

Hmm. Is that really saying anything though that isn’t fairly inherent to the recruiting process?  The classic, ‘I cant tell you but I know a secret’ 9.95er move never fails. 

1 hour ago, bEastTexas said:

Haha Classic 9.95 bullshit

1 hour ago, bEastTexas said:

Why even say anything? 247 sucks ass

• Like 1

"All I can say is that this recruit is currently committed to another school and wants to keep his interest in Texas on the down low. I am keeping this under wraps out of respect to the kid, but when he wants this to go public I will make sure that you subscribers will be the first to know.

One last thing, minds will be blown when this secret is revealed."

8 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

"All I can say is that this recruit is currently committed to another school and wants to keep his interest in Texas on the down low. I am keeping this under wraps out of respect to the kid, but when he wants this to go public I will make sure that you subscribers will be the first to know.

Is not ringo. Is demas. 

8 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I can't tell if this is a direct quote or a Scorpio sock.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I knew the long game with Waddle would win out.