Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Roach / 247 - a regurgitation of the mind-numbingly obvious.

Spoiler

Recent moves

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage – I recently entered a flip pick for Carthage ATH Kelvontay Dixon to land at Texas. As I mentioned in The Stampede, the Longhorns are starting to press and fears of instability with the coaching staff are creating some opportunity for other teams. Dixon is scheduled to be in Fayetteville this week for Arkansas’s game against Auburn, so they could possibly push to lock things down, but another tough performance could all but seal things for the Longhorns.

WR LV Bunkley-Shelton, Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra – I recently changed my crystal ball to foggy for the California wideout after his official visit to Austin was canceled. Texas really liked the fluidity and natural skills at the position, but some other factors came into play and the Longhorns decided to go in another direction. Kelvontay Dixon’s emergence as a target is directly related to this.

Close to changing

CB Joshua Eaton, Aldine MacArthur – Eaton is probably the recruit I’m watching most closely right now. Oklahoma grabbed Eaton’s attention after he officially visited Norman a few weeks ago, and I continue to hear that contact between Eaton and the OU staff is strong. The Texas staff is aware of the situation and they are doing their best to hold on to Eaton while also evaluating other options in case Eaton decides to move.

OL Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor – When the 2021 class started to pick up steam in the summer, there was a lot of smoke around Foster possibly landing in the class. Since that time, Foster made it clear he’s going to take the process slow and evaluate his options. I’ve got no reason to move my crystal ball to anyone else, but I’m not as confident as I once was in Texas at this point. I’m scheduled to see Taylor this week, so we’ll talk to a few folks and re-gauge confidence.

OL Donovan Jackson, Bellaire Episcopal – There has been some smoke around Jackson’s name for the last month solid, and I’ve been close to entering a pick for Texas on several occasions. After talking to those around Jackson, it sounds like he will also take his time. That said, I think Texas is trending well here and they’ve made up ground at a much faster rate than I anticipated. Realistically, I see things going down with Jackson in the summer, but I like where Texas sits right now.

Holding Firm

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek – Texas made it through all of Collins’ official visits with no huge changes in his recruitment, and Texas now gets the last shot to host the big defensive lineman. The Longhorns held the lead in this recruitment through the summer and into the fall, and they can slam the door with a great official visit this week.

• Like 1

Mike Roach: Four-star WR Quentin Johnston's commitment still firm to Texas

Quentin Johnston is almost through his last season in high school. The four-star wide receiver prospect from Temple committed to Texas before the season started and has been focused on improving his game. Johnston is working on the finer details to make him a complete player. “Ya’ll have seen what I did last year, but it’s more expanding on that,” Johnston said. “It’s working on the small things that wasn’t the strong suits in my game last year. I wanted to focus on the blocking schemes and all that while expanding on the catching part as well.”

Johnston made a trip to Dallas for the Red River Showdown. When he spoke to Horns247 prior to the weekend, Johnston said he was looking forward to observing the mood in Fair Park. “I haven’t been there,” Johnston said. “I see it on tv every year. It’s just the atmosphere and the big crowds, intense game, and overall feel of everything.” TCU coaches showed up at Temple to see Johnston in action on Friday. He confirmed that several staffs have continued to reach out but he’s not looking around. “I’m still firm,” Johnston said. “No other visits for me and my commitment is one-hundred percent.”

Johnston attended the Texas-LSU matchup earlier in the year and he’s been able to watch most of their games on television. Even though they’ve suffered a few losses, he likes the way the team is playing offensively. “It’s a straight to the point team,” he said. “There’s no extra stuff. I like what I see. All the receivers are getting touches and everyone is blocking. I like it.”

Johnston was sold on Texas by wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer. His relationship with Mehringer was a big reason why, but the way Texas uses receivers of his size definitely appealed to him. “With them having bigger and taller receivers, I feel like I can fit in just fine,” he said. “He just felt like I’ve known him for a long time. He’s high-spirited and we have a great relationship. Every time I go down there I feel like I’ve been there a thousand times before.”

At 6-foot-4, 180 pounds, Johnston is ranked as the No. 13 wide receiver in the nation and No. 11 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Clint Buckley: Could Texas be an option for Hutto's Dajon Harrison?

With time quickly running out on the 2020 recruiting class, schools are beginning to make their final preparations for signing days in both December and February. The Texas Longhorns already have 20 commitments from current seniors, but there are a couple of positions they might want to address before moving on to 2021. And inside receiver is one of them.

Hutto senior receiver Dajon Harrison, a former TCU commit, is beginning to attract the attention of the Longhorns staff. He was on hand Saturday at the Cotton Bowl for the Red River Showdown, and Horns247 caught up with Harrison to discuss his recruitment. “I loved it,” Harrison said of his Texas-OU experience. “Being out there watching them go at it was an eye-opening experience for me.”

Harrison holds offers from 13 FBS schools at the moment. Texas, however, is not currently one of them. “Hopefully I get it,” Harrison said. “It’s definitely in the conversation, I’m just waiting for the call. I talk to (Jason Washington) often, but I talk to (Bryan Carrington) every day. I think it would turn a lot of heads but I’ve always believed in myself to do greater things. So for them to offer me would be amazing.”

Texas currently has two commitments at the receiver position, but both Quentin Johnston and Troy Omeire are the big-bodied type that play outside. A player like Harrison could be the slot receiver Texas needs to finish at the position in 2020. On the season in five games, Harrison has 17 catches for 437 yards and six touchdowns for undefeated Hutto.

Harrison said he doesn’t really have a timeline for when he wants to make his decision. “Whenever I feel I need to,” he said. “Could be soon, could be late. Preferably soon.” At 5-foot-11, 182 pounds, Harrison is the No. 145 ranked receiver in the nation and the No. 128 ranked player in Texas according to 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Buckley/Horns 247 - interview w/ Parr, who likes Hand and thinks we'll beat OU if we meet them again and are at full strength.  And a bunch of blah, blah, blah.  

Spoiler

San Antonio O’Connor 2020 offensive lineman Logan Parr has been committed to the Texas Longhorns since Oct. 28 of last year.

And with his senior season about to hit the back stretch, Parr was able to take in one of college football’s biggest spectacles last weekend: The Red River Showdown.

Horns247 caught up with Parr this week to talk about his time in Dallas, the Longhorns’ offensive line class in 2020, the current Texas team, and his deep and personal relationship with Herb Hand.

“The Cotton Bowl experience was great to experience from a fan’s point of view, and something I’ll never forget,” Parr said.

Despite the 34-27 loss to Oklahoma, Parr remains confident that if the Horns were to meet up with OU again in the Big 12 championship game, UT could find itself in the winner’s circle.

“What I got from the game is that if we win out and are able to face OU again, the outcome will be in favor of Texas due to to the key players who weren’t able to play in the game,” he said.

Texas currently has the nation’s fifth-best recruiting class in 2020, and the impressive offensive line haul includes Parr, Jaylen Garth, Jake Majors, and Andrej Karic.

“I’m really close with the O-line commits I’m going in with, and we talk on a daily basis,” Parr said.

But Parr might be even closer with his future position coach.

“Coach Hand was one of the biggest reasons why I committed to Texas,” Parr said. “It’s due to him being very personable and someone I could have a conversation with about life.”

At 6-foot-3.5 inches, 280 pounds, Parr is the nation’s No. 11 ranked offensive guard and the No. 44 ranked player in Texas according to 247Sports Composite Rankings.

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Four-star WR Quentin Johnston's commitment still firm to Texas

Captain Roach coming in to carry Drew M. water. As someone who has attended a Mehringer presentation, he is the exact same personality that fails to connect and lead on All-Access but he is Coach Herman's boy. If he moves on this off-season, that'll tell me that Coach is serious about hiring A's and not C's. Same for Horny running ST's, Warehime on staff in any capacity...Beck as OC.

16 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Captain Roach coming in to carry Drew M. water. As someone who has attended a Mehringer presentation, he is the exact same personality that fails to connect and lead on All-Access but he is Coach Herman's boy. If he moves on this off-season, that'll tell me that Coach is serious about hiring A's and not C's. Same for Horny running ST's, Warehime on staff in any capacity...Beck as OC.

Warehime runs STs.

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Horny doesn’t run ST. He’s not even allowed on the practice field. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

On 10/15/2019 at 9:17 PM, Wishbone said:

Is Machinator in the shop?

I feel like I've been in shop after dental visit and 3D stuff used to look inside my head...  Hope TARS is ok!!  🙏

Siap....

Somebody catch me up.... no LV Bunkley-Shelton OV this weekend Texas choice, and Horns possibly taking a step back (academics??).

is Dixon still solid flip??  What about Loic Fouonji and Dajon Harrison ??

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I feel like I've been in shop after dental visit and 3D stuff used to look inside my head...  Hope TARS is ok!!  🙏

Siap....

Somebody catch me up.... no LV Bunkley-Shelton OV this weekend Texas choice, and Horns possibly taking a step back (academics??).

is Dixon still solid flip??  What about Loic Fouonji and Dajon Harrison ??

LVBS:  Correct and correct.

Dixon:  Likely

Loic F:  Visiting officially this weekend.

Dajon H: Attended TX/OU; hoping for offer.  News first reported by CTJ, after he hosted Mod Appreciation Dinner for EJ Holland.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Goodman said:

Y’all need to dig deeper, Casey’s role is ST. Warehime carries the title and works with Casey as the on-field ST coach, they both should be gone.

Well, since Horny isn’t allowed to coach players, he isn’t the one who told Jake Smith and Brandon Jones to run up to attempt to catch punts, and he didn’t tell Duvernay to field kicks in all the ridiculous places Duvernay was fielding kicks Saturday. So, the whole Baylor thing may be a huge reason to hate the guy, but I don’t really see how we can blame him for stupid player decisions on STs when he isn’t coaching players. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Not even sure why Warehime is on staff. Was he at least useful in any of the recruitments this cycle?

Not really. I think he recruited Hullaby but I’m not even sure about that. Haven’t heard him mentioned with anyone else. At least one of the three of mehringer, Warehime, and Meekins has to go. It should be 2 of them IMO, but if Herman doesn’t jettison at least one of them this offseason, then it’s a huge issue. None of them do much in recruiting and none of them have proven to be particularly good coaches either. I think Herman recognizes this since he demoted them last season and there were rumors he was trying to place Mehringer and Warehime last offseason, but we’ll have to wait and see what Herman actually does. 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not really. I think he recruited Hullaby but I’m not even sure about that. Haven’t heard him mentioned with anyone else. At least one of the three of mehringer, Warehime, and Meekins has to go. It should be 2 of them IMO, but if Herman doesn’t jettison at least one of them this offseason, then it’s a huge issue. None of them do much in recruiting and none of them have proven to be particularly good coaches either. I think Herman recognizes this since he demoted them last season and there were rumors he was trying to place Mehringer and Warehime last offseason, but we’ll have to wait and see what Herman actually does. 

It's possible that Larry takes at least Mehringer wherever he goes. 

I'd love to find a way to keep Fedora on staff.  I'm sure he'll get better opportunities but it would be nice.  

I agree that Meh, Warehime and Meekins need to be moved.  Maybe give meekins a support role behind the scenes.  

We need to do whatever we can to keep Beatty and bring back Samples. 

Edited by Post Oak

8 hours ago, Getafix said:

LVBS:  Correct and correct.

Dixon:  Likely

Loic F:  Visiting officially this weekend.

Dajon H: Attended TX/OU; hoping for offer.  News first reported by CTJ, after he hosted Mod Appreciation Dinner for EJ Holland.

So yeah, Machinator definitely got tired of the robot jokes and thought the post-OU chaos was the perfect cover for the switch.

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Well, there's no way the third doctor is wrong and the first two are right, so I'm sure there's no chance this will adversely affect his football career.  God is good!

Hopefully the second AND third Dr disagreed with the first.  Either way, hopefully they're not making a shortsighted decision

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

I'd love to find a way to keep Fedora on staff.  I'm sure he'll get better opportunities but it would be nice.  

I agree that Meh, Warehime and Meekins need to be moved.  Maybe give meekins a support role behind the scenes.  

We need to do whatever we can to keep Beatty and bring back Samples. 

I listened to that podcast that has Taylor, Bobby and FCB.  FCB interviewed Beatty.. hard not to like the guy, really passionate.. Can tell he is an elite recruiter just by how fast he speaks. I'm sure he could get through on Special Teams

7 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Well, since Horny isn’t allowed to coach players, he isn’t the one who told Jake Smith and Brandon Jones to run up to attempt to catch punts, and he didn’t tell Duvernay to field kicks in all the ridiculous places Duvernay was fielding kicks Saturday. So, the whole Baylor thing may be a huge reason to hate the guy, but I don’t really see how we can blame him for stupid player decisions on STs when he isn’t coaching players. 

Horny can coach, just not on the field. There are videos of players going to QC assistants during their off-time and breaking down film and talking about technique. He might be able to sit in on position group meetings as well but I'm not sure about that. A substantial portion of teaching occurs off the field. 

E: I should add that I don't know whether Horny is our main ST guy, but it's certainly possible for a QC guy to handle a lot of responsibilities for something like that. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

22 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I listened to that podcast that has Taylor, Bobby and FCB.  FCB interviewed Beatty.. hard not to like the guy, really passionate.. Can tell he is an elite recruiter just by how fast he speaks. I'm sure he could get through on Special Teams

Yeah, Beatty can slip over to WR coach and become co-offensive coordinator and replace Me and Meh. Bring in someone like Randall Joyner to assist Giles and figure out whether Todd Orlando or Chris Ash should lead the defense.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, Beatty can slip over to WR coach and become co-offensive coordinator and replace Me and Meh. Bring in someone like Randall Joyner to assist Giles and figure out whether Todd Orlando or Chris Ash should lead the defense.

This is not a binary decision and Ash should not even be a potential option.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I can understand you not liking Ash and maybe his time at tOSU doesn't mean much, but, of course, he would be a potential option.

I never said he wouldn’t be an option, but he shouldn’t be. And either way, the options for DC next year are not only Orlando or Ash. Ash doesn’t have the resume or the experience against the spread to justify his hire. It would be another big mistake by Herman for hiring within his coaching tree. So far, Herman’s best hire has been someone he never coached with before and if he fires Orlando, it needs to be the same. 

Edited by Burt Macklin