Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

On 11/8/2019 at 11:15 PM, texifornia said:

Hutto Hippos is just a phenomenal high school mascot choice.

Hippos can’t swim or float! They walk or stand on surfaces below the water like sandbanks. Even so, they spend most of the day in water to protect their sensitive skin from the sun.

19 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I’m here for hippo facts

Although hippos can hold their breath for approximately seven minutes, most adult hippos resurface every three to five minutes to breathe. This is an automatic process – even sleeping hippo surface to breathe without waking.

Stampede

There isn’t a ton going on with recruiting right now as the Texas coaches focus on finishing the season strong. Still, there are some irons in the fire and the Longhorns hosted a big official visitor over the weekend. Despite a rough October for the Longhorns, November got off to a strong start following the commitment of Hutto's Dajon Harrison and a win over Kansas State. As the Longhorns head into the home stretch still mostly in control of their own destiny, they will have the chance to calm the waters and finish with a strong class depending on how the regular season wraps up.

We’ve gathered as much info as possible thus far to get a clear picture of where things stand with the visitors who were on campus and a few others on the radar. Horns247 even learned about some possible movement on the transfer market. In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we bring you the goods on where things stand with several established targets, several new targets, and a few possible targets

Let’s start with Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy linebacker Jaqwondis Burns. I spoke with several people who interacted with Burns on the visit and a source close to him who indicated that things went extremely well for Texas. The Texas coaches presented Burns with the need at the linebacker position, and he saw the defensive unit play well during the second half of the game. A source near Burns said that the opportunity to play big-time ball in Texas would be difficult for Burns to turn down. We’ll have more with Burns later this week, but I think Texas did enough to eventually win out. I’m close to flipping my crystal ball.

in a move that many saw coming, Arkansas fired head coach Chad Morris over the weekend. How does that affect Texas? For one, the Razorbacks were an issue for Texas in certain pockets of east Texas, and they stopped the Longhorns from landing players like Jalen Catalon. Jeff Traylor’s future will be important to consider, but Arkansas was poised to be a thorn in the side for 2021 guys like Landon JacksonMarcus Burris, and Clayton Smith.

The most immediate fallout from Morris’s dismissal will likely center around Carthage ATH Kelvontay Dixon.  There were strong indications that Dixon was headed towards Texas even before Morris was fired, and now it seems like a foregone conclusion.  Dixon was on campus for the Kansas State game, and I’m really not sure what the hold up is at this point.  Regardless, I think everything is still status-quo there and I expect Dixon to eventually end up in this class.

Here’s an interesting note I heard over the weekend. The Texas staff did some preliminary investigation into former Michigan tight end Mustapha Muhammad. Muhammad was a big target for Texas as a recruit coming out of Missouri City Ridge Point, but he chose the Wolverines over the Longhorns. Muhammad decided to go into the portal a few weeks ago, and there appears to be some interest. They are still very early in the process, and it will likely depend on numbers. 

In fact, based on what I’ve heard it’s probably a bit of a long shot that they will have the room to get Muhammad in. Still, there appears to be some chance here so we will continue to keep an eye on things.

While in Houston I had the opportunity to speak with a couple of Texas commits. Troy Omeire and Vernon Broughton both affirmed their solid status as commits, and said they had no second thoughts at all.

Broughton just wrapped up his senior season and is incredibly excited about enrolling early. As we’ve reported, the in-state core of this class is incredibly firm, and I was told that the core rallied in the last month to try to strengthen as much of the class as possible. If Texas can harness what they found against Kansas State and use it to win out on the season, I’d expect things to wrap up well in this class.

2021 Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson will likely be a huge target in the next cycle. The four-star back already has 1,596 yards on 162 carries (9.9 ypc) and 31 touchdowns at the end of the regular season. After his game on Friday, Johnson said that Texas is right up there with the schools contacting him most right now and going all out to get him. Johnson said that he will likely decide sometime next year, but he’s not putting a ton of focus on it right now. One source I spoke with indicated LSU and Texas A&M would provide the toughest competition, but Jalen Milroe and Hayden Conner are playing a big role for Texas right now. Johnson played youth league football with both, so Milroe has an in there.

As I reported last week, Tyler Junior College linebacker Maureese Wren is set to make a visit when Texas hosts Texas Tech at the end of the season. Wren formerly played at Mesquite Horn as a wide receiver and linebacker, and the Longhorns investigated the possibility of taking him as a defensive player at that time. Wren wanted to play wide receiver, so he signed with Louisiana Tech out of high school only to transfer before his freshman season started.

After two years at TJC, Wren is devoted to playing defense and put together some strong film. He’s set to graduate in December and would have two years of eligibility. If Texas decides to offer, I think they close him easily.

Over the weekend, Texas sent out a surprise offer to 2021 Hallettsville RB Jonathon Brooks. After checking with sources at Texas to verify that it wasn’t a fake offer, I got in contact with Brooks and a few folks around him. It seems that this is his very first offer, and he isn’t really even hearing from any other schools at this time.

This indicates that Texas truly believes he has some special ability because they aren’t usually early on total unknowns. In the time that Herman and his staff have been on campus, names like Kitan CrawfordDeMarvion OvershownJadarian Price, and Juan Davisstick out as guys without much hype that Texas jumped on. The staff has proven to be strong evaluators of talent, and when they go early on a guy it’s typically for a reason. Brooks is new to the process, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see his profile explode over the next few months.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

After the TCU game I had to walk away from the board for a while. So quick rundown since then.

Eaton, Pouncey, 4I Princely all decommitted. 

Hutto kid committed. 

What else did I miss? When is Collins jumping on board?

Some new offers on JC and late riser evals, new smoke around a Quay decommit, 2020 seems pretty solid now although there was some rumor around Dorbah and JQJ being less than firm. Kelvontay Dixon hasn't decommitted yet but should flip to us, getting the sense Loic no longer in play, staff seems to be padding WR to prepare for attrition (Jake Smith didn't play this week), the misaligned OLman is transferring. That about covers it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Some new offers on JC and late riser evals, new smoke around a Quay decommit, 2020 seems pretty solid now although there was some rumor around Dorbah and JQJ being less than firm. Kelvontay Dixon hasn't decommitted yet but should flip to us, getting the sense Loic no longer in play, staff seems to be padding WR to prepare for attrition (Jake Smith didn't play this week), the misaligned OLman is transferring. That about covers it. 

I could've sworn Jake played.. just wasn't targeted.. thought he was the one celebrating CJs TD?

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Unless there’s some sort of red flags with Wren, we better offer him. We have no true LB takes and he’s the exact kind of athlete you want at LB.

But there’s a lot of obvious things Orlando should be doing that he’s not, so who knows. 

Who is Wren? Jaqwondis?

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I heard this rumor, pre-Internet, when Baseball Stars was a big part of every gamer's life. Figured it was an urban legend until I saw your post and looked it up. Wow. 

You never played as the all girls team? wow, that was how you made money, because they all had higher popularity (prestige I think?) so games against them made a lot of money. I forget how I found it out.

20 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

I belive the beef started when Morris was at SMU and Herman was coaching at Houston. I can't remember the specifics but these comments didnt help.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2016/10/20/13347708/tom-herman-houston-smu-rivalry

Correct. Morris doesn't like Herman from their AAC days. Don't think Herman cares about him either way. 

8 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

7 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Wasn’t that more related to baseball?

Chad Morris' sister I think taught at his high school, and I think he ran point on this recruitment, including promising early playing time, shit talking Herman's off the field issues, and taking some of his teammates in that class 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Chad Morris' sister I think taught at his high school, and I think he ran point on this recruitment, including promising early playing time, shit talking Herman's off the field issues, and taking some of his teammates in that class 

But, personally I didn't care about missing out on him. Aside from our DBs kind of sucking this year, and Catalon having a phenomenal junior year, at the time I wasn't confident that he would recover fully from his injury. And a slowed (from injury) 5'9" db who already wasn't considered a corner was a risk.