Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Could Traylor really get the Lamar job this early into his CFB career?  I know he can recruit ETX, but I only know of his recruiting chops, not coaching ones.

He could of gotten the Lamar job based off of his success at Gilmer.  Proving that he could recruit/evaluate at the college level should make him a shoo-in if he wants it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Have you heard anything about getting rid of Washington? I can excuse Naviar since his unit was all kinds of banged up, but the corners were an abortion. 

There won’t likely be any more coaching changes until the coordinators are in place. Those two need to be able to have say in who their assistants are.

Having said that, I would be very surprised if Washington gets retained. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

There won’t likely be any more coaching changes until the coordinators are in place. Those two need to be able to have say in who their assistants are.

I may be wrong - but wasn't Washington instrumental in turning around the Bijan recruitment? 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That would be most excellent. If it is Ash (I believe someone said was a DB coach), I would have a semblance of hope that our backfield can turn it around. I like Washington as a recruiter, but if that's all he's worth, gotta gut him. He's basically Clay Jennings with better recruiting skills, obviously. Appreciate your comment. 

46 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

A 4 down scheme perfectly suits our personnel? Really? Seriously? So not only have we not recruited the right personnel for our scheme but we ran a scheme that was suboptimal for our personnel? I find that comment hard to believe.

Do you really? Having watched what we saw all season you find it hard to believe that we didn't recruit to fit scheme and we didn't maximize the players on campus? I mean, I literally don't see ANY other explanation for what we witnessed on defense this season. Will dropping Joseph Ossai into coverage on a slot receiver one more time convince you?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Will dropping Joseph Ossai into coverage on a slot receiver one more time convince you?

All that convinces me of is that Todd Orlando was perfectly capable without any chemical influence at all of making decisions so stupid that I wouldn't even have made them in the midst of a psilocybe-soaked bender of epic proportion. I halfway expected to see Coburn in coverage at one point.

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Could Traylor really get the Lamar job this early into his CFB career?  I know he can recruit ETX, but I only know of his recruiting chops, not coaching ones.

Players at SMU wanted Traylor for Head Coach when Morris went to Arky...

Traylor would be a good candidate for UTSA if they would consider him.  Lamar is a trash job.

-247 notes from Roach

Texas coaches are still on the road trying to lock down the class. It looks like several new targets could possibly be emerging in the next few weeks. A name I’ve heard a lot is Henderson’s Caleb Medford. The 6-foot-3, 190-pound athlete is committed to TCU, but Texas evaluated him earlier in the year. In speaking with Medford and those close to him, there hasn’t been any real contact between the Longhorns and Medford, but if there were, I believe Medford would be interested. He might possibly be a guy to look at if Quentin Johnston goes elsewhere, but for now, it doesn’t sound like there’s much there.

—Another prospect I’ve heard a lot about is Covington (La.) outside linebacker Edgerrin Cooper. The former Oklahoma commit confirmed with me that Texas reached out but it sounds like they may be a bit too late. I spoke with sources near Cooper today and was told they would be very surprised if Texas could get into this race. Mississippi State and LSU are the two most likely landing spots for him, and Mississippi State was one of the first schools to offer him. We’ll keep an eye on things, but I don’t expect it go anywhere.

—I continue to hear that Texas sits in a good position with Kelvontay Dixon. Houston has entered the picture recently, but I expect Dixon to end up in Austin if they push for him over the next two months.

—Texas is making IMG Academy LB Jaqwondis Burns a priority, and it sounds like the Longhorns are battling Utah for his services. Utah might be the more enticing spot for him, but I continue to hear that his family would prefer for him to stay close to his native home of Dallas. One hurdle for Texas will be the defensive coordinator hire. Todd Orlando was the primary coach who identified and recruited Burns, and the Longhorns will need to make up for that.

—Texas tried their hand at the grad transfer market over the last few years, and they found some success with Parker Braun and Calvin Anderson. It sounds like Texas is possibly looking at another grad transfer Herb Hand is familiar with. I’ve learned that the Longhorns are looking into Tennessee graduate transfer offensive lineman Ryan Johnson. Keith Niebuhr from our Auburn Undercover site also spoke with sources who indicated both Auburn and Texas were interested. We’ll follow up on this to learn more.

• Like 2

Regarding Dixon, the bottom line is that he's getting good advice from his coach. He's not going to commit until he's convinced that Texas is putting the right guys on the staff and will field a team that doesn't look like a boring pack of buffoons on any given Saturday. The state of Texas has a large population of well-educated coaches in the HS ranks, and they know shit when they see it on the field. Surratt is no dummy.

The good-ish news, I guess, is that ATM isn't blowing anyone away right now either. You've the stench of flop sweat pouring out of the TCU program. LSU's prowess is questionable if Brady doesn't stick. Arkansas is a dumpster fire. So, yeah, OU and Baylor can't take everybody and a lot of these guys don't want to leave the region. Herman needs to make some good hires and get it done quickly.

• Like 3

For Dark Mode Users...

-247 notes from Roach

Texas coaches are still on the road trying to lock down the class. It looks like several new targets could possibly be emerging in the next few weeks. A name I’ve heard a lot is Henderson’s Caleb Medford. The 6-foot-3, 190-pound athlete is committed to TCU, but Texas evaluated him earlier in the year. In speaking with Medford and those close to him, there hasn’t been any real contact between the Longhorns and Medford, but if there were, I believe Medford would be interested. He might possibly be a guy to look at if Quentin Johnston goes elsewhere, but for now, it doesn’t sound like there’s much there.

—Another prospect I’ve heard a lot about is Covington (La.) outside linebacker Edgerrin Cooper. The former Oklahoma commit confirmed with me that Texas reached out but it sounds like they may be a bit too late. I spoke with sources near Cooper today and was told they would be very surprised if Texas could get into this race. Mississippi State and LSU are the two most likely landing spots for him, and Mississippi State was one of the first schools to offer him. We’ll keep an eye on things, but I don’t expect it go anywhere.

—I continue to hear that Texas sits in a good position with Kelvontay Dixon. Houston has entered the picture recently, but I expect Dixon to end up in Austin if they push for him over the next two months.

—Texas is making IMG Academy LB Jaqwondis Burns a priority, and it sounds like the Longhorns are battling Utah for his services. Utah might be the more enticing spot for him, but I continue to hear that his family would prefer for him to stay close to his native home of Dallas. One hurdle for Texas will be the defensive coordinator hire. Todd Orlando was the primary coach who identified and recruited Burns, and the Longhorns will need to make up for that.

—Texas tried their hand at the grad transfer market over the last few years, and they found some success with Parker Braun and Calvin Anderson. It sounds like Texas is possibly looking at another grad transfer Herb Hand is familiar with. I’ve learned that the Longhorns are looking into Tennessee graduate transfer offensive lineman Ryan Johnson. Keith Niebuhr from our Auburn Undercover site also spoke with sources who indicated both Auburn and Texas were interested. We’ll follow up on this to learn more.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Fillinger was one thing, but if we lose 2 recruits from DFW to Utah (Jordan and Burns), Herman should be fired on the spot.  

Lol

Apparently I need to recalibrate my understanding of fireable offenses...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yeah, we're talking Lamar here, not Sam Houston. I'm pretty sure I could get a 2nd interview for the Lamar job.

Cool, do you need a DC, and does it pay more than $3.50?

Maybe give Sushi a look at OC and we can go fuck up an aggy season if we don't get fired before they play again.  

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Where-to-find-Texas-commits-in-action-playoffs-this-week-139885247/

Where to find Texas commits in playoffs this week

By MIKE ROACH        17 hours ago

Playoff action is heating up with round 4 in Texas this week, and Longhorn commits will be continuing their journey towards a championship. Out of the 24 commits between the 2020 and 2021 classes, six are still alive in the post-season. As we reach the regional final stage, the field is starting to narrow. Let's take a look at where you can find Texas commits in action this week.

ATH Ja'Quinden Jackson, Duncanville - The Panthers had no problem dispatching of Arlington Martin in a 45-17 blowout to advance to the regional final. Jackson leads the Panthers in both passing (89/150, 1440 yards, 18 touchdowns) and rushing (811 yards, 10.67 yards per carry, 12 touchdowns) on the year. Duncanville will face their toughest test of the season this week against Southlake Carroll at McKinney ISD Stadium on Saturday at 2:30 PM.

OL Jake Majors, Prosper - The Eagles are one of the teams nobody is talking about in-state, and they took another big step with a blowout over The Woodlands last week to advance to the regional final. Jake Majors is helping to lead the way for a devestating offensive attack that can attack in a number of ways. Prosper is set to face Rockwall in the regional final at The Ford Center at The Star in Frisco on Saturday at 6PM.

OL Andrej Karic, Southlake Carroll - The Dragons continued to roll with a 49-27 win over Midland Lee last week.  They'll be back in the metroplex this week for one of the most anticipated matchups of the season when they face Duncanville at McKinney ISD Stadium on Saturday at 2:30 PM.

ATH Billy Bowman and ATH Ja'Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan - The Raiders just keep rolling along following a 58-20 victory over Abilene Cooper last week. Bowman leads Ryan in receiving with 42 receptions for 742 yards and 15 touchdowns. Sanders has been a terror on both sides of the ball, and Ryan appears to be the favorite in their class. They'll try to take the next step in a district re-match against Colleyville Heritage at the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco on Saturday at 2:30 PM.

OL Hayden Conner Katy Taylor - The Mustangs are one of the most surprising teams still in the playoffs after finishing fourth in their district and barely getting in. Taylor is now rolling as they reach the regional final, but they'll have to dispatch of Cypress Creek at Houston's NRG Stadium on Saturday at 2PM.

Edited by LTtxfan

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Need a little more Hope??  This tweet spotted by @utexas8

When I spoke to his dad back in August, I got the feeling that he was enamored with UT.  Coach Samples (Reggie) lit up when mentioning Michelle Herman’s tweet about Rashad making a return to the 40 acres.  Granted, that’s been a while now.

Edited by cochamps

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Need a little more Hope??  This tweet spotted by @utexas8

okay, fuck it.  Let's do this. 

Projected 2020 offensive staff:

• OC/QB:  Graham Harrel
  • OWR/WR?: Rashaad Samples
  • IWR?  TE?:  Jeff Traylor
  • RB:  Stan Drayton
  • OL:  Herb Hand

Projected 2020 defensive staff:

• DC/Safeties: Chris Ash
  • CB:  Duane Akina
  • LBs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DE:  Oscar Giles
  • Special Teams Coordinator/DT coach:  Craig Naivar (joking/not joking, per his resume)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

okay, fuck it.  Let's do this. 

Projected 2020 offensive staff:

• OC/QB:  Graham Harrel
  • OWR/WR?: Rashaad Samples
  • IWR?  TE?:  Jeff Traylor
  • RB:  Stan Drayton
  • OL:  Herb Hand

Projected 2020 defensive staff:

• DC/Safeties: Chris Ash
  • CB:  Duane Akina
  • LBs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DE:  Oscar Giles
  • Special Teams Coordinator/DT coach:  Craig Naivar (joking/not joking, per his resume)

DT-Frank Okam