Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He shouldn’t be. And either way, the options for DC next year are not only Orlando or Ash. Ash doesn’t have the resume or the experience against the spread to justify his hire. It would be another big mistake by Herman for hiring within his coaching tree. So far, Herman’s best hire has been someone he never coached with before and if he fires Orlando, it needs to be the same. 

What's more likely is 2 of Meekins/Mehringer/Warehime are let go, TH replaces one of them with a WR coach and one with a wunderkind at LB coach, a la Joe Brady. Maybe even make them a coDC, though I never like how that actually plays out.

17 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

I don't know much about him except the Oregon D is making headlines....Andy Avalos?  He's making less than a mill per year. 

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Oregon-Defensive-coordinator-andy-avalos-contract-details-129607455/

I'd obviously take him, he and Venables have been the best DCs in the country this year 

Machinator leaves and everything falls to shit on this thread. The new coaching talk is pointless, at least here on the recruiting thread. I'll be surprised if there are any fucking changes after the season. They'll win enough to justify for Herman that he's right and he's got himself a great staff, and they're generally each weak enough that the prospects of any of them getting poached seem remote. So buckle up, buttercups, and focus on the recruiting aspects. The coaching side of this spectacle is the shitshow to be avoided. Casey fucking Horny. Fucking hell.

• Like 2

Kipp Adams / Georgia 247 on Evans and Ringo.

Spoiler

5-STAR RB ZACHARY EVANS

THE ODDS: GOOD TO VERY GOOD -- The country's No. 1 running back took an unofficial visit to Georgia in July and behind the scenes, Georgia had some momentum and reason to be cautiously optimistic. It was thought he would go public with a commitment on Sept. 5 but that never transpired. Since then, Milton has taken an unofficial visit to Texas A&M and is expected to take an official visit to LSU in late October. Milton has been working hard to pitch Evans on the two forming a special duo in Athens and that pitch was originally met with favorable reaction. To add to the intrigue, Dell McGee continues to evaluating several other options to consider which will be best for the second running back in this class. That being said, Evans could still be the pick. There's just a lot more uncertainty in where things truly stand at this time.

(He means Evans has taken an UOV ... a typo.

5-STAR CB KELEE RINGO

THE ODDS: HIGH -- The Bulldogs could be the team to beat right now for the nation's No. 1 cornerback. He loved his last four visits to Georgia, including the one in May for the scavenger hunt and in July for the BBQ event. Ringo took the first of five official visits last weekend, to Oregon. Georgia could get him on campus again a fifth time for the Texas A&M game in November and a sixth time for an official visit in December. 

1 minute ago, Walte464 said:

On campus 6 times and still can’t get the commitment, something sounds fishy.

same can be said with him being at UT all spring break and he didn’t shut it down.

He's an NSD guy. It happens.

(not saying it's a clean recruitment, but it's hardly unique)

6 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

On campus 6 times and still can’t get the commitment, something sounds fishy.

same can be said with him being at UT all spring break and he didn’t shut it down.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's an NSD guy. It happens.

(not saying it's a clean recruitment, but it's hardly unique)

His mom being an airline employee may give him inexpensive travel options.

31 minutes ago, Getafix said:

His mom being an airline employee may give him inexpensive travel options.

trips from 247 Timeline

• 9/8/18 - UOV to Arizona St
  • 10/13 - UOV to Ohio St
  • 10/17 - UOV to Texas
  • 10/23 - UOV to Washington
  • 1/26/19 - UOV to UGA
  • 4/20/19 - UOV to UGA
  • 5/18/19 - UOV to UGA
  • 10/11/19 - OV to Oregon

He isn't going to see every major school a ton - even during the summer.

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Georgia has a scavenger hunt recruiting event? On one hand, extremely corny. On the other, stashing bags of cash all over campus for recruits to find is rather genius.

Hah. It's an interesting idea: https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Georgia-Football-Kirby-Smart-scavenger-hunt-132203123/

Georgia, however, is doing something a little different. Instead of the prospect camp formerly known as "Dawg Night" under Mark Richt, the Bulldogs have gone to "The Scavenger Hunt." Now that might sound a little cheesy, but the results can't really be disputed.

Over the past few years, UGA has been able to get a number of their top targets on campus and those players have taken to social media to express how much they enjoy it. According to Smart, who spoke with reporters prior to addressing Georgia fans at the Hargray Capitol Theatre on Monday, it was an idea born out of a desire to be different.

"I think we enjoy it as coaches because it’s different," Smart said. "We feel if a guy comes to our campus three or four times, what can you do different with him."

Back in the day, when we had recruits in town for our team's annual freshman scavenger hunt, they did actually have a fun time. It's a good way to get the competitiveness flowing and have them see the whole campus.

Works best if you have a pretty, compact campus *cough*not aggy*cough*

From OU/247, Drumm's pablum ... err, pabulum ... err ... palaver ... 

(The complete update is in the OU thread.  Posting his prattling re: Eaton/Blidi here.)

Spoiler

*** Another defensive lineman, that could become a target, is 2020 Texas Tech commit Philip Blidi. Blidi is an intriguing guy because he can play on both sides and potentially grow into a solid offensive tackle, if need be.

There hasn't been any contact from OU, yet, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility as a lot of Pac 12 schools have taken notice of the New Mexico product over the last few weeks.

*** On the Jacobe Covington front, I wouldn't expect OU to rush back into it with him. I am told it is more of an Arizona State deal than anything else. Will OU stay away completely? I am not saying that. I am saying, however, that OU has their guys they want at DB in Dontae Manning, Joshua Eaton and Jahquez Robinson. They feel they have shot at all three and like where they stand.

*** Lastly, four-star DB Joshua Eaton is still, what I would call, an OU lean at the moment. The OU win over Texas was a big deal and I am told that the communication with Texas has dwindled a bit. Does that mean he is going to decommit? No. It does, however, show that his interest in the Sooners is real.

I spoke to a source about Eaton and it seems there is some questions that need to be answered or proved by OU. No, it's not performance. The Sooners play on defense has shown that they are going to produce some players into the league. Now, the issue is the Riley to NFL deal. If Riley can subdue those rumors it will help a lot on the Eaton front. There is a strong belief that Riley would take the Cowboys job if offered. People around Norman don't think that to be the case, but it's also something that can't be really predicted.

Still, Riley and Eaton are in constant contact and he has told Eaton that he has no plans on heading to the NFL. At this point, it's up to Eaton to decide. Unfortunately for OU, other programs are using Riley's success against the Sooners and that isn't going to stop. It comes down to trust. If Eaton trusts that Riley will stay in Norman, like most around here believe, then OU has more than a punchers chance at flipping the elite 2020 DB.

When or if that flip happens is still in question. It's a wait and see deal with Eaton and OU willing to play that game as long as needed.

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

From OU/247, Drumm's pablum ... err, pabulum ... err ... palaver ... 

(The complete update is in the OU thread.  Posting his prattling re: Eaton/Blidi here.)

Hide contents

*** Another defensive lineman, that could become a target, is 2020 Texas Tech commit Philip Blidi. Blidi is an intriguing guy because he can play on both sides and potentially grow into a solid offensive tackle, if need be.

There hasn't been any contact from OU, yet, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility as a lot of Pac 12 schools have taken notice of the New Mexico product over the last few weeks.

*** On the Jacobe Covington front, I wouldn't expect OU to rush back into it with him. I am told it is more of an Arizona State deal than anything else. Will OU stay away completely? I am not saying that. I am saying, however, that OU has their guys they want at DB in Dontae Manning, Joshua Eaton and Jahquez Robinson. They feel they have shot at all three and like where they stand.

*** Lastly, four-star DB Joshua Eaton is still, what I would call, an OU lean at the moment. The OU win over Texas was a big deal and I am told that the communication with Texas has dwindled a bit. Does that mean he is going to decommit? No. It does, however, show that his interest in the Sooners is real.

I spoke to a source about Eaton and it seems there is some questions that need to be answered or proved by OU. No, it's not performance. The Sooners play on defense has shown that they are going to produce some players into the league. Now, the issue is the Riley to NFL deal. If Riley can subdue those rumors it will help a lot on the Eaton front. There is a strong belief that Riley would take the Cowboys job if offered. People around Norman don't think that to be the case, but it's also something that can't be really predicted.

Still, Riley and Eaton are in constant contact and he has told Eaton that he has no plans on heading to the NFL. At this point, it's up to Eaton to decide. Unfortunately for OU, other programs are using Riley's success against the Sooners and that isn't going to stop. It comes down to trust. If Eaton trusts that Riley will stay in Norman, like most around here believe, then OU has more than a punchers chance at flipping the elite 2020 DB.

When or if that flip happens is still in question. It's a wait and see deal with Eaton and OU willing to play that game as long as needed.

Palaven?

Spoiler

4909237-1406054691.jpg

holy shit is this the nerdiest semi-pun I've ever made?