Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We just never chased him until like the season had already started and he'd been a tOSU commit for months.

You might notice that our whole offensive staff except for Hand and (mystifyingly) Warehime has been fired or demoted, so, yeah.

I’m not sure losing a stud player to tOSU when Texas  has been shit for years, they’re a perennial playoff contender, and have been successfully raiding Texas for the last 5-8 years or so qualifies as a fireable offense. Anymore than losing another stud 5* WR to them from the Austin area was a fireable offense. 

But losing THIS guy, well fuck, that’s a bridge too far! At some point we need to fucking win. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure losing a stud player to tOSU when Texas  has been shit for years, they’re a perennial playoff contender, and have been successfully raiding Texas for the last 5-8 years or so qualifies as a fireable offense. Anymore than losing another stud 5* WR to them from the Austin area was a fireable offense. 

But losing THIS guy, well fuck, that’s a bridge too far! At some point we need to fucking win. 

Oh I agree generally, but for a staff that's generally really good at early evals, it was a very strange recruitment - we ignored him for so long after it was obvious he was awesome.

10 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Maybe it’s because my buddy’s son plays for Rockwall and I’m following their playoff run but did Texas just never have a shot at that WR who is going to fucking Ohio State?

Losing that kid to OSU should have been enough to fire the offensive staff. 

- I remember it being said about some recruit that he really wanted to go out of state;  don't remember for sure whether it was this guy or someone else.

- If it wasn't this guy, then it was a spectacular early eval by tOSU.  At least after he was offered by tOSU, not sure why we wouldn't have taken a close look and quickly offered/recruited. 

- I'm assumed we looked at some point ... did we simply not do a good eval?  Decided not to offer for other reasons?  Or think there was no point in offering/pursuing?  Questions only the Surl can answer ... 

13 hours ago, Getafix said:

Wiltfong / 247 / Some Texas RB recruiting buzz

Hide contents

Flipped my 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast from Texas to Utah for Longhorns commit Ty Jordan. He took an official to see the Utes the weekend of Nov. 29 and after it looked like the in-state program would still hold on, sources indicate the Pac 12 program is in good shape for a flip.

With that being said, Tom Herman and his staff have continued to recruit other running backs. A name to keep an eye on moving forward is Lancaster (Texas) High Top247 running back Kevontre Bradford. Texas went and saw him on Tuesday, and Bradford isn't expected to sign until February.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite tabs Bradford as the nation's No. 14 running back and No. 136 prospect overall. 247Sports National Analyst Gabe Brooks compares Bradford's game to Longhorns running back Keaontay Ingram.

"Big-play running back with adequate height and frame for the position. Lean and muscular with enough space to add weight in college and play in the 210-215 range. Capable of playing running back, receiver, or safety at Power Five level, but projects best to RB. Slashing galloper who hits the hole with purpose, whether downhill or on the cutback. Dangerous in the stretch game. Impressive stop-start burst for a long-strider with somewhat longer frame. Flashes great acceleration off stops. Good top-end speed thanks to initial burst and long-striding speed-building. Flashes home run-hitting ability against strong high school competition. Athleticism not verified in combine testing environment. Upright runner who can improve pad level. Limited pass-catching opportunities to date. High-major running back prospect with big-play and high-volume capabilities. Should become a quality P5 starter with long-term NFL Draft ceiling."

This fall Bradford rushed for 1,563 yards and 23 touchdowns.

Of course Texas has arguably the top running back in this class Bijan Robinson committed. Pairing a guy like Bradford with him would give the Longhorns arguably the best duo anywhere in the country this cycle.

Unfortunate about Ty Jordan. Hope we can find another back that can run a telegraphed inside zone play right into 5 defenders. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Unfortunate about Ty Jordan. Hope we can find another back that can run a telegraphed inside zone play right into 5 defenders. 

We have one.  His name is Sam Ehlinger, and the term for him in the Hermbeckhandringer offense is "quarterback."

On Cain, I’ve never passed this on because of all the noise about his recruitment, but fuck it. He calls the morning of signing day and he thinks he’s ready to sign with Texas. Herman gets into a semantics argument with him about the word “thinks” and what it implies about commitment. Cain goes to school and signs with Penn State. Texas is shocked and cues up the podium story. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Fud said:

I read this a lot, and I don't necessarily disagree with it, but specifically who are the RB coaches across the countries who make it rain recruits across various positions? It seems like the recruiting position is actually the TE and second DL coaching spots than RB. It seems like most highly regarded RB coaches are just good at landing RBs. 

I do agree that Drayton could help out more.

Major?

• Like 1

Dec 11th

The State of Recruiting Podcast:  The Runway to Signing Day

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-state-of-recruiting-the-runway-to-signing-day/id1478796829?i=1000459318035

The State of Recruiting is a podcast about recruiting in the State of Texas. Host Bobby Burton is one of the Recruiting industry's founding fathers, and co-host Mike Roach travels across the hundred acres every week, covering the biggest and best prospects in Texas.

This week, Mike and Bobby discuss the runway to signing day, which commits will sign early, and they perform their weekly check on the stability of the class.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I wouldn't put Cain on Drayton. It was Herman that told Cain if he was torn between Texas and Penn State, go to Penn State. He did, but he was going to pick Texas heading up to the podium.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On Cain, I’ve never passed this on because of all the noise about his recruitment, but fuck it. He calls the morning of signing day and he thinks he’s ready to sign with Texas. Herman gets into a semantics argument with him about the word “thinks” and what it implies about commitment. Cain goes to school and signs with Penn State. Texas is shocked and cues up the podium story. 

va5uwg1.gif

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

tom herman cares deeply about diction.

On State of Recruiting Podcast. (See link in previously note ...  4 posts above)

Roach says Ty Jordan has not reported anything to him yet about going to Utah...  But says that Utah has had a lot more contact and enthusiasm toward Ty in the last few weeks than Texas...

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I wouldn't put Cain on Drayton. It was Herman that told Cain if he was torn between Texas and Penn State, go to Penn State. He did, but he was going to pick Texas heading up to the podium.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

That level of arrogance is almost unfathomable to me. That is all-time stupid. 

It does explain EJ’s NSD take though.

3 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Not sure but you can get major burns by spending a couple nights in Baton Rouge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fud said:

I read this a lot, and I don't necessarily disagree with it, but specifically who are the RB coaches across the countries who make it rain recruits across various positions?

Hell three of the dudes that were RB coach here in the years before Drayton certainly had a bigger recruiting impact ... 

Jeff Traylor
Major Applewhite
even fucking Tommie Robinson

I'm too lazy to look up RB coaches as recruiters and do a comparative analysis to other coaching spots, but the RB should absolutely be on of your most dynamic and capable recruiters. Off the top of my head there's a lot of guys that have been/are like that... 

Dell McGee
Frank Wilson
Billy Sexton
Trooper Taylor
Burton Burns
Derrick Nix
Tim Horton
Tony Alford
Curtis Luper
Tony Elliot
Charles Huff
Jay Boulware

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

4i Princely attempting to discredit Javonne Shepherd's misalignment. Feels like he might be testing the waters to get back into the class as the tweet he's responding to is from October and he calls aggy liars. Also, someone go respond with the volleyball gif

yeah he's looking to jump back on the train now that we don't have a DC.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

yeah he's looking to jump back on the train now that we don't have a DC.

His biggest issue was always the 3 man line. If Texas says it will be a 4 down line with a new DC, that quells a concern he had before he committed.

I don't think he's a world beater by any stretch, but if a Manor kid wants to repair those bridges, I think that's positive. 

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

His biggest issue was always the 3 man line. If Texas says it will be a 4 down line with a new DC, that quells a concern he had before he committed.

I don't think he's a world beater by any stretch, but if a Manor kid wants to repair those bridges, I think that's positive. 

he wasn't happy with TO's 3 man front but is leaning towards Baylor's?  Odom can come and return to his 3 man front, and the kid will choose Texas in a week still

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't think it was a 3 man line, as much as the way we deployed the 3 man line. Their main job was to occupy blockers so that everyone else on the defense could make plays. Baylor's 3 man front wrecked havoc. When Texas played 5 technique against Tech, the DE's wrecked havoc.

46 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

4i Princely attempting to discredit Javonne Shepherd's misalignment. Feels like he might be testing the waters to get back into the class as the tweet he's responding to is from October and he calls aggy liars. Also, someone go respond with the volleyball gif

For the uncultured among us

On 10/24/2019 at 12:07 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

And then this.

On OL Javonne Shepherd...24/7 mentioned there's no chance of him returning and his locker has been cleaned out.

He's had a few run-ins with teammates since arriving on campus, and supposedly told DE Princely Umanmielen that he shouldn't sign with Texas.