Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There’s only been 5 people lost to attrition and 2 were due to freak injuries, so we’re not at that bad of a rate of avoidable attrition yet, but there is certainly potential for it to get worse. 

The primary reason our 2019 class is having more trouble is because we missed on a lot of our primary targets and had to circle back on guys with question marks even though we finished with the #3 class in the country. Our misses were  why we ended up with guys like Shepherd, Bru, Jones, Johnson, and Mitchell. It seems like the guys that a staff finds late in the cycle after other misses usually have higher attrition rates, like Michael Williams in 2018 or a bunch of the Charlie signings.

It really does not matter if it’s avoidable or not or bad luck or not. The overall impact is the exact same. The three freak health issues you have to think do not repeat themselves again. 

Bru was not a backup option. We went all in more than a year ago and he was a consensus top ten national recruit. Shepherd was also not a backup option but a lottery ticket that we were in on for a long time. If Smith or Washington transfer they were also priority targets. 

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It really does not matter if it’s avoidable or not or bad luck or not. The overall impact is the exact same. The three freak health issues you have to think do not repeat themselves again. 

Bru was not a backup option. We went all in more than a year ago and he was a consensus top ten national recruit. Shepherd was also not a backup option but a lottery ticket that we were in on for a long time. If Smith or Washington transfer they were also priority targets. 

So it's alarming in the sense of reducing our margin for error, not in a core staff issue you mean (beyond that already solved by shitcanning Meh and Orlando)

20 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Except the freak injuries absolutely matter. They speak to mistakes made by the staff versus bad luck that is not likely to continue occurring at the same rate in this class or future classes. The current attrition of 5 guys In a large class can be overcome. Continued attrition not as much. Furthermore, less misses in future classes will likely mean lower attrition rates if there’s correlation between early class misses and attrition like there seems to be. 

If we landed Wilson, Wright or Higgins, then we probably don’t go after Bru as desperately, and even if we did, losing him wouldn’t matter nearly as much. 

We had space to take Shepherd as a lottery ticket because we missed on OL like Green and Bragg.

So yeah, most of our non-injury attrition is related to missing on other targets who were less likely to be attrition risks.

Edited by Burt Macklin

37 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The fact that we are not even 12 months from the last recruiting window and seeing this high attrition rate is alarming. I predict a future article about the correlation to this and the large amount of out of state recruiting. But if you look at our depth chart only linebacker is even concerning at all to me. Pretty much every other position is healthier than we have seen since 2009. 

But 2020 cannot be like this or we will start to see the effects. 

WR also gets dicey fast if an expected  contributor leaves. 

9 hours ago, rvm96 said:

I can get down with making fun of the kid for the other stuff, but not for celebrating the TD. That doesn't make sense. 

Yeah. That throne and crown was there specifically for kids to celebrate their touchdowns. The kid has issues but that celebration wasn't one of them.

6 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Just saw this on Rakestraw’s Twitter. 

I saw Jaxon Smith-Ngiba twice.  Against Allen when he was 15-235-6 (yes 6 TDS!) plus the winning 2pt conversion. Against This guy, he was 5-37 plus a couple of PIs. 

Very impressed; do want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Could this be about Evans? 

https://247sports.com/Article/Georgia-football-recruiting-violations-Kirby-Smart-141577893/

Maybe they self reported violations in his recruitment, just so they wouldn't have to take him? 

This is about creating a distraction from the massive recruiting violations going on a UGA.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT: Humidor - Nahlin and Wells

Hide contents

The new year brings a new day as Tom Herman looks to right the ship after a good bowl victory and huge staff shake-up.

#####

IT: Why did Cort Jaquess get the start? Funny question to lead with but he's been a big topic.

Source: That's probably the wrong question. Why did they wait so long to give him some live reps? He's always been one of the hardest workers in practice and one of the hardest hitters. How he runs down on kicks is how he practices every day. I'm sure part of it was a nod to him being from San Antonio but I bet Naivar had been wondering the same thing I was and finally got his chance to do something about it. Plus, that's the game to play Cort if you're ever going to. He still has two years left so it'll be interesting to see how the new linebacker coach views him. I wouldn't tell the new coach he's a former walk on.

IT: The linebackers seemed to play better in general.

Source: I'm convinced not playing Ossai on the line of scrimmage cost Orlando his job. Everything was made easier by that, including linebacker play. If your gap is filled, flow to the ball and that's it. Juwan and Dele played well too. UT always plays run-first teams well. But that should have been the defense all year.

IT: Playing Utah helped. Would that have worked versus OU?

Source: With Jalen Hurts at quarterback? That's the exact defense they should have been running.

IT: What did this win do for the players?

Source: It restores confidence and starts to restore trust in coaching. They know more changes are on the way but there's a lot of excitement about what the new coordinators bring to the table. This was a good reminder that they are talented enough to dominate a good team. Of course there's some frustration too but winning the game in the fashion they did is a great springboard into the offseason.

IT: You mentioned coordinators. I'm hearing some positives over Chris Ash already.

Source: He came in the exact right way. He didn't come in hot like Herman. Herman had defensible reasons for doing that but it didn't work all that great. I don't know if Herman coached Ash on how to communicate with the players but whatever it is, they have the players' full attention. Ash has been relatable and shown genuine interest in getting to know the guys as more than just players. He's been honest with them and that's always appreciated. Some guys have been asked about position switches. I think I've mentioned Kobe Boyce but also Al'vonte Woodard and maybe a safety to linebacker. Ash thinks the team is safety heavy, and, well, it is. UT is damn near four deep there with more on the way in a couple of weeks.

IT: Boyce to receiver makes a lot of sense athletically, but removing bodies from the position is a bold way to improve depth.

Source: They need more twitch on that side of the ball. The thinking is Woodard would replace Boyce at corner. I'm not saying it makes sense, just that it's a consideration.

IT: Ohio State wanted Woodard at corner and I wondered about it myself when he was coming out of high school but he's way behind the developmental curve at the position. Who is he going to pass on the depth chart?

Source: We'll see, it's common for new coaches to come in and want to move guys around. Yurcich and the new wide receiver coach may have plans for Woodard.

IT: We know the defensive players are excited about Ash, but how do the offensive players feel about Yurcich?

Source: He's been a little busy of late and hasn't met with the players. But he's called some players to mention how excited he is to get to work with them. Everyone is well aware of Oklahoma State's offensive success over the years. Being at Ohio State this year also gives him credibility with the players. They're excited.

IT: Despite the disappointing season things seem to be trending up toward the end with regards to team psyche. Have you heard much about potential transfers?

Source: That's quieted down a whole lot. Funny how that works. The coaches should still remain in constant contact with players they're worried about, especially as they go home for a week or two. If a kid has been known to be homesick, I'd stay on him pretty good.

IT: Especially the way Arizona State has been recruiting.

Source: Yeah.

IT: Have you heard anything about coaching hires?

Source: I think Emmett Jones is the heavy favorite for wide receivers. Herman has liked him for a while and he was going to be a candidate regardless of who the coordinator is. If Yurcich is fine with him I bet it'll be Jones. Tyron Carrier still hasn't interviewed but is expected to in the next day or two. He's another guy Herman has had his eyes on for a while. It seems they're going to hire a stud regardless.

IT: What about other positions?

Source: Things have been quiet but will probably pick up as more jobs open up within the program.

STATE OF RECRUITING

We’re a month away from NSD2. Sitting at 17 signees, Texas adding 3-4 more to the class seems most likely today.

Tom Herman will attempt to fill in the remaining spots on the staff over the next couple weeks. Those future coaches will have some input on how this class closes. They may have preexisting relationships with a target or two.

Quick look at UT’s Big Board:

Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek, DL - Priority No. 1 and the last big-time signature Texas needs rather than wants, has looked outstanding in San Antonio this week for All-American bowl practices. He says he’s down to UT, Alabama, Baylor, and OU. But behind the scenes, it might be more deeper than that. His mother’s fondness for Texas is unyielding. The closer we get to the first Wednesday in February, the more I think UT here. All the current noise behind the scenes points to Texas.

Interestingly, a Cigar source told us there's talk of another surprise. The first one was Jaylan Ford, which we also heard from sources in Frisco, but this "surprise" is thought to be a bigger fish. I heard of this before the newfound momentum with Collins and believe Collins is the surprise but I don't know for sure.

Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH - This one is tilting in different directions. Dixon wants to play, and the chance of that at UTSA is a lot greater than at Texas. Playing with big bro, Keaontay, is still a possibility. His Austin OV is January 31st. But his window to make a decision might close before then.

Isaiah Dunson, Tucker (GA), CB - Some definitive upside here, and we know Texas needs another corner. A visit would do wonders for both parties involved. The former Florida State four-star commitment is pretty open at this point.

Tre Bradford, Lancaster, RB - UT still has interest in the four-star. It’ll be interesting when/if they take another RB in 2020. UT's track record for recruiting Lancaster isn't good but a lot of that is UT not pushing too hard.

Princely Umanmielen, Manor, DL - He still has four officials to take. Don’t be shocked if Texas is one of them. We're beginning to think he ends up in Austin especially given the bowl performance and new front.

Rashad Battle, Creekside (Fairburn, GA) CB - Texas has contacted him and there’s mutual interest. A CB/S coach would help here. The three-star is a one-time Maryland commit.

Savion Williams, Marshall (TX) WR - The 6-foot-4 pass-catcher from ETX and former Arkansas pledge is on the Texas radar. The next WR coach could determine the amount of effort the Horns put forward.

Jahmyr Gibbs, Dalton (GA), RB - This one smells like LSU. Getting him on campus is key but his official visits are booked. It won’t be Georgia Tech, @DukeSilver.

More names will emerge and as always the staff will keep an eye on the transfer market.

The surprise could be Collins as the momentum has swung back. I would be inclined to believe it's more likely a guy like McGlothern.

We could do better than Mcglothern 

7 minutes ago, texasfight2025 said:

Warehime to New Mexico as OC per Anwar/OB.  Those poor toilets during hatch season...

Why do the head coaches with a defensive background routinely fuck up their OC hires?

Granted this is UNM so the bar is pretty low since the the late 90s and early 2000's with franchione and rocky.

So hopefully adding Collins & Umanmielen adds 2 more DL to 2020 Texas Class for a total of 19.  Guessing Horns will still try to add possibly a CB, LB, WR and maybe a TE or RB?

Signed Letter of Intent (17)

OFFENSE

• RB Bijan Robinson  (Tucson, AZ)  
  • QB/ATH  Ja'Quinden Jackson  Duncanville H.S. (TX)
  • QB  Hudson Card.   Lake Travis H.S. (TX)  
  • WR  Troy Omeire Ft Bend Austin (Sugar Land TX)
  • WR   Dajon Harrison.  Hutto (Hutto, TX)  
  • OC   Jake Majors.  Prosper (Prosper, TX)   
  • OT Jaylen Garth   Port Neches-Groves H.S.(TX)
  • OT   Andrej Karic    Southlake Carroll H.S (TX)
  • OG   Logan Parr   O'Connor H.S. (Helotes, TX)  

ATH/LB   Jaden Hullaby  Mansfield Timberview (TX) 

DEFENSE

• DT   Vernon Broughton  Cy Ridge (Houston, TX)
  • DT     Sawyer Goram-Welch  Longview (TX) 
  • OLB  Prince Dorbah  Highland Park (Dallas, TX)  ,
  • LB   Jaylan Ford.  Lone Star (Frisco, TX) 
  • CB   Kitan Crawford  John Tyler (Tyler, TX)
  • S   Jerrin Thompson. Lufkin (Lufkin, TX) 
  • S   Xavion Alford  Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX)   
Edited by LTtxfan

12 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Except the freak injuries absolutely matter. They speak to mistakes made by the staff versus bad luck that is not likely to continue occurring at the same rate in this class or future classes. The current attrition of 5 guys In a large class can be overcome. Continued attrition not as much. Furthermore, less misses in future classes will likely mean lower attrition rates if there’s correlation between early class misses and attrition like there seems to be. 

If we landed Wilson, Wright or Higgins, then we probably don’t go after Bru as desperately, and even if we did, losing him wouldn’t matter nearly as much. 

We had space to take Shepherd as a lottery ticket because we missed on OL like Green and Bragg.

So yeah, most of our non-injury attrition is related to missing on other targets who were less likely to be attrition risks.

Shepherd has nothing to do with Bragg. And Texas is recruiting Bru no matter what. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with going after a top national recruit who shows real interest in your school. It just turns out he is a fucking dickhead and I wish we had someone figured that out before we did. 

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Shepherd has nothing to do with Bragg. And Texas is recruiting Bru no matter what. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with going after a top national recruit who shows real interest in your school. It just turns out he is a fucking dickhead and I wish we had someone figured that out before we did. 

1. Way to ignore the other OL miss I listed. 2. Not true at all. If we had landed more OL targets, we wouldn’t have had the extra spot to spend a lottery ticket on Shepherd, who everyone knew was a huge risk.

Look man, this isn’t complicated. Most of the non-injury attrition we’ve had is related to missing on other primary targets who were much lower attrition risks. All of Johnson, Shep, and Bru fall into that category. Same goes for a lot of the other potential attrition risks, like Jones or Mitchell. JUCO prospects always have a higher attrition risk and we had to go JUCO because Orlando did a terrible job recruiting LBs while he was here. 

This isn’t a complicated concept, but you can keep trying to argue it all you want. I’m done talking about it.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

1. Way to ignore the other OL miss I listed. 2. Not true at all. If we had landed more OL targets, we wouldn’t have had the extra spot to spend a lottery ticket on Shepherd, who everyone knew was a huge risk.

Look man, this isn’t complicated. Most of the non-injury attrition we’ve had is related to missing on other primary targets who were much lower attrition risks. All of Johnson, Shep, and Bru fall into that category. Same goes for a lot of the other potential attrition risks, like Jones or Mitchell. JUCO prospects always have a higher attrition risk and we had to go JUCO because Orlando did a terrible job recruiting LBs while he was here. 

This isn’t a complicated concept, but you can keep trying to argue it all you want. I’m done talking about it.

Wait why's Mitchell an attrition risk? Gbenda's the LB who did the dumb thing.

Edited by texifornia

Just now, texifornia said:

Wait why's Mitchell an attrition risk? Gbenda's the LB who did the dumb thing.

Wasnt Mitchell the one that punched a coach or something during the season and got suspended for at least a game? I’d say that puts him in the attrition risk category even if that incident has smoothed over. 

Wasnt Mitchell the one that punched a coach or something during the season and got suspended for at least a game? I’d say that puts him in the attrition risk category even if that incident has smoothed over. 
I believe he was also seen heading to the locker room during the eyes of Texas after the Tech game

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oooo totally forgot about that.

Unless, of course, that coach was Orlando. In which case, he should be given a medal and we should all be contributing to a gofundme to cover the “medical expenses” for his hand’s recovery. 

If I were Mitchell, I’d just start telling people it was Orlando he punched regardless of who it actually was. He could eat for free in Austin for the rest of his life off that one feat alone.

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

- Beating frat boys to a pulp after a fender bender

- Pulling out a loaded gun on 6th street

- Hitting a coach

- Sucker punching another player

- Threatening to kill an S&C coach

We should be way better at football than we are   

You're not a good team until your best players are your team captains do the things listed above 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I thought Jacoby Jones was the suckerpuncher. Although, with the way linebackers failed to develop under Orlando, I would expect Juwan to hold The Grudge.

7 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Could this be about Evans? 

https://247sports.com/Article/Georgia-football-recruiting-violations-Kirby-Smart-141577893/

Maybe they self reported violations in his recruitment, just so they wouldn't have to take him? 

In response to the NCAA violations, Georgia paid the $10,000 fine and reduced official visits by four during the current recruiting cycle, took away three weeks of unofficial visits, reduced its evaluation days by nine for the spring of 2020, reduced evaluation days by three during fall 2019 and stopped recruiting the athletes involved. Georgia also agreed not to recruit any prospects at one of the high schools involved for two years.

The other high schools involved apparently have too much underclass talent.