Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It would be nice if we had a decent defense or coach, because a guy Unomanoimano’s size is a perfect fit to play DE in a 3 man front. If he wants to play DE in a 4 man front he needs to stop growing. 

You're logged into Scorpio right now, this makes entirely too much sense to have been posted on your sock.

30 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hmm .... 

In the thread that followed from Roach's post, he added this comment - "I still feel confident in Texas here".  It wasn't in response to a specific question, so sounds like Roach is feeling good.  Given how hesitant he is about saying anything definitive, that's a positive sign.  He may even have gotten something off the record from Collins (just my guess).

To be clearer, I was curious about how tight Princely and Collins are, not Princely and Nahlin. Collins was at UT last week, he saw everything we saw up close and in person.

Sidenote, a thread like this for Surly would be glorious: https://insidetexas.com/forums/threads/official-pessimists-and-sourpusses-thread-please-stay-out.85771/#post-2857964

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I'm not one to defend Orlando or his scheme but Omenihu managed to get the passer pretty damn consistently last year.    Scheme shit aside, it appears we flat out don't have an above average pass rushing linemen on the roster.

Thats because we keep putting Ossai in coverage.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

This was posted by TFLoss.

Also from The Football Brainiacs...they mentioned there is some tension in the locker room between certain players and coaches.

An offensive starter intentionally skipped practice this week as a result.

fucking lulz.  the locker room is a fucking mess.

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Are you actually volunteering to contain yourself to just one thread on this whole board? That's mighty generous of you. Because right now that thread is basically wherever you post and the immediate aftermath. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Also from The Football Brainiacs...they mentioned there is some tension in the locker room between certain players and coaches.

Does Epps count? 

12 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

from a poster at TFB (was reported on the radio):

Heard on the the radio earlier that we have a disgruntled offensive starter who skipped practice this week and will be disciplined Saturday. Interested to see who it is. Apparently it was reported by Super K behind the paywall, but they (Trey and BK) gave credit to the Brainiacs.

guess we see who it is soon

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

CDC/Herman should get a consultant in here during the bye, then give Jimmy Lake $2M/yr to come in here and restore DBU.

Can Aranda be had?  I'm all for the 4-man front because guys like Adeleye, Landon Jackson, ect. ain't coming here with what we have going now.

If Herman is adamant about the 3-man front then go after Heacock.  His defense has been top notch for several years.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Can Aranda be had?  I'm all for the 4-man front because guys like Adeleye, Landon Jackson, ect. ain't coming here with what we have going now.

If Herman is adamant about the 3-man front then go after Heacock.  His defense has been top notch for several years.

I mean, Orlando is making like $1.7 and Aranda is making $2.5 - you are going to have to PAY him to leave there, say another 250k or 500k.

paying $3m to a coordinator is a fuckton of money. 

1 minute ago, NoName said:

I mean, Orlando is making like $1.7 and Aranda is making $2.5 - you are going to have to PAY him to leave there, say another 250k or 500k.

paying $3m to a coordinator is a fuckton of money. 

are we are or are we not the joneses? keep paying $1.7M for shit or $3M for someone who can help take to the next level?

but i see your point.  there has to be 3 or 4 other DCs who aren't idiots.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I doubt Aranda can be had. Need to go find someone who runs a 4-2-5 to make use of current and recruited personnel, like Scalley at Utah. 

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

I got negged by like ten of you for saying he was probably going to de-commit after the OU debacle. He won't be the last one. The only defensive recruits I consider 100% solid are Crawford, Thompson, Alford, and possibly Broughton. This defense is broke and Herman didn't help himself by stating "stats don't matter for dlinemen" multiple times during press conferences over the last few weeks. 

CDC/Herman should get a consultant in here during the bye, then give Jimmy Lake $2M/yr to come in here and restore DBU.

-rep for bitching about rep

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Thought he was reported to be coming around/intrigued by the pitch of playing B-backer?

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

are we are or are we not the joneses? keep paying $1.7M for shit or $3M for someone who can help take to the next level?

but i see your point.  there has to be 3 or 4 other DCs who aren't idiots.

I mean i get what you are saying, but there are only like 7 guys making over 1.5m total and only 3 making over 2m (Aranda, Venables, Steele) . you are drastically overpaying in a market where you can get someone else for less almost guaranteed.

i think if you offer $3m you have to at least get him to listen, but that is a fuckton when he can shop it back to LSU and get more money or get a match based on how much they are paying Coach O - that isn't including his buyout which i think is 40% of whatever $ he has remaining or how much you have to guarantee him.

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

At the end of the Kansas game, Princely was on the sidelines and another current player in uniform was in his ear.  Player talking didn't seem very happy that we just escaped with a dub.  Need to re-watch the end and see which player that was.

the longhornnation game archive ends right after Dicker's made kick so can't check it there...

Just now, NoName said:

the longhornnation game archive ends right after Dicker's made kick so can't check it there...

when i get back from my daughter's soccer practice.. I'll try and see if they show it from the OnDemand LHN broadcast..I had to catch the ending on my phone Saturday night.

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

At the end of the Kansas game, Princely was on the sidelines and another current player in uniform was in his ear.  Player talking didn't seem very happy that we just escaped with a dub.  Need to re-watch the end and see which player that was.

if current players are telling recruits not to come, holy shit that's a whole new level of lost the locker room.

So just to sum this week up:

1. We almost lose at home to Kansas

2. We solidify our 130th ranked passing defense

3. One of our young star players tweets at halftime

4. One of our 2019 recruits enters the transfer portal

5. We lose one of our defensive linemen commits and probably at least one other defensive commit

6. A starter on offense gets mad at his position coach and skips practice and will miss the TCU game

Does that sum up this fucking dumpster fire of a week?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Pretty sure it was Vaughns, no? I recall seeing two players talking to him, don't remember the other.

Edit: here's a shitty screen recording from the WatchESPN replay. There are two shots of Princely here. https://streamable.com/pq2i0

Edited by ChampionshipLevelPiss

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So just to sum this week up:

1. We almost lose at home to Kansas

2. We solidify our 130th ranked passing defense

3. One of our young star players tweets at halftime

4. One of our 2019 recruits enters the transfer portal

5. We lose one of our defensive linemen commits and probably at least one other defensive commit

6. A starter on offense gets mad at his position coach and skips practice and will miss the TCU game

Does that sum up this fucking dumpster fire of a week?

7.  It’s only Wednesday 

I think everyone is missing on the fun exercise that could be guessing the player who skipped practice. Who are the offensive coaches? And by process of elimination, who is the most easily despised motherfucker who has a history of not getting along with...

Kidding, it's not a fucking mystery it's Drew Mehringer. Since technically he only coaches Outside WRs, and I don't think it's Johnson, that means it's likely Epps or Eagles. But for maximum fury, and since we're playing it fast and loose with the starter label anyway, it's Jake Smith guys. 

• Like 1

Posts from Anwar

"There seems to be something to it. I am hearing there is some truth to this, but nobody wants to say who the person is. I'm told the situation is sensitive. It appears there might be more to story than a guy just skipping practice to be rebellious. Be patient with this one."

"It means the player might be going through something that goes beyond football."

"I'm told it's a "welfare" deal and they want to be very sensitive to the player. What that means? I don't know. Like you, I hope it's nothing major."

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Posts from Anwar

"There seems to be something to it. I am hearing there is some truth to this, but nobody wants to say who the person is. I'm told the situation is sensitive. It appears there might be more to story than a guy just skipping practice to be rebellious. Be patient with this one."

"It means the player might be going through something that goes beyond football."

"I'm told it's a "welfare" deal and they want to be very sensitive to the player. What that means? I don't know. Like you, I hope it's nothing major."

Collin freaking out that he came back for this.

36 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So just to sum this week up:  1. We almost lose at home to Kansas.  2. We solidify our 130th ranked passing defense.  3. One of our young star players tweets at halftime.  4. One of our 2019 recruits enters the transfer portal.  5. We lose one of our defensive linemen commits and probably at least one other defensive commit.  6. A starter on offense gets mad at his position coach and skips practice and will miss the TCU game.  Does that sum up this fucking dumpster fire of a week?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

/s

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

It was Vaughn but they didn't look disgruntled.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Not sure what you mean by 4 man front, but he runs the same defense as us, except  he uses the B-backer regularly, like Orlando should. His defense isn’t really a 4 man front, but either way, DL like Collins, VB, Tunmise, etc. won’t love the system/sack numbers with Aranda much more. Grant Delpit, a safety, led their defense with 5 sacks last year. 

Plus he’s making $2.5 million on a team that has a great shot at making the playoff with better/deeper personnel moving forward. Why would he leave for a lateral position even if we offer like $3 million.

On 10/22/2019 at 8:53 AM, irishtexan said:

You're quoting an anonymous poster on Orangebloods? You are a fucking idiot.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:13 PM, texifornia said:

I just can't see that being the way a competently-run P5 program operates

On 10/21/2019 at 7:20 PM, TheFlyingBoat said:

If you believe this moron on OB you're dumber than aggy

IT is now reporting CDC might force changes. Not sure why you guys believe a guy who is a perfectionist about every other aspect of the program and was AD for a defensive wizard at TCU would willingly bury his head in the sand about the potato running our defense in the ground. Yes, it's Herman''s staff but CDC is still on top of the chain of command and according to IT they're not besties. 

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 3