Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

18 hours ago, satyanash said:

InsideTexas is now also corroborating Chip's report.

(Eric Nahlin) Thursdays in the Humidor: 11/28/19

Coleman and Carrington to the coaching staff? I could maybe see Coleman - it's been reported he's going to move on but maybe a position coach role could keep him in the fold - but Carrington's never coached before. Perhaps that just means temporarily so they can hit the road. 

I'd be shocked if they got Morgan Scalley out of Utah. It's probably have to be a $2mm godfather type of offer to have any shot. I'd think if he wants to leave at all, a MWC head coaching position is more attractive. That sounds like $9.95 rumor flinging.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Once upon a time, Andrew Ellis was legit when it came to CBs. Don't know if he still is but I wouldn't dismiss this. 

Yeah, pretty good results for CBs by Andrew Ellis in 2018... 6th place nationally

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/11w/2018/02/90951/eleven-warriors-andrew-lind-andrew-ellis-finish-fourth-sixth-in-2018-247sports-crystal-ball-rankings

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Coleman and Carrington to the coaching staff? I could maybe see Coleman - it's been reported he's going to move on but maybe a position coach role could keep him in the fold - but Carrington's never coached before. Perhaps that just means temporarily so they can hit the road. 

I'd be shocked if they got Morgan Scalley out of Utah. It's probably have to be a $2mm godfather type of offer to have any shot. I'd think if he wants to leave at all, a MWC head coaching position is more attractive. That sounds like $9.95 rumor flinging.

Welcome to 2017. 

we’ve done this before, and it’s directly resulted in commitments before, and it’s not a new thing. Huff has been and will be on the road as well. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Welcome to 2017. 

we’ve done this before, and it’s directly resulted in commitments before, and it’s not a new thing. Huff has been and will be on the road as well. 

why would huff be on the road its already been reported he isnt coming back to help next year

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Andrew Ellis doesn't seem good CB picks. Also, it still says Bijan is a hard commit. I wouldn't worry about it. 

- the "hard commit" stuff means nothing.  It's often said that until recruits who were known to be on the verge of decommitting, actually did so

- Andrew Ellis was one of the first guys - perhaps the first - to put in a tOSU pick for Bijan after his official here.  Then the rest of the horde followed suit, and there was speculation about a possible silent commit to tOSU.

Just now, Getafix said:

- the "hard commit" stuff means nothing.  It's often said that until recruits who were known to be on the verge of decommitting, actually did so

- Andrew Ellis was one of the first guys - perhaps the first - to put in a tOSU pick for Bijan after his official here.  Then the rest of the horde followed suit, and there was speculation about a possible silent commit to tOSU.

I agree the hard commit doesn't matter right now, but I don't see him going to USC, who isn't much better than we are, and he's close to Drayton. Time will tell, however. It would suck to lose him, but it would be just another stain on Herman who's losing the program. I'm probably giving myself false hope that he stays.

20 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

He aint comin back.  He’ll only stay at each school in his career for a max of around two or three years, just long enough to give everyone samples. 

I’m sorry but is Samples that great of a coach or recruiter? Obviously better than anyone on this staff but I just don’t understand the hype around Samples.

3 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

I’m sorry but is Samples that great of a coach or recruiter? Obviously better than anyone on this staff but I just don’t understand the hype around Samples.

Yes, he would be an elite recruiter in Dallas. A dead tree stump would be a better WR coach than Mehringer and Meekins.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

Texas has to preserve the linemen, especially the DL (with the OLs pretty dang important, too).

This is the turning class, IMO, if Texas can hold it together.

8-5 really ought to hold it together. Fingers crossed.

Bowl shouldn’t have much, if any impact in this year’s class.

52 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Bowl shouldn’t have much, if any impact in this year’s class.

If Texas wins, I hope you're wrong.

If Texas loses, I hope you're right, lol.

But you're probably right because it appears coaching changes are coming and those changes will probably dwarf the bowl as talking points.

When Herman tinkers with the staff, let's hope the timing is perfect and the hires are good.

Carrington has to do his mojo, lol, because, really, we need Collins, too.

20 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

If Texas wins, I hope you're wrong.

If Texas loses, I hope you're right, lol.

But you're probably right because it appears coaching changes are coming and those changes will probably dwarf the bowl as talking points.

When Herman tinkers with the staff, let's hope the timing is perfect and the hires are good.

Carrington has to do his mojo, lol, because, really, we need Collins, too.

It’s more about early signing day.

Barry Odom got fired at Missouri. He would be an interesting candidate for DC with his background in the Big12 and AAC. I haven’t watched much Missouri football but he’s had some really good defenses as coordinator including a Memphis turnaround from 117th nationally to a top 25 defense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Are we fucked or we gonna have some badass DL and OL coming in the next few years?

I been looking at this board and rivals but I need a quick rundown.

Early signing day gonna be awesome?

It's gonna be good. Studs coming in all both sides don't let the dramatic people on here fool you

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Are we fucked or we gonna have some badass DL and OL coming in the next few years?  I been looking at this board and rivals but I need a quick rundown.    Early signing day gonna be awesome?

Sarcasm??   If not, too soon to tell.

Revisit this post for current commits...

44 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah Herbie offered an excuse for LSU dropping to #2 in CFP due possibly to Texas late season struggles...  WTF

not wtf at all.  it’s a damn good point.  we were fucking dreadfully awful in multiple games this year and still put up a ton of offense against LSU and were within one score at the end of that game.  that’s enough to put their #1 ranking in question. 

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Sarcasm??   If not, too soon to tell.

Revisit this post for current commits...

Cool, looks pretty good. 

I never worry about skill positions at Texas I just always see OL and DL on other teams that look like grown ass men compared to our OL and DL. 

28 minutes ago, futureman said:

not wtf at all.  it’s a damn good point.  we were fucking dreadfully awful in multiple games this year and still put up a ton of offense against LSU and were within one score at the end of that game.  that’s enough to put their #1 ranking in question. 

I'd argue that LSU's defensive struggles play a much bigger role, but losing a quality win does seem like something the committee would consider. 

39 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Cool, looks pretty good. 

I never worry about skill positions at Texas I just always see OL and DL on other teams that look like grown ass men compared to our OL and DL. 

We may lose filinger but this is one area where we recruited well. Broughton is gonna be a monster. We may still land alfred Collins 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

I'd argue that LSU's defensive struggles play a much bigger role, but losing a quality win does seem like something the committee would consider. 

LSU has beat Alabama and Florida, and everyone else in their schedule. They are getting in the CFB play off even with a close loss to Georgia in the sec championship.