Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I just don't get why he would abandon his mom for Utah, even if they are having a good year. He spurned USC to commit to here because of his mom. I'm just confused, I guess? I assume he's accepted that he has to make his own decisions in the end, and I hope he chooses us, but I can't fault a kid who wants to do his own thing. 

Better, more stable team and a view to a better path to the NFL where he can support his family is the sell I'm guessing.

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Better, more stable team and a view to a better path to the NFL where he can support his family is the sell I'm guessing.

Yeah, I agree with you. It's definitely more stable than us, so I can't fault him for that. This is really their first year they've had 11 wins, and haven't had 10 in almost 4 years. But again, they're more stable than us, but it still stings. 

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Roach / Horns 247 on Tommy Brockermeyer Top 5

Hide contents

Texas makes it along with LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Clemson. I was told it came down to a tough decision. Texas really needs to turn things around or risk losing an elite legacy.

So a porche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, and a fully loaded Honda Accord 

35 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Baffles me the love Meh gets from recruits but he’s hated by those actually on campus.

Lots of recruits hate that clown. Many more than the few he befriended once he knew his ass could get axed, he worked harder on politicking than coaching the last 3 months.

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

He may be a shit coach but the guy could recruit.

I disagree. Bru gave him a lot of credit and like I mentioned, he went out of his way to befriend the commits in this class but he was not the reason we got Jake, Moore, Eagles, Kennedy, Washington...the list goes on. He was definitely a big part of why others we wanted did not pick us, dudes a square.

10 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Look at what they credit him for, Bru is gone. He didn't get JWhit, Smith, Kennedy or Washington. Drew was not the reason why any of those 4 came here, Bru was a mess.

yeah keep making excuses.  bottom line, herman just fired the third best recruiter in all of college football.  we will feel it with the 2020 class. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Bobby Burton: Thursday

Yesterday, Mike Roach and I taped the weekly State of Recruiting podcast. We reviewed the Texas commitment list player by player. I asked Mike to put the players and the relative strength of their pledge to Texas into three different categories, starting with a level of most concerned given the coaching changes to least concerned. The result was somewhat encouraging.

While Mike most definitely has concerns because of coaching attrition, the majority of Texas' 17 commitments appear to be solid and prepared to sign in the early signing period in just two weeks. Here's the link to the podcast if you'd like to listen: https://megaphone.link/CBS1650384721

Additionally, Mike went ahead and put an article together in list form that also tells the story of where things stand with the 17 pledges.

With the announcement by USC's new athletic director that Clay Helton is getting another year, the focus now rests squarely on the decision of Helton's offensive coordinator Graham Harrell, the former Texas Tech quarterback and state-champion from Ennis. It is my understanding that Texas has either offered Harrell the job and/or made sure that Harrell knows that the job is his if he wants it. Chip Brown is reporting that the potential package for Harrell would be roughly a guaranteed $2-million a year for three years.

The timing of any such decision by Harrell should be soon, as in by this weekend, or I would expect the two parties to have moved on. If Herman and Harrell move on, most would expect Herman to try to approach LSU's Joe Brady. Yet I am told that Brady would be more inclined to stick with LSU or perhaps even jump back to the NFL for a coordinator position in the league rather than change jobs in the college ranks. One point of note is that both USC and LSU can match dollars with Texas. So this is not a situation where either school would be outbid if an assistant wanted to stay put. Perhaps a program might disagree on the assistant's worth, but if they truly want to keep that assistant, the money will be there.

What happens if Tom Herman can't connect on either Harrell or Brady? That's a fair question and one that just may need answering by this time next week.

I am told that Herman is leaning on former Texas OC Greg Davis in an advisory role in the OC search process. That means if things go beyond Harrell and Brady, Davis will play an integral role in identifying other candidates.

As Chip has reported, I am told that "word on the street" is that Chris Ash is expected to be the next Texas defensive coordinator. At this point, I'm actually surprised that Herman has not already made such an announcement. Perhaps he's waiting until after the bowl where current safeties coach Craig Naivar is the acting DC to reveal it publicly.

My personal odds on new coordinators:

50-50 on Harrell (and we should know soon)

80-20 on Ash

I am told that Herman is leaning on former Texas OC Greg Davis in an advisory role in the OC search process. That means if things go beyond Harrell and Brady, Davis will play an integral role in identifying other candidates.

As Chip has reported, I am told that "word on the street" is that Chris Ash is expected to be the next Texas defensive coordinator. At this point, I'm actually surprised that Herman has not already made such an announcement. Perhaps he's waiting until after the bowl where current safeties coach Craig Naivar is the acting DC to reveal it publicly.

Quite the 1-2 gut punch there, Bobby.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Is this even after the news that Helton will be retained?

I felt certain if Helton was out we'd get Harrell. Not sure how to think about things if he's staying.

On the radio this morning he said that Helton being retained can change things but with all the negative reaction around the program, he thinks Harrell makes the move back to Texas.

Eric Nahlin: Graham Theft? 12/5/19

Everything I gather on the potential of Graham Harrell becoming UT's OC points to yesterday's meeting with Tom Herman being the key moment in the pursuit.

Yesterday I outlined the concessions he'd be looking for -- autonomy, being able to hire his guys, etc. He'd also be looking to get the right "feel" for Herman. There are some baseless rumors out there of Harrell having issues with Herman. Herman may not have the reputation of being the easiest guy to work for, but there's no in-person experience for Harrell to have an issue with Herman that we're aware of. Compared to good-guy Clay Helton, is Herman "hard" to work for? Maybe so but enough to keep Harrell from making the move? Doubtful.

I wish I'd heard of a handshake agreement to punctuate the meeting but I didn't. I heard the visit went well for both sides. If it went really, really well, then it was likely enough to tip the scales in UT's favor. Everything rides on Harrell's feeling for the situation post-meeting. For all I know he could mull this over for a day or two. I doubt UT is going to press him for an answer, though for recruiting purposes the sooner the better. The pursuit of Harrell is a good data point that Herman is committed to righting the ship at all costs, even if he has to cast aside his dogmatic beliefs in 11 personnel. The other positive data point was Herman being the driving force behind removing his good friend Todd Orlando.

Where Texas goes at defensive coordinator will be interesting to watch unfold. I think it has a ways to go. Most of our competition has penciled in Chris Ash for the job. That's understandable as it's widely assumed by some in Moncrief and in coaching gossip circles that Ash basically has the job already. I'm not so sure Ash being named is imminent. I've heard Ash is the floor of the search, not the ceiling. They have yet to truly explore the ceiling. We've heard they want to outfit Herman with coordinators the quality of LSU and they'll spend to do so. That would mean new names would emerge, or perhaps an old one like Morgan Scalley. It would mean they had a real process and so far it doesn't sound like they have.

Ash makes for a fine floor, akin to taking a low four-star early in the process to get the ball rolling, but is he the best option overall? I find it hard to believe they'll shoot for the moon on Harrell and then settle for the guy they know on defense who they can easily get. Signing Ash now would be akin to giving Herman an extension after the Sugar Bowl. Don't make that same mistake again. The Football Brainiacs posted there will be a DC interviewed today in Austin. I have yet to confirm that, but if true, I find the timing interesting. It almost assuredly wouldn't be a coach who has a game this weekend, and at least one, maybe two guys they like, do have big games this weekend.

Barry Odom was mentioned as a person of interest earlier in the week but he's set to take the Virginia Tech job, a job that Ash's name was also linked to. I've mentioned hearing they had interest in Jay Bateman dating back to when he was at Army but I have not heard that recently. That wouldn't really be the big name they're looking for. I have questions over his tactics, too. One name that would be interesting is Kevin Steele from Auburn. He operates a four-down, press quarters defense that perfectly suits the on-hand personnel. When he schemed LSU he showed he was adaptable to the Big 12. I wonder what he'd come up with if given a full off-season.

I'll be on the move a lot today but will post anything relevant that comes our way.

I've heard it mentioned twice now that Herman was behind getting rid of Orlando. Was Nahlin (or Nahlin's source) the source for both? I'm not remembering who the first person I heard say it was, because it was immediately drowned out by the sea of "Couldn't be true, everything Herman does is wrong" voices.

It would certainly put a different color on the whole scenario if it were true.

14 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I've heard it mentioned twice now that Herman was behind getting rid of Orlando. Was Nahlin (or Nahlin's source) the source for both? I'm not remembering who the first person I heard say it was, because it was immediately drowned out by the sea of "Couldn't be true, everything Herman does is wrong" voices.

It would certainly put a different color on the whole scenario if it were true.

Have you heard anything about getting rid of Washington? I can excuse Naviar since his unit was all kinds of banged up, but the corners were an abortion.