Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Surely this will keep Bijan away from USC. Unless Meyer happens fast and is able to work some magic.

Excellent. Let's keep Bijan and get Graham Harrell, move Beck to TE if he'd like to be put there or let him move on if he doesn't, fire Warehime and Meekins, get Samples as WR, and find a new LB coach that is also a good recruiter.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Surely this will keep Bijan away from USC. Unless Meyer happens fast and is able to work some magic.

And if I'm thinking through it correctly, consider this: Herman and Meyer could potentially face off Dec 31st in the Alamo Bowl.

Edited by KYHorn

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

You’re not. 

Wouldn't be the first time. Enlighten us. 

Edit: I just noticed the google results for PAC 12 standings only gave me PAC 12 South. That makes USC unlikely to make it there. 

Edited by KYHorn

This is either really good news or really bad news.

If Meyer is a pipe dream there, almost assures he'll stick with us.

If Meyer is a real possibility, he could at best delay signing to see how that shakes out or choose to sign there if the deal is done quickly.

That's really political wording.

"This isn't right" could mean inaccurate, or could mean not right that it breaks on Twitter before they officially communicate.

In either case, they would be steamed.

Usually there's a reason when things are strangely worded. "This isn't right" is definitely strange wording to dispute the story.

We've been promising significant turnover and today it began. We mentioned things would happen in waves and that's still the case. There's NSD1 and a bowl game to navigate. Craig Naivar will coach the defense in the bowl game. There's a team meeting tonight at 7:00.

We're awaiting the school to confirm Pete Thamel's report of Todd Orlando being fired but back in 2016 I told you guys Thamel is the one to go with on Herman information. I'm sure he's right because we heard it was going to happen as well. 

Where will Texas go from here? I've been hinting at Morgan Scalley in the dizzying carousel thread and wrote a piece on the need to go with a four-man front next year. That was written with him in mind. We do believe he's close to the top of the list, but there are some others as well. Scalley is going to be up for some head coaching jobs, namely UNLV, but I'm not sure I see that guy in Vegas. I've heard it from him that he'd entertain Texas. Recruiting is on the backburner and secondary in importance to coaching but he would be a witch on the trail. He personally watches 500 Hudls a year....in the Houston area alone. I know Ian has some schematic questions of him, but those assume he isn't adaptable. I think Scalley is adaptable. If he were a fireman with a fire bearing down on him, he'd drop his tools.

Former Ohio State defensive coordinator and Rutgers head coach, Chris Ash, has also been mentioned. Ash was on the same Buckeyes staff as Herman. While he is a candidate, we know some view him as a comfort hire and I could see that move being blocked. 

UNC's Jay Bateman is a name we heard last year but haven't heard it this go around. We'll be checking for more names.

Anwar Richardson is reporting Drew Mehringer is gone (yes), Tim Beck will be re-asssigned (yes), Corby Meekins will get an off the field role (yes). Yes to all of it.

Beck could be a QB coach or TE. He would be retained for recruiting purposes. We're uncertain if he'll stay but he has the option to. 

Wide receiver coaching possibilities include Emmett Jones (Kansas) and Sonny Cumbie (TCU) if he's fired as OC at TCU. Jones is Ra'Shaad Samples 15 years down the road. Cumbie would be a great hire, particularly if the OC stems from an Air Raid background, which, we think is possible.

Texas should also look at Darin Chiaverini at WR. He's the guy who stole Laviska Shenault from DeSoto. He also has a good background in special teams and coached WR's at Tech. Lot's of "Tech" talk. Interesting, isn't it?

Yes, Graham Harrell is the top target we've heard about for OC. He may want to bring his own guy at the position. They're really big on the coaching aspects and install and having Cumbie would be a boost. It's important to note, however, that Jones was WR coach at Tech under Kingsbury. He coached at South Oak Cliff prior to that and is held in high esteem. 

The fur is flying, fellas. We told you only three coaches were safe. It's pretty easy to conclude who those are.

IT

• Like 2