Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

11 hours ago, GRHorn said:

After the TCU game I had to walk away from the board for a while. So quick rundown since then.

Eaton, Pouncey, 4I Princely all decommitted. 

Hutto kid committed. 

What else did I miss? When is Collins jumping on board?

Machinator developed a bug and ghosted us.

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Today is one month since his disgraceful exit. I'm hoping this is the day he returns. 

With his sudden disappearance, my two working theories are that he was the leader of the Hong Kong resistance, or the former leader of ISIS. Only his hair dresser knows for sure. 

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Paywall, anyone got the whole thing?

TUCSON, Ariz. — Bijan Robinson walked into Salpointe Catholic High’s weight room with a T-shirt that exposed biceps you’d find on a running back who’s been in college for a few years. He led the way into a small office to chat, then shut the door behind him.

Robinson is a teenaged high school running back, but he doesn’t look like one. He doesn’t act like one, either. He is mature beyond his years, which was immediately evident when he made a joke about the risk he was taking talking to a reporter. He knows everything that comes out of his mouth is going to turn into a headline.

He is right. But unlike message board fodder or things you read on Twitter, this comes directly from him. So let’s start with this: Is he 100 percent solid with his Texas commitment?

“I would say 100 percent,” he told The Athletic on Tuesday. “I still talk to other coaches, you know, just to get advice and stuff. I don’t know. I’m still 100 percent with Texas and I probably will be. I don’t know. I will just leave it at that. I still talk to other coaches, and I talk to Ohio State and LSU, not just football stuff, just saying, ‘How are you doing?’ But right now, me and Texas, we’re strong.”

There had been some pauses and moments of hesitation. So he continued.

“Everyone thinks I’m going to decommit from Texas because they are losing and getting a lot of decommits (there were three in October),” he said, “but I am with Texas right now. … I try not to talk. If I do talk, like when I said a couple things a few weeks ago, it was all over the Internet, Twitter and Instagram and everything. Was it me? Did I say the wrong thing? Sometimes people put different things in the reports and I can’t stop it. When that leads on, it leads to bigger situations. That’s why I haven’t been talking much lately.”

Robinson is a five-star prospect who is the consensus No. 2 running back in the class as well as a national top-20 recruit overall. He was a silent commitment to Ohio State for part of the summer before publicly committing to Texas in early August.

Both the Longhorns and Buckeyes — no strangers to butting heads on the recruiting trail — are in desperate need of a running back in this recruiting cycle. When bluntly asked if Ohio State was “dead” in his recruitment, Robinson wouldn’t definitively shut the door.

“They’re not dead in my recruitment,” he said. “I talk to Coach (Tony) Alford and I talk to Coach (Ryan) Day. I wouldn’t say they are dead. Right now, I’d say it’s neutral. … Ohio State had everything there. For me, they had the recruits — I still talk to them to this day — and I thought it was the perfect situation. But I kept praying about it and talking to my family. It was just something in my heart that it was a flip and it had to be Texas. Then I flipped.”

Ohio State doesn’t have a running back in its 2020 class. The Buckeyes are focusing on three-star Iowa State commitment Miyan Williams of Cincinnati Winton Woods and four-star Georgia Tech commit Jahmyr Gibbs of Dalton (Ga.) High, which is 90 miles north of Atlanta.

As things stand right now, Robinson can be considered a Buckeyes target, but he can’t be considered a real option. Though hearing that he still regularly communicates with Alford probably is music to an Ohio State fan’s ears, Robinson already has been on his official visit to OSU and doesn’t anticipate making it back to Columbus for an unofficial visit. Robinson said he may take an official visit to LSU because he already has seen the other programs that were high on his list.

There have been rumors that USC is still in it, but Robinson said the Trojans are done and he hasn’t communicated with them since the summer.

So that leaves Texas as the clear front-runner, and Ohio State and LSU still trying to pull off the miracle.

Even after Robinson flipped to Texas from his silent commitment to Ohio State, Alford has kept in regular touch. But Alford isn’t blowing up the running back’s phone asking him to reconsider. It’s more about keeping in touch and maintaining a relationship.

“Other than football, he is just a good dude to talk to,” Robinson said of Alford. “Not even talking about football, just him giving me advice on this whole recruiting thing, college football; we send each other memes and stuff. It’s a bigger relationship. When we were talking about recruiting and stuff, yes, it was about recruiting, but at some point it was another relationship with a dad or something. Just texting to see how we are doing.”

Does Ohio State still want Robinson?

“Of course they want me,” he said with a smile, “but Coach Alford doesn’t have to say it. It’s not even about recruiting. He is good with my decision to go to Texas, but our conversations are about just regular things.”

Robinson hasn’t backed off of his commitment to Texas at all. But he also said he regularly speaks to Alford and may take an official visit to LSU. So in the name of trying to definitively clear it up, Robinson was asked what he wanted written. He was told the story would say he’s going to Texas if that’s how he feels.

“Write that,” he said. “That’s how I feel right now. With LSU and the scheduling we have with football going on, it would be hard to go anywhere else at this point. For me to decommit from Texas, something crazy would have to happen. Coach Herman getting fired and I don’t know what else I’d do, then maybe then.”

Everyone else hoping to flip is wasting their time?

“Yeah, they are wasting their time,” Robinson said. “I just don’t want to be the one to say anything. I did say something a few weeks ago that me and Coach Alford are still in contact, and reporters were like, ‘Bijan Robinson may flip to Ohio State.’ And I did not say that at all. They switched everything about it.”

To recap:

• Robinson is still in contact with Alford and he wouldn’t say that Ohio State is dead in his recruitment.

• Robinson may take an official visit to LSU.

• Robinson is 100 percent committed to Texas and anticipates signing with the Longhorns in six weeks, during the early signing period.

Sure, crazy things happen in recruiting all the time. But take it straight from Robinson: He wants to be a Longhorn.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

you can read it if you dload the app. basically i'm committed to texas right now followed by a few "I don't know"s. if we win out, i would think there's no issue. lose a couple more games, yea...

It's just that simple. All we have to do is win our games. We should do that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just to clarify...was it a great read for you because he said that Ohio State wasn't dead and he still communicated with them, or was it because he said he might take an official to LSU? Or was it because he hesitated and paused while trying to say he was 100% with Texas? I'm guessing all of the above had you rocketing from 6 to midnight.

Sure its not all sunshine but the fact that USC is dead in the recruitment is big. I think LSU lands Evans and cant see those two both going there. Ohio state is still the biggest threat, ill get nervous if he takes an unofficial there

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Sure its not all sunshine but the fact that USC is dead in the recruitment is big. I think LSU lands Evans and cant see those two both going there. Ohio state is still the biggest threat, ill get nervous if he takes an unofficial there

you'll get nervous if the number one back in the country committed to UT - which currently feels like a turd swirling a flushing toilet bowl - takes a visit to a national top-2 team with a dynamic and explosive offense with no 2020 RB commits and a relatively thin RB room? That's a bold take there, buddy.

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

you'll get nervous if the number one back in the country committed to UT - which currently feels like a turd swirling a flushing toilet bowl - takes a visit to a national top-2 team with a dynamic and explosive offense with no 2020 RB commits and a relatively thin RB room? That's a bold take there, buddy.

I'm spitting fire this morning! Really going out on a limb with the hot takes! I learned it all from my idol, Mike Roach

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

It's just that simple. All we have to do is win our games. We should do that!

I think we do that if we get by Ames this Saturday. Baylor is a house of cards about to get leveled by OU. I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose out, even @Kansas should OU wipe them out this weekend. Tech is a good team, but Texas will likely be playing for a spot in the Big 12 CG rematch against OU.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just to clarify...was it a great read for you because he said that Ohio State wasn't dead and he still communicated with them, or was it because he said he might take an official to LSU? Or was it because he hesitated and paused while trying to say he was 100% with Texas? I'm guessing all of the above had you rocketing from 6 to midnight.

From a guy who's username means destruction, kinda makes sense, doesn't it?

Steve Wiltfong: Buzz regarding Top247 DL Alfred Collins

Texas is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite to land Bastrop (Texas) Cedar Creek Top247 defensive lineman Alfred Collins, but after talking to a couple sources on Wednesday, I wouldn't go ruling out Oklahoma just yet for the blue-chipper.

Collins is also considering Alabama and Texas A&M and took fall official visits to all four schools.

Ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the nation's No. 8 strong-side defensive end, Collins is a Texas legacy and the Longhorns had a lot of steam in this recruitment as the fall began. Tom Herman and his staff are working hard to secure a commitment from the coveted target.

But so is Oklahoma and at the very least Collins is very interested. Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley and assistant Calvin Thibodeaux recently went and saw Collins play and the ballyhooed recruit sees tremendous opportunity playing in Norman as well.

I think this is one that could go either way between the two Big 12 rivals.

The 6-foot-5, 275-pound Collins will cap his prep career playing in the All-American Bowl. He is a quick defensive lineman with terrific feet who 247Sports National Analyst compares to Curtis Dunlap.

"High-ceiling defensive lineman who could fit multiple roles in multiple schemes," Brooks wrote in his evaluation. "Still growing into tall, long frame. Owns outstanding height and frame length with through-the-roof frame potential. Long and lanky with a ton of space to add mass. Has lined up inside and on the edge in a four-man front in high school. Willing participant against the run. Doesn't quit on plays. Hustles downfield to chase when necessary. Plays with active hands and uses long arm extension to his advantage. Flashes encouraging upper-body strength at the point of attack. Has shown ability to bull rush from interior and collapse the pocket. Plays high. Must improve leverage consistency. Can improve balance and body control. Must expand pass-rushing arsenal. Needs to increase lower-body strength to help with taking on double teams and standing up against the run in college. 

Raw and still learning, but plays with a high motor and owns elite physical tools that project to a quality Power 5 starter with top half of the NFL draft potential."

Texas and Oklahoma have the top two recruiting classes in the Big 12 with the Longhorns sitting at No. 6 and the Sooners currently No. 12. I'm keeping my 247Sports Forecast on Texas for the time being but if Collins picked the Sooners folks shouldn't be running around saying what a shocker.

The State of Recruiting Podcast:  Arkansas Fallout, txhsPlayoffs and more

Mike Roach:  "Bobby Burton and I talk about how Texas could benefit from Arkansas fallout, txhsfb playoffs, and much more."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/state-recruiting-arkansas-fallout-txhsfb-playoffs-more/id1279981104?i=1000456717445