Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I think Boyd is missing the forest for the trees in comparing Orlando and Ash for precisely this reason.  There are giant differences in the schemes even if they both use quarters coverage a lot.  Quarters coverage is the least idiotic thing about Orlando’s scheme.  

And I would also note that Ash used press quarters coverage, whereas we spent most of the season playing way off in coverage and never jamming anyone until after KSU’s QB set career passing marks in only 1 and 1/2 quarters against us.  Even just limiting the discussion to coverage and ignoring the other stuff - like literally not lining up with edge defenders and blitzing two guys out of the play every down - that’s still a material difference in coverage alone.

He seems to have convinced himself that the inverted Tampa 2 is somehow the only coverage that works against spread offenses.  Whatever.  There were four good defenses in the league this year.  ISU and Baylor run the inverted Tampa 2.  TCU and OU don’t.  Football is not as inflexible as he thinks it is.  

If anything, teams with speed and talent advantages like Texas and OU might be better off playing a base read and react defense that does a little more at the line of scrimmage rather than relying on dropping 8 guys all the time.  Boyd kind of just writes off how Ohio State made it work because they had the one-on-one talent advantage - well, yeah, but that would be us, too, if we didn’t have a clown coaching our defenders to fail.   Our plethora of big, athletic safeties could fill the LB and Nickel spots pretty nicely in that scheme.

Lulz. Oklahoma was not one of four good defenses in the league this year. They finished behind even OSU and Texas in FEI. Baylor was 5th, TCU 27th, then ISU 41st. After that OSU, UT and OU all come in around 60th. 

Patterson is a Wizard and he mixes up his coverages and confuses QBs better than just about anyone on defense. His defensive process isn’t very repeatable and comparing him and Ash from a scheme/playcalling standpoint is laughable. What Baylor and ISU did with far inferior personnel is extremely impressive and it’s pretty obvious their scheme is superior at this point. That may change in the future as teams adapt, but for now it’s the reality. 

Ash runs a far simpler scheme that relies heavily on talent we don’t have. Almost every single starter and even some backups on that tOSU defense were drafted and most in the first 3 or 4 rounds. You can get away with a lot with that kind of talent. Texas would not have anywhere near that kind of talent advantage. 

I’m not saying Ash would be as bad as Orlando but there’s very clear reasons to think Ash would struggle at Texas and that he shouldn’t be very high up on the list of candidates. 

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not saying Ash would be as bad as Orlando but there’s very clear reasons to think Ash would struggle at Texas and that he shouldn’t be very high up on the list of candidates. 

And for personal and selfish reasons, one of those points is that I'm tired of having a meathead defensive coordinator who looks like he's fantasizing about duct taping together the hairy ass cheeks of the band members and/or ripping down the fences of his neighbors. 

ChrisAsh_2016_8_1.jpg?itok=xwoQBZXf

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Oklahoma gave up 5.3 yards per play in conference games (2nd best mark in the league behind Baylor).  Texas gave up 6.3 yards per play in conference games, which was 7th in the conference.  So, lulz indeed at whatever nonsense FEI shat out to come up with those rankings.  

0d683206-1fe8-4e11-8556-85b1c1df6f80.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

And for personal and selfish reasons, one of those points is that I'm tired of having a meathead defensive coordinator who looks like he's fantasizing about duct taping together the hairy ass cheeks of the band members and/or ripping down the fences of his neighbors. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

What’s the difference between athletes and normal students as far as admission requirements?  There’s so much wrong with that sentence lol.   Pretty sure every normal person that gets in knows the difference between there and their...   Real question cause it’s has to be a huge difference. 

• Fuck You 19

Just now, Hook1997 said:

What’s the difference between athletes and normal students as far as admission requirements?  There’s so much wrong with that sentence lol.   Pretty sure every normal person that gets in knows the difference between there and their...   Real question cause it’s has to be a huge difference. 

Because most of these kids write the same way on social media and school assignments?

11 minutes ago, Nope said:

Because most of these kids write the same way on social media and school assignments?

It’s there and their it’s not slang....   Are we going to act like all our football players are smart now?   Lol.   We know all schools do it, good lord let’s not put blinders on everything.  I legit don’t know where the difference is at all schools, we all know that they all do it.  I just wonder where the bar is set actually.  You negg reppers are amazing, come the fuck on lol. 

Edited by Hook1997

14 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

It’s there and their it’s not slang....   Are we going to act like all our football players are smart now?   Lol.   We know all schools do it, good lord let’s not put blinders on everything.  I legit don’t know where the difference is at all schools, we all know that they all do it.  I just wonder where the bar is set actually.  You negg reppers are amazing, come the fuck on lol. 

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Don’t see the point you’re making their 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hook1997 ontinues his amazing streak of making friends and throwing down quality posts. 

It’s continues sir!  I was just seriously wondering but no one cares to reply to that.  Every school does it I don’t get the hate it’s isn’t like this is a secret at any school.  Wtf

Edited by Hook1997
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Much in the same way that art majors aren't expected to practice mathematics at a high level, football players are recruited to the university for a different skill set. It's not as if admissions simply looks the other way when considering the applications of football players. Perhaps this would be an issue a millennium ago, but the realistic purpose of universities today is to ensure that they educate individuals who will have an opportunity to impact the world positively, with the hope that this improves the university's reputation down the line. Football players have a much greater chance to do so compared to the average student, so why shouldn't the university admit them on a different basis? 

In addition, this entirely ignores the mental skills necessary to play dominant football at a high level. It's not as if elite safeties, for instance, are simply standing there and waiting for the guy with the ball to run toward them. The extent to which football is a mental game means that these guys, at the very least, must have a high-level understanding of the game to be successful. 

SIAP

Bobby Burton: Friday

As we approach the early signing period next week, there will be myriad ways people (including myself) try to dissect this class. One of my favorite ways of doing so is always trying to point out that recruiting rankings are an inexact science, no different than the NFL draft to some degree. For just about every five star or first rounder, there’s a Tom Brady that’s taken in the sixth. This isn’t a lesson about how rankings are meaningless because I think they actually are on a general scale. Instead, it’s about pointing out that people too often discount the players who aren’t at the top of the recruiting ladder, most especially the ones perceived to be at the bottom. Below are the three lowest rated recruits in the previous five Texas recruiting classes:

TE Jared Wiley

OL Willie Tyler

LB Juwan Mitchell

OL Christian Jones

P Ryan Bujcevski

K Cameron Dicker

DL/TE Rob Cummins

DL Jamari Chisholm

K Josh Rowland

DB Donovan Duvernay

TE Peyton Aucoin

OL Zach Shackelford

LB/DE Breckyn Hager

OL Tristan Nickelson

P Michael Dickson

As you’ll see, in every single instance except for 2017, Texas had players ranked at the bottom of the class who ended up multiple year starters. Even just from the 2019 class, two starters emerged later in the season in Wiley and Mitchell. Keep in mind, the 2019 class is the highest ranked recruiting class for the Horns this decade. Yet two of the three top performers emerged from the back end of the class. In previous years, Texas also nabbed a national award winner in Dickson, an All-Conference lineman in Shackelford, a face of the program in Hager and OU-game hero Dicker. This year’s current bottom three are:

OL, Andrej Karic, 6-5, 270, Southlake Carroll

ATH, Jaden Hullaby, 6-2, 205, Mansfield Timberview

WR, Dajon Harrison, 5-10, 170, Hutto

I’d suggest all three have the potential to eventually contribute heavily to the Horns. Of the three, I particularly like Hullaby as an outlier. Nobody seems to know exactly what position he will play. Is he a TE, an H-back, a big running back or even a rush linebacker? That sort of versatility is rare. And it’s also telling. He kind of reminds me of Jason Hall, the former South Grand Prairie safety who everyone thought was too slow to stick at safety yet started four years for the Longhorns, despite being one of the lowest rated players in his own recruiting class.

In Karic, Texas is getting a lineman that is somewhat raw. He should be able to fill out to the 300-pound range in a couple of years. He’s not the quickest-footed lineman Texas will sign, but he may be the meanest on the field. Harrison is perhaps easiest for some to dismiss. He’s from CenTex, a local product with not a lot of national appeal among the other bigger receivers, like Quentin Johnston and Troy Omeire. But about a decade ago, there was another Hutto receiver, Jeremy Kerley, who ended up making it big.

Harrison reminds me more of another CenTex product. He’s similar to a Billy Pittman-type receiver with a lot more wiggle. Pittman had a solid career with the Horns, including a big TD against OU and a chain-mover on the final drive against USC for the national championship. So as we go into next week, and we hear the names like Bijan Robinson, Ja’Quinden Jackson and more, remember that the odds are that the ones who are overlooked will still contribute to the team and somehow etch their name into Longhorn lore.

Where am I at on the coordinator hires? I began with 50-50 odds on Graham Harrell verses the field. Perhaps I’m moving more to the less than 50-percent range, say 40-60. At the same time, I feel like it’s becoming more and more likely that Chris Ash will be the Horns’ next DC. I’d move those odds up to 90-10.

247 / Blair Angulo / Bijan Robinson

Spoiler

Though there were some advances from other suitors this week, particularly an eyebrow-raising trip by USC staffers to Tucson to meet with five-star running back Bijan Robinson, he's all set to sign with the Longhorns on Wednesday.

Ohio State also never gave up and has continued its chase, but Robinson remains firm with his commitment.

"Bijan is 100 percent Texas," former Salpointe Catholic head coach Dennis Bene tells 247Sports.

i love lucy sigh GIF

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

247 / Blair Angulo / Bijan Robinson

Hide contents

Though there were some advances from other suitors this week, particularly an eyebrow-raising trip by USC staffers to Tucson to meet with five-star running back Bijan Robinson, he's all set to sign with the Longhorns on Wednesday.

Ohio State also never gave up and has continued its chase, but Robinson remains firm with his commitment.

"Bijan is 100 percent Texas," former Salpointe Catholic head coach Dennis Bene tells 247Sports.

i love lucy sigh GIF

What did we ever do to deserve Bijan? 

6 hours ago, Fud said:

I’ll go 67%

Thanks. Locking up Johnston and Collins are the key to making this a top class. 

On one hand, with all his UT connections you’d think if he was gonna commit he already would have months ago. But, at the same time he’s visited multiple top programs without a lot of emotional ups and downs leaking out. Seems to be a level headed kid. We’ll see. 

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I haven’t dined like a hobo in years, but some of the lower tier steakhouses like Perry’s and Capital Grille offered sponsored  wine lockers/cabinets back in the day. 

Capital Grille. You might as well be eating a hot dog from a street vendor. They probably try to sell you a fake nice wine like Decoy or something too. 

I hate Perry's and only my wife's hated of them can top it. But I've had a lot of good food and service at CG at the Town & Country location. It's solid.

And i know the TFertita is hated by everyone but the Brenner's Steakhouse on I-10 provides good food and service. Much less a business reservation than CG, but it's been really good when my wife and I go.