Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Roach with the most lukewarm boring Roach article he could possibly write on Hutzler 

Spoiler

Texas announced today the official hiring of linebacker coach Coleman Hutzler. The former South Carolina assistant has a resume that took him all over the country. He began his coaching career at the University of San Diego and then moved to Stanford to work as a recruiting assistant for Jim Harbaugh.

Hutzler went on to work at New Mexico, Florida, Boston College, and South Carolina before being hired at Texas. A Las Vegas native, Hutzler has the connections to be a coast-to-coast recruiter.

While at South Carolina, Hutzler was responsible for recruiting parts of Georgia, including the Atlanta metro area. In 2020, Hutzler was largely responsible for landing four-star inside linebacker Mohamed Kaba away from hometown North Carolina State. An All-American Bowl participant, Kaba attributed his relationship with Hutzler as the main reason he committed to and stuck with South Carolina despite a tumultuous season.

In speaking with several sources in the coaching world, I was told that Hutzler is well-liked and forms strong relationships with recruits and their families. Hale McGranahan of The Big Spur, 247Sports’ South Carolina team site, echoed that sentiment by relaying an anecdote regarding former Waycross (Ga.) Ware County outside linebacker Ernest Jones. McGranahan said that Jones chose to make his commitment on Hutzler’s birthday as a tribute to the relationship the two built.

When asked for his opinion, McGranahan told me that Hutzler would rank in the top half of recruiters on the South Carolina staff.

4COMMENTS

Hutzler’s experience recruiting in Georgia will be an important factor for Texas. Jason Washington was responsible for recruiting the area, and Texas has been active in the Atlanta area over the past few years.

Hutzler will now be responsible for forging new ties in Texas, but the lack of linebackers in the state means that he will likely need to look out of state at some point. Recruiting ability tends to elevate depending on what logo sits on the polo the coach is wearing, and Hutzler will have the chance to take his recruiting resume to the next level.

"He got a 4* one time, I got told he was in the  upper half of SCAR recruiters, and was well liked" 

3 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Roach with the most lukewarm boring Roach article he could possibly write on Hutzler 

Hide contents

Texas announced today the official hiring of linebacker coach Coleman Hutzler. The former South Carolina assistant has a resume that took him all over the country. He began his coaching career at the University of San Diego and then moved to Stanford to work as a recruiting assistant for Jim Harbaugh.

Hutzler went on to work at New Mexico, Florida, Boston College, and South Carolina before being hired at Texas. A Las Vegas native, Hutzler has the connections to be a coast-to-coast recruiter.

While at South Carolina, Hutzler was responsible for recruiting parts of Georgia, including the Atlanta metro area. In 2020, Hutzler was largely responsible for landing four-star inside linebacker Mohamed Kaba away from hometown North Carolina State. An All-American Bowl participant, Kaba attributed his relationship with Hutzler as the main reason he committed to and stuck with South Carolina despite a tumultuous season.

In speaking with several sources in the coaching world, I was told that Hutzler is well-liked and forms strong relationships with recruits and their families. Hale McGranahan of The Big Spur, 247Sports’ South Carolina team site, echoed that sentiment by relaying an anecdote regarding former Waycross (Ga.) Ware County outside linebacker Ernest Jones. McGranahan said that Jones chose to make his commitment on Hutzler’s birthday as a tribute to the relationship the two built.

When asked for his opinion, McGranahan told me that Hutzler would rank in the top half of recruiters on the South Carolina staff.

4COMMENTS

Hutzler’s experience recruiting in Georgia will be an important factor for Texas. Jason Washington was responsible for recruiting the area, and Texas has been active in the Atlanta area over the past few years.

Hutzler will now be responsible for forging new ties in Texas, but the lack of linebackers in the state means that he will likely need to look out of state at some point. Recruiting ability tends to elevate depending on what logo sits on the polo the coach is wearing, and Hutzler will have the chance to take his recruiting resume to the next level.

"He got a 4* one time, I got told he was in the  upper half of SCAR recruiters, and was well liked" 

If a guy isn't connected to TXHSFB, Roach is totally disinterested and useless. The dude just isn't very interested in college football, and thinks Texas high school corches are the most awesomest people he could ever hope to talk to.

• Like 3

For dark mode users.

4COMMENTS

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

Mike Roach: Duncanville's Ennis Rakestraw talks visit plans, Texas interest

Ennis Rakestraw is on a heater. The three-star cornerback from Duncanville had a breakout senior campaign and it resulted in multiple offers. Over the last month, programs such as Michigan State, Alabama, Missouri, and Georgia came forward with offers. Rakestraw seems to be handling the attention well, and he said he’s just having fun with it. “It’s been really fun to be wanted by everyone,” Rakestraw said.

Texas recently joined the offer parade for Rakestraw as new defensive coordinator Chris Ash pulled the trigger on an offer last week. Rakestraw said he grew up watching Texas, and he loves the opportunity to represent Duncanville. “It means I can put on for my city,” he said. “I’ve been watching them since I was little.”

Rakestraw is still figuring out how to use his fourth visit. He has three officials scheduled, but he plans to talk to his family to see if he can make it to Texas. “I’ve got to talk to my people about it,” he said. “I can take four. Right now, it’s Georgia, Missouri, and Alabama but I’ve got to talk to Texas.”

Rakestraw really doesn’t know when or how he will announce his choice, but he’s got an eye towards signing day in February. “I might make the decision on signing day,” he said. “I’m really not sure.” At 6-feet, 170 pounds, Rakestraw is ranked as the No. 114 cornerback in the country and No. 180 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

@Bevo VIII

Texas Top 25 for 2019/2020

Texas: 11 (+1 no jinx)

aggy: 11

OU: 5

Bama: 4

LSU: 3 (+1 expected)

So Oregon essentially recruits California like in-state team should (10/50 top players).

...shit that post is weeks old and was probably already answered.

Edited by JBJ

RB Bijan Robinson – The 247Sports Composite five-star running back from Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic was smooth catching the ball out of the backfield and looked very slippery in the open field, making defenders miss by seamlessly changing directions and fighting for extra yards. The Texas signee is patient behind the line of scrimmage, allowing lanes to develop before exploding up field, and he's proven to be one of the more multi-dimensional offensive weapons in the nation.

LB Prince Dorbah – An active edge defender with a great motor, Dorbah had a few impressive moments Tuesday. He did well to disengage and race up field to close on the football. In coverage, the Texas signee showed some nice potential given his athleticism and length. Dorbah made things difficult on tight ends who were trying to find space up the middle as well.

247 lists Hutzler as the primary recruiter for Zachh Pickens. A five star guy, top DT in 2019 class, offers from Clemson, Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, FSU, etc.

Now, I don't pretend to know if that's 100 percent accurate or what exactly the "primary recruiter" tag entails, but that might have been worth mentioning.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

247 lists Hutzler as the primary recruiter for Zachh Pickens. A five star guy, top DT in 2019 class, offers from Clemson, Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, FSU, etc.

Now, I don't pretend to know if that's 100 percent accurate or what exactly the "primary recruiter" tag entails, but that might have been worth mentioning.

Yeah. Not sure if he was the primary on that one or not, but SC mods did say that Mohamed Kaba was all Hutzler, which was a really nice pull for a 4-8 SC program. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Mohamed-Kaba-46036513/

It's going to be so fucking weird not having to depend on True Freshman. 
2018 2 deep Freshman
Keontay, Eagles, Jamison, Cosmi (RS), Ossai, Boyce (RS), Sterns, Foster, Cook
2017 2 deep Freshman
Sam, Hemphill-Mapps (RS), Brewer, Urquidez, Hudson (RS), Graham, Thompson
2016 2 deep Freshman
Buechele, Porter, Lil'Jordan, Duvernay, Colin Johnson, Shackelford, Wilbon, Roach, Townsend, McCulloch, B. Jones

I could see Bijan being mixed in, but is there anyone else?

Crazy to see it in a list like this. But yeah, I’d say Bijan is the only one we’re “depending on” contributing early. There’s others that will see the field, probably breaking into the 2 deep, but barring injury there aren’t many (any?) that we NEED to contribute immediately. Very refreshing. Let’s pray the injury bug has moved out of town!

13 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Crazy to see it in a list like this. But yeah, I’d say Bijan is the only one we’re “depending on” contributing early. There’s others that will see the field, probably breaking into the 2 deep, but barring injury there aren’t many (any?) that we NEED to contribute immediately. Very refreshing. Let’s pray the injury bug has moved out of town!

Even then, Bijan getting some snaps will be more of a luxury than necessity (if no freak injuries occur).  Omeire might be more of a NEED to contribute, just hoping he can run faster than CTJ

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Bijan will get snaps because he's the Joe Burrow of freshman running backs.

Well I hope not like Joe Burrow's career at OSU... In all seriousness though, let's at least wait until the spring game before we give him the heisman.

We know what we have at RB already and it's really really good.  I don't have as much faith in the WR's especially with the uncoached mess Mehringer left behind.

38 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

We know what we have at RB already and it's really really good.  I don't have as much faith in the WR's especially with the uncoached mess Mehringer left behind.

Is it? Showed promise but was pretty average this year. Potential is there especially with Whittington if he sticks at RB in this offense, but really really good is a stretch. Bijan and another year of development for Ingram and Rojo could elevate it there though.

IT reporting that Texas is starting to push for Dixon. Yurcich must really like him. Wells also mentioned his visit to UTSA might be up in the air, no mention of the previously scheduled Arkansas OV. 

As a reminder, it's down to probably Texas and UTSA, Arkansas is a courtesy to the new staff.  

• Like 1

I'm from San Antonio and I really like what UTSA has done as a school over the last decade or so, including their foray into football. They really are doing some neat things out there and it has become a lot more than the commuter school it used to be. But if Dixon willfully chooses to go there over UT then he deserves to.

45 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Is it? Showed promise but was pretty average this year. Potential is there especially with Whittington if he sticks at RB in this offense, but really really good is a stretch. Bijan and another year of development for Ingram and Rojo could elevate it there though.

Fine.  Just really good.  They both have vision, power, did well in pass blocking, didn't fumble, caught the ball well (despite the Ingram drop)... Even got some style points in there with the hurdles.  The rest, as we know, is on the OL.  And you yourself said it, Whittington is waiting in the wings too as the ideal APB.  

Compared to WR, the RB room isn't in dire need of a savior... No matter how much we love Bijan.

For all the LSU comparisons that keep popping up, John Emery Jr is every bit or more the athletic RB freak Bijan is and he hardly played this past year.  We should hope we don't NEED Bijan in his first year either

11 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Fine.  Just really good.  They both have vision, power, did well in pass blocking, didn't fumble, caught the ball well (despite the Ingram drop)... Even got some style points in there with the hurdles.  The rest, as we know, is on the OL.  And you yourself said it, Whittington is waiting in the wings too as the ideal APB.  

Compared to WR, the RB room isn't in dire need of a savior... No matter how much we love Bijan.

For all the LSU comparisons that keep popping up, John Emery Jr is every bit or more the athletic RB freak Bijan is and he hardly played this past year.  We should hope we don't NEED Bijan in his first year either

Many folks wringing their hands over WR. Losing Duvernay will suck for everyone except for fatkid, I realize. But hell, beyond that, CJ missed half of the season. Burt was pretty much irrelevant. Mehringer was a fucktard that fucktarded his fucktardiness all over the WR unit, so losing him has to be addition by subtraction. Just letting them all play and practice without a coach would be an upgrade. So what has folks worried?

Texas returns, at least as of now:

-Jake Smith - if he doesn't transfer

-Kennedy Lewis

-Troy Omeire - I mean, I wasn't high on him compared to QJ, but we lost QJ, so I'll take the guy

-Kobe Boyce - okay, I don't know what I think here

-Dajon Harrison

-Marcus Washington - if he doesn't transfer

-Jordan Whittington - if he doesn't play TB

-Brennan Eagles

-Joshua Moore - if they allow him to return

-Al'vonte Woodard - if he doesn't transfer

Okay, yeah, now that I'm really thinking about, what in the fuck is Texas doing not locking Dixon up months ago? They need to find a GT somewhere, if possible. Holy shitballs. There is a ton of risk on that list in various ways.

• Like 7