Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

47 minutes ago, pacman said:

How much can we put uou down for? Got 15,000 to buy us a linebacker or two.

I’ll renew my season tickets, watch the MOCs newest movie, buy a new dri fit or polo, post some more office gifs on Surly and let the big swinging dicks do their thingmichael scott wink GIF

45 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Imagine being so Dal-usional that you think Euless is an applicable comparison to the greatest city in Texas

Hey, I lived in Euless about 10 years ago. It was great cause i was about 5 minutes from the airport. That was was the only reason I lived there. So yeah...it sucked.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jesus Christ it's the Metroplex they're all identical beige suburbs. At least Houston is interesting and diverse and has kickass food.

I’ve also lived in the Houston suburbs and they are the same as the Dallas suburbs.  The two areas are far more similar than they are different, despite what honks on the internet proclaim. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, randygilman said:

Imagine being so Dal-usional that you think Euless is an applicable comparison to the greatest city in Texas

I agree that it doesn’t come close to austin.  still several levels above that bloated coastal backwater above galveston, though. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

As a native Houstonian I’d like to state that DFW has excellent food as well.

Agreed. For that matter, all of the major Texas metros have excellent food quality and diversity. Leave Texas and you'll figure it out without a doubt. New Mexico clamoring about their green chiles and Louisiana touting their Cajun gets old quickly. 

44 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve also lived in the Houston suburbs and they are the same as the Dallas suburbs.  The two areas are far more similar than they are different, despite what honks on the internet proclaim. 

Pot meet kettle. Alternatively, kettle meet pot.

• Like 1

Here’s a write-up on Rakestraw from Dawg Nation. It mentions his performances against Rakim Jarrett and Smith-Njigba as well as Quay Davis. I’ve looked for Davis’ stats from the Skyline v Duncanville game before and couldn’t find them. Now I now why. Rakestraw held Davis to 2 yards. 

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/ennis-rakestraw-jr-hes-the-feel-good-recruiting-story-of-2020-if-there-ever-was-one

Here’s a play from that game...

32 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So a CB who plays on the team of our QB1a commit shut down another player we are recruiting and we didn’t offer the CB until a day ago?

In the immortal words of Looch, "That's what you call REAL recruiting and it bodes VERY well for the future..."

That was for Jimbo but it can be applied to Herman here. 

47 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So a CB who plays on the team of our QB1a commit shut down another player we are recruiting and we didn’t offer the CB until a day ago?

Well he weighs like 155 so it’s somewhat understandable. It’s not like he’s a 5 star. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

If we'd offered a 3 star DB months ago everyone would've lost their damn minds

Not to mention that he plays for Duncanville - a school recruited by every college coach in the country - and his offers only started coming in a couple of weeks ago (Alabama offered 3 days ago).

• Like 1

In fairness, our previous coaches were busy being fired and our new coaches have been busy not being hired, so things have been a bit busy and some offers might have slipped through the cracks.
  • Like 1

The majority of the "serach" appears to focus on a) the occupants of football offices on campus b) past associates from Rutgers or other places

In case you hadn't heard, the elite of the elite in the coaching world have secretly been hiding out on our support staff or coaching at Rutgers just waiting on these Texas jobs to open. It's really quite genius how we've kept them hidden under the radar like this just so no other schools could snatch them up.

Kind of reminds me of how when Herman was putting together his first staff, the elite of the elite coaches in America just so happened to be guys with him at Houston or who he'd coached with in the past. Mensa indeed, always having the very best guys available be guys close by who you happen to know very well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What a joke.  I'm not saying I'm against this, just that if it is Coleman, why not name him after Mehringer was fired which would have pretty much kept QJ in the class.  Unbelievable.

Herman/Ash have gone for comfort hires this whole process and it still took them over a month to do it. Just pitiful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Herman/Ash have gone for comfort hires this whole process and it still took them over a month to do it. Just pitiful.

Yeah like I said I'm not against this guy being the WR coach.  Played in the NFL, coached under the Purple Wizard, and seemed to have kept the WR from revolting.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah like I said I'm not against this guy being the WR coach.  Played in the NFL, coached under the Purple Wizard, and seemed to have kept the WR from revolting.

Coleman has earned this job - but it should have happened 6 weeks ago if it was going to happen.  

You know the spin is going to be that Herman interviewed candidates across the country but none were better than what he already had on staff.

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What a joke.  I'm not saying I'm against this, just that if it is Coleman, why not name him after Mehringer was fired which would have pretty much kept QJ in the class.  Unbelievable.

Guys are turning down jobs here, it’s the only logical explanation. A good portion of this board thinks Herman is a dead man walking, it’s not far fetched to think other coaches feel the same way.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

So Okam doesn't know who his DC or head coach are going to be, but he might still prefer staying at Baylor, as opposed to returning to coach at his alma mater - THE Univ. of Texas?

Lulz.

He could want to come here, just doesn’t want to be attached to this shitshow. Hoping to get hired by the new coach next year