Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

12 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

In other recruiting news Zach Evans says he's committing wed

He noticed how badly Aggy needed someone like him and Demas. He was also sold on the fact that the Gigem '20 class is going to change everything. Footwork King already told Kenyon Green to keep his head up as help is on the way.

40 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I can’t remember exactly but it was something along the lines of one of Fillinger’s HS coaches played for Orlando at Utah State and gave a glowing review Of him to Van. 

Solid info...

"Fillinger visited Austin twice over the summer for unofficial visits, and Texas won him over while he was on campus. Fillinger connected well with Giles on the visits, and the staff had a link to him as one of his high school coaches played for Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando while at Utah State."

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Van-Fillinger-commits-to-Texas-Tom-Herman-Draper-Corner-Canyon--133752214/

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Giles is gonna end up with the full 360 treatment from this thread. First he was vilified for missing on multiple targets last year. Then he landed all four this year and the heat dissipated, with people actually thankful he’s still here today.            With Princely and Van gone, Broughton wobbly, and Collins predicted elsewhere, I look forward to the roasting that will surely emerge.

Here's Your thread....  Hustle Never Sleeps

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Giles is gonna end up with the full 360 treatment from this thread. First he was vilified for missing on multiple targets last year. Then he landed all four this year and the heat dissipated, with people actually thankful he’s still here today.

With Princely and Van gone, Broughton wobbly, and Collins predicted elsewhere, I look forward to the roasting that will surely emerge.

Broughton seems solid at least.

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Do I have to respect his decision if he didn't explicitly ask me to?

Fucker wasn’t even thankful to the coaches or the university.

filinger was my favorite recruit. The last time I had a favorite recruit was Cecil cherry. I’ll stop having favorite recruits now.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Chris Ash is a defensive coordinator who built his reputation in the Big Ten. The Big Ten. Where most weeks you're facing an outdated, predictable pro-style offense and you barely have to deal with much offensive creativity.

Orlando looked great against pro-style offenses (USC, Georgia). Problem is, this it the Big 12. No one runs that shit here. We need a guy who's shown consistent, demonstrable success AGAINST SPREAD OFFENSES!! Like Jimmy Lake! Or Morgan Scalley!

Didn't stop Ash's defense from completely buttfucking the unstoppable Mariotta and Oregon. Even with a +3 in TOs for the game, OSU held Oregon to 20 points. Not too mention, the Big 12 isn't the air raid offenses galore it was in 2017. I don't care about defending Big 12 offenses, because talented players with solid fundamentals will create enough stops and TOs for the offense to win games. Give me a guy that can teach sound fundamentals and tackling over anyone that tries to stop Big 12 offenses.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Didn't stop Ash's defense from completely buttfucking the unstoppable Mariotta and Oregon. Even with a +3 in TOs for the game, OSU held Oregon to 20 points. Not too mention, the Big 12 isn't the air raid offenses galore it was in 2017. I don't care about defending Big 12 offenses, because talented players with solid fundamentals will create enough stops and TOs for the offense to win games. Give me a guy that can teach sound fundamentals and tackling over anyone that tries to stop Big 12 offenses.

One game is a completely negligible sample size. Again, Orlando looked great his first year, having inherited upperclassmen who had 3+ years of experience in the conference.

It's adapt or perish in the Big 12. One year's seemingly unstoppable defensive scheme will be outdated and picked apart by the time next year rolls around. Completely different from the Big Ten, where very little offensive innovation happens outside of Ohio State. Don Brown is a perfect example of this - at first glance it looks like Michigan has a good rushing defense. Look closer, and you see that his rushing defense was torn apart by anything that wasn't a pro-style offense out of the 1980s (Army, Ohio State) or had the best RB in the conference (Johnathan Taylor at Wisky).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

What’s this shit about Ty Jordan being cb’d to Utah?

nothing about Texas on his twitter profile bio (don't follow him) but people should check his recent follows if they do?

https://twitter.com/_ylfotyt/followers?lang=en

edit: looks like the managing editor for Ute Zone (247 Utah) VIP'd him to Utah at 2a last night - https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Ty-Jordan-at-West-Mesquite-208862/CurrentExpertPredictions/

don't see anything specific or even hinting at it in that guys tweets

Edited by NoName

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

nothing about Texas on his twitter profile bio (don't follow him) but people should check his recent follows if they do?

https://twitter.com/_ylfotyt/followers?lang=en

edit: looks like the managing editor for Ute Zone (247 Utah) VIP'd him to Utah at 2a last night - https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Ty-Jordan-at-West-Mesquite-208862/CurrentExpertPredictions/

don't see anything specific or even hinting at it in that guys tweets

Don’t think he’s even visited

The Stampede part 1 

Spoiler

The University of Texas inherently holds an expectation of excellence. Usually that expectation extends from the classroom to the playing field, but the Longhorns are also the best at creating interesting off-seasons. After two years of continuity, Tom Herman dismissed or re-assigned several members of his staff on Sunday and will replace both of his coordinators soon.

Sunday was the first day of the contact period, meaning that coaches are allowed on the road to meet with prospective athletes face to face and go on in-home visits. The Longhorns will also be able to host two official visit weekends leading up to the dead period on December 16th. Texas will also attempt to sign as many commits as possible during the early signing period December 18th, and the next few weeks will be huge in accomplishing that goal.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly collection of recruiting intel, we update you on the status of several recruits and commits in the 2020 class, discuss possible recruiting boons among coaching targets, and take a look at how things could change in the 2021 class.

5-star RB Bijan Robinson (Photo: Lucas Aguilar, 247Sports)
I had the chance to check in on several high-profile commitments in the Texas class over the weekend. The biggest priority for fans seems to be five-star Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson, and it appears he is one of the biggest priorities for the staff as well.

I continue to hear that Robinson is solid to Texas, but you can bet other schools are using the staff turnover to negatively recruit. Robinson has told others he plans to sign early but has not confirmed with Horns247. Robinson previously discussed taking official visits to other programs, but he hasn’t set anything up as of yet.

Robinson’s links to the team through recruiting are Tim Beck and Stan Drayton who both survived the initial surge of cuts. Beck was re-assigned but still in-tact, and the ace recruiter is set to be on the road recruiting this week. I’d expect a contingent of Drayton, Beck, and even Bryan Carrington to make their way to Tucson to lock down crown jewel. Robinson mentioned on several occasions that the most important factor with Texas is Drayton. The Longhorns are not expected to move on from Drayton and they know that’s key to retaining Robinson

As of now, I still feel good about Robinson shutting things down in a few weeks and signing with Texas. I haven’t found any substance to the rumors that Robinson is headed to USC, and the Trojans are expected to endure their own staff turnover with head coach Clay Helton’s job on the line.

Not to mention the fact that Texas is targeting USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell according to reports from our Chip Brown. All signs point to Texas here, but expect other schools to use this time period as a last-ditch opportunity to drive a wedge between Robinson and Texas.

Ja’Quinden Jackson is close to Robinson in terms of profile and importance in this class. I had the opportunity to speak with Jackson and several sources near him. The sources I spoke with indicated that staff upheaval (specifically the termination of Tim Beck) could cause Jackson to look around.

I spoke with Jackson himself who basically laughed off the notion that he was interested in any other school and confirmed that he planned to sign on December 18th. Jackson hasn’t ever given me a reason to not trust him, but a source I spoke with said that he excels at playing things close to the vest and being a bit of a wildcard.

A Texas source I spoke with indicated no real concern with Jackson, but they do plan to see him this week. Tim Beck and Bryan Carrington will see him this week, and I’ve been told it’s likely Texas will have representatives at the 6A-D1 regional final between Duncanville and Southlake Carroll at McKinney ISD Stadium on Saturday. Not only would they be able to see Jackson, but they could also be present with Andrej Karic and 2022 quarterback offer Quinn Ewers.

The Longhorns lost a commitment from Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon defensive end Van Fillinger on Sunday. As we’ve reported, Fillinger has been looking around for quite a while, and sources in Austin expected a tough fight to hold on to him leading up to signing day. The staff turnover gave him some cover, and former defensive coordinator Todd Orlando was part of Fillinger’s recruitment.

This leaves the Longhorns with only Vernon Broughton in the class as a defensive line commit. Texas is still pursuing four-star Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins. Collins’ recruitment has been interesting over the last few weeks. In the wake of Texas struggles, rumors picked up that Baylor and Oklahoma moved in front of Texas and in control for the monster defensive lineman.

Oklahoma is certainly a serious threat, but the smoke that Baylor is picking up steam seems to be pre-mature. Oklahoma will pose a threat down the stretch, but a key source close to Collins tells me that Texas is still the team to beat for Collins at this time. In-home visits will still be important down the line, but Texas will continue to recruit him they way they have since the beginning.

I would also expect to see some new targets identified and offered during the contact period at the position. One prospect to keep an eye on is Longview defensive lineman Sawyer Goram-Welch. The Oklahoma State commit drew the eye of the Texas staff last year, but they chose to target higher-rated prospects. If Texas offers, I expect Goram-Welch to at least make a visit. Texas could also take some time to re-evaluate for scheme fit once the new defensive coordinator is hired.

The class as a whole is really starting to unite and show their loyalty on social media in times like this. Despite Fillinger’s decommitment, the class is talking internally and trying to keep everything together. There has also been an effort from the parents in the class to forge a strong bond with the others.

In speaking with the receivers who committed to Drew Mehringer, Troy Omeire, Quentin Johnston, and Dajon Harrison all expressed disappointment but none of them appear to be wavering. On the defensive side of the ball, Fillinger was a casualty of Orlando’s dismissal, but he didn’t have a strong link to any other player in the 2020 class.

Where Orlando’s loss might be felt most is in 2021. Both Derrick Harris and Billy Bowman expressed disappointment and shock following the news of Orlando’s firing. Both prospects said they remain committed, but Bowman in particular seemed to be hit hard by it. Texas will have time to smooth things over, and they will need to if they want to keep their 2021 core in-tact.

As for the rest of the 2021 group, they all seem pretty solid. Of course, the centerpiece of that group is quarterback commit Jalen Milroe. With Tim Beck still on staff, Milroe should be solid. Still, Tim Beck will be in contact to make sure nothing is amiss with the future signal-caller.

As far as uncommitted prospects in the 2021 class, the season hasn’t done much to help them. Over the past few weeks, I’ve gathered intel on a few high priority prospects and there hasn’t been a lot of good news.

A source near Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer told me that the season wasn't exactly helpful for their recruitment with Texas. Their brother Luke being on the team can be both positive and negative for Texas, and in times of turmoil, it certainly turned into a negative. Clemson and Alabama loom large in these recruitments, and LSU came on strong near the end of the year. In fact, I was told by sources near the Brockermeyers and on the LSU side that the Tigers made a huge impression on them. If they were making a decision today, I wouldn’t expect it to be the Longhorns.

You may have noticed that All Saints Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson picked up a few crystal ball picks for Ohio State. Jackson has family on his mother’s side originally from Ohio, and the Buckeyes have always been a major threat. In fact, Jackson’s mother keeps a buckeye in her purse at all times (I’ve seen it). Texas was in a strong position for Jackson as recently as a month ago, but their struggles on the field and Ohio State’s success appears to be causing some separation. I spoke to sources near Jackson this week who said that Ohio State is definitely near the top, but they aren’t sure of Jackson’s timing. Regardless, Texas needs to get back the momentum they were generating with Jackson throughout the fall.

Leading into the season, I would have put great odds on Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle being in the 2021 class. Texas had been recruiting him for quite a while and had a great fit for him at the slot. The struggles they endured this season and the success of LSU caused some pause for Earle. Texas still sits high on his list, but LSU is probably the team generating the most buzz right now. The Longhorns can still sell the production of Devin Duvernay, but LSU is a team to watch as they surge towards the playoffs.

As I wrote about last night, Bryan Carrington will be on the road this week. With no game to prepare for, Texas can go all out on the road and they will need to. I’m told that Carrington will be called upon to be present with a number of big targets.

Carrington is expected to be in Arizona to see Bijan Robinson, and I’m told he will also see Kelee Ringo. The five-star Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro cornerback is set to play in the state championship game this week, but Texas is working to get him on campus. Jason Washington is set to see Ringo this week, and Carrington will likely be there. Ringo plans to visit Georgia before the signing period, but I’m told Texas could be working on setting up a visit following the state title game. There’s also a chance Ringo could push his decision back past the All-American Bowl and sign in February which would give Texas a chance to host him during January.

The staff will also see Ja’Quinden Jackson, Prince Dorbah, Troy Omeire, and Kitan Crawford. There isn’t much concern for any of those commits, but Carrington has strong relationships with them and will likely be out to see them.

I’m also told that Carrington will see uncommitted targets such as Alfred Collins, Kelvontay Dixon, and Jaqwondis Burns. Burns’ only link to Texas was Todd Orlando, so the Longhorns will need to scramble there.

The bottom line is, there’s a lot of negative perception out there. The remaining staff can hit the road and overcome the perception starting today.

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

The Stampede part 1 

Hide contents

The University of Texas inherently holds an expectation of excellence. Usually that expectation extends from the classroom to the playing field, but the Longhorns are also the best at creating interesting off-seasons. After two years of continuity, Tom Herman dismissed or re-assigned several members of his staff on Sunday and will replace both of his coordinators soon.

Sunday was the first day of the contact period, meaning that coaches are allowed on the road to meet with prospective athletes face to face and go on in-home visits. The Longhorns will also be able to host two official visit weekends leading up to the dead period on December 16th. Texas will also attempt to sign as many commits as possible during the early signing period December 18th, and the next few weeks will be huge in accomplishing that goal.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly collection of recruiting intel, we update you on the status of several recruits and commits in the 2020 class, discuss possible recruiting boons among coaching targets, and take a look at how things could change in the 2021 class.

5-star RB Bijan Robinson (Photo: Lucas Aguilar, 247Sports)
I had the chance to check in on several high-profile commitments in the Texas class over the weekend. The biggest priority for fans seems to be five-star Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson, and it appears he is one of the biggest priorities for the staff as well.

I continue to hear that Robinson is solid to Texas, but you can bet other schools are using the staff turnover to negatively recruit. Robinson has told others he plans to sign early but has not confirmed with Horns247. Robinson previously discussed taking official visits to other programs, but he hasn’t set anything up as of yet.

Robinson’s links to the team through recruiting are Tim Beck and Stan Drayton who both survived the initial surge of cuts. Beck was re-assigned but still in-tact, and the ace recruiter is set to be on the road recruiting this week. I’d expect a contingent of Drayton, Beck, and even Bryan Carrington to make their way to Tucson to lock down crown jewel. Robinson mentioned on several occasions that the most important factor with Texas is Drayton. The Longhorns are not expected to move on from Drayton and they know that’s key to retaining Robinson

As of now, I still feel good about Robinson shutting things down in a few weeks and signing with Texas. I haven’t found any substance to the rumors that Robinson is headed to USC, and the Trojans are expected to endure their own staff turnover with head coach Clay Helton’s job on the line.

Not to mention the fact that Texas is targeting USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell according to reports from our Chip Brown. All signs point to Texas here, but expect other schools to use this time period as a last-ditch opportunity to drive a wedge between Robinson and Texas.

Ja’Quinden Jackson is close to Robinson in terms of profile and importance in this class. I had the opportunity to speak with Jackson and several sources near him. The sources I spoke with indicated that staff upheaval (specifically the termination of Tim Beck) could cause Jackson to look around.

I spoke with Jackson himself who basically laughed off the notion that he was interested in any other school and confirmed that he planned to sign on December 18th. Jackson hasn’t ever given me a reason to not trust him, but a source I spoke with said that he excels at playing things close to the vest and being a bit of a wildcard.

A Texas source I spoke with indicated no real concern with Jackson, but they do plan to see him this week. Tim Beck and Bryan Carrington will see him this week, and I’ve been told it’s likely Texas will have representatives at the 6A-D1 regional final between Duncanville and Southlake Carroll at McKinney ISD Stadium on Saturday. Not only would they be able to see Jackson, but they could also be present with Andrej Karic and 2022 quarterback offer Quinn Ewers.

The Longhorns lost a commitment from Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon defensive end Van Fillinger on Sunday. As we’ve reported, Fillinger has been looking around for quite a while, and sources in Austin expected a tough fight to hold on to him leading up to signing day. The staff turnover gave him some cover, and former defensive coordinator Todd Orlando was part of Fillinger’s recruitment.

This leaves the Longhorns with only Vernon Broughton in the class as a defensive line commit. Texas is still pursuing four-star Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins. Collins’ recruitment has been interesting over the last few weeks. In the wake of Texas struggles, rumors picked up that Baylor and Oklahoma moved in front of Texas and in control for the monster defensive lineman.

Oklahoma is certainly a serious threat, but the smoke that Baylor is picking up steam seems to be pre-mature. Oklahoma will pose a threat down the stretch, but a key source close to Collins tells me that Texas is still the team to beat for Collins at this time. In-home visits will still be important down the line, but Texas will continue to recruit him they way they have since the beginning.

I would also expect to see some new targets identified and offered during the contact period at the position. One prospect to keep an eye on is Longview defensive lineman Sawyer Goram-Welch. The Oklahoma State commit drew the eye of the Texas staff last year, but they chose to target higher-rated prospects. If Texas offers, I expect Goram-Welch to at least make a visit. Texas could also take some time to re-evaluate for scheme fit once the new defensive coordinator is hired.

The class as a whole is really starting to unite and show their loyalty on social media in times like this. Despite Fillinger’s decommitment, the class is talking internally and trying to keep everything together. There has also been an effort from the parents in the class to forge a strong bond with the others.

In speaking with the receivers who committed to Drew Mehringer, Troy Omeire, Quentin Johnston, and Dajon Harrison all expressed disappointment but none of them appear to be wavering. On the defensive side of the ball, Fillinger was a casualty of Orlando’s dismissal, but he didn’t have a strong link to any other player in the 2020 class.

Where Orlando’s loss might be felt most is in 2021. Both Derrick Harris and Billy Bowman expressed disappointment and shock following the news of Orlando’s firing. Both prospects said they remain committed, but Bowman in particular seemed to be hit hard by it. Texas will have time to smooth things over, and they will need to if they want to keep their 2021 core in-tact.

As for the rest of the 2021 group, they all seem pretty solid. Of course, the centerpiece of that group is quarterback commit Jalen Milroe. With Tim Beck still on staff, Milroe should be solid. Still, Tim Beck will be in contact to make sure nothing is amiss with the future signal-caller.

As far as uncommitted prospects in the 2021 class, the season hasn’t done much to help them. Over the past few weeks, I’ve gathered intel on a few high priority prospects and there hasn’t been a lot of good news.

A source near Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer told me that the season wasn't exactly helpful for their recruitment with Texas. Their brother Luke being on the team can be both positive and negative for Texas, and in times of turmoil, it certainly turned into a negative. Clemson and Alabama loom large in these recruitments, and LSU came on strong near the end of the year. In fact, I was told by sources near the Brockermeyers and on the LSU side that the Tigers made a huge impression on them. If they were making a decision today, I wouldn’t expect it to be the Longhorns.

You may have noticed that All Saints Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson picked up a few crystal ball picks for Ohio State. Jackson has family on his mother’s side originally from Ohio, and the Buckeyes have always been a major threat. In fact, Jackson’s mother keeps a buckeye in her purse at all times (I’ve seen it). Texas was in a strong position for Jackson as recently as a month ago, but their struggles on the field and Ohio State’s success appears to be causing some separation. I spoke to sources near Jackson this week who said that Ohio State is definitely near the top, but they aren’t sure of Jackson’s timing. Regardless, Texas needs to get back the momentum they were generating with Jackson throughout the fall.

Leading into the season, I would have put great odds on Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle being in the 2021 class. Texas had been recruiting him for quite a while and had a great fit for him at the slot. The struggles they endured this season and the success of LSU caused some pause for Earle. Texas still sits high on his list, but LSU is probably the team generating the most buzz right now. The Longhorns can still sell the production of Devin Duvernay, but LSU is a team to watch as they surge towards the playoffs.

As I wrote about last night, Bryan Carrington will be on the road this week. With no game to prepare for, Texas can go all out on the road and they will need to. I’m told that Carrington will be called upon to be present with a number of big targets.

Carrington is expected to be in Arizona to see Bijan Robinson, and I’m told he will also see Kelee Ringo. The five-star Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro cornerback is set to play in the state championship game this week, but Texas is working to get him on campus. Jason Washington is set to see Ringo this week, and Carrington will likely be there. Ringo plans to visit Georgia before the signing period, but I’m told Texas could be working on setting up a visit following the state title game. There’s also a chance Ringo could push his decision back past the All-American Bowl and sign in February which would give Texas a chance to host him during January.

The staff will also see Ja’Quinden Jackson, Prince Dorbah, Troy Omeire, and Kitan Crawford. There isn’t much concern for any of those commits, but Carrington has strong relationships with them and will likely be out to see them.

I’m also told that Carrington will see uncommitted targets such as Alfred Collins, Kelvontay Dixon, and Jaqwondis Burns. Burns’ only link to Texas was Todd Orlando, so the Longhorns will need to scramble there.

The bottom line is, there’s a lot of negative perception out there. The remaining staff can hit the road and overcome the perception starting today.

He thinks we're still the school to beat for Collins? I'm not so sure about that one. 

10 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

He thinks we're still the school to beat for Collins? I'm not so sure about that one. 

Mike isn't exactly known to go out on a limb about things, and also isn't exactly known to be a sunshine pumper so...i am choosing to have faith

world cup please GIF by ESPN México

DGFs spinal stenosis reexamination is today per his Instagram stories. 

If you're a praying person, now's the time. Either way, he's proven to be an exceptional kid and an asset to the program.

Per IT updates, some ground needs to be made up with Burns considering TO was his recruiter. If DGF is officially out, they'll need to make up that ground quickly. Texas has the added benefit of Ole Miss firing Luke, so Texas may also be the more stable option.

• Like 6

Here you go, Tex.  The complete update.

Blair Angulo / 247 on Bijan Robinson.

He says no more visits, but he's already officially visited USC and Ohio State, so that may not mean much. 

Spoiler

The calendar has hit December and 'tis officially the season for recruit uncertainty, coaching moves and 11th-hour switches.

Bijan Robinson announced his commitment to Texas over the summer but has been one of the most intriguing recruits to monitor out West given the situation in Austin, as well as the continued pursuit from some national powers.

Although the likes of LSU, Ohio State and USC have been pushing for several months and communication with other coaches has not been completely shut off, the 247Sports Composite five-star running back from Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic tells 247Sports his sole focus lately has been on the Longhorns.

"Nothing has changed for me," Robinson said. "I'm still with Texas and, no, I will not be taking visits to any other schools."

Robinson, the nation's No. 16 overall prospect, No. 2 among running backs and No. 2 in the state of Arizona for the 2020 class according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings, committed to the Longhorns in early August. He had also been a brief "silent" commit to the Buckeyes, whom landed his Salpointe Catholic teammate and fellow All-American Bowl honoree Lathan Ransom.

The 6-foot, 200-pound back is the top-rated commit for the Longhorns.

Robinson was credited with 2,235 rushing yards and 38 touchdowns in 11 games as a senior this season, averaging over 17 yards per carry.

• Like 2

Mike Roach / Horns 247

The Stampede (Pt. 2): WR coaches that could boost recruiting

Spoiler

There are now several openings on the Texas coaching staff. After former wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer was dismissed and Corby Meekins was re-assigned, the Longhorns are left with former analyst Andre Coleman in an interim role for the bowl season. Traditionally, the wide receiver coach position is usually reserved for one of the stronger recruiters on staff, but they also must be a strong teacher of the position.

The new offensive coordinator hire will probably have to weigh in on who his new wide receiver coach is, but the Longhorns have a chance to make their team better while strengthening their recruiting staff with the right hire at the position. I spoke to several recruiting sources around the state of Texas to get an idea of what coaches would be the ideal targets for Tom Herman and his future offensive coordinator.

Regardless of the current state of the program, there is still a lot of power and prestige that comes with wearing the Longhorn logo on the chest. Texas should be able to land a great candidate for the job.

Emmett Jones, Kansas

Background: Jones played his high school ball at Seagoville and then walked on at Texas Tech before entering the coaching profession after graduating from North Texas. Jones rose to prominence as the offensive coordinator for legendary high school coach Reginald Samples at Dallas Lincoln and Dallas Skyline. Jones then moved on to accept the head coaching position at South Oak Cliff before taking a collegiate position at Texas Tech in 2015. When Kliff Kingsbury was fired, Jones took a position on Les Miles’ staff at Kansas. On the field, Jones was integral in the development of Texas Tech receivers Antoine Wesley, TJ Vasher, and Keke Coutee. 

On the recruiting trail, Jones was responsible for landing players such as Velton Gardner, Ta'Zhawn Henry, SaRodorick Thompson, Riko Jeffers, and Steven Parker.

On the Field: Jones has a strong relationship as a wide receiver developer, and he has experience in multiple offenses. The bulk of his collegiate experience came under Kliff Kingsbury as an air raid coach assigned raw but athletic prospects at the position. Jones also has a strong reputation among the players who play under him.

Impact: Jones would instantly be one of the most dangerous recruiters in the country. He’s been able to put together strong groups at Texas Tech and Kansas, but that would be nothing compared to what he could do with the Texas logo backing him. Jones would specifically shine in south Dallas where his ties to the area and knowledge of prospects provide him with a built-in advantage no other in-state team has.

One south Dallas coach I spoke with said, “He would win recruiter of the year at Texas. It wouldn’t even be close. He will shut down Dallas if they let him loose.”

Interest: In speaking with several sources familiar with Jones, I was told that while he has a good thing going at Kansas, it would be difficult to turn down a chance to recruit for Texas. Should the Longhorns make an offer, I expect him to take a long look at it.

Ra'Shaad Samples, SMU

Background: Texas fans are no stranger to Samples. A former standout at Dallas Skyline (under Emmett Jones), Samples signed with Oklahoma State but ended up transferring to the University of Houston. Following his playing career, Samples served as an offensive assistant where he worked with running backs, receivers, and quarterbacks. Samples later followed Tom Herman to Texas and assisted Drew Mehringer with wide receivers while serving as an on-campus recruiter. 

Samples was key in helping Texas open doors in south Dallas which was something they hadn’t been able to do under Herman. He played a big role in landing Ja’Quinden Jackson who plays for Samples’ father Reginald at Duncanville, and he served as a primary point of contact for several other prospects before being hired by SMU in a full-time on-field coaching role.

On the Field: This is Samples’ first year as an on-field assistant, but he has experience working with most of the receivers on the current Texas roster. His inexperience could be a negative factor, but SMU wide receivers have been incredibly productive this season and he comes from a strong tradition of coaching.

Impact: Samples made a big splash with the Dallas to Austin movement while on staff at Texas. His recruiting impact carried over to SMU where Samples has the Mustangs in the race for several big-name prospects. Samples has obvious connections at Duncanville, but he would be an effective recruiter in any region. His name carries enough power, and his relationship-building skill and genuine personality allow him to relate to kids from many different social backgrounds.

Interest: Samples loved his time at Texas, but an on-field role at SMU was too tough for him to turn down. Samples is starting to build quite a following back in his home city, but Texas would be a strong move for his career.

Jeff Traylor, Arkansas

Background: Traylor is currently the associate head coach and running backs coach for Arkansas. The former Texas assistant rose to prominence as a high school coach and turned his alma mater Gilmer into a Texas powerhouse.

Traylor was hired by Texas after winning three state championships at Gilmer and served under Charlie Strong for his last two years in Austin. Traylor went on to serve under Chad Morris at SMU and followed him to Arkansas last year. With Morris out at Arkansas, Traylor will be a coveted free agent. Traylor has been a jack of all trades coaching special teams, tight ends, and running backs at the college level.

On the Field: Traylor doesn’t have college experience coaching receivers, but there’s little doubt he could do it. Traylor’s offenses in high school were among the most innovative in the state, and his wealth of coaching experience means he could likely transition to the position easily.

Impact: Traylor has been a dynamite recruiter at the college level, and his influence in east Texas is unmatched. Texas fans saw that when Traylor helped to land players such as Brandon Jones and Montrell Estell. Traylor would continue to lockdown east Texas, and he has the ability to step in as a specialist in any region of the state. Traylor’s lack of experience at the receiver position would be offset by his tremendous recruiting ability and reputation as a player’s coach.

Interest: A source I spoke with during the fall said that Traylor was the only assistant from Strong’s staff that Tom Herman had an interest in keeping. Traylor was considered for an off-field role but chose to move on and keep coaching. The same source indicated that Traylor would very much be open to the idea of returning to Austin.

Per IT

Spoiler

Things turned fast on the Morgan Scalley pursuit as he offered a thanks but no thanks. A lot has changed in a year and he no longer needs a stepping stone job in order to be under consideration for head coaching jobs.

Bummer. He's beloved by his players and would have been a rainmaker recruiter.

Names we've heard since late last night include Jimmy Lake and Barry Odom, but right now things are pointing in Chris Ash's direction. I've heard that removing Todd Orlando as DC was Herman's decision. Orlando being a Herman favorite, along with Drew Mehringer (also terminated), makes more sense if Herman felt he'd be able to hire Ash. In a shocking coincidence, if Ash is hired, the best man across the entire spectrum of football worked with Herman at Ohio State.

I'm not sure Texas should be in a hurry to make a defensive coordinator hire but things seem to be moving pretty quickly in Ash's direction. They should definitely gauge all relevant parties to see how this hire would be received. I think Ash would be fine schematically and runs a four-man front but the locker room fit is questionable. As a recruiter he would be able to tell kids he coached Nick Bosa's brother.

On offense I still hear Graham Harrell is the top target. I know there's talk of Joe Brady out there but I'm not buying it for a couple of reasons: LSU will just match offers, and I heard UT wanted OC wrapped up pretty quickly. Brady's about to help LSU win a National Championship.

Clay Helton's employment may still be undecided at USC. I've heard a range of things, from they're still working on buyout details to the AD and BMD's being on different pages. The AD might be trying to hold on to Helton and Harrell. I don't know the politics of USC but it seems whoever made the call on hiring the new AD might still want Helton.

I think Harrell can be had regardless but it would be harder to pull him if Helton is still the head coach at SC.

Joe will be adding questions and replies in the op. So if don't have time to read through, just circle back.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Per IT

Reveal hidden contents

Things turned fast on the Morgan Scalley pursuit as he offered a thanks but no thanks. A lot has changed in a year and he no longer needs a stepping stone job in order to be under consideration for head coaching jobs.

Bummer. He's beloved by his players and would have been a rainmaker recruiter.

Names we've heard since late last night include Jimmy Lake and Barry Odom, but right now things are pointing in Chris Ash's direction. I've heard that removing Todd Orlando as DC was Herman's decision. Orlando being a Herman favorite, along with Drew Mehringer (also terminated), makes more sense if Herman felt he'd be able to hire Ash. In a shocking coincidence, if Ash is hired, the best man across the entire spectrum of football worked with Herman at Ohio State.

I'm not sure Texas should be in a hurry to make a defensive coordinator hire but things seem to be moving pretty quickly in Ash's direction. They should definitely gauge all relevant parties to see how this hire would be received. I think Ash would be fine schematically and runs a four-man front but the locker room fit is questionable. As a recruiter he would be able to tell kids he coached Nick Bosa's brother.

On offense I still hear Graham Harrell is the top target. I know there's talk of Joe Brady out there but I'm not buying it for a couple of reasons: LSU will just match offers, and I heard UT wanted OC wrapped up pretty quickly. Brady's about to help LSU win a National Championship.

Clay Helton's employment may still be undecided at USC. I've heard a range of things, from they're still working on buyout details to the AD and BMD's being on different pages. The AD might be trying to hold on to Helton and Harrell. I don't know the politics of USC but it seems whoever made the call on hiring the new AD might still want Helton.

I think Harrell can be had regardless but it would be harder to pull him if Helton is still the head coach at SC.

Joe will be adding questions and replies in the op. So if don't have time to read through, just circle back.

Unsurprisingly Scalley is out.  Lake is just as unlikely.  So that leaves Steele & Odom as two big name 'non-Ash' candidates?  Anyone else we should be looking at?