Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Do you really think Roschon sticks at RB? I don't think so. There will be enough horses in the stable with Ingram, Robinson, and at least one more back recruited during this cycle.

Roschon is a proven commodity at RB who has shown no ball security issues. Can’t take that for granted, the others will need to earn it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Richter said:

I don’t know... you could say the same about the QB room and he’s pretty good at RB so far...

Think he definitely sticks at RB with the Yurcich hire, assuming Herman gives him any real autonomy to run the offense, which I think he will.  Just don't think RJs passing skills are to the level Yurcich will want and he's already a beast in the making at RB.  Having a rotation of Ingram, RJ and Bijan at RB with a pipeline of C. Thompson, JQJ, Card and Milroe at QB we're in really good shape at both positions.  And that doesn't factor in Whittington who could stick at RB, move to the slot, etc.  This offense has immense potential next year if we can get the play-calling right.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Roschon is far more valuable as a RB than a bench warming QB. And our RB depth is pretty shallow without him. It seems more likely that he stays at RB and Whittington moves back to WR or a hybrid role. 

Depends on where he is on the depth chart. 

If he's better than Casey then he is more valuable backing up Sam.  

• Like 1

Roschon probably gets the offseason to sink or swim at QB. There's a chance that it's self evident that he's far behind both Casey and Card, and decides to move back to RB. It's also possible that he works on his mechanics and is able to spin the ball better, and shows enough promise there to stick with it, redshirt, and compete for 2021. He'd be even more effective as a runner from the QB position than he is as a RB. I'm skeptical that he'll show enough promise passing the ball to beat out probably Card but maybe Casey in 2021, but it's worth exploring. 

Both Roschon and Whittington would be great in the two-back sets we've seen Gundy/Yurcich run. Whittington would in particular be dangerous there, since he can split out and be a credible threat from the slot our outside WR spot; you can go no hudl and change personnel groups with him, and if he can stay healthy and also be a decent blocker, that could be a tough package for teams to deal with. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Roschon struggled with routine passes against air. He needs a lot of work on his mechanics. I think it's plausible for him to win the 2021 job if he gets a big leap forward in his passing ability, but I don't really see him passing up Casey for the 2020 backup spot. 

28 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Just now, Fud said:

Roschon struggled with routine passes against air. He needs a lot of work on his mechanics. I think it's plausible for him to win the 2021 job if he gets a big leap forward in his passing ability, but I don't really see him passing up Casey for the 2020 backup spot. 

Yeah, there is no question Roschon won’t be better than Casey in 2020. The real question is if you take him away from playing RB next year to give him the reps and development time he needs so he can be compete at QB in 2021, or do you keep him at RB where you know he’s good already and which is likely his best position in the NFL.

25 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

He's not.

We are lucky in that we were able to secure both JQJ and Card in this class, because one won't play QB on the 40 (doesn't matter which). We were also fortunate to see Sam so healthy all year.

If Sam goes down next season, we'll have Casey whom I think is absolutely ready and will be able to execute the offense. After Casey we have two true freshman and a sophomore running back who used to play qb. They'll need to think about the future of that room and probably take a late riser in 2021. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, there is no question Roschon won’t be better than Casey in 2020. The real question is if you take him away from playing RB next year to give him the reps and development time he needs so he can be compete at QB in 2021, or do you keep him at RB where you know he’s good already and which is likely his best position in the NFL.

You probably let him play QB in the spring/summer, and him throwing next to Ehlinger, Card, and Thompson for eight or nine months will likely show him how far behind he is, and he'll probably eventually volunteer to move. Unless he gets his mechanics figured out and starts spinning it better, where then it would be worth it for the program to keep him at QB. 

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

Hopefully the new coaches figure it out PDQ. 

I just hope the backup QB next year gets some game time.  

Looks like there will be good talent but no experience backing up Sam. 

I agree with Fud. I’m extremely excited by the prospect of Whittingham being a legitimate rb and wr dual threat player. The options on matchups and personnel packages are off the charts for a guy who might be elite at both positions. I’d hate to just leave him back to wr, almost as much as I’d hate to leave him at rb and not utilize his extremely rare position flexibility. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree with Fud. I’m extremely excited by the prospect of Whittingham being a legitimate rb and wr dual threat player. The options on matchups and personnel packages are off the charts for a guy who might be elite at both positions. I’d hate to just leave him back to wr, almost as much as I’d hate to leave him at rb and not utilize his extremely rare position flexibility. 

Kyle Whittingham? He’s got eligibility and he’s coming here? That is a fucking masterpiece of recruiting. Coach on the field never made better sense. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He's not.

We are lucky in that we were able to secure both JQJ and Card in this class, because one won't play QB on the 40 (doesn't matter which). We were also fortunate to see Sam so healthy all year.

If Sam goes down next season, we'll have Casey whom I think is absolutely ready and will be able to execute the offense. After Casey we have two true freshman and a sophomore running back who used to play qb. They'll need to think about the future of that room and probably take a late riser in 2021. 

I’m not sure what you’ve seen to make you think Casey is “absolutely ready.” He has almost no film except some spring games because he didn’t even get garbage time worth noting this year or last. I realize we see other programs plug and play guys all the damn time and have success at qb, but I’m still a bit jaded that’s going to happen here. 

Was it LotusHorn that insisted Thompson was better then Ehlinger right now? I cant think of a better data point to be extremely hesitant that Thompson is ready to tie his own shoes. No offense to Thompson. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure what you’ve seen to make you think Casey is “absolutely ready.” He has almost no film except some spring games because he didn’t even get garbage time worth noting this year or last. I realize we see other programs plug and play guys all the damn time and have success at qb, but I’m still a bit jaded that’s going to happen here. 

Was it LotusHorn that insisted Thompson was better then Ehlinger right now? I cant think of a better data point to be extremely hesitant that Thompson is ready to tie his own shoes. No offense to Thompson. 

Are you insinuating Lotus Horn doesnt know what hes talking about...

200.gif

Edited by RGBIII
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

But yes, Lotushorn not only said Casey was better than Sam but that it will be an open competition this offseason with Herman favoring Casey to win it...

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Reading through the 247 all American practices threads, I wouldn't be surprised if they have JSN as the #1 prospect in the state in the end 

That’s just Drew Mehringer kicking his size 7 Vans up our collective asshole one more time on the way out the door. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I forget which year, but Yurcich used a diamond formation at OSU when they had a lot of good RBs but not much at receiver/TE. If there’s one aspect that is able to be nailed down about Yurcich’s offense, I’d say it’s that he’s extremely inventive in getting his best players the ball, no matter their position or fit. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s just Drew Mehringer kicking his size 7 Vans up our collective asshole one more time on the way out the door. 

Drew Mehringer eats pizza with a fork and thinks Hudson Card has giant hands. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

Reading through the 247 all American practices threads, I wouldn't be surprised if they have JSN as the #1 prospect in the state in the end 

When I saw him vs Allen, that was sure my thought.  I saw Mims several times at Lone Star over the last 3 years, and he is good.  JSN is other worldly.

Edited by cochamps

If Roschon wants to make millions playing football, he needs to stick with RB. Dude is an animal. The QB position will be fine.

As for the Josh Moore conversation, it appears that he has served his time and will be back next year. He certainly seems like he is still invested. Seems like only a jail sentence will prevent that.

Any recruit updates from the all star games?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

You probably let him play QB in the spring/summer, and him throwing next to Ehlinger, Card, and Thompson for eight or nine months will likely show him how far behind he is, and he'll probably eventually volunteer to move. Unless he gets his mechanics figured out and starts spinning it better, where then it would be worth it for the program to keep him at QB. 

Yeah, I’ll be curious to see where he’s at throwing if he focuses on that all the way through summer ball. If he makes big strides, it’ll be a tough choice for him and the coaches. But I do think he’ll choose at some point to stick at RB. 

Yurcich has been pretty damn good working with QBs. I like the prospect of him being the one to help RoJo develop so much more  than Beck.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I’ll be curious to see where he’s at throwing if he focuses on that all the way through summer ball. If he makes big strides, it’ll be a tough choice for him and the coaches. But I do think he’ll choose at some point to stick at RB. 

Yurcich has been pretty damn good working with QBs. I like the prospect of him being the one to help RoJo develop so much more  than Beck.

Hopefully Yurcich actually taps into the positional flexibility we have on offense next season.  Roschon and Whittington are two pieces that a creative OC could do a whole hell of a lot with.  Roschon may not be the full-time future answer at QB, but I feel like his passing skills are surely something we should be able to utilize at some point.   

22 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

If Roschon wants to make millions playing football, he needs to stick with RB. Dude is an animal. The QB position will be fine.

As for the Josh Moore conversation, it appears that he has served his time and will be back next year. He certainly seems like he is still invested. Seems like only a jail sentence will prevent that.

Any recruit updates from the all star games?

Good to hear about Josh Moore - better option than Eagles and Epps. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Was it LotusHorn that insisted Thompson was better then Ehlinger right now?

Yes, and that's fair. I'm only going on practice updates.

1 hour ago, Sock Monkey said:

IT has said up to last week that they do not see Josh making it back. They're waiting for the legal to play out, but he's not likely to make a return.

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT has said up to last week that they do not see Josh making it back. They're waiting for the legal to play out, but he's not likely to make a return.

Well I guess it's my speculation vs their speculation. Just speculating here.

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

We seem good at keeping kids on scholarship while we wait for them to get kicked off the team. 

57 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Don’t assume C. Thompson stays, which would push Roschon to QB next year, and maybe keep Whittington at RB. I’m not clear what they would do on the final spots for grad transfer or second signing day in that scenario.

Why in the hell would Casey transfer?  He's an injury away from being the starter and would have to sit a year if he goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

I've never bought into Texas having a shot at Jahmyr Gibbs, and it appears that Georgia Tech, LSU, Florida, and Ohio State are getting his final four OVs 

They just need to offer Bradford and be done with it, before aggy puts on a full court press after they strike out on literally every priority RB out there

56 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Why in the hell would Casey transfer?  He's an injury away from being the starter and would have to sit a year if he goes.

If he does, take it as a sign that Hudson Card outplayed him in spring practice. And if that does happen, then well, bye.