Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Also, people keep mentioning the buyout, but it’s only going to be $5.5 million less next year, plus any new coordinators or high level position coaches we hire this offseason will likely demand at least two years guaranteed, so the cost savings will be about $2.5 million at most. So unless CDC is going to take the position that finances will prohibit us from moving on from Herman for at least three more years, then the buyout amount is a sunk cost that won’t change much between now and the end of next season and shouldn’t be a factor in making the decision. 

Was thinking the same thing, but thanks for laying it out coherently. I just wonder what CDC’s opinion is on Herman. I’m sure he could find boosters to validate it either way. 

Lol gotta love message boards....I get that Herman getting canned soon would be ideal for all of us, but let’s be realistic.

We’re stuck with him until the year after Sam leaves, when all of the programs flaws will be truly and unequivocally exposed.

If you expect any other outcome then I pity your liver.

27 minutes ago, Nope said:

Lol gotta love message boards....I get that Herman getting canned soon would be ideal for all of us, but let’s be realistic.

We’re stuck with him until the year after Sam leaves, when all of the programs flaws will be truly and unequivocally exposed.

We’ll see...

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. Things could really freaking ugly with recruiting and transfers over the next year if we keep Herman. Not to mention a coach taking over in 2020 will have an elite QB to work with and a stacked 2018 class going into their third year. A coach taking over in 2021 will have a massive question mark at QB with a good bit of the 2018 class missing due to early entrants and grad transfers. 

Also, people keep mentioning the buyout, but it’s only going to be $5.5 million less next year, plus any new coordinators or high level position coaches we hire this offseason will likely demand at least two years guaranteed, so the cost savings will be about $2.5 million at most. So unless CDC is going to take the position that finances will prohibit us from moving on from Herman for at least three more years, then the buyout amount is a sunk cost that won’t change much between now and the end of next season and shouldn’t be a factor in making the decision. 

Agree with everything you said except for Sam being elite. He's good, but there are only a handful of elite QBs each year.

59 minutes ago, Nope said:

Yeah this is kind of where I've settled. If there are any coaching changes at all this offseason, there will be a lot fewer than fans on here want to see. Texas probably wins 8 games next year on the back of Sam Ehlinger and the maturation of the class of 2018, particularly on defense, and Herman sticks around for 2021. However, with the departure of Ehlinger/Cosmi and several of the most important members of the class of 2018, 2021 is a very rough year.

8 hours ago, irishtexan said:

This. This right here is the problem. We don't have a single coach in which there is consensus confidence...   Who has improved this year? Name one unit. One. I fucking challenge you.

LBs: I guess we're about as good here as last year? Still dropping our best pass rusher into coverage half the time on passing downs. 

Great post...

FWIW:  One solid technical comment about coaching that I recently heard/read (can't remember source) was that without a doubt the worst coached position group at Texas this year is LB.

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Numbers could be even less if some reports are accurate.  Unsure of date, but Herman soon has a $1mill retention bonus that could be avoided.  If let go now, the buyout may only be $5mill for each remaining year of contract (4yrs) so that totals $20mill.

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Numbers could be even less if some reports are accurate.  Unsure of date, but Herman soon has a $1mill retention bonus that could be avoided.  If let go now, the buyout may only be $5mill for each remaining year of contract (4yrs) so that totals $20mill.

Think the retention bonus is on Christmas Day

13 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I don’t see any chance in hell Herman is let go after this year barring some major scandal. If we suck shit again next year I could see it happening.

Only thing giving me pause is it seems like CDC doesn’t pussy foot around and I don’t think they like each other much

37 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

We should probably be trying to upgrade our coaching rather than jettison the ones that don't suck out of this conference.  

In our defense, based on the last ten years, Rhule going to the NFL has a much better chance of happening than us getting a competent coaching staff.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Fud said:

Baylor’s staff thinks they lead for Collins, and that Texas is running third

247 lists him as having a Baylor visit on December 13. Writing looks to be on the wall there.

Edit: Also, TIL Frank Okam is the DL coach at Baylor. He appears to know what he's doing. Fuck Baylor but good for him.

Edited by gmr548

46 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Frank Okam is the DL coach at Baylor. He appears to know what he's doing. Fuck Baylor but good for him.

Just our fucking luck. Okam is a guy who potentially gave up millions to come back for his senior year just in case he decided to go to medical school instead of the NFL - as he was talked about as a potential first rounder at the time, but ended up going in what, the 7th after his senior year? And he's a smart, relatable, hard working, good coach. Absolutely fucking shocking. I'm sure moms and dads just hate him. Gee, do you guys think he might be interesting in coaching at his alma mater (assuming the HC isn't an arrogant fucking prick)?

Meanwhile, Giles falls ass-backwards into Broughton and Fillanger (only after losing out on Leal and before losing 4i Princely and probably Collins) and I'd guess the odds of him being back next year are probably close to 90% because Mensa loves him some "yes" men. How many sacks does our DL have again? How have they looked compared to the Baylor DL? Or just anyone not named "Coburn" and/or maybe "Roach?" Remind me again what an awesome "developer of talent" Giles is?

I really hope I'm wrong. I really hope Herman isn't going to come out after the season and say "we had to keep Oscar and Drew because Oscar got us Broughton and Drew was 2019's #1 recruiter." But I don't think I am. Meanwhile, Samples and Okam are just fucking sitting there, being better than any of our position coaches, and I'd guess both would at least be interested.

/rant

• Like 2

Just our fucking luck. Okam is a guy who potentially gave up millions to come back for his senior year just in case he decided to go to medical school instead of the NFL - as he was talked about as a potential first rounder at the time, but ended up going in what, the 7th after his senior year? And he's a smart, relatable, hard working, good coach. Absolutely fucking shocking. I'm sure moms and dads just hate him. Gee, do you guys think he might be interesting in coaching at his alma mater (assuming the HC isn't an arrogant fucking prick)?

Meanwhile, Giles falls ass-backwards into Broughton and Fillanger (only after losing out on Leal and before losing 4i Princely and probably Collins) and I'd guess the odds of him being back next year are probably close to 90% because Mensa loves him some "yes" men. How many sacks does our DL have again? How have they looked compared to the Baylor DL? Or just anyone not named "Coburn" and/or maybe "Roach?" Remind me again what an awesome "developer of talent" Giles is?

I really hope I'm wrong. I really hope Herman isn't going to come out after the season and say "we had to keep Oscar and Drew because Oscar got us Broughton and Drew was 2019's #1 recruiter." But I don't think I am. Meanwhile, Samples and Okam are just fucking sitting there, being better than any of our position coaches, and I'd guess both would at least be interested.

/rant

Keeping Giles wouldn't bug me but I wouldn't be sad to see him go either. His is the only unit that appears generally competent on defense. The DL doesn't produce sacks because the plan is to play three DTs to eat double teams while randomly and incoherently blitzing from 5 plus yards off the ball. That's on Orlando, 100 percent.

I also think it's hard to pin Princely and Collins, should Texas indeed miss on the latter, on him. That's pretty clearly a symptom of the larger program-wide failures this year. Still, your point on recruiting stands to some degree. He's certainly not a difference maker in recruiting at a position where raw talent is at a premium.

A hypothetical involving Giles and Okam coaching together would probably yield some really strong results but that won't happen. I very much expect Giles back, for better or worse. Mehringer is fucking useless and his players hate him, but he's Herman's boy. Probably back. I think we're going to see a lot fewer changes than people expect and it still wouldn't surprise me if there aren't any at all, even though the writing seems to be on the wall.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Keeping Giles wouldn't bug me but I wouldn't be sad to see him go either. His is the only unit that appears generally competent on defense. The DL doesn't produce sacks because the plan is to play three DTs to eat double teams while randomly and incoherently blitzing from 5 plus yards off the ball. That's on Orlando, 100 percent.

I also think it's hard to pin Princely and Collins, should Texas indeed miss on the latter, on him. That's pretty clearly a symptom of the larger program-wide failures this year. Still, your point on recruiting stands to some degree. He's certainly not a difference maker in recruiting at a position where raw talent is at a premium.

A hypothetical involving Giles and Okam coaching together would probably yield some really strong results but that won't happen. I very much expect Giles back, for better or worse. Mehringer is fucking useless and his players hate him, but he's Herman's boy. Probably back. I think we're going to see a lot fewer changes than people expect and it still wouldn't surprise me if there aren't any at all, even though the writing seems to be on the wall.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's probably because of below average DL. Baylor and even OU this year have been generating a lot of sacks with 3 down linemen. I'm not sure you can blame it on Orlando, well I suppose you can since he recruited some of them. 

52 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I very much expect Giles back, for better or worse. Mehringer is fucking useless and his players hate him, but he's Herman's boy. Probably back. I think we're going to see a lot fewer changes than people expect and it still wouldn't surprise me if there aren't any at all, even though the writing seems to be on the wall.

Mehringer better be gone if Herman expects fans and BMDs to believe Mensa wants to build a winning program.

Seriously @gmr548,

Yah have to stop posting stuff like "it still wouldn't surprise me if there aren't any (staff changes) at all".

giphy.gif