Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

IT is reporting Q Johnston and Crawford are looking around at other schools. 

Crawford is shocking given how locked in he was and his position coach still being around. QJ I guess a bit less, even if his position coaches were Hipster Stalin and a sea sponge.

For what it's worth:

Edited by texifornia

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

JFC. TCU went 5-7 coming off a 7-6 season. How can we lose recruits to that pregnant, sweaty motherfucker?!

And look at how effective All-Everything WR Jalen Raegor was.

Apparently QJ just really like's TCU's WR coach as a dude.

Anyway, a bit of stability and some Carrington should hopefully firm things up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

JFC. TCU went 5-7 coming off a 7-6 season. How can we lose recruits to that pregnant, sweaty motherfucker?!

We are a complete shit show right now. They can sell they were taking their lumps now with a true freshman QB and Texas is likely going to fire Herman in a year. By the time Johnston is ready to be a starter we will likely have a new head coach and certainly a new QB while Duggan will be a junior with a lot of starts under his belt. 

It’s really not that hard to negatively recruit against us right now. There is a cost to sucking with a dead man walking at head coach. 

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We are a complete shit show right now. They can sell they were taking their lumps now with a true freshman QB and Texas is likely going to fire Herman in a year. By the time Johnston is ready to be a starter we will likely have a new head coach and certainly a new QB while Duggan will be a junior with a lot of starts under his belt. 

It’s really not that hard to negatively recruit against us right now. There is a cost to sucking with a dead man walking at head coach. 

Honestly, both programs are in a slump, and we've had the more recent success. I'm just surprised he's not talking to Baylor.

12 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The concept of negatively recruiting Texas is not hard to understand.

The concept of positively recruiting a WR to TCU is. They suck. Reagor couldn’t even put up yards this year (except against a Todd Orlando defense of course) and there’s a good chance they fire their OC this year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, futureman said:

why wasn't he under contract yesterday. 

maybe looking for somebody with proven ability to coach the position. Samples is a beast at recruiting. but there is no indication of what his ability to coach the position is. and that is something we need in our next WR coach.

or holding it off for the next OC to install his guy. 

42 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

maybe looking for somebody with proven ability to coach the position. Samples is a beast at recruiting. but there is no indication of what his ability to coach the position is. and that is something we need in our next WR coach.

or holding it off for the next OC to install his guy. 

I think it is likely that we will hire the OC/DC before we replace any of the positional coaches.  Have to give the coordinators at least an opportunity to bring in one or two of their own guys.

I'm really hoping that we announce the new OC/DC shortly after the conference title games this weekend.

• Like 2

Mike Roach / Horns 247 on Alfred Collins / AA Jersey / Recruiting

Spoiler

Alfred Collins was officially added to an elite fraternity today.

The four-star defensive end from Bastrop Cedar Creek received his All-American Bowl Jersey in front of his family and fellow students this morning. Collins was honored by the experience, and he said the entire thing was a bit surreal.

“It’s an honor,” he said. “Whenever I got the news, I didn’t believe it. It just shows all of my hard work paid off.”

The game is played just down the road from Collins in San Antonio, and he said his family is excited to take part in the celebration and see him play his final high school contest.

“They are very excited,” he said. “A lot of people will be there.”

The All-American Bowl holds a rich tradition with players such as Odell Beckham Jr., Ezekiel Elliott, Chase Young, and Trevor Lawrence on the alumni roster. Collins said he wasn’t very familiar with the history of the game, but he’s excited to follow in the footsteps of those who came before him.

“Not really,” he said. “I never really thought I’d be in this situation. It’s an honor. That’s pretty cool to me.”

On the recruiting trail, it’s still wide open. Collins is preparing to host some in-home visits with coaches on the road this week, and he’s preparing to take his final official visit of the cycle this weekend.

“I have an official visit with Baylor December 14th,” he said. “Today, A&M is coming to the house. Thursday, Coach (Oscar) Giles is coming to the house and then sometime next week, ‘Bama is coming in.”

Texas went through quite a bit of staff turnover this week, but Collins said it doesn’t really change much for him.

“Honestly, it doesn’t really change how I see them,” Collins said.

Collins will have all of his official visits out of the way following his Baylor trip. It was originally thought that he’d decide early, but Collins intends to take his decision to February.

“It will be in February on National Signing Day,” Collins said.

Collins and his family sat down over the last few weeks to discuss the most important factors to his decision. He’s been consistent over the last year in saying that he wants a family vibe and a high level of comfort, and it sounds like that is what will win out in the end.

“I’ve just got to feel comfortable,” he said. “I already know wherever I go I’m going to get a great education. But say if I wasn’t playing football would I want to be there for four years?”

At 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, Collins is ranked as the No. 8 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 20 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach / Horns 247 on Alfred Collins / AA Jersey / Recruiting

Hide contents

Alfred Collins was officially added to an elite fraternity today.

The four-star defensive end from Bastrop Cedar Creek received his All-American Bowl Jersey in front of his family and fellow students this morning. Collins was honored by the experience, and he said the entire thing was a bit surreal.

“It’s an honor,” he said. “Whenever I got the news, I didn’t believe it. It just shows all of my hard work paid off.”

The game is played just down the road from Collins in San Antonio, and he said his family is excited to take part in the celebration and see him play his final high school contest.

“They are very excited,” he said. “A lot of people will be there.”

The All-American Bowl holds a rich tradition with players such as Odell Beckham Jr., Ezekiel Elliott, Chase Young, and Trevor Lawrence on the alumni roster. Collins said he wasn’t very familiar with the history of the game, but he’s excited to follow in the footsteps of those who came before him.

“Not really,” he said. “I never really thought I’d be in this situation. It’s an honor. That’s pretty cool to me.”

On the recruiting trail, it’s still wide open. Collins is preparing to host some in-home visits with coaches on the road this week, and he’s preparing to take his final official visit of the cycle this weekend.

“I have an official visit with Baylor December 14th,” he said. “Today, A&M is coming to the house. Thursday, Coach (Oscar) Giles is coming to the house and then sometime next week, ‘Bama is coming in.”

Texas went through quite a bit of staff turnover this week, but Collins said it doesn’t really change much for him.

“Honestly, it doesn’t really change how I see them,” Collins said.

Collins will have all of his official visits out of the way following his Baylor trip. It was originally thought that he’d decide early, but Collins intends to take his decision to February.

“It will be in February on National Signing Day,” Collins said.

Collins and his family sat down over the last few weeks to discuss the most important factors to his decision. He’s been consistent over the last year in saying that he wants a family vibe and a high level of comfort, and it sounds like that is what will win out in the end.

“I’ve just got to feel comfortable,” he said. “I already know wherever I go I’m going to get a great education. But say if I wasn’t playing football would I want to be there for four years?”

At 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, Collins is ranked as the No. 8 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 20 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

He's taking his last OV and his in homes in the next 2 weeks, but he's announcing in February?  Has to be Texas, no? and if it isn't, the new staff can work him in January leading up to NSD 2 right?

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Also, interesting phrasing of the tweet ... 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">All-American Bowl tour honors <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texas?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Texas</a> commit Alfred Collins. <a href="https://t.co/tp8ZhnzYQf">https://t.co/tp8ZhnzYQf</a> <a href="https://t.co/CIMjeAoidm">pic.twitter.com/CIMjeAoidm</a></p>&mdash; Horns247 (@Horns247) <a href="https://twitter.com/Horns247/status/1201887835634257920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 3, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fascinating.