Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The bot being MIA presents a nice opportunity for you to take back the reigns as chief content poster on the Recruiting board once again.

I remember back in the day when we made due without a bot to post every tweet the second it hit the internet. 

I'm ready. Though honestly, I'm never going to post every commit play that Roach posts.

Don't worry everyone. I bring good news of great joy that will be for all the degenerates. Last night I had a dream that Machinator returned. I was overwhelmed with excitement, until I realized what a sad existence I must be living to have a dream about this. Regardless, the prophecy remains.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Don't worry everyone. I bring good news of great joy that will be for all the degenerates. Last night I had a dream that Machinator returned. I was overwhelmed with excitement, until I realized what a sad existence I must be living to have a dream about this. Regardless, the prophecy remains.

Sooooo, would you say the sleeper has awaken? 

I’ll see myself out now. 

• Like 2

Roach / 247 on Alfred Collins and Loic Fouonji.

Key terms:

"illicit" 😟

pieces of the puzzle

cherry on top

leader in the race

open a gap (calm down, South Austin)

neck and neck

Spoiler

Longhorns hosting two big official visitors this weekend

A home game against Kansas doesn’t usually illicit a star-studded visitor list, but the Longhorns will host two huge prospects on official visits this weekend. As Texas looks to round out the 2020 class that currently ranks No. 5 nationally and No. 1 in the Big 12, the Longhorns will try to secure a few more pieces of the puzzle this weekend.

The Longhorns are close to sweeping the top defensive line prospects in-state, but Alfred Collins is the cherry on top of the sundae. The four-star defensive end from Bastrop Cedar Creek is ranked as the No. 8 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 22 overall prospect in Texas, according to the 247Sports Composite.

The Longhorns have been heavily in the mix for the local prospect since they offered last fall. Collins has been to Texas more than any other school during his recruitment, and Texas has been the perceived leader in the race since the spring. The Longhorns are getting the last official visit on Collins’ schedule.

So far this fall, he’s been to Oklahoma, Alabama, and Texas A&M. The Aggies were considered the main opponent throughout the spring and summer, but Texas seemed to open a gap late in the summer. Oklahoma and Alabama both made impressions on Collins during his visits, and there is some optimism in Norman about landing him.

Still, Texas has the most built-in advantages. Collins’ mother was a former women’s basketball player for the Longhorns, and the proximity to Bastrop is huge. Collins is also close with several Texas commits including Austin products Princely Umanmielen and Hudson Card. The Longhorns currently hold 100% of the picks on the 247Sports Crystal Ball with nine picks in.

The other big visitor expected to be on campus this weekend is Midland Lee wide receiver Loic Fouonji. The 247Sports four-star ranks as the No. 74 wide receiver in the nation and No. 62 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite. Fouonji is in the middle of an incredible senior season accumulating 848 yards and 15 touchdowns on 32 receptions so far.

The Longhorns offered Fouonji in the spring, but his interest ran lukewarm as he visited schools that had been recruiting him longer during the summer. Fouonji took official visits to SMU and Oklahoma State during June, and he was at Texas Tech for an official trip a few weeks ago. Texas is pushing to get into position to land Fouonji, and this weekend represents the biggest opportunity for them.

Oklahoma State and SMU ran neck and neck throughout the summer, but Texas Tech is starting to generate the most buzz within the recruitment. Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer has been working to build the relationship, and Texas has an obvious sell with their ability to utilize large receivers within their offense. Saturday will present them with opportunities to flex their passing game against Kansas, and Fouonji will have a front row seat.

The Texas recruiting effort has been red-hot since the summer, and the Longhorns can close two more big prizes this weekend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Key terms:

"illicit" 😟

pieces of the puzzle

cherry on top

leader in the race

neck and neck

Hide contents

A home game against Kansas doesn’t usually illicit a star-studded visitor list, but the Longhorns will host two huge prospects on official visits this weekend. As Texas looks to round out the 2020 class that currently ranks No. 5 nationally and No. 1 in the Big 12, the Longhorns will try to secure a few more pieces of the puzzle this weekend.

The Longhorns are close to sweeping the top defensive line prospects in-state, but Alfred Collins is the cherry on top of the sundae. The four-star defensive end from Bastrop Cedar Creek is ranked as the No. 8 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 22 overall prospect in Texas, according to the 247Sports Composite.

The Longhorns have been heavily in the mix for the local prospect since they offered last fall. Collins has been to Texas more than any other school during his recruitment, and Texas has been the perceived leader in the race since the spring. The Longhorns are getting the last official visit on Collins’ schedule.

So far this fall, he’s been to Oklahoma, Alabama, and Texas A&M. The Aggies were considered the main opponent throughout the spring and summer, but Texas seemed to open a gap late in the summer. Oklahoma and Alabama both made impressions on Collins during his visits, and there is some optimism in Norman about landing him.

Still, Texas has the most built-in advantages. Collins’ mother was a former women’s basketball player for the Longhorns, and the proximity to Bastrop is huge. Collins is also close with several Texas commits including Austin products Princely Umanmielen and Hudson Card. The Longhorns currently hold 100% of the picks on the 247Sports Crystal Ball with nine picks in.

The other big visitor expected to be on campus this weekend is Midland Lee wide receiver Loic Fouonji. The 247Sports four-star ranks as the No. 74 wide receiver in the nation and No. 62 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite. Fouonji is in the middle of an incredible senior season accumulating 848 yards and 15 touchdowns on 32 receptions so far.

The Longhorns offered Fouonji in the spring, but his interest ran lukewarm as he visited schools that had been recruiting him longer during the summer. Fouonji took official visits to SMU and Oklahoma State during June, and he was at Texas Tech for an official trip a few weeks ago. Texas is pushing to get into position to land Fouonji, and this weekend represents the biggest opportunity for them.

Oklahoma State and SMU ran neck and neck throughout the summer, but Texas Tech is starting to generate the most buzz within the recruitment. Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer has been working to build the relationship, and Texas has an obvious sell with their ability to utilize large receivers within their offense. Saturday will present them with opportunities to flex their passing game against Kansas, and Fouonji will have a front row seat.

The Texas recruiting effort has been red-hot since the summer, and the Longhorns can close two more big prizes this weekend.

elicit*

jfc, use a dictionary 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Key terms:

"illicit" 😟

pieces of the puzzle

cherry on top

leader in the race

neck and neck

Hide contents

Thanks 'bot. 

Horns 247 / Wiltfong on Fouonji

Note on Loic Fouonji official

- Texas is pushing.  Real good.

- Staying through Monday.  The visit is a longi, not a quickie.

Happy innuendo Friday!

Spoiler

Hearing he will be in Austin into Monday so his official won't be one of those quick experiences trying to get back on Sunday.

I think Texas Tech has done a great job here but the Longhorns obviously do well in those head to heads historically and this is a prospect they're pushing for.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I need to understand why we now have Getafix and not Machinator. I can’t live this way without knowing. What the hell is going on.

Somebody needs to brew the magic potion so we can beat the shit out of OU next time. Sometimes you need to sell your robot for the greater good.

33 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Getafix also seems to not have an IT sub. Big loss in the patch. Like SimCity3000 vs. shitty new Sim City.

If you're looking for the IT Humidor, here it is

By: Justin and Eric

Kansas presents itself as a great rebound opportunity this week and that's exactly what Texas fans should expect to see. We'll hear the tired 'it's Kansas' (no duh, thanks) if they play well but the important thing is they use Kansas as a chance to regain solid schematic and fundamental footing.

TEAM

I know it's time to look forward but we were pretty harsh on the coaches this week. The players definitely deserve some blame. "They heard quite a bit from Herman about it on the trip home but once back in Austin, Ehlinger really let the team have it. Of course he included himself too. He felt like the team didn't prepare hard enough for a regular game much less Oklahoma. He was especially hard on his boys on the o-line."

Herman said this week "they got back to who they were." What does he mean by that? "It was a return to Fall camp energy. It feels like they're going into the first game of the year, not the seventh." On numerous occasions we've mentioned the physicality of Tuesday practices. With all the missed tackles I'm left wondering what that means. "They still hit but didn't go to the ground. Lots of violent collisions."

I figured that, I wonder if that's been part of the problem because they're clearly not afraid to hit but aren't wrapping up. Lots of tackling this week, huh? "Tons of tackling to the ground. They tackled to the ground for two practices which is a big shift." Of course issues with tackling go beyond just form. Missed tackles stem from poor leverage, playing slow, etc. What's been done to fix that? "Things will be a lot more simplified. I don't want to say too much on that but you could probably guess fewer blitzes and guys just playing their position and not asked to do too much."

Setting the edge has been a big issue. How do they fix that? "Simplifying things helps there as well. I think there's a good chance you'll see Joseph Ossai playing more B-backer this week." Any other interesting personnel things? Obviously they're pretty banged up in the back 8. "There will be a new starter but it shouldn't be mentioned explicitly. No need to put a target on the player's back if it gets to Kansas. It should be interesting to see."

Is former Ohio State defensive coordinator Chris Ash still hanging around? "I doubt it. If so he was much more visible last week. Didn't look like he had much input anyway. Probably nothing to it." Herman mentioned Jordan Whittington headed back to Philadelphia to check the progress on his hernia surgery. Any info there? "He's still in physical therapy. He's jogging. Maybe this will get him cleared for more strenuous activity. I'm not sure when he'll be able to return."

Yeah, injury questions are always tricky. The offense could use a little more dynamism. Hopefully they get him back after the bye. What's the latest on offense? "Get back to who they are. Mix run and pass, maybe not in that order. Work the ball around. Get these receivers making plays again. Do a better job creating space. Get Johnson more carries because he's earned them. Play clean up front."

Surprise starter, eh? This will be fun to watch. It's a player I've been high on. At some point I'll offer a hint that the more perceptive readers will pick up on.

STATE OF RECRUITING

This weekend Texas is set to host two prospects from the 2020 class for official visits - Bastrop Cedar Creek’s Alfred Collins and Midland Lee’s Loic Fouonji. With Collins, this wraps up his official visits after previously seeing Alabama, Texas A&M, and OU. After UT hosted Collins for the La Tech game, it appeared the Longhorns were out front for the 6-foot-5, 275-pound four-star defensive lineman. As it stands going into this weekend, I’d still give Texas the edge but they need to close it out.

Little bits of smoke have been building around Collins’ pursuit, with Oklahoma feeling better about its chances of late after thinking he was headed to UT after he took his official to Norman. Despite it all, I hear UT is still the quiet leader and will be looking to nail this down this weekend. I’ve heard Collins is thinking about an All-American Bowl (San Antonio) announcement, but I could see him expedite that timeline to save himself from hearing the same questions over and over from reporters. Regardless, I believe the Horns can solidify their spot with a great visit.

For Fouonji, the West Texas product isn’t a natural-born Texan. He came over to the motherland from a foreign country that starts with the letter C similar to @Eric Nahlin’s travels. The 6-foot-4, 195-pound Cameroonian is a fan of Texas and the staff, but not being a native Texan means UT isn’t the big deal that it normally is with in-state targets. He likes Texas Tech a lot, Oklahoma State some, and SMU is quietly in this.

His senior year has really cemented his place as a top pass-catcher in the state for 2020. With 903 yards receiving on 51 receptions and 13 touchdowns, the long-strider is becoming a highly productive offensive weapon. Texas really wants to take over this recruitment. Texas Tech is a school that Fouonji’s parents like, so winning them over is imperative in this pursuit. He’s looking hard at engineering programs, so an academic tour is a must on this official.

Switching gears to cornerback, Texas commit Josh Eaton has his eyes on both sides of the Red River. There’s a sense UT might not be pushing as hard as the Sooners for the Aldine MacArthur corner. OU just lost Ryan Watts to fOSU and Eaton has become a priority. Texas has two corners it likes and is still pushing for a corner it loves. The real question is if Eaton flips and Texas can't land Kelee Ringo, what will the staff do? They could either save the ship or push for Pflugerville Connolly three-star Jahdae Barron. Maybe pair a Land Barron with a Land Lord?

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound Baylor pledge recently visited for the Red River Shootout and could have his eyes on UT. With 15 offers including Tennessee, Arizona, Oklahoma State, and TCU, Barron could be a late addition if the Horns’ staff felt compelled to push for his services. He's definitely one to watch, along with Hutto’s Dajon Harrison, a three-star athlete Texas views as a WR or DB.

Big news came out this week with Texas commit Hudson Card’s foot injury in a win over rival Austin Westlake. At first, it was determined he’d require surgery, but after getting two more opinions it’s been decided surgery won’t be needed. Card hopes he can return to action for the second round of the playoffs. Another injured pledge, PNG’s Jaylen Garth recently threw his crutches aside after his season-ending knee injury. After speaking with the four-star offensive lineman I’ve found Garth is helping the team in other ways, like being another coach on the sidelines.

PNG coach Brian Faircloth says Garth has been tremendous with helping his teammates while his spirit and faith have persevered during his lost senior season. The top quarterback target for Texas in 2022, Southlake Carroll’s Quinn Ewers, is enjoying a fantastic sophomore campaign. National schools are flocking to see the potential five-star.

While Texas is thought to be in great shape, Alabama is pushing hard as well. So much that Ewers is taking an unofficial to Tuscaloosa this weekend. While I’ve heard Ewers prefers a junior year commitment, he’s open to shutting down if/when the time is right. He may see Clemson as well but as we've mentioned this sets up to be a no frills recruitment. Riley Dodge has the Dragons looking like the Todd Dodge Dragons and Ewers is the straw that stirs the drink.

• Like 4