Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

6 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Eagles will be better than CJ by the time he is done here. Dude has serious talent.

Maybe. Ā Seem like pretty different types to me. Ā Eagles seems like he has moreĀ RAC potential than CJ but doesnā€™t have the same hands or catch radius. Ā Eagles also seems moreĀ durable though.

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

He still isĀ a DE in this new system we got right? Or can he fill in at LB (weak point) for a season before bulking up to go back to DE?

It depends what Ash runs. IT had a new Boyd article this morning speaking to the differences between 4-3 press quartersĀ and 4-2-5 press quartersĀ which is terminology current players are using. Dorbah should fit the hybrid role he describes for Ossai here, and it should be noted that there isn't much depth behind Ossai now, except maybe Vaughns.

Spoiler

If youā€™re playing four-down, you need those four to be controlling the action up front at a very high level against the run and the pass to justify not getting more speed on the field. Fortunately for Ash, Orlandoā€™s recruiting style and success may have set him up pretty well here. For starters, despite only being a sophomore Ossai is an overqualified hybrid for a DE/OLB position. Texas could easily mix in drop eight coverages with Ossai and be as well off as though they were using a sub-package, particularly if they convert a safety to play middle linebacker.

Beyond that, the other three DL positions are more about controlling the point of attack and pushing the pocket then rushing off the edge. For that Texas has a lot of great pieces because virtually every DL theyā€™ve recruited fits that bill. They could run a 3-4 Over or Under hybrid front in which theyā€™re in a four-down the majority of the time but Ossai plays standing up, giving them the flexibility to go back and forth between those styles.

For instance, hereā€™s a 3-4 Over of the sort that Don Brown at Michigan likes to use imagined with Texas personnel:
Ā 

Texas 3-4 Over.jpg

Ā 

Itā€™d be harder to drop Ossai from this front but the idea is to play a big strongside end across from the TE as well as the 3-technique. That makes it virtually impossible for the offense to run the ball behind their TE because they donā€™t have the angles or numbers to double both the 3-tech and the 6-technique strongside end. So the ball has to go weak where Ossai is loose on the edge and Coburn is squatting down.

Hereā€™s the sort of 3-4 Under that Ash has typically utilized in the past:

Ā 

Ā 

Texas 3-4 Under.jpg

It's a lot easier to move Ossai back and forth between dropping like a LB or blitzing the edge. The strongside end position is still very similar although now heā€™s in a 5-technique and the offense can more easily double him with a TE. The goal with the Under traditionally was to handle downhill rushing attacks by sticking stout DL and the MLB at the point of attack while swarming from either edge with a lightning quick 3-tech and weakside end from one edge and a hard-charging sam linebacker from the other. Nowadays that isnā€™t really the name of the game because spread spacing has taken the sam linebacker off the field. These days the Under is best for using your stout strongside end and nose to the wide side of the field so that you can play more speed behind them at MLB and the nickel.

Ā 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Richter said:

Maybe. Ā Seem like pretty different types to me. Ā Eagles seems like he has moreĀ RAC potential than CJ but doesnā€™t have the same hands or catch radius. Ā Eagles also seems moreĀ durable though.

You can't compare a senior CJ to a sophomore Eagles who only saw limited action so far and was coached by Coach Meh. I expect him to have a breakout year next year assuming he stays healthy.Ā Ā 

The 247 mods are saying Dorbah looks real good playing in space at LB at the all-star game he's at.

Awesome, Ash should switch to a three man front, put Dorbah back in coverage on deep balls, blitz a safety from the far end zone, and make sure the tackles pinch inside.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

You can't compare a senior CJ to a sophomore Eagles who only saw limited action so far and was coached by Coach Meh. I expect him to have a breakout year next year assuming he stays healthy.Ā Ā 

CJ has essentially been good at what he does all four years with some incremental improvement each year, accounting for injury. Ā His career trajectory has been different than LJH or DD, who each had a major breakout year (likely partially thanks to defenses also having to account for CJ). Ā I donā€™t know how BEā€™s career will play out, but I can and do compare his natural strengthsĀ to CJ and they are different. Ā BE could end up better overall for sure, but they are different types.

15 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

He still isĀ a DE in this new system we got right? Or can he fill in at LB (weak point) for a season before bulking up to go back to DE?

He should be. Just because he's good in coverage, doesn't mean that he's not better rushing the passer and setting the edge. It's nice to have guys like Ossai and Dorbah that can credibly drop in coverage or man a fire zoneĀ every once in a long while, but they should both be utilized as true DEs in Ash's defense.

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It depends what Ash runs. IT had a new Boyd article this morning speaking to the differences between 4-3 press quartersĀ and 4-2-5 press quartersĀ which is terminology current players are using. Dorbah should fit the hybrid role he describes for Ossai here, and it should be noted that there isn't much depth behind Ossai now, except maybe Vaughns.

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

If youā€™re playing four-down, you need those four to be controlling the action up front at a very high level against the run and the pass to justify not getting more speed on the field. Fortunately for Ash, Orlandoā€™s recruiting style and success may have set him up pretty well here. For starters, despite only being a sophomore Ossai is an overqualified hybrid for a DE/OLB position. Texas could easily mix in drop eight coverages with Ossai and be as well off as though they were using a sub-package, particularly if they convert a safety to play middle linebacker.

Beyond that, the other three DL positions are more about controlling the point of attack and pushing the pocket then rushing off the edge. For that Texas has a lot of great pieces because virtually every DL theyā€™ve recruited fits that bill. They could run a 3-4 Over or Under hybrid front in which theyā€™re in a four-down the majority of the time but Ossai plays standing up, giving them the flexibility to go back and forth between those styles.

For instance, hereā€™s a 3-4 Over of the sort that Don Brown at Michigan likes to use imagined with Texas personnel:
Ā 

Texas 3-4 Over.jpg

Ā 

Itā€™d be harder to drop Ossai from this front but the idea is to play a big strongside end across from the TE as well as the 3-technique. That makes it virtually impossible for the offense to run the ball behind their TE because they donā€™t have the angles or numbers to double both the 3-tech and the 6-technique strongside end. So the ball has to go weak where Ossai is loose on the edge and Coburn is squatting down.

Hereā€™s the sort of 3-4 Under that Ash has typically utilized in the past:

Ā 

Ā 

Texas 3-4 Under.jpg

It's a lot easier to move Ossai back and forth between dropping like a LB or blitzing the edge. The strongside end position is still very similar although now heā€™s in a 5-technique and the offense can more easily double him with a TE. The goal with the Under traditionally was to handle downhill rushing attacks by sticking stout DL and the MLB at the point of attack while swarming from either edge with a lightning quick 3-tech and weakside end from one edge and a hard-charging sam linebacker from the other. Nowadays that isnā€™t really the name of the game because spread spacing has taken the sam linebacker off the field. These days the Under is best for using your stout strongside end and nose to the wide side of the field so that you can play more speed behind them at MLB and the nickel.

Ā 

This is just more classic overthinking from Boyd.Ā  Ash runs a pretty straightforward 4 down with primarily quarters coverage behind, sometimes cover 1/man free if he wants to blitz.Ā  Boyd spending so much time talking about dropping 8 and playing the Cover 2 Robber (not Inverted Tampa 2 like he keeps calling it) is just him once again missing the forest for the trees.

It's nice that both Ossai and Dorbah have the fluidity and athleticism to drop every once in a while or to add a wrinkle against a specific opponent, but they both need to be used as true DEs, whether 2 point stance or hands in the dirt, most of the time. Switching Dorbah to LB in either a 4-3 or 4-2-5 would be a big mistake. I doubt Ash will make this mistake, since he focuses so much on development of talent over scheme.Ā 

Boyd's going to struggle with writing about a Chris Ash defense. The two are basically polar opposites.Ā 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I can only imagine what having a better schemed passing game will mean for the young WRs. Instead of every catch being a 50/50 proposition, maybe the new scheme will allow for some of these guys to be running wide open.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I can only imagine what having a better schemed passing game will mean for the young WRs. Instead of every catch being a 50/50 proposition, maybe the new scheme will allow for some of these guys to be running wide open.

I'm not saying that we should compare Tylan Wallace in 2018 under Yurcich vs. Tylan Wallace in 2019 without Yurcich, but I'm not not saying that, either.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

...Dorbah should fit the hybrid role he describes for Ossai here, and it should be noted that there isn't much depth behind Ossai now, except maybe Vaughns.

Vaughnā€™s coming back? Had a glance at his twitter, very little Texas content and location is Forth Worth. I donā€™t make a habit of Twitter so canā€™t speak to whether thatā€™s changed recently or not, just found it interesting given his getting sent homeĀ from the bowl game.

50 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It's nice that both Ossai and Dorbah have the fluidity and athleticism to drop every once in a while or to add a wrinkle against a specific opponent, but they both need to be used as true DEs, whether 2 point stance or hands in the dirt, most of the time. Switching Dorbah to LB in either a 4-3 or 4-2-5 would be a big mistake. I doubt Ash will make this mistake, since he focuses so much on development of talent over scheme.Ā 

I haven't rewatched the bowl yet, but there's been much fodder over how much production we got from Ossai in spite of the fact that he was often dropping into shallow coverage. In fact, they ran a 3 man front with Roach and Ossai both at OLB and dropping at times.

It is abundantly clear that Ossai needs to be rushing the passer the majority of the time. It doesn't really matter where he's lined up as long as he has a good angle. Dorbah is lacking Ossai's length, so while they could both play a hybrid role I think it's more likely that in the absence of a hybrid, Dorbah plays linebacker and Ossai plays end.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yurcich schemed Tyler Cornelius to a nearly 4000Ā yard season.Ā  I'mĀ excited to see what he can do with Ehlinger, Eagles, Smith, Washington, Ingrahm, Bijan, Whittington.Ā  There are an embarrassment of riches at the skill position - even if most of them are 'inexperienced'?

harry potter drake GIF

THE CORN DOG!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I haven't rewatched the bowl yet, but there's been much fodder over how much production we got from Ossai in spite of the fact that he was often dropping into shallow coverage. In fact, they ran a 3 man front with Roach and Ossai both at OLB and dropping at times.

It is abundantly clear that Ossai needs to be rushing the passer the majority of the time. It doesn't really matter where he's lined up as long as he has a good angle. Dorbah is lacking Ossai's length, so while they could both play a hybrid role I think it's more likely that in the absence of a hybrid, Dorbah plays linebacker and Ossai plays end.

He didn't drop into coverage that much, and we sometimes stood Roach up but he was usually a down DE. The bowl game was pretty much just Orlando's system with Ossai as aĀ true B-Backer instead of an ILB (and without the idiotic blitzes and coverage schemes, of course. Also, Fuck You Todd Orlando!).Ā  Ā  The debates between a 3 man front and 4 man front were always pointless. Ossai needs to be used primarily as an edge defender. In Orlando's defense that was B-backer. In Ash's defense, that's DE.

Linebackers in Ash's defense rarely get to rush the passer. Rushing the passer is thought to be Dorbah's best attribute, so using him as a LB in Ash's defense would be a big mistake IMO.Ā  Plus Dorbah held up extremely well against the run as a 4i DE at HP, so while he doesn't have Ossai's length, I think he'll still hold up fine against the run as a DE in a 4 man front.Ā 

Now, if it turns out Dorbah can't rush the passer well at theĀ college level, then I'd have no problem moving him to LB later.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Ok so we are taking bets on which WR will step up out ofĀ 

Eagles

Moore

Washington

Smith

Woodard

Ā 

I'll take Washington.

Troy Omiere is going to play early.Ā  That kid doesn't have any speed but he's a damn good route runner and has really good hands (no katfid).Ā  I think he may get a decent amount of targets as a true freshman.

Ā 

As for which WR has a big year next year - give me Washington.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

North Shore looked pretty damn good without him. You have to wonder if this kid is over rated. You donā€™t have to wonder if heā€™s going to be a pain in the assĀ 

If he signed his LOI does itĀ mean this couldnā€™t have been due to UGA backing off?

4 minutes ago, Nope said:

If he signed his LOI does itĀ mean this couldnā€™t have been due to UGA backing off?

UGA could invalidate it and let him go. Remember the Du'Vonta Lampkin adventure?

(for those who are curious, Du'Vonta had a tremendous 1 tackle and an INT (lol) for THE Massachusetts Pirates this year, the indoor football pride of Worcester: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du'Vonta_Lampkin)

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

North Shore looked pretty damn good without him. You have to wonder if this kid is over rated. You donā€™t have to wonder if heā€™s going to be a pain in the assĀ 

You just look at North Shore and itā€™s just all about the tradition of being bigger, stronger and faster than everyone else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Thats assuming Evans wants out of his NLI.Ā  Georgia is obligated to him for one year unless Evans requests the release - right?

Georgia 247 mods saying they still want him, but could void the NLI. Feels like the spin factory would opt to suggest uga was dropping him if they were in fact voiding his NLI autonomously.

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

UGA could invalidate it and let him go. Remember the Du'Vonta Lampkin adventure?

(for those who are curious, Du'Vonta had a tremendous 1 tackle and an INT (lol) for THE Massachusetts Pirates this year, the indoor football pride of Worcester: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du'Vonta_Lampkin)

Smart of him to play in Massachusetts. He's not likely to run into too many spanish speakers up there.Ā 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Devin Duvernay signed his LOI to Baylor and sent it in. They never reported it because they'd committed NCAA violations in recruiting him - specifically they'd seen him in person too many times and knew it could be reported. However, if they didn't acknowledge the LOI and he just showed up on campus to start practice, hey, no sweat there. Ol'Kendal and Art sure are some clever fellers.

Of course, that all fell apart when the facts of institutionalized rape and rape cover-up came to light that spring and summer. Suddenly those shitheels had bigger issues to sweat. When they begrudgingly issued releases for all of the players that requested them, Devin Duvernay wasn't on the list. He never needed a release, because they never reported it. He was free to do whatever the fuck he wanted, which he did.Ā 

I could see this looking like that. Neither side on this deal has any moral compass, so nothing is out of the realm of possibility for either side. I'm interested in seeing where this goes. Evans has the potential to delight us multiple times over the next few years.Ā 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Georgia 247 mods saying they still want him, but could void the NLI. Feels like the spin factory would opt to suggest uga was dropping him if they were in fact voiding his NLI autonomously.

A saw a post from a Georgia mod that says Evans is no longer enrolling early. What a shit show.Ā 

Wait, I'm confused on what's going on with Evans. Do I have this all correct?

1. He's believed to have signed an LOI in the early period but kept it quiet
  2. The LOI is to Georgia
  3. He was going to publicly announce tonight at the all star game
  4. He's now not announcing
  5. It may be because Georgia wants out on their end

What would be the reason for UGA wanting out now? It's not like they didn't know he was a headcase when they (presumably) let him sign a couple weeks ago?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

2. The LOI is to Georgia

What would be the reason for UGA wanting out now? It's not like they didn't know he was a headcase when they (presumably) let him sign a couple weeks ago?

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, maybe. 247 mods reporting that Evans signed the letter and then IMMEDIATELY reached out to other schools and telling them he could still sign there. So we don't really know 5, but are speculating as such. Also mentioned this is not in fact a grade issue

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, maybe. 247 mods reporting that Evans signed the letter and then IMMEDIATELY reached out to other schools and telling them he could still sign there. So we don't really know 5, but are speculating as such. Also mentioned this is not in fact a grade issue

source.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So basically he signed with UGA and then kept his hands open. Noice.Ā  Can't wait to watch KKL walk back all the shit she talked about him after he accepts the 5 duffle bags of money she left on his door.Ā 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Ā 

- Is it because he thought Georgia was now obligated to take him, but if some other school came with a better offer, he could back out of his signature and go there ... ?Ā Ā 

- The earlier posts suggest it could be the other way round, right? (They could invalidate it, but he was obligated for a year?Ā  But wouldn't they need an official reason?)

- If he did in fact sign, Georgia, if they didn't like his shenanigans, could go public with his signature, although that could tick some people off, I suppose ... assuming there are people who take Evan's side.Ā Ā 

Sheesh.

(Edit - guess I had the same thought as Burt on the first point.)

Edited by Getafix

17 minutes ago, tokamak said:

2. The LOI is to Georgia

Thereā€™s degrees of crazy. Maybe Georgia came toĀ their ā€œnever marry a stripperā€ realization.Ā 

*Correction*

If he signed, the NLI has until tommorrow to beĀ filed with the NCAA.

If it's not filed, it's becomes invalid.

If it's already filed, there areĀ ways outĀ but none are simple.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1