Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The only reason you think this guy is above doing something stupid involving his staff is because you're putting him on a pedestal. You're doing that because he's a coach for a program you like, and you're succumbing to the halo effect. When Herman is inevitably fired for more stupid, obstinate and likely unnecessary shit in a year or two, you guys will be the same guys saying "yeah, we knew we were in trouble the day he showed up with Tim Beck and the UH staff". Untrue. You continue to give him the benefit of the doubt with his actions when none of it is merited. 

And yet, he’s a pretty good football coach. Broyles winner/national champion coordinator, 22-4 at fucking Houston, and hc of a 10 win team on the upswing last year. 

You have allowed your disdain for Tom Herman to cloud your perspective. People learn and grow and change, and I typically attribute that to available opportunity. If he perceives that his window of opportunity at Texas is closing, I’m going to choose to hope that he’s forced to grow up and learn and grow like the rest of us. If he doesn’t, my opinion will change. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

247 has Rakestraw slated to OV to Mizzou, Miami, and Michigan State after the dead period.

I’ve read separate articles that said that he is visiting both Miami and Michigan State on the weekend of Jan. 17, so not sure if he’ll make both of those. I imagine he’ll be making a trip to Bama since he said it’s his dream school. 

11 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Not sure what Wescunt Ewok's angle is here, but some recruiting news (doing my part for the push to 1000)

He thought we legitimately lost Scott to KU when he committed there, so he now attaches significance for Texas to the fact that he decommitted and that one of the coaches that recruited him (Emmitt Jones) could be coming to Texas. 

Basically he’s making a stupid inference based on a previous stupid inference he made months ago. Just another example of Wescott’s quality reporting.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

He thought we legitimately lost Scott to KU when he committed there, so he now attaches significance for Texas to the fact that he decommitted and that one of the coaches that recruited him (Emmitt Jones) could be coming to Texas. 

Basically he’s making a stupid inference based on a previous stupid inference he made months ago. Just another example of Wescott’s quality reporting.

Brian Davis said it first so Wescott probably just saw it on his TL and wrote up an article for clicks

Super common for a prospect decommit because a coach who isn’t his head coach, coordinator, or position coach might be leaving the school. It has nothing at all to do with the fact that the school in question is fucking Kansas. 

the good news is that every’s timely has just arrived as ever other 995er is pulling back the reins on Emmett Jones. 

God He’s such a piece of shit. I’d cross a freeway during heavy traffic just to throw that cunt in front of a bus. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

46 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

And yet, he’s a pretty good football coach. Broyles winner/national champion coordinator, 22-4 at fucking Houston, and hc of a 10 win team on the upswing last year. 

You have allowed your disdain for Tom Herman to cloud your perspective. People learn and grow and change, and I typically attribute that to available opportunity. If he perceives that his window of opportunity at Texas is closing, I’m going to choose to hope that he’s forced to grow up and learn and grow like the rest of us. If he doesn’t, my opinion will change. 

He’s averaging more than 4 losses per game at Texas, dude. My disdain begins and ends with w/l records unless his dumbass crosses over in OU from the 80’s or worse in terms of behaviors. 

I realize that Chuckles couldn’t put up a winning record at Texas, so Herman is the 6 standing next to the fat girl at the dance, but he’s yet to prove that he’s a “pretty good football coach” at the highest level. This ain’t UH and I don’t give one fuck about a Broyles Award. Greg Davis also won one of those. 

Also, normal people do tend to keep learning. A hallmark of a true narcissist is that they don’t and they begin to get outperformed by their peers as the peers catch up through learning to their talent, usually a phenomenon in their late 30’s to mid 40’s. No way that could be happening here though. 

• Like 1

Herman (Age 44) first 3 years at Texas:  25-15 
Saban (Age 52) first 3 years at LSU:  26-12
Harbaugh (Age 54) first 3 years at UM:  28-11
Chris Peterson (Age 52) first 3 years at UW: 27-14

if it’s “all about W/L” then these other guys, at the time, weren’t much more than “pretty good” coaches   There’s a rational play to let this thing play out before letting your opinion calcify   

Harbaugh? The guy who gets his ass blasted by his rival every year? Not the example i would have chosen

42 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Damn 4 losses a game.  That’s rough 

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Is that a lot? That seems like a lot. 

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

But does Harbaugh have at least 4 losses a game? 

Okay, dickheads. I was cooking dinner. You know what I meant. He averages more than 4 losses per year at Texas. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

if it’s “all about W/L” then these other guys, at the time, weren’t much more than “pretty good” coaches   There’s a rational play to let this thing play out before letting your opinion calcify   

Where is Dabo?

Are you also going to eventually tell us that Saban lost to ULM in his first year at Alabama? 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Okay, dickheads. I was cooking dinner. You know what I meant. He averages more than 4 losses per year at Texas. 

Now if that isn’t commitment, then I don’t know what is.  Not only can you be smug, opinionated and think you know more than anyone who comes on this board, you also send responses to internet threads while you are cooking dinner?  Then you make a mistake and expect a hall pass because you were cooking?  I get it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Dabo 25 - 16. Dropped his interim season in 2008. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think I know what a real one looks like. Don't act like it isn't a commonly used term for going into the contacts.

Old man, I am not nearly as crotchety or persnickety as you seem to think. If we met in person, you would enjoy the conversation until some sort of bar brawl inevitably broke out due to ne'er-do-wells, no doubt. 

Don’t you tell me how to act!!!

45 minutes ago, bluto said:

Understand that LSU was middling for decades save a couple 2-3 year blips until Saban built the foundation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LSU_Tigers_football_seasons

I remember it clearly. It was so weird that no one knew what the fuck was happening. I remember he set his buddy up for success at MSU and that guy turned it into a den of inequity. Everyone thought the move to LSU was weird. Seriously.

Texas owned LSU completely in the 2001 Cotton Bowl. I assumed Saban would be another LSU also-ran. Whoops. 

Saban at LSU, Carroll at USC and Rhule at Baylor. Every time someone wants to declare that so and so will fail at a school, I think of those guys immediately and think about how fucking wrong everyone is.

Guys potentially like that right now? Sir Edward Beauregard Orgeron, VI, and Herm Edwards. Ed O after Ole Miss didn’t deserve any benefits of the doubt. If he wins it all at LSU, ok then. I never shit on Herm, but I didn’t think people that did were wrong. That could be a top 15 program in the near team. Fuck. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remember it clearly. It was so weird that no one knew what the fuck was happening. I remember he set his buddy up for success at MSU and that guy turned it into a den of inequity. Everyone thought the move to LSU was weird. Seriously.

Texas owned LSU completely in the 2001 Cotton Bowl. I assumed Saban would be another LSU also-ran. Whoops. 

Saban at LSU, Carroll at USC and Rhule at Baylor. Every time someone wants to declare that so and so will fail at a school, I think of those guys immediately and think about how fucking wrong everyone is.

Guys potentially like that right now? Sir Edward Beauregard Orgeron, VI, and Herm Edwards. Ed O after Ole Miss didn’t deserve any benefits of the doubt. If he wins it all at LSU, ok then. I never shit on Herm, but I didn’t think people that did were wrong. That could be a top 15 program in the near team. Fuck. 

I think ASU wins the Pac 12 in 2021. Next year most of their offense will be comprised of underclassmen, but in ‘21 they’ll have quality, veteran players at nearly every position. Jayden Daniels is supremely talented and will at least be a Heisman finalist during his time there.

10 hours ago, irishtexan said:

The thing I don't fucking understand is what the fuck was Ash doing between when he was hired on December 15th, and yesterday, which was apparently his first day on the job? Just sitting around pulling his pud? Getting suckoffs from South Austin's mom? Having his head angles measured by his personal haberdasher for square fucking visors?

For fuck's sake man! Get to fucking work! Why in the fuck didn't we interview ANYONE for three and a half goddamn weeks? Not even the dopes that were already on staff! Jesus christ, they were sitting around in their offices in Bellmont! That's not being fucking deliberate or careful. It's being fucking lazy and stupid. He didn't even have to coach in the bowl game, for chrissakes!

Aight. I'm gonna go drink some whiskey to calm down.

sir this is a wendy's

• Like 5

4 hours ago, George Clooney said:

I think ASU wins the Pac 12 in 2021. Next year most of their offense will be comprised of underclassmen, but in ‘21 they’ll have quality, veteran players at nearly every position. Jayden Daniels is supremely talented and will at least be a Heisman finalist during his time there.

That may be the first 2 year Pac 12 projection I've ever seen in a Texas recruiting thread.

I'll bet you had 5 losses a game in high school. 

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Super common for a prospect decommit because a coach who isn’t his head coach, coordinator, or position coach might be leaving the school. It has nothing at all to do with the fact that the school in question is fucking Kansas. 

As someone who has driven through Kansas twice, I find this post extremely offensive. Reported

11 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Look, I'm not one to cast stones, especially since I incited the cheese fiasco of Summer '19, which really seemed to grate on some of you, but... wait, what are we talking about again?

so you're saying that wasn't any gouda? Ricotta be kidding me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Saw this on spurstalk

Per 24/7, RB Kevontre Bradford of Lancaster was offered by Texas before the early signing period.

Between that and Gibbs, it would appear the one coach at least sort of busting their ass on recruiting through the turmoil is... Drayton? Huh.

(also maybe Hand, given all his GT following on twitter)