Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

uh-oh...

Glad to hear Herman at least canned Orlando, but JFC If this is true...

Ash’s resume doesn’t justify him being the DC at Texas. This would be the UH hires 2.0.

With someone like Odom available, CDC should just fire Herman now if he goes with Ash as his #1 option.

It might take the whole offseason, but I could talk myself into being optimistic about next season with Odom and Harrell as coordinators, plus some quality hires to replace Mehringer and Meekins.

I wonder if Warehime will be part of the second wave of moves. He needs to be on the chopping block too considering he got demoted as OL coach and how shitty our STs have been this year. 

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Glad to hear Herman at least canned Orlando, but JFC If this is true...

Ash’s resume doesn’t justify him being the DC at Texas. This would be the UH hires 2.0.

With someone like Odom available, CDC should just fire Herman now if he goes with Ash as his #1 option.

It might take the whole offseason, but I could talk myself into being optimistic about next season with Odom and Harrell as coordinators, plus some quality hires to replace Mehringer and Meekins.

I wonder if Warehime will be part of the second wave of moves. He needs to be on the chopping block too considering he got demoted as OL coach and how shitty our STs have been this year. 

Ash was the DC of OSU when they won the championship and his specialty is DBs. Before that he was DC at Wisconsin and Arkansas. Unfortunately hes not known as a great recruiter.

Odom was the DC of Missouri for 1 year and Memphis for 2, his resume does not come close to Ash's

Edited by Michael Knight

13 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Ash was the DC of OSU when they won the championship and his specialty is DBs. Before that he was DC at Wisconsin and Arkansas. Unfortunately hes not known as a great recruiter.

Odom was the DC of Missouri for 1 year and Memphis for 2, his resume does not come close to Ash's

Lulz. That’s about the most misleading history of Ash’s coaching career you could ever give. He was never the DC at Wisconsin or tOSU. He was a DB coach at UW and then promoted to co-DC for one year. He was then the DC of a 3-9 Arkansas team that gave up 31 PPG and over 400 YPG. He was then the co-DC at tOSU for a year before being hired as HC at Rutgers and winning 8 games in three and a half years at Rutgers. He’s never had any success as either the lone DC or HC of a program, and his resume doesn’t come close to justifying the DC gig at Texas. 

Odom has a better resume even if it’s still not elite. It’s hard to say who should be the DC hire before knowing who will be available, but Ash would absolutely be an underwhelming hire. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. That’s about the most misleading history of Ash’s coaching career you could ever give. He was never the DC at Wisconsin or tOSU. He was a DB coach at UW and then promoted to co-DC for one year. He was then the DC of a 3-9 Arkansas team that gave up 31 PPG and over 400 YPG. He was then the co-DC at tOSU for a year before being hired as HC at Rutgers and winning 8 games in three and a half years at Rutgers. He’s never had any success as either the lone DC or HC of a program, and his resume doesn’t come close to justifying the DC gig at Texas. 

Odom has a better resume even if it’s still not elite. It’s hard to say who should be the DC hire before knowing who will be available, but Ash would absolutely be an underwhelming hire. 

Ash was the DC for Bielema and followed him to Arkansas, their problem was offense not defense.  He called the defensive plays for OSU molloy Fickell. He was a hot name when Rutgers hired him,  he simply wasn't ready to be a head coach and neither was Odom 

39 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

dp

Edited by Burt Macklin

Chris Ash is a defensive coordinator who built his reputation in the Big Ten. The Big Ten. Where most weeks you're facing an outdated, predictable pro-style offense and you barely have to deal with much offensive creativity.

Orlando looked great against pro-style offenses (USC, Georgia). Problem is, this it the Big 12. No one runs that shit here. We need a guy who's shown consistent, demonstrable success AGAINST SPREAD OFFENSES!! Like Jimmy Lake! Or Morgan Scalley!

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Wasn’t his brother coached by Orlando at Utah State or something like that? Either way, the writing was already on the wall for this one.

Just now, satyanash said:

Chris Ash is a defensive coordinator who built his reputation in the Big Ten. The Big Ten. Where most weeks you're facing an outdated, predictable pro-style offense and you barely have to deal with much offensive creativity.

Orlando looked great against pro-style offenses (USC, Georgia). Problem is, this it the Big 12. No one runs that shit here. We need a guy who's shown consistent, demonstrable success AGAINST SPREAD OFFENSES!! Like Jimmy Lake! Or Morgan Scalley!

Yep. Ash has no record of success against spread teams and barely any record of success at all. 

Just now, satyanash said:

why are you yelling

• Like 1

Mike Roach: Recruits react to staff changes

As Horns247 reported today, Todd Orlando and Drew Mehringer will not be returning to Texas next season. Following a disappointing 7-5 season, Tom Herman cleaned house today following a staff meeting. We checked with several commits to get their reaction on the change.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin - "I thank coach Drew for recruiting me to Texas and best of luck to wherever he ends up. He's young and he has a great future ahead, but it doesn't change my commitment at all."

WR Dajon Harrison, Hutto - "Either way it goes, our recruiting class is something serious.  There's nowhere else I'd rather be."

WR Quentin Johnston, Temple - "It's definitely a tough situation, especially since I have a great realtionship with (Mehringer).  There's nothing I can do now.  I just have to take it and run with it.  

DL Vernon Broughton, Cy-Ridge - "It's bigger than football. My loyalty is to the University of Texas and coach Herman."

LB Derrick Harris Jr, New Caney - "I was very surprised to see him let go first, but I know it's all a business. I'm still committed to Texas."

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek - "I'm 1000% committed to the University of Texas as a school. Me picking Texas is also a business decision. I have no control over what goes on when it comes to coaches. My job is to come in and be the best player I can be. That's what I'm focused on the most."

S Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin - "I'm still 100% committed."

Giles is gonna end up with the full 360 treatment from this thread. First he was vilified for missing on multiple targets last year. Then he landed all four this year and the heat dissipated, with people actually thankful he’s still here today.

With Princely and Van gone, Broughton wobbly, and Collins predicted elsewhere, I look forward to the roasting that will surely emerge.

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Interesting. Andre Coleman (former Kansas State OC) and Jeremiah George will be the interim WR and LB coaches, respectively.

https://texassports.com/news/2019/12/1/texas-makes-changes-on-football-assistant-coaching-staff.aspx

Not really interesting at all. Someone has to coach the bowl game.

19 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Giles is gonna end up with the full 360 treatment from this thread. First he was vilified for missing on multiple targets last year. Then he landed all four this year and the heat dissipated, with people actually thankful he’s still here today.

With Princely and Van gone, Broughton wobbly, and Collins predicted elsewhere, I look forward to the roasting that will surely emerge.

Where is anyone seeing that Broughton is wobbly? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Giles never landed all four. Collins seems like he’s always been looking for a reason to go elsewhere. 
And Fillinger was a direct connection to Orlando, which is why he decommitted as soon as Orlando was fired, so I don’t really give Giles credit or blame for that one.

Giles did fine this year. He landed Broughton and Princely, but he still hasn’t shown to be a plus recruiter over the course of his time here. I don’t really blame him for the decommitments as a lot of that was out of his hands, but I also won’t be upset if the new DC wants to hire his own DL coach.
He certainly wasn’t the worst coach on staff this year, but that’s about as low of a bar as possible. 

• Like 2

Mike Roach: Carrington's recruiting role pivotal for 2020 cycle

In 2018, the advent of the tenth assistant position in college football allowed Tom Herman to utilize one of the best weapons in his recruiting arsenal. While the Longhorns worked to fill the role, director of recruiting Bryan Carrington was sent out on the recruiting trail to try to close the Texas class with a bang. Carrington’s short time out recruiting helped the Longhorns to win over Daniel Carson and Moro Ojomo, but his biggest impact came with Joseph Ossai. All three of those prospects were thought to be headed elsewhere, but Carrington was able to stop Carson from committing to Nebraska and he swayed Ossai from Texas A&M to Texas. Following that run, Carrington was praised for his recruiting ability and relationship with recruits in the class.

Now, with the staff in turnover, Carrington will once again be asked to go out and help the class. This time, he’ll likely be doing more to help lock down the current commits than winning over a bunch of new ones. Why is Carrington the man for the job? He’s the guy that recruits maintain contact with from the time that Texas first reaches out. With no on-field coaching responsibility, Carrington eats, sleeps, and lives recruiting. He’s also one the most relatable recruiters in the country with an age and interests closer to those he’s recruiting than his colleagues on the staff.

In this cycle, Carrington helped to identify and land players like Dajon Harrison, Ty Jordan, and Quentin Johnston. Carrington will likely fill the holes in the staff to keep up relationships with the players who were recruited by coaches that were dismissed over the weekend. It also wouldn’t be surprising to see Carrington involved with the high-profile recruits such as Ja’Quinden Jackson and Bijan Robinson. In times of turmoil, continuity and familiarity are two important factors in recruiting. As the prospects face the uncertainty of new coaches, Carrington should provide a familiar face to calm them.

5 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

I remember hearing that for Dele when he was being recruited, but not for Fillinger

I can’t remember exactly but it was something along the lines of one of Fillinger’s HS coaches played for Orlando at Utah State and gave a glowing review Of him to Van.