Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

How much do you want to bet on this? You willing to put 500 dollars on a 1:10 bet that he doesn't get fired since you are so confident he will? That's a free 500 for you if you are as confident as you say are and 5000 for me when you're invariably wrong.

Herman’s sock confirmed.

37 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

How much do you want to bet on this? You willing to put 500 dollars on a 1:10 bet that he doesn't get fired since you are so confident he will? That's a free 500 for you if you are as confident as you say are and 5000 for me when you're invariably wrong.

If they bring him back they should comp our season tickets. Although I've said the same thing before, most recently about Watson and keep giving them my money during all seasons.

Edited by Goodman

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

You will look foolish in a few months just like the "Orlando will be a HC soon" folks look now. CDC isn't putting up with this shit. He spent a decade w/ Patterson, so he knows what sound defense looks like. 

(Horns247 Staff) Eyes of Texas: Working on Relationships, Intel on Pouncey's

‘WORKING ON RELATIONSHIPS’

Last week in the Eyes, we talked about which Texas team would show up in Fort Worth to face TCU? For three and a half quarters, with Texas leading 20-13, the Longhorns were doing enough to win against the Horned Frogs. But then TCU scored on four of its next five possessions, with 10 of those points coming off Sam Ehlinger interceptions, as TCU pulled away for a 37-27 victory.

A win might’ve quieted the murmurs of discord inside the Texas locker room, according to sources, that appeared to be occurring between older and younger players. Sophomore receiver Brennan Eagles was suspended for the TCU game after missing practice for personal reasons last Tuesday after allegedly airing some grievances about inconsistency in the way some players are being treated by Herman. Sophomore receiver Jordan Pouncey entered the transfer portal Thursday, the same day his younger brother Ethan, a four-star cornerback recruit, de-committed from Texas.

Last week, recruits Princely Umanmielen, a four-star defensive lineman from Manor, and Joshua Eaton, a four-star cornerback from Aldine MacArthur, de-committed after offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd entered the transfer portal. There’s rumbling of more drama to come in terms of the portal and/or possible de-commitments. Tom Herman’s tough love culture isn’t for everyone. In fact, he tells recruits during the recruiting process not to expect him to be their friend.

Herman acknowledged after practice on Wednesday, however, he and his players had a “heart-to-heart team meeting Tuesday” in an effort to work on “relationships.” "We’ve got a lot of older veterans and lot of young guys and we’ve got to find some of those bridge guys from the older group to the younger group,” Herman said. “Last year, when Andrew Beck spoke, people listened, and one of the reasons why was we had a sophomore named Sam Ehlinger who could relate to the older guys. Right now, we’re talking to Joseph Ossai, Keaontay Ingram, Keondre Coburn, Junior Angilau - those kind of guys - to make sure we bridge that gap and the younger guys have the same sense of urgency as the older guys.”

So how was all of that received? “It’s been positive,” Herman said. “There’s been a ton of accountability. Human nature, when you don’t get the outcome you desire, is to blame others, complain about your circumstances and defend yourself. Blame, complain, defend. We had a good heart-to-heart team meeting on Tuesday about how we can’t have that. You have to fight human nature. If you want the outcome to change, you have to change your response. The old adage is, ‘Keep doing what you’re doing, and keep getting what you’ve got.’ So we have to crank the sense of urgency up for some and the attention to detail for some others. But I think they are very keenly aware there’s a lot of football left to be played.”

Herman said everyone in the program understands “we have not performed to our standards the last few weeks but still have plenty of football left to play. Our backs are against the wall or on the ropes — however you want to say it — and we’ll find out what kind of fighters we have. I think Malcolm Roach said it best after the game: ‘The only thing we’ve trained for is to come together and fight.’ We’ve got to get better fundamentally, schematically, get better as coaches and punch our way off the ropes. I really love the energy we’ve had at practice.”

According to sources, Herman is allowing players to leave campus after practice on Friday, returning Sunday. Herman said players he expects to return from injury for UT’s home game against Kansas State Nov. 9 include: Safety Caden Sterns (knee), safety B.J. Foster (shoulder), safety DeMarvion Overshown (shoulder), linebacker Jeffrey McCulloch (shoulder) and running back Jordan Whittington (sports hernia).

Getting those players on the field should make a difference, especially on a defense that has given up an average of 14.8 points per game in the fourth quarter this season (including a season-high 24 points in the fourth against Kansas).

Herman often serves as the crazy-eyed drill sergeant for his tough-love culture while having assistant coaches serve as the shoulders for players to lean on in tough times. That formula will always be tested in times of adversity like the 5-3 Longhorns are experiencing now after losing two of their last three. Actions, of course, speak louder than words. And until Texas can get back on the field Nov. 9 against Kansas State, Longhorns’ fans are hoping any more transfer portal news or word of recruits de-committing quiets down and the winning resumes. If that news doesn’t quiet down, there may be more to this story than players struggling to get through a rough patch of the season with a severe case of blame, complain and defend.

(Chip Brown)

MORE INTEL ON THE POUNCEY BROTHERS

As Horns247 reported earlier Thursday, redshirt sophomore receiver Jordan Pouncey intends to enter the transfer portal, with the news coming moments after his younger brother, four-star cornerback commit Ethan Pouncey, making the decision to de-commit from Texas. After speaking with multiple sources with insight about the situation, Jordan Pouncey’s decision to leave the Forty Acres is in an effort to land at another University with hopes of seeing more playing time.

The elder Pouncey’s decision to leave Texas made a direct impact on his brother’s decision to de-commit from the Longhorns, as Jordan’s decision played a significant factor on Ethan’s de-commitment, multiple sources confirmed Thursday. Ethan Pouncey has missed his senior season with an injury that is expected to require surgery, sources told Horns247, but the brother’s plans, as it stands, is to find a school that will take both of them so that they can play together at the college level.

(Taylor Estes)

WHITTINGTON LOOKING GOOD

Talked to a few team sources about the progress of five-star freshman running back Jordan Whittington, and there is a lot of optimism about Whittington’s ability to help the offense. “He looks great,” said one team source. “I think he can make an immediate impact, even coming off the injury.” Whittington has done work in individual drills only up to this point but should be cleared for contact in team work by next Tuesday, Tom Herman said.

Whittington showed in the spring, as an early enrollee freshman, and again in fall camp, he’s an explosive runner and dependable pass catcher who plays with a physical, tackle-breaking style. “The biggest thing I think he brings to the offense is his toughness and his fiercely determined attitude,” said one team source. “And that kind of attitude is contagious.”

(Chip Brown)

3 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

If Herman retains Orlando then next season will be Herman’s last as the Head Coach for the University of Texas’ football team.  If Herman wants to die on that hill then he doesn’t need to be here.

12 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

Based on? Just wondering if there’s any smoke there.

It's been posted IT hinted that Washington and Watson may be unhappy...

Also prior to TCU, comments have been made about Jake Smith and obviously Eagles as also not happy... 

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

100%

Because the defense is about as bad as it could possibly be, it’s a pretty safe bet that they will trend in a positive direction over the last four games. That’s all Herman will need to him keep him on staff.

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

It's been posted IT hinted that Washington and Watson may be unhappy...

Also prior to TCU, comments have been made about Jake Smith and obviously Eagles as also not happy... 

Washington’s and Watson’s dads were bitching on Twitter about a lack of playing time right after the TCU game.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Herman don't give a shit.  What is his buyout?  30million?  

22 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Washington’s and Watson’s dads were bitching on Twitter about a lack of playing time right after the TCU game.

I’m all for Washington getting more reps, but didn’t we all see Watson with his opportunity @West Virginia? Kid got torched on consecutive pass plays to give up 6 in garbage time. Cook should have been starting the whole game vs TCU  instead of Jamison. It was only till he let Reagor blow by him for an easy 6 that Cook came in. Where was the staff supposed to fit Watson in? Some of these helicopter parents are out of control. 

Washington's dad tweeted out that who knew Texas would have the same record as mizzu.. I get the transfer portal and how it benefits the young men.. However I didn't see it as a quick way out once you hit the first sign of adversity either. We just gotta deal with it, it's here to stay 

11 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Horns247 Staff) Eyes of Texas: Working on Relationships, Intel on Pouncey's

The problem with this update and Herman is that he thinks the problem is between younger and older players. It obviously ignores the potential fact that perhaps all the players dislike him, and dislike their position coaches because there is no real shoulder to cry on, it's just bad cop after bad cap. Allegedly. 

But i'd expect nothing less from a narcissist to preach about human nature to blame other people, all the while ignoring that all the problems on the team are because of the players, and not himself and his coaches. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Losing tends to create shitty culture which leads to more losing. 

When you started dating your girlfriend, she was hot and everyone wanted her. Then she ate a shit ton, got fat, became bitchy and lazy. Who wouldn't want to GTFO.

I mean I get that.  But, we have all these receivers who I guess think they should start over Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay...

We’ve seen the DB play go from bad to worse with playing younger and inexperienced players due to injuries.  

Some of these guys need to sit down, shut up and learn.

14 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

You will look foolish in a few months just like the "Orlando will be a HC soon" folks look now. CDC isn't putting up with this shit. He spent a decade w/ Patterson, so he knows what sound defense looks like. 

I mean, I get what you're saying, but one doesn't need to spend a decade with Patterson to understand that what Texas is playing right now is a far cry from "sound defense". Drunken hobos, collapsed and half-dead laying in front of a tv shop could see Texas on display on the screens and call out the stupid fucking coaching and poor technique.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I mean, I get what you're saying, but one doesn't need to spend a decade with Patterson to understand that what Texas is playing right now is a far cry from "sound defense". Drunken hobos, collapsed and half-dead laying in front of a tv shop could see Texas on display on the screens and call out the stupid fucking coaching and poor technique.

I wouldn't give @SydneyCarton that much credit.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The problem with this update and Herman is that he thinks the problem is between younger and older players. It obviously ignores the potential fact that perhaps all the players dislike him, and dislike their position coaches because there is no real shoulder to cry on, it's just bad cop after bad cap. Allegedly. 

But i'd expect nothing less from a narcissist to preach about human nature to blame other people, all the while ignoring that all the problems on the team are because of the players, and not himself and his coaches. 

That was my thought as well- Mehringer has a harsh reputation and is a douche to boot. What college kid would want to be his buddy?

I had one major concern when Herman was hired and expressed it on shaggy. His thin-skinned arrogance combined with his military boot camp mentality was an inappropriate approach for a bunch of entitled gifted athletes with helicopter parents that often provide poor leadership and guidance to their kids.

I didn’t think then and still don’t think now that runny eggs is the way to build a successful culture. If the athletes all had the mindset of a Navy Seal it would be an awesome approach. Guess what? Elite college athletes are not like Navy Seals.

Now we are seeing that there is questionable coaching at multiple positions, and potentially a culture damaging management style of screaming that is also inline with a Navy Seal approach that is not effective for college football players.

The result is a dysfunctional culture. What’s the solution? The odds of the same “CEO” changing culture in a company is pretty low. Usually it requires a change in CEO. We will see but I’m not very optimistic.

• Like 2