Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Richter said:

Looking like we’ll have pretty good DL and OL classes.  LB not so much at this point...

Awesome. Maybe we can pick up a vet from the portal or grad transfer there. Also that one white guy that hasn't played all year with the neck rolls looked ok in the bowl game.

1 hour ago, thepop said:

People assumed he was out after walking off the field and skipping The Eyes after the Tech game. Now we’re not sure so we’re just calling him a possible candidate. Hopefully the bowl game was a sign that he’s back on the train.

My hope is clean slate between the new position coaches and all players. Herman needs to let his position coaches determine who needs to stay and go. The only guy that for sure should be gone is Moore.

Collins is huge. He pops off the screen even at the AA game. He was a monster in the run game. He definitely needs to work on his pass rushing technique, but he’s got all the tools.

The ball didn’t go towards Dorbah a lot, but he’s got great athleticism and fluidity. Would’ve been nice to see him get some pass rush opportunities.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Collins is huge. He pops off the screen even at the AA game. He was a monster in the run game. He definitely needs to work on his pass rushing technique, but he’s got all the tools.

The ball didn’t go towards Dorbah a lot, but he’s got great athleticism and fluidity. Would’ve been nice to see him get some pass rush opportunities.

If Giles is the developer of talent that he’s been built up to be (and the obvious caveat of he actually signs with Texas) it will be incredible to see what Collins, Dorbah and Broughton do. They are easily the most talented DL recruits in the Herman era

Edited by RGBIII

25 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

If Giles is the developer of talent that he’s been built up to be (and the obvious caveat of he actually signs with Texas) it will be incredible to see what Collins, Dorbah and Broughton do. They are easily the most talented DL recruits in the Herman era

RIP big 12 qbs

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

We have the makings of a serious pass rush and disruption on the interior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

One of the most critical reasons for Clemson's recent Championships is their great defensive lines.

• Like 3

On 1/3/2020 at 3:07 PM, texifornia said:

Our hit rate is the lowest in cfb, though, in terms of converting highly-rated classes into wins. Stats and shit bear it out.

Average team recruiting rank in the 12 years (2006-2017) since the greatest game ever:

USC #5.1

Texas #8.9

I’d say a team in your state has done worse. 

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Average team recruiting rank in the 12 years (2006-2017) since the greatest game ever:

USC #5.1

Texas #8.9

I’d say a team in your state has done worse. 

You could say it, unfortunately you’d be wrong. 

Conference Championships

Texas - 1

USC - 4

Wins
Texas - 116

USC - 129

That’ll happen when you stack 3 consecutive losing seasons though - thanks Charlie!

Edited by ChemicalHorn

On 1/3/2020 at 8:32 PM, Burt Macklin said:

I’m sure you’ll be shocked to learn that he is not on there. Neither is Prince Dorbah.

The TexAgs rankings have Karic at 75th in State. 

giphy.gif

on one hand, i can at least KIND of get it with Karic, late riser on the OL, hard to evaluate, etc 

but Dorbah is hilarious. #131 overall in the composite, #18 in Texas...has been a top 300 recruit his entire career and has been a top 110-130 composite player since June.

247/Stampede

Spoiler

Texas now has both new coordinators in place following the official hirings of Chris Ash and Mike Yurcich. The dead period will lift at the end of this week, and the new Texas staff will go back out on the hunt to finish their 2020 class.

The Texas staff still has multiple slots to fill, and they’ll also need to add to their coaching staff before they begin hosting prospects on official visits in January. After a week at The All-American Bowl speaking with sources and prospects, we’ve got a pretty good idea of what the rest of the class could look like. We were also able to speak with national sources to get an idea of what coaches could be a fit for Texas as they look to fill out positions within their new coaching staff.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we will take a look at how Texas can finish the 2020 class, learn more insight on the recruiting abilities of Mike Yurcich, and take a look at some interesting coaching staff names that could be on the horizon.

The Texas staff will look to finish off their 2020 class with an eye towards official visits when the dead period ends this week. After gathering some intelligence over the last few weeks, let’s take a look at the current board with a few possible new targets.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, Dalton (Ga.)
I went back and forth over whether I should add this one to the board. I’ll just say this, Gibbs would need to fit Texas into his busy visit schedule before I could consider the Longhorns an actual contender. Gibbs mentioned Texas as more of an afterthought down in San Antonio during the All-American Bowl, and it doesn’t seem that the Longhorns will be a threat for the electric back.

RB Kevontre Bradford, Lancaster
With Gibbs seemingly off the board, all eyes will turn to Kevontre Bradford. Yurcich was part of the Ohio State staff that offered Bradford earlier in the year, and Texas went in-home with the south Dallas speedster prior to the early signing period. Sources at Lancaster indicate that Bradford would be gettable for Texas should they move on him quickly.

WR Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage
Texas is expected to host Dixon for an official visit during January, and it will likely be during the last available official visit weekend. The brother of Texas running back Keaontay Ingram was leaning towards Texas near the end of the year, but recent buzz indicates Baylor and UTSA will make a push for the east Texas star. Texas has always been the favorite, and it will be interesting to see how hard they push for Dixon down the stretch.

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek
After spending a week in San Antonio, I’ve reached the highest level of confidence in Alfred Collins landing at Texas that I’ve had during the entire process. Before the early signing period, there were a few sources confident in Texas landing Collins, and the Texas signees in attendance at the All-American Bowl didn’t let Collins out of their sight the entire week. Expect to see Collins end up on campus for an unofficial visit during the month of January as Texas looks to slam the door. The staff will have to endure an entire month plus a slew of in-home visits, but my sources point to Texas being the landing spot for Collins.

LB Derick Mourning, Katy Paetow
Mourning is a completely off the radar type of prospect, but I’ve been told that the Longhorns have been in contact with the Houston-area prospect. We will see how hard they push for Mourning this month, but he has the look of a late developer at linebacker that could ultimately turn into a great pickup.

CB Isaiah Dunson, Tucker (Ga.)
Dunson is set to make a visit to Texas in January, and the Longhorns could close him if all goes well. It could depend on the way staff hires shake out as Dunson was originally contacted by Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington.

I had the chance to speak with Ohio State signee CJ Stroud last week during the All-American Bowl practices in San Antonio. The four-star quarterback from Rancho Cucamonga (Calif.) was courted to the Buckeyes by new Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich. I asked Stroud what type of recruiter Texas would be getting, and he spoke highly of Yurcich.

“Me and coach Yurich were really cool,” Stroud said. “He’s definitely someone I had a great relationship with. 

He was one of the first people to recruit me at Ohio State. When I went up there he did meetings with me and all that good stuff. He’s definitely one of the best I feel. He’s a great offensive mind, and I feel like he’ll do a lot of great things at Texas. I wish the best for him.”

Stroud said that Yurcich’s willingness to put himself out there really stuck out to him during the recruiting process.

“He’s kind of pumped up,” he said. “He has a lot of juice. If you need to he will get you motivated.”

Texas will have several staff openings to fill over the next few weeks. As Tom Herman looks to add talented coaches with strong recruiting ability, I decided to put a list together of some possibilities. After speaking with sources from across the nation last week, I was able to put together a list of a few coaches to keep an eye on during the hiring process.

Emmett Jones, Kansas
We’ve talked about Jones many times, and he would be a grand slam hire for Texas. A former south Dallas high school coach with ties to Duncanville and South Oak Cliff, Jones was a star recruiter at Texas Tech and Kansas. If Jones could go out on the trail sporting a Longhorn logo, he could totally change the balance of power in Dallas.

Tim Brewster, North Carolina
It sounds like Brewster could be heading back to Texas A&M, but if Texas is looking for an ace national recruiter, Brewster could fill that role as a tight ends coach at Texas. Brewster is one of the most polarizing characters in the college football world, but his recruiting skins are legit.

Sherrone Moore, Michigan
Moore is one of the top recruiters in the country and he carries a strong reputation at Michigan. After previous stops at Louisville and Central Michigan, Moore is emerging as a young star on the recruiting front. If Texas is looking to make a big move at the tight end position, Moore could provide a boost to recruiting and coaching.

Jason Mohns, Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro
Mohns is currently the head coach at the powerhouse Arizona high school, and he’s likely the next high school coach to make the jump to the big time. The Longhorns have been active recruiting in Arizona, and Mohns would provide an advantage in Arizona and beyond.

Randall Joyner, SMU
SMU’s defensive line coach is one of the rising stars in the business and could be a candidate to coach defensive line or linebackers. Joyner is known as a strong tactical coach with legitimate recruiting chops. Texas could buy relatively low on Joyner and reap the rewards when he blossoms into a star assistant.

Donte Williams, Oregon
Oregon’s current cornerback coach is in the mix to be the Pac 12 recruiter of the year, and he would be a huge weapon if Texas wanted to continue to expand their brand to the west coast. Williams previously coached at San Jose State, Arizona, and Nebraska, and he’s another young star generating a ton of buzz nationally.

Kerry Cooks, Texas Tech
An Irving, TX native, Cooks has experience recruiting Texas during his time at Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma. Cooks has a strong reputation recruiting in the D-FW area, and he owns a wealth of experience teaching the position.

Aaron Fletcher, Tulsa
An Austin native who played at Texas A&M Commerce, Fletcher went on to make multiple stops at the high school level (Carter, Lancaster, Austin LBJ) before coaching at Houston Baptist. Fletcher’s Tulsa secondaries have been strong performers over the last few years, and national sources speak highly of him as both a coach and recruiter.

• Like 1

Regarding the high school coach mentioned in the Stampede above - here is an interesting quote from a Football Scoop article about Jason Mohns that came out in the summer.  Football Scoop predicted he'd be the next high school coach to make the jump: 

Anyway, my goal here is to not to do the same with Jason Mohns. The head coach at Saguaro High School in Scottsdale, Ariz., is not Zion Williamson for a bunch of different reasons, starting with the fact that Zion has a much higher vertical. But it’s hard to listen to him speak, as I did at the Tony Franklin OC Magic clinic on Saturday, and not come away thinking he’s the next high school coach to make the jump to major college football.

Don’t take my word for it, though. Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand, speaking after Mohns on Saturday, paused his own talk to heap praise on Mohns, sitting in the front row. “I’m so fired up for you, dude,” he said. “One day I hope I work for you. You’ve got it figured out, dude. If you’re going to overhaul your whole system, go do what he does. No wonder he scores 50 points a game.” Franklin praised Mohns with words I can’t print, because this is a family website.

https://footballscoop.com/news/next-coach-jump-high-school-big-time-jason-mohns-saguaro-arizona/

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Regarding the high school coach mentioned in the Stampede above - here is an interesting quote from a Football Scoop article about Jason Mohns that came out in the summer.  Football Scoop predicted he'd be the next high school coach to make the jump: 

Absolute Mensa move by Herman to pass on Ringo so we could hire Mohns as an assistant coach this year. I bet Kirby Smart is kicking himself right now for signing Ringo. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Absolute Mensa move by Herman to pass on Ringo so we could hire Mohns as an assistant coach this year. 

If you hire him as one of your 10 assistants you can still recruit the kid. If you hire as an analyst you can’t recruit that hs for 2+ years. 

28 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

247/Stampede

Hide contents

Texas now has both new coordinators in place following the official hirings of Chris Ash and Mike Yurcich. The dead period will lift at the end of this week, and the new Texas staff will go back out on the hunt to finish their 2020 class.

The Texas staff still has multiple slots to fill, and they’ll also need to add to their coaching staff before they begin hosting prospects on official visits in January. After a week at The All-American Bowl speaking with sources and prospects, we’ve got a pretty good idea of what the rest of the class could look like. We were also able to speak with national sources to get an idea of what coaches could be a fit for Texas as they look to fill out positions within their new coaching staff.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we will take a look at how Texas can finish the 2020 class, learn more insight on the recruiting abilities of Mike Yurcich, and take a look at some interesting coaching staff names that could be on the horizon.

The Texas staff will look to finish off their 2020 class with an eye towards official visits when the dead period ends this week. After gathering some intelligence over the last few weeks, let’s take a look at the current board with a few possible new targets.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, Dalton (Ga.)
I went back and forth over whether I should add this one to the board. I’ll just say this, Gibbs would need to fit Texas into his busy visit schedule before I could consider the Longhorns an actual contender. Gibbs mentioned Texas as more of an afterthought down in San Antonio during the All-American Bowl, and it doesn’t seem that the Longhorns will be a threat for the electric back.

RB Kevontre Bradford, Lancaster
With Gibbs seemingly off the board, all eyes will turn to Kevontre Bradford. Yurcich was part of the Ohio State staff that offered Bradford earlier in the year, and Texas went in-home with the south Dallas speedster prior to the early signing period. Sources at Lancaster indicate that Bradford would be gettable for Texas should they move on him quickly.

WR Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage
Texas is expected to host Dixon for an official visit during January, and it will likely be during the last available official visit weekend. The brother of Texas running back Keaontay Ingram was leaning towards Texas near the end of the year, but recent buzz indicates Baylor and UTSA will make a push for the east Texas star. Texas has always been the favorite, and it will be interesting to see how hard they push for Dixon down the stretch.

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek
After spending a week in San Antonio, I’ve reached the highest level of confidence in Alfred Collins landing at Texas that I’ve had during the entire process. Before the early signing period, there were a few sources confident in Texas landing Collins, and the Texas signees in attendance at the All-American Bowl didn’t let Collins out of their sight the entire week. Expect to see Collins end up on campus for an unofficial visit during the month of January as Texas looks to slam the door. The staff will have to endure an entire month plus a slew of in-home visits, but my sources point to Texas being the landing spot for Collins.

LB Derick Mourning, Katy Paetow
Mourning is a completely off the radar type of prospect, but I’ve been told that the Longhorns have been in contact with the Houston-area prospect. We will see how hard they push for Mourning this month, but he has the look of a late developer at linebacker that could ultimately turn into a great pickup.

CB Isaiah Dunson, Tucker (Ga.)
Dunson is set to make a visit to Texas in January, and the Longhorns could close him if all goes well. It could depend on the way staff hires shake out as Dunson was originally contacted by Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington.

I had the chance to speak with Ohio State signee CJ Stroud last week during the All-American Bowl practices in San Antonio. The four-star quarterback from Rancho Cucamonga (Calif.) was courted to the Buckeyes by new Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich. I asked Stroud what type of recruiter Texas would be getting, and he spoke highly of Yurcich.

“Me and coach Yurich were really cool,” Stroud said. “He’s definitely someone I had a great relationship with. 

He was one of the first people to recruit me at Ohio State. When I went up there he did meetings with me and all that good stuff. He’s definitely one of the best I feel. He’s a great offensive mind, and I feel like he’ll do a lot of great things at Texas. I wish the best for him.”

Stroud said that Yurcich’s willingness to put himself out there really stuck out to him during the recruiting process.

“He’s kind of pumped up,” he said. “He has a lot of juice. If you need to he will get you motivated.”

Texas will have several staff openings to fill over the next few weeks. As Tom Herman looks to add talented coaches with strong recruiting ability, I decided to put a list together of some possibilities. After speaking with sources from across the nation last week, I was able to put together a list of a few coaches to keep an eye on during the hiring process.

Emmett Jones, Kansas
We’ve talked about Jones many times, and he would be a grand slam hire for Texas. A former south Dallas high school coach with ties to Duncanville and South Oak Cliff, Jones was a star recruiter at Texas Tech and Kansas. If Jones could go out on the trail sporting a Longhorn logo, he could totally change the balance of power in Dallas.

Tim Brewster, North Carolina
It sounds like Brewster could be heading back to Texas A&M, but if Texas is looking for an ace national recruiter, Brewster could fill that role as a tight ends coach at Texas. Brewster is one of the most polarizing characters in the college football world, but his recruiting skins are legit.

Sherrone Moore, Michigan
Moore is one of the top recruiters in the country and he carries a strong reputation at Michigan. After previous stops at Louisville and Central Michigan, Moore is emerging as a young star on the recruiting front. If Texas is looking to make a big move at the tight end position, Moore could provide a boost to recruiting and coaching.

Jason Mohns, Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro
Mohns is currently the head coach at the powerhouse Arizona high school, and he’s likely the next high school coach to make the jump to the big time. The Longhorns have been active recruiting in Arizona, and Mohns would provide an advantage in Arizona and beyond.

Randall Joyner, SMU
SMU’s defensive line coach is one of the rising stars in the business and could be a candidate to coach defensive line or linebackers. Joyner is known as a strong tactical coach with legitimate recruiting chops. Texas could buy relatively low on Joyner and reap the rewards when he blossoms into a star assistant.

Donte Williams, Oregon
Oregon’s current cornerback coach is in the mix to be the Pac 12 recruiter of the year, and he would be a huge weapon if Texas wanted to continue to expand their brand to the west coast. Williams previously coached at San Jose State, Arizona, and Nebraska, and he’s another young star generating a ton of buzz nationally.

Kerry Cooks, Texas Tech
An Irving, TX native, Cooks has experience recruiting Texas during his time at Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma. Cooks has a strong reputation recruiting in the D-FW area, and he owns a wealth of experience teaching the position.

Aaron Fletcher, Tulsa
An Austin native who played at Texas A&M Commerce, Fletcher went on to make multiple stops at the high school level (Carter, Lancaster, Austin LBJ) before coaching at Houston Baptist. Fletcher’s Tulsa secondaries have been strong performers over the last few years, and national sources speak highly of him as both a coach and recruiter.

I don't know much about most of these guys, honestly, but if these blurbs are even remotely correct, give me Randall Joyner at SMU at linebacker coach, Emmett Jones, and Tim Brewster. I liked Sherrone Moore and heard him being discussed at the high school all star games and Michigan bowl game on TV, but then I saw he's a Sooner grad. I'll take a pass there. 

Mohns sounds interesting, but where do you put the guy on offense? TE? Seems like he'd have big ideas and probably get dismissed or shit on by Herman and move on as opposed to be given a voice. Williams seems like a pipe dream. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Anwar, who has been Herman's mouthpiece, said yesterday that Emmett Jones hasn't been mentioned from his sources, and this am Chip said that he hasn't been contacted by Herman

He's my #1 choice there, although Carrier ("he's Carrington but a coach") and Coleman (six years under Snyder means he can really coach, the players love him, the only question mark is recruiting ability) are fine by me too