Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Mike at Night

Spoiler

—It sounds like Texas is starting to organize a visit weekend around January 18th. I spoke to several recruits today that were planning to be in Austin for it. We’ll have a full visit list up on the website to correspond, but this is likely going to mirror the elite junior day visit Texas hosted a year ago. That invite-only event included a player panel speaking to the team, meeting with Matthew McConaughey, and attending a basketball game. Kansas is in town that day, so I’d expect basketball to be part of the mix.  Prospects such as Jake Majors, Vernon Broughton, and Prince Dorbah attended Texas for that visit and later signed with the Longhorns.

—So far, we’ve been able to put a preliminary list of names together. As always, we will keep a running list on our board and update as we go along. I’d expect the 2021 commits to be in attendance, and prospects such as Tommy Brockermeyer, James Brockermeyer, Quaydarius Davis, and Shemar Turner have confirmed their plans to attend. Texas will likely have most if not all of their coaching staff filled out, and the weekend will help them get off on the right foot with the 2021 class.

—247Sports’ Midlands Regional Analyst Gabe Brooks spoke to a source near Lancaster running back Kevontre Bradford. It sounds like Bradford is gearing up to figure out his final official visits. Bradford has three visits remaining, and it sounds like LSU will likely get one of them. Florida State is also likely in the running, and Texas will battle with Oklahoma State and Mizzou to get the last one. The source indicated to Gabe that Bradford was offered by Texas prior to the early signing period, but Bradford, who isn’t much for social media, didn’t announce it. Texas is going to have to make up some ground here, but if they can secure the last visit, they might be able to win out.

—I’ve been told that Texas is doing what they can to get back in with four-star Manor DL Princely Umanmielen. From what I understand, the communication hasn’t been reciprocated yet, but Texas would like to make getting him back a huge priority. With Matt Rhule leaving Baylor today, Texas might be a likely landing spot for him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

—I’ve been told that Texas is doing what they can to get back in with four-star Manor DL Princely Umanmielen. From what I understand, the communication hasn’t been reciprocated yet, but Texas would like to make getting him back a huge priority. With Matt Rhule leaving Baylor today, Texas might be a likely landing spot for him.

Spock hates this blurb.

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You guys are awfully insouciant about our recruiting position at this moment. Texas has done its damnedest to send Collins running screaming into the arms of alternative programs, such as OU and Bama. I still feel good about getting him, but the longer one allows uncertainty in the mind of a target, the longer that target has reason to wander. If you're comfortable with just letting Nick Saban make his arguments without counterpoints? Good for you.

There is still work to be done in this class. If the class winds up incomplete, you can do what you want, but I'll put it squarely on the nonchalance from the Head Narcissist In Charge. His behavior has been unbelievable since before arriving at Texas. We'll pay for an incomplete class in the future, too.

Herman has shown himself to be a functioning imbecile. He's done so in public. He called in to bitch at a radio commenter over the air. We've heard about all of the other things he had going in the past at OSU, much of which was corroborated by travel records. I've offered anecdotes about other shit he's done. Others have as well. He's flipped off live television. He is a fucking clown. If you don't think he's capable of ignoring a prior year's film, you're out of your mind. He ignored his own film and personnel choices on the field, clearly, for multiple seasons at Texas. He ignored input from multiple other sources about the staff he was bringing to Texas in the first place, and then he fucking ignored direction to push a few out after year one. He brought in Casey Horny and then dug in his heels on him and went so far as to recently float his name an on-field coaching candidate and trial ballooned that bullshit by having him shadow-run the special teams for the season. The notion that this goober is incapable of fucking off on the personnel front because he's pissed he had to let his boys go is fucking absurd. That's almost certainly an element to his approach right now. That's who he is.

The only reason you think this guy is above doing something stupid involving his staff is because you're putting him on a pedestal. You're doing that because he's a coach for a program you like, and you're succumbing to the halo effect. When Herman is inevitably fired for more stupid, obstinate and likely unnecessary shit in a year or two, you guys will be the same guys saying "yeah, we knew we were in trouble the day he showed up with Tim Beck and the UH staff". Untrue. You continue to give him the benefit of the doubt with his actions when none of it is merited. 

Herman talked Harrell back into his USC role and then was shocked when Harrell was fine taking less money to stay put. This is the hiring maneuver known in some parts as "The Noah Cain". But yeah, use logic as it pertains to emotional decisions being made in a high stakes game of poker between two alphas. 

The level of incompetence you proclaim is pretty incredible, including fucking up basic interpersonal relations.

How then would you explain his ascent to head coach at UT? 

dumb luck?

6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The level of incompetence you proclaim is pretty incredible, including fucking up basic interpersonal relations.

How then would you explain his ascent to head coach at UT? 

dumb luck?

I didn’t say he was holistically incompetent. I said he’s a functioning imbecile.  A confederacy of dunces could hire a functioning imbecile at Texas. It happens as a matter of habit this days within the AD and has been going on for the better part of the last four decades across most UT sports. 

Look at the amount of absolute idiots posting on this site. They’ve somehow accomplished acquiring or borrowing a computer device of some sort, gaining Internet access and finding this site, and then actually typing usually coherent, if poorly structured and poorly conceived, sentences in an ongoing conversation. Rubbing two sticks together isn’t as hard as once thought, I guess. 

247 / Gabe Brooks / Official visit plans for four-star athlete Kelvontay Dixon

Spoiler

Official visit plans for four-star athlete Kelvontay Dixon

Carthage (Texas) High School 2020 four-star athlete Kelvontay Dixon was committed for several months to Arkansas before re-opening his recruitment in mid-November following Chad Morris' firing as the Razorbacks' head coach.

Now it looks like Arkansas could get another shot at the 6-foot, 180-pound Dixon, who told 247Sports on Wednesday that he has tentative plans for three official visits this month.

Dixon has already set an official visit for the weekend of Jan. 31 for Texas, which is the overwhelming leader at this time on the 247Sports Crystal Ball (100 percent of nine predictions). But Dixon also said he plans to take a Jan. 17 weekend official visit to Arkansas.

The Jan. 24 weekend could see Dixon make an official visit to UTSA, which is where Dixon's previous primary recruiter at Arkansas -- Jeff Traylor -- now serves as the Roadrunners' head coach. Dixon said he hopes that he can make that schedule work -- Arkansas, UTSA, and Texas official visits in chronological order. However, he emphasized that it is a tentative schedule and things could change.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Dixon as a four-star recruit ranked No. 15 nationally among 2020 athlete prospects and No. 50 overall regardless of position in the state of Texas for his class. The 247Sports rankings put Dixon higher in both categories: No. 10 nationally among 2020 athletes and No. 35 overall in the Lone Star State.

Dixon, who owns a 10.71-second personal best in the 100 meters, served as Carthage High's top playmaker the past two seasons. The younger brother of Texas running back Keaontay Ingram, Dixon accounted for more than 2,500 receiving yards and almost 40 touchdown catches as Carthage went 30-1 in 2018-19.

As a senior in 2019, Dixon caught 73 passes for 1,223 yards and 20 touchdowns, while rushing 32 times for 234 yards and two TD's for the 16-0 Texas Class 4A Division I state championship team. Dixon's junior campaign saw him snag 84 balls for 1,288 yards and 17 scores. He's averaged 16.0 yards per catch the last two years.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

CDC:  How did the booster lunch go, Tom?

Herman: It was fine except for the guy who keeps trying to give me Rorschach tests by asking me what I see in the pies on the dessert tray.  I’m pretty sure he also implied I want to have sex with my mother, and I think he tried to spike my Red Bull vodka with Prozac, too.  

CDC:  Yeah, I thought that might happen.  Let me know if it becomes a problem, but try to keep your cool because we’re angling for him to donate for a new sports psychology department and building.  We’re not clear yet on whether he wants us to prevent sociopathy or harvest it in our athletes ... but, hey, it’s the same money either way.

Herman:  Ok, cool.  Well, it’s not anything I can’t handle.  I just find him tedious, that is all.  He’s a classic narcissist so I see everything coming from him a mile away.  I’ve got it all figured out.  You see, I’ve dealt with enough coelenterates in my time - by the way, Webster’s dictionary defines coelenterate as ...

CDC:  Oh look at the time.  I gotta go, but so glad you got it all figured out.  Ciao.  By the way, in Italian “ciao” means, “Lose to Baylor again and you’re fucking fired.”

36b666675470ab8368a075fd2643dffb.gif&f=1

CTJ not happy with you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

247 / Gabe Brooks / Official visit plans for four-star athlete Kelvontay Dixon

Reveal hidden contents

Official visit plans for four-star athlete Kelvontay Dixon

Carthage (Texas) High School 2020 four-star athlete Kelvontay Dixon was committed for several months to Arkansas before re-opening his recruitment in mid-November following Chad Morris' firing as the Razorbacks' head coach.

Now it looks like Arkansas could get another shot at the 6-foot, 180-pound Dixon, who told 247Sports on Wednesday that he has tentative plans for three official visits this month.

Dixon has already set an official visit for the weekend of Jan. 31 for Texas, which is the overwhelming leader at this time on the 247Sports Crystal Ball (100 percent of nine predictions). But Dixon also said he plans to take a Jan. 17 weekend official visit to Arkansas.

The Jan. 24 weekend could see Dixon make an official visit to UTSA, which is where Dixon's previous primary recruiter at Arkansas -- Jeff Traylor -- now serves as the Roadrunners' head coach. Dixon said he hopes that he can make that schedule work -- Arkansas, UTSA, and Texas official visits in chronological order. However, he emphasized that it is a tentative schedule and things could change.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Dixon as a four-star recruit ranked No. 15 nationally among 2020 athlete prospects and No. 50 overall regardless of position in the state of Texas for his class. The 247Sports rankings put Dixon higher in both categories: No. 10 nationally among 2020 athletes and No. 35 overall in the Lone Star State.

Dixon, who owns a 10.71-second personal best in the 100 meters, served as Carthage High's top playmaker the past two seasons. The younger brother of Texas running back Keaontay Ingram, Dixon accounted for more than 2,500 receiving yards and almost 40 touchdown catches as Carthage went 30-1 in 2018-19.

As a senior in 2019, Dixon caught 73 passes for 1,223 yards and 20 touchdowns, while rushing 32 times for 234 yards and two TD's for the 16-0 Texas Class 4A Division I state championship team. Dixon's junior campaign saw him snag 84 balls for 1,288 yards and 17 scores. He's averaged 16.0 yards per catch the last two years.

This is a weird mix, Traylor or no Traylor.  

2 hours ago, T&T’s Dad said:

Holy shit, the Surl has been brutal the last few days...  Some of you guys seriously need to get laid or at least mainline some bourbon or something.
At the very least though, it's been an entertaining read.

it's the quest for M.

• Like 1

This must be Groundhog Day. Check the exciting recruiting thread, yikes. Go back a page, more yikes. Off to the football board. If you ever wanted to teach your kid how to correctly and quickly skim a page, the last two days on here would be perfect to use. 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Mike at Night

Hide contents

—247Sports’ Midlands Regional Analyst Gabe Brooks spoke to a source near Lancaster running back Kevontre Bradford. It sounds like Bradford is gearing up to figure out his final official visits. Bradford has three visits remaining, and it sounds like LSU will likely get one of them. Florida State is also likely in the running, and Texas will battle with Oklahoma State and Mizzou to get the last one. The source indicated to Gabe that Bradford was offered by Texas prior to the early signing period, but Bradford, who isn’t much for social media, didn’t announce it. Texas is going to have to make up some ground here, but if they can secure the last visit, they might be able to win out.

I predict that LSU ends up with Bradford after Gibbs sticks with Ga Tech

33 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

why are we struggling to land a players brother on this team?  (dixon)  not katfids brotha

a) Because Mehringer was handling that recruitment before (barf)

b) Coach Surratt at Carthage is supposed to be big on pushing kids to take their time and really evaluate their options. Which makes sense.

Edited by texifornia

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Carrington has been RTing some of Moore's tweets. I think he's returning but that's a total guess. 

Wait a second. Wait a gosh danged second here, sir! I’ve been told definitively and repeatedly by the denizens of this site that Moore was gone, no way around it. What you’re saying simply cannot be. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

I know we are, but CTJ's still stuck on those whitepapers he read 15 years ago when his startup was about to go bust.

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

He is our resident personality disorder.

Your love for me is unrequited, fatkid. I hope coming to that understanding doesn’t send you into some profanity-laced, racist tirade, but there is simply another. 

Also, the start-up did not go bust, fucker. And I’m very current on the latest and greatest in the areas of psychology that apply to my work. 

• Like 1

Wait a second. Wait a gosh danged second here, sir! I’ve been told definitively and repeatedly by the denizens of this site that Moore was gone, no way around it. What you’re saying simply cannot be. 

I’ve often repeated it, but as quotes and not opinion. I think it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Especially considering the lack of effort to chase a wr late for a pretty slim room.