Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, Getafix said:

So .... in the past, I thought Tony Gibson did well at West Virginia, considering the talent level, school, conference/opposing offenses, etc..  Also had some DBs drafted.  Any thoughts on the guy?  

Will be interesting to see what brand of coaching hire they make. It appears they are going to hire Harrell as OC which fits the mold of a guy who spends 2 seasons before taking a P5 HC gig. If they're looking for a longer term DC, guys like Tony Gibson would be at least mentioned but it appears from the names (Lake, Scalley, Odom), they're more interested in a mercenary/hc rehab hire a la Saban/Meyer. It's worked for them, though Herman often references Dabo when discussing program building and that's not the approach that Dabo has taken.

16 minutes ago, Getafix said:

So .... in the past, I thought Tony Gibson did well at West Virginia, considering the talent level, school, conference/opposing offenses, etc..  Also had some DBs drafted.  Any thoughts on the guy?  

Drat - wrong thread, sorry.

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Will be interesting to see what brand of coaching hire they make. It appears they are going to hire Harrell as OC which fits the mold of a guy who spends 2 seasons before taking a P5 HC gig. If they're looking for a longer term DC, guys like Tony Gibson would be at least mentioned but it appears from the names (Lake, Scalley, Odom), they're more interested in a mercenary/hc rehab hire a la Saban/Meyer. It's worked for them, though Herman often references Dabo when discussing program building and that's not the approach that Dabo has taken.

Interesting thought .... 

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Time to stop getting up and comers.. it's burned us this far.. I know Lincoln worked out well for ou, but we seem to be snake bit. Get guys in here who want to make a splash for a season or two and get a HC gig. Herman needs to be the face of a train that ain't gonna stop

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Tough thing is that he went to Wisco - might see himself as a lifer unless an HC job opens up.

Normally I'd agree, but I think part of the reason he got the DC job so quickly was to keep him. I think he'll be aggressive with his career choices.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well we were going to take 4 DL and only have one committed soooooo

A small class (17, maybe 16 if Ty decoms) is fine until the attrition monster hits. We need bodies across the board. While much can be done in 2021, I'd rather not rely on true freshman depth considering what we've watched this year. I am a-o-k with adding a project  and 2-3 jags. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

A small class (17, maybe 16 if Ty decoms) is fine until the attrition monster hits. We need bodies across the board. While much can be done in 2021, I'd rather not rely on true freshman depth considering what we've watched this year. I am a-o-k with adding a project  and 2-3 jags. 

So...Branard Wright anyone???

48 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Time to stop getting up and comers.. it's burned us this far.. I know Lincoln worked out well for ou, but we seem to be snake bit. Get guys in here who want to make a splash for a season or two and get a HC gig. Herman needs to be the face of a train that ain't gonna stop

Isn't that exactly what an up and comer is? 

Just now, irishtexan said:

Isn't that exactly what an up and comer is? 

Harrell seems more proven than Sterlin was.. We don't need a Diaz, and Ash is already better than Diaz ever was.... I mean technically Harrell has a much better resume than even Lincoln had coming into ou, no?  

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Harrell seems more proven than Sterlin was.. We don't need a Diaz, and Ash is already better than Diaz ever was.... I mean technically Harrell has a much better resume than even Lincoln had coming into ou, no?  

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I guess I mean coordinators that have proven their salt at a P5 school maybe? Think I just confused myself with your question.. Is this how being RocketHorn feels like?

If they're established and on their way to being an HC at their current gig then they don't need to leave to come take a chance at Texas. Harrell's an anomaly because of his ties to the state, and the uncertainty of his boss' employment. There isn't really a DC equivalent of Harrell. 

• Like 1

Just now, irishtexan said:

If they're established and on their way to being an HC at their current gig then they don't need to leave to come take a chance at Texas. Harrell's an anomaly because of his ties to the state, and the uncertainty of his boss' employment. There isn't really a DC equivalent of Harrell. 

But you think a DC who had some experience at different P5 stops and even had a HC stint at a P5 school.. that's pretty decent on paper, no?

33 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

yeah, who wants a good DC amirite?

Spoiler

Diaz as DC at Texas:

• 2011: #6 in DFEI
  • 2012: #63 in DFEI

Texas finished 2013 at #23

Also, Manny Diaz as a DC after leaving Texas was pretty damn good:

• 2014 - La Tech: #21 (Texas was #13)
  • 2015 - Miss State: #31 (Texas was #47)
  • 2016 - Miami: #11 (Texas was #51)
  • 2017 - Miami: #15 (Texas was #7)
  • 2018 - Miami: #5 (Texas was #44)
  • 2019 - Miami as HC: #19 (Texas is #57)

Diaz had his issues but Manny has been a pretty fucking good DC for a while.

Edited by NoName

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah, who wants a good DC amirite?

Reveal hidden contents

Diaz as DC at Texas:

• 2011: #6 in DFEI
  • 2012: #63 in DFEI

Texas finished 2013 at #23

Also, Manny Diaz as a DC after leaving Texas was pretty damn good:

• 2014 - La Tech: #21 (Texas was #13)
  • 2015 - Miss State: #31 (Texas was #47)
  • 2016 - Miami: #11 (Texas was #51)
  • 2017 - Miami: #15 (Texas was #7)
  • 2018 - Miami: #5 (Texas was #44)
  • 2019 - Miami as HC: #19 (Texas is #57)

Diaz had his issues but Manny has been a pretty fucking good DC for a while.

Wait Diaz was a good DC? in Miami under Richt?

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Diaz was a good DC except with Akina (and vice-versa).  I think both are good coaches but Akina's a Mod3 and Man coach and Diaz is a Palms/FZ guy.  It was a bad mix.

This. The love/hate going on regarding these two guys is misguided -- they should never have been on the same staff together, that's all.

• Like 1

Just now, RGBIII said:

Orlando was his primary recruiter. Think Utah is in the mix as well

But why would we need a DC to close him?

We have coaches and recruiters on staff who should be able to sell him program over coach. We don't need a DC to close on the program. It's not like a new DC wouldn't use linebackers.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

But why would we need a DC to close him?

We have coaches and recruiters on staff who should be able to sell him program over coach. We don't need a DC to close on the program. It's not like a new DC wouldn't use linebackers.

He chose us because his head coach basically told him Orlando was the best thing since sliced bread. They knew each other back when Orlando was at Utah State iirc.