Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Fridays in the Humidor: 1/10/2020 (Part I)

By: Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

The longest staff reshuffle in history continues as Tom Herman seeks out coaches for wide receiver, tight end, defensive line, linebacker, and probably cornerback and running back.

Tom Herman and his coordinators are being very thorough. Chris Ash even had Oscar Giles "interview." Giles of course is being retained. The name being entertained to join Giles on the D-line is another former Longhorn player, Frank Okam. Okam's unit put up a very impressive performance this year. He has a good and growing reputation. I have no clue where Okam will end up. I think there's potential for him to go with Matt Rhule, stay with the new Baylor head coach (especially if Joey McGuire gets the top spot), or jump to Texas. Things could pick up in a hurry in one direction, or stay in a holding pattern.

Current corners coach Jason Washington also interviewed. We're not bullish on Washington staying. The only name we've heard, and one that's been reported elsewhere (first by The Football Braniacs) is Jay Valai who is at Rutgers. Valai was a good safety for Ash at Wisconsin. He isn't exactly a "name" so if Ash brings him on I'll assume he has great potential. I'll also assume he's a great technical coach. Otherwise, why make the switch?

Here is an exhaustive list of names we've heard for linebackers coach: I have no idea who they're looking at for the very important linebacker opening.

Wide receiver and tight end seem to be intertwined, or at least there's the potential for it. We've heard Kansas wide receivers coach Emmett Jones is open to coaching positions other than wide receiver. Perhaps he could fit at tight end. Texas needs to improve its recruiting presence in Dallas and Jones would offer help.

We think wide receiver or tight end is also possible for interim wide receivers coach, Andre Coleman. As we've reported for going on a month, the players are fond of Coleman. It isn't just his demeanor, they feel like they have learned a lot from him in a short time.

Then there's Houston's Tyron Carrier. Carrier was very close to going to Georgia two years ago, at which point hiring him would be difficult. One of my HS contacts offered up a name Texas should look at for receivers coach. When I told him Texas might get Carrier, his response was, "wow." He quit recommending his friend and went on to offer glowing remarks about Carrier. "He's a good fit for Texas. Coaches hard but players love him. Will keep talent in state too." Is he a good technical coach? "He really is."

Texas can't go wrong at wide receiver coach. With teaching and recruiting in mind, Herman and Yurcich have lined up really good options. Yurcich is said to be fond of Carrier -- that's just in general and preceding this hiring process. The two have overlap with Holgorsen's influence on their offensive upbringing. As far as a coach who has been overseeing tight ends for some time, we haven't heard any names. Tight end is integral to the offense so whoever they put there is going to have to be able to teach the position as well as the offense in general. UT's greatest talents at the position are still raw.

We think running backs coach Stan Drayton will take the same role with America's Team brought to you by Jerry Jones. He would be reunited with Zeke Elliott, not be expected to recruit, and would be joining a brand new staff with a new lease on life. Not bad work if you can get it.

This development is coming out of nowhere so we don't know which direction Herman will go. You want a recruiter at the position but you also have to get young backs up to speed, namely five-star Bijan Robinson. Ra'Shaad Samples could possibly fit but you'd have to hire a sage running backs coach for the support staff. Either that or Herman would have to offer significant oversight.

A former Texas player shot me a text offering the name of another former Texas player the staff should look at. Normally when a former player's name is thrown about, that player isn't qualified, but I think we'd all agree that Ricky Williams Jay Boulware is. He's been at OU since 2013 and has extensive experience with special teams as well.

Who knows how any of this unfolds? Texas has a showcase recruiting event in 8 days, so I'm expecting a frenzied week ahead leading into an enthusiastic weekend meet and greet. In fact, that would be good timing as Texas tries to regain lost momentum on the recruiting trail.

STRONG, SMART, and ....

Remember that meme? "Our coaches are Strong, Smart, and blah blah blah." What was clever for about five minutes went on to be overplayed real quick. That stuff doesn't work when you aren't winning. Shaka Smart is not winning and it would be a big surprise if he's able to steer out of the skid. We mentioned coaching changes were coming in football when the team was 4-2. You can imagine what the sentiment is behind the scenes right now.

The name to keep an eye on will be the obvious one, but Chris Beard will be expensive and he's created a comfortable existence in Lubbock. We're not sure if he'd leave, even though he is a graduate of UT and began is coaching career in Austin. We lean towards yes if the school is financially committed, but that's a big commitment, on top of getting out of another big commitment.

But but but both Shaka and Beard are 10-4! They sure are.

POSITION SWITCH

Here's a nugget. I'll draw up sourced depth chart speculation for part II, but for now I'll leave you with: Malcolm Epps, tight end. As you know from reading Ian's Game Plan, this is a vertical offense and Epps has greater utility at tight end. He'll obviously have to become a much more physical player.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

While i don't like the idea of Samples as the WR coach - he would be an intriguing option to replace Drayton, should he leave.

Also excited about the possibility of Jones at TE (or RB) if this report that he'd be willing to coach other positions is accurate.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

5 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Epps to TE makes sense if you just read his measurements but once you watch him play you realize he is soft and not a fighter enough for TE. . 

He’s too soft to play outside receiver. I’m sure he will do great once he is asked to block linebackers and defensive linemen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Epps to TE makes sense if you just read his measurements but once you watch him play you realize he is soft and not a fighter enough for TE. . 

TE is the perfect spot for Epps because he's a pussy and he can disappear on the depth chart and hopefully portal out sooner than later. This is a wonderful development. One less bitch to take reps from actual talented WRs. We obviously can't speak to the acumen of the new WR coach, but I see nothing but positive in removing the temptation of being the guy who makes Epps into a star before they arrive. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The only name we've heard, and one that's been reported elsewhere (first by The Football Braniacs) is Jay Valai who is at Rutgers. Valai was a good safety for Ash at Wisconsin. He isn't exactly a "name" so if Ash brings him on I'll assume he has great potential. I'll also assume he's a great technical coach. 

exciting!

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

TE is the perfect spot for Epps because he's a pussy and he can disappear on the depth chart and hopefully portal out sooner than later. This is a wonderful development. One less bitch to take reps from actual talented WRs. We obviously can't speak to the acumen of the new WR coach, but I see nothing but positive in removing the temptation of being the guy who makes Epps into a star before they arrive. 

Agree. I support the move and look fwd to seeing Epps split out as a featured receiver from TE position as a more electric true WR sits on sidelines watching as Herman refuses to place best 11 guys on the field. 

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I was surprised to learn Round Rock WR Collin Sullivan has not yet signed. Might become a late cycle target.

https://247sports.com/player/collin-sullivan-46037998/

His 247 page says he signed on 12/18 and he’s listed on Purdue’s official roster.

Edited by Burt Macklin

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Epps  too soft to out-physcial smaller DBs and too slow to go past them, and he can't block. 

This is just step 1 in the inevitable. 

He really is a throwback to the big receivers Bobby Kennedy and Mack used to love who ended up not having a position.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Normally when a former player's name is thrown about, that player isn't qualified, but I think we'd all agree that Ricky Williams Jay Boulware is.

I'm interpreting this to mean that Ricky thinks Texas should hire Jay Boulware away from Blow U.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

I have no clue...

Things could pick up in a hurry in one direction, or stay in a holding pattern.

The only name we've heard, and one that's been reported elsewhere...

I'll assume...

I have no idea who they're looking at...

we haven't heard any names...

we don't know which direction Herman will go...

Who knows how any of this unfolds?

We're not sure...

Bang up job today, guys. Just really great content here.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah that makes me much happier than Valai at least: https://uhcougars.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/tyron-carrier/531

I mean, Emmett Jones was the reputed leader for weeks now, per insiders. With what you've witnessed here under Herman, do you REALLY fucking feel confident proclaiming it as Carrier at this point? 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, Emmett Jones was the reputed leader for weeks now, per insiders. With what you've witnessed here under Herman, do you REALLY fucking feel confident proclaiming it as Carrier at this point? 

Oh I'm not, I'm just surfing off of @Ricky's one-hitter's optimism and trying not to drive myself to heavy drinking quite this early in the weekend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm sure there's a wr coach somewhere who used to work at Rutgers.