Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

5 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Did you look at that map? Because you are very wrong. 11 in Austin and 7 in Houston.

Sorry, didn't realize this statement would be looked at under a microscope.  I just counted the number under "Austin" vs the number under "Houston."

Long story short, yes, Houston has Torchy's.  No need to further derail this thread.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster

31 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Sorry, didn't realize this statement would be looked at under a microscope.  I just counted the number under "Austin" vs the number under "Houston."

Long story short, yes, Houston has Torchy's.  No need to further derail this thread.  

You have offended Bolero88 with your nonchalance and poor due diligence, sir. There is going to be hell to pay. You cannot, and you shall not!, run and hide.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

No such thing as derailing when the page count is under 1,000.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great point. We'll get to the in-depth recruiting discussions AFTER page 1000, but not one moment before!

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT Scoop

Hide contents

Texas:
“This recruiting class for the offensive line is really good. I know a few, I met up with some at the Auburn vs. Oregon game like Tommy Brockermeyer."

maybe if yall food nazis would actually read recruiting content, you'd see Savion Byrd just called Tommy Brockermeyer a Texas commit. 

• Like 3

The Stampede: Texas prepares for big visit weekend

The dead period lifts on January 16th, and Texas will open the final recruiting stretch with a massive visit weekend. Texas coaches can hit the road on Thursday, and visitors will begin making their way to Austin this weekend.  The Longhorns are still in the process of a coaching search, and despite a few reported hires, no assistant coaches have been officially announced.

As the Texas staff continues to come together and fill the open holes, this weekend’s visit will be a huge meet and greet event with the staff. Texas will try to get ahead with the priority 2021 and 2022 targets on the board. Over the weekend, we were able to gather some notes on multiple prospects within the 2020, 2021, and 2022 classes in order to ascertain where Texas stands in their respective recruitments.  The recruiting machine will power back on this week, and it should be working overtime until February's signing day.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we’ll update where things stand with several prospects on the 2020 board and take a look ahead to 2021 and the massive recruiting opportunity this weekend.

Matt Rhule leaving for the NFL could be a positive for Texas and their defensive line recruiting moving forward. A source I spoke with near Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins informed me that Rhule leaving Baylor is as close to a death knell for the Bears as there is. Baylor was in the mix along with Alabama and Oklahoma, and it would seem that there are now three for Collins. If Texas were to hire Baylor defensive tackle coach Frank Okam, it would only weaken Baylor more while strengthening Texas. Collins is still set to make a decision on signing day in February, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him back at Texas for an unofficial visit.

Rhule’s departure could also impact Manor defensive lineman Princely Umanmielen, but Texas has some work to do there. The former Longhorn commit is a target that Chris Ash is keen on acquiring, but it sounds like the interest wasn’t immediately reciprocated. As Texas works to get back into that race, they will have to get him back on campus for an unofficial visit. Florida is scheduled to receive a visit from Umanmielen on the 24th, and he would still have a fifth official visit to use elsewhere. I don’t have a clear picture regarding where Umanmielen is leaning at this point.

Tucker (Ga.) cornerback Isaiah Dunson locked in his official visit to Texas and he informed Horns247 he’d be in town on January 24th. Expect Dunson to be hosted by Kenyatta Watson as the Longhorns utilize one Georgia cornerback to reel in another. Dunson’s visit could also provide an opportunity to see reported cornerback coach Jay Valai in action on the recruiting front.  I'm still checking with Dunson to see what schools will provide the most opposition, but Texas has a chance to secure another big corner from Georgia.

Speaking of cornerback targets, Texas offered Duncanville cornerback Ennis Rakestraw. Rakestraw’s stock shot through the roof during the playoffs following several impressive performances this year. Rakestraw has three official visits set running up to signing day, so any visit to Texas would need to be a mid-week. Rakestraw told me he would talk to Texas to find out when he can fit the visit within his schedule. Sources near Rakestraw told me that Texas was an offer he’d been waiting on for some time, and sources in Austin feel optimistic on their chances. Still, they will have to withstand a whirlwind of recruiting visits, and Rakestraw called Alabama his dream school when the Crimson Tide offered. I’d expect Ja’Quinden Jackson to be involved as much as possible, and I’m told this will be a priority for the staff.

I spoke to several sources near Lancaster running back Kevontre Bradford, and it seems that Texas still has some work to do. An LSU source indicated to me that Bradford was a huge priority for the Tigers, and Oklahoma State appears to be a big darkhorse. Texas will need to not only get Bradford on campus, but they will also have to flip the perception once they do. If Texas can’t land Bradford, they will either have to scramble to identify another running back or go without a second option.

I spoke at length with Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis over the weekend. You may have recently seen some pro-Texas activity on his social media lately, and Davis wasn’t shy about letting me know that Texas is still high up for him. How high is it? Davis told me on the record that Texas was still the leader in his recruitment despite his decommitment. Davis has been in contact with Texas head coach Tom Herman, and he recently had a child. Davis told me he called Herman last week to let him know that there was a new Longhorn in the family. Davis will likely try to stay close to home to care for his daughter, so Texas looks to be in a great position now. Davis also told me he admired Jalen Milroe as a quarterback and that he wanted to go to school with a guy he could trust to get him the ball. I’d expect Davis to stretch things out over the year and announce on signing day next December, but anything could change with the way his recruitment has played out so far.

In December I was told the contact between Texas and 2021 Kennedale safety JD Coffey went cold. Coffey told me last week that he hadn’t heard from Texas in a while, but Chris Ash reached out this week to invite him into town. Coffey said that Notre Dame and Stanford have been the schools with the heaviest contact, but this is a race Texas can win if they push for the DFW ara safety hard enough.

2021 cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem is a name you’ll want to be familiar with. The Dallas Kimball prospect is one of the top cover corners in the state, and he will have the chance to be rated as one of the top players in the state of Texas. Ibraheem had a great relationship with Jason Washington, and he admitted that Texas would drop in his recruitment if Washington wasn’t retained. Ibraheem told me this weekend that he will visit Texas on the 18th, and he’s interested in meeting the new defensive staff before he decides where anything stands.

In case you missed it, Texas missed the top five cut for 2021 Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle this week. The Longhorns were one of the first to offer Earle, and Texas held the edge for a long time. In fact, sources indicated that Earle was close to committing to Texas during the fall. Staff turnover and uncertainty around the program caused Texas to drop out of the top group, and they were replaced by an Oklahoma program that offered this week. The good thing for Texas is, the state is heavy on slot receivers in 2021 with plenty of quality options. I’m sure the Longhorns will try to get back in the race for Earle, but as for now it appears, they are on the outside looking in.

Perhaps the biggest priority for Texas this weekend will be to re-establish some position with Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer. It’s no secret that Texas allowed other schools in their recruitment to catch up over the last few months. They aren’t going to be the type of family to be swayed over one visit, but Texas can begin building some positive momentum to hold off the SEC programs that made their way into the recruitment.

I had the chance to spend some time with 2022 Arlington Bowie OL Devon Campbell this weekend. Texas offered him very early, and Campbell said he talks with Herb Hand as much as is allowed by NCAA rules. Campbell said he can tell by the attention that Texas is extremely high on him, and right now he’s not thinking of many other schools. Florida State offered yesterday, and he’s likely to pick up a ton of other offers during the spring, but Texas has a chance to open up a big lead this weekend when Campbell visits.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

once again, random parachute in to the recruiting megathread for the first time in a week or two to just see what the random topic generator is pumping out on the most recent page does not disappoint.  excellent work, gents.

this page is certainly a step up from when the cheese puns were flying high.

Edited by sidis
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I spoke at length with Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis over the weekend. You may have recently seen some pro-Texas activity on his social media lately, and Davis wasn’t shy about letting me know that Texas is still high up for him. How high is it? Davis told me on the record that Texas was still the leader in his recruitment despite his decommitment. Davis has been in contact with Texas head coach Tom Herman, and he recently had a child.

I hope we're not going to have to out-child-care Georgia to get him.