Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

13 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Hutzler would actually be a great hire. SCar's linebackers are well-regarded in every game preview write up I've seen involving them. He also recruited Zacch Pickens, among other great players, last year.

https://247sports.com/Player/Zacch-Pickens-87363/high-school-160411/

Oh ya?  So then we should expect Pickens to portal to Texas soon 

57 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Hutzler would actually be a great hire. SCar's linebackers are well-regarded in every game preview write up I've seen involving them. He also recruited Zacch Pickens, among other great players, last year.

https://247sports.com/Player/Zacch-Pickens-87363/high-school-160411/

Did he offer that kid with the long neck who had his own thread? Need to know if he can evaluate talent like our posters

edit: Payton Wilson, to be clear

Edited by TommyGufano

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

relevant bit:

1. Texas — Things have been very up and down for Tom Herman and company in this class and all year on the field, but there is a ton of talent left in here. The quarterback position has been well addressed and Bijan Robinson is going to be a star, but some of the defensive commitments really have me more excited for Texas fans. Vernon Broughton and others will help this defense early.

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

If the staff can reel back Princely into this class.. This DL haul would be the best we have seen in the Tom and Charlie era.  Collins, Welsh, VB, Princely, Dorbah is a hell of a nucleus to work with.

Did Alfred Collins commit? I sure as shit ain't counting that egg as a chicken. Dude seems to be looking for a reason to commit anywhere other than Texas. And we seem to want to give him that reason with this chucklefuck of a coaching search.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Did Alfred Collins commit? I sure as shit ain't counting that egg as a chicken. Dude seems to be looking for a reason to commit anywhere other than Texas. And we seem to want to give him that reason with this chucklefuck of a coaching search.

If Herman gets Okam, will that be enough?  IMO Collins is coming here, regardless

IT early enrolee perspectives

Spoiler

For the life of me I cannot remember a large group of early enrollees who won't be needed early on.

Perspective: A few years ago we'd be pouring over the below collection of signees wondering how much they can help as true freshmen. That includes the quarterback, an offensive lineman or two, and expecting Vernon Broughton to make an immediate impact. Because the depth chart is in good health, expectations for early playing time should be tempered across the board.

In the coming days these players will begin their college football odyssey. It's a time for optimism, but it's also a time for them to get to work, put their head down, and buy into consistently doing what it takes to succeed when you're no longer the best player on the field. This should be a humbling next few months.

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (Austin, TX)

He's as capable as Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger before him to play as a freshman but barring a run of injuries he'll be allowed to redshirt and soak in as much knowledge and calories as possible. Card's long been known as having a slight build but as a concern that has been blown out of proportion. He's a densely built kid who hasn't been afforded the opportunity to focus on offseason like many others. In recent months he's put on some size and that will continue as he falls into a sound regimen of eating and working out. The work Card puts in now will get him ready to serve as an emergency quarterback in 2020 but he's really preparing to compete to start in 2021.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin (Sugar Land, TX)

From this group Omeire has the best chance to make a freshman impact. He's physically advanced, meaning he can compensate for some technical deficiencies, and the depth chart is open for competition. Learning the playbook and getting on the same page with the quarterbacks based on what the defense is doing will be his biggest obstacle to playing time but he's always struck me as a sharp kid. It's uncertain how new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich will want to deploy his "types" but Omeire was a boundary X all the way based on recent offenses. With the emphasis on getting vertical it'll be interesting to see how Omeire's speed translates. He's never been a merchant but he showed more explosiveness as a senior than he did as a junior. With more S&C he may yet hit another gear. He should contribute as a freshman.

OL Jake Majors, Prosper (Prosper, TX)

Texas desperately needed a center in the 2020 class and found a good one in Majors. He'll need time to transition to the position but given how most centers played elsewhere in high school, that's normal. It's quietly one of the most demanding positions on the field both mentally and physically. Majors will need to add weight to anchor, muscle memory to snap, time to learn line calls, and reps on the field to put it all together. Up first will be continuing to mend from recent surgery on his ring finger. Hopefully the surgery was to reinforce structure to carry the weight of a Big 12 Championship ring.

OL Logan Parr, O'Connor (San Antonio, TX)

Parr could also play center but with Majors in the mix he'll be allowed to focus on guard. The interior o-line depth chart is pretty solid, about as solid as the 6-4, 290-pound Parr. For an offensive lineman, he doesn't carry much bad weight. Adding some heft will be a goal but he shouldn't rush it. Parr will want to focus on learning the playbook and adding power to a build designed to hold a lot of it.

DT Sawyer Goram-Welch, Longview (Longview, TX)

Sawyer Goram-Welch is a defensive lineman all the way but for these purposes you treat him like a young offensive lineman by redshirting and developing him. There are a lot of bodies in front of him on the d-line. By the time the roster thins at his position he should be ready to contribute. He'll offer good flexibility to play 3- or 4-man fronts.

DE Vernon Broughton, Cypress Ridge (Houston, TX)

It's time to put down the purple Planet Fitness weights and replace tricep extensions with squats and deadlifts. Yancy McKnight is going to harness Vernon's considerable work ethic in a more productive manner and start the process of turning the former basketball player into a difference making defensive lineman. I haven't been this excited about a defensive lineman since Hassan Ridgeway. While I'm incredibly high on Broughton's upside, I think fans should temper immediate expectations, though his ability to play from 5-tech to NT should help him steal some early reps his first season. It's time to reshape VB's body and make him more functional.

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX)
S Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin (Lufkin, TX)

These two are in very similar situations. Safety is loaded for the foreseeable future and they need to have some patience. Not playing will be a tough adjustment for two players who have been starring for years. Both are going to enter the program with the proper mindset and embrace the grind. Alford's knee injury that derailed his senior season is nearly healed (he was begging coaches at the All-American game to let him play) so he should be ready for workouts. He has a naturally narrow build and I think it would be worth trying him at corner first. These are smart, savvy beyond their years football players. I'd try and redshirt both if they're not needed on special teams. They don't profile to early entrants and could one day offer extremely high football IQ at a position that really benefits from it.

This is a strong group. They represent a bright future, but further down the line than next year and that's a telling positive of where the roster is.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Does anyone know his stance on tackling? For or against? 

Point your helmet at the other guy's helmet and launch upwards into it.  It's a very effective method.

Edited by JBJ

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

So is Majors expected to be our starting Center next year? I certainly hope not.

He has been floated as a guy with immediate playing potential and someone who likely ends up at center, but it's a stretch to have him there next year.

26 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Majors will need to add weight to anchor, muscle memory to snap, time to learn line calls, and reps on the field to put it all together. Up first will be continuing to mend from recent surgery on his ring finger. Hopefully the surgery was to reinforce structure to carry the weight of a Big 12 Championship ring.

Is this really necessary IT?

• Like 1

It's going to be so fucking weird not having to depend on True Freshman. 

2018 2 deep Freshman

Keontay, Eagles, Jamison, Cosmi (RS), Ossai, Boyce (RS), Sterns, Foster, Cook

2017 2 deep Freshman

Sam, Hemphill-Mapps (RS), Brewer, Urquidez, Hudson (RS), Graham, Thompson

2016 2 deep Freshman

Buechele, Porter, Lil'Jordan, Duvernay, Colin Johnson, Shackelford, Wilbon, Roach, Townsend, McCulloch, B. Jones

I could see Bijan being mixed in, but is there anyone else?

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

2018 2 deep Freshman

2017 2 deep Freshman

2016 2 deep Freshman

Buechele, Porter, Lil'Jordan, Duvernay, Colin Johnson, Shackelford, Wilbon, Roach, Townsend, McCulloch, B. Jones

Hopefully Liebrock brings some pop and actual talent to TE.

Wait just saw you said True

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I could see Crawford and perhaps Alford getting some snaps - and certainly expect one or both on ST. 

I could see Hullaby, Thompson, Ford, possibly Dorbah (I hope he RS but you never know what a kid wants) playing ST as well, I guess. 

53 minutes ago, MoJames said:

2018 2 deep Freshman

2017 2 deep Freshman

2016 2 deep Freshman

This makes me so happy 

22 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Wait, was the interview and hiring done during the AFCA conference? How could anyone have guessed at that timeline? 

You’re either dedicated to being surly or you’re not. I suggest you take some time to reflect on what you truly want to be, correct or a dedicated member of the board.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

He has been floated as a guy with immediate playing potential and someone who likely ends up at center, but it's a stretch to have him there next year.

Who is saying Majors has immediate playing potential?

He’s underweight and too weak to anchor against college DL right now. He likely won’t be ready to play until 2021 at the earliest. 

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Who is saying Majors has immediate playing potential?

***Sources*** 

But it was a poor wording:

"He has been floated as a guy with early playing potential...but it's a stretch to have him there next year."

Edited by JBJ