Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I said he had a good shot of coming back and people should stop writing him off. Herman helped Leitao get a plea down and (somewhat) quietly got him into UT. Herman has been allowed to keep Casey Horny on staff. He just interviewed Tosh Lupoi. This isn't the same old program from the perspective of viewing itself as lily white. They like Moore. He can play at a high level. If there's a way that the criminal findings can be diminished in some way that enables a justification for keeping his dumb ass, they will. Oh, and he's been suspended for a year because of the issue, so they won't even have to further suspend him afterwards. 

That all considered, they're not going to welcome an armed felon back into the program's good graces. 

That's good to hear.  I mean he got suspended for a year and nobody died.  Hell, he didn't break a woman's jaw or beat his friend so badly he put him in a coma.  Are we finally ready to compete the shitbags north of the Red River?  I sure hope so!

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Ricky and Earl (and D'Onte!) had some pretty great seasons, but he would have to put up about 3400 yards in 14 games to best what Barry Sanders did in 1988. 

That's why it was so stupid that Barry Sanders wasn't voted #1.  How did they put so many players above him. Imo 1,2,3 should have been Barry, Bo, and Vince. But apparently according to esteemed committee of septuagenarians ESPN more elite played before integration thank nowadays and nobody who played this century is worth a damn. Have Tebow and Earl round out the top 5 and you have a good list.

5 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This staff needs to figure out how to maximize Eagles.  He has the tools to be as good as any WR in the country.

Eagles gives me a Malcolm Williams vibe.  big, athletic, supremely talented, flashes of greatness, but ultimately couldn’t put it all together.  I know he’s only played one season.  hopefully mehringer was holding him back. 

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

Eagles gives me a Malcolm Williams vibe.  big, athletic, supremely talented, flashes of greatness, but ultimately couldn’t put it all together.  I know he’s only played one season.  hopefully mehringer was holding him back. 

This was his second year.  He'll be a junior next year.

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Roach had a bit of a slip at the end of his podcast said “if everything goes to plan like he told me it is, I’ll be at Collins NSD2 announcement in Bastrop”

also they are getting a new staff member at 247, hope he can move Roachs mouth away from the mic

Poor Roach. Sounds like he needs a Cpap machine when he falls asleep sitting upright. 

4 hours ago, LebongJames said:

He’s young and a student athlete with hopefully no previous record. The DA will probably give him a plea deal to a misdemeanor. If that happens I bet he’s back.

Did I miss something.... isnt Moore being charged with a misdemeanor??? 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I’ll be damned.  I thought he was a redshirt freshman in 2019.  

Yeah, I thought so too, but through this season he's been referred to as a soph, so unfortunately that seems to be correct.  He had all of 1 catch in 2018.  Not sure how many snaps he played.  Wondered how the staff allowed that to happen.  

(IIRC, shortly after he came to Texas, Herman made some snarky remarks about how he wouldn't burn redshirts for a handful of snaps ... seems he and his staff did just that, in a few cases.)

51 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Yeah, I thought so too, but through this season he's been referred to as a soph, so unfortunately that seems to be correct.  He had all of 1 catch in 2018.  Not sure how many snaps he played.  Wondered how the staff allowed that to happen.  

(IIRC, shortly after he came to Texas, Herman made some snarky remarks about how he wouldn't burn redshirts for a handful of snaps ... seems he and his staff did just that, in a few cases.)

He played in 11 games as a freshman - he was in the WR rotation. 

3 hours ago, futureman said:

Eagles doesn’t have near the drop numbers Williams had

3 hours ago, futureman said:

He looked to be in the rotation. Sam liked him. Plenty of talent. With good coaching he'll be the #1 guy and a complete star. At 522 yards (on 32 receptions !!!!!!) he is the leading returing receiver.

Your description is correctly applied to Epps. If he can get his head straight, he's a superstar. Jake Smith too. /sunshinepumpingforever

Edited by Thetexashammer

16 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

What’s the story with Woodard? He was behind Epps, right? He can’t be that fucking bad. He had a decent catch in the Tech game this year. 

Mehringer happened. You have to dismiss everything you have seen with with group and start the reevaluation  next season with Coleman. 

Woodard may suck but I think he'll get a fairer shake this coming year than he did in 2019. That receiver room was the drizzling shits under that guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

What’s the story with Woodard? He was behind Epps, right? He can’t be that fucking bad. He had a decent catch in the Tech game this year. 

Maybe he needed a couple years to develop. He did seem to be getting more playing time towards the end of the season.

God damn, there are a million guys in the portal. I had no idea it was that many. And yeah, it's kinda like a walk down memory lane if you follow recruiting. Just in the QBs, there's Justin Rogers, Peyton Powell, Grant Tisdale, and Ass My Dude.

How do y'all think the portal will affect recruiting, long term? Seems like it kind of makes high school recruiting a little less important, at least for the major programs. If you have holes in your roster in the offseason, just fire up the portal and go shopping.

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

God damn, there are a million guys in the portal. I had no idea it was that many. And yeah, it's kinda like a walk down memory lane if you follow recruiting. Just in the QBs, there's Justin Rogers, Peyton Powell, Grant Tisdale, and Ass My Dude.

How do y'all think the portal will affect recruiting, long term? Seems like it kind of makes high school recruiting a little less important, at least for the major programs. If you have holes in your roster in the offseason, just fire up the portal and go shopping.

You have to take more numbers every class, especially at the primadonna positions (QB and WR). If you're fucking around with "oh you're totally a QB for us" (hi Peyton Powell!), you'll get burnt much more easily.

16 minutes ago, tokamak said:

To a small extent. The stars and guys who immediately crack the 2 deep once they hit campus are never going to hit the portal unless there is a coaching change or some sort of in house turmoil. You are trolling the portal for leftovers from the blue bloods, which, if you are a mid tier to lower tier school might not be a bad thing. 

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You have to take more numbers every class, especially at the primadonna positions (QB and WR). If you're fucking around with "oh you're totally a QB for us" (hi Peyton Powell!), you'll get burnt much more easily.

Good points. I think we're seeing that borne out in the talk of a 2nd QB take for 2021.

5 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Can anyone explain Artur Sitkowski's transfer? 3 star Pro QB.

https://247sports.com/Article/Art-Sitkowski-Rutgers-Scarlet-Knights-college-football-recrruiting-139681651/

Was going to transfer when Ash was fired but Schiano convinced him to stay. Local kid. #RutgersTalkNotGoingAway

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

To a small extent. The stars and guys who immediately crack the 2 deep once they hit campus are never going to hit the portal unless there is a coaching change or some sort of in house turmoil. You are trolling the portal for leftovers from the blue bloods, which, if you are a mid tier to lower tier school might not be a bad thing. 

While that's mostly true, 3 of the 4 QBs in this years playoff were portal transfers. OU's last 3 starting QBs were all transfers. Those stats encourage guys like Ass My Dude and shitton like him to play the portal game. The NCAA opened the lid to the bottle, the genie is not going to be put back in.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

While that's mostly true, 3 of the 4 QBs in this years playoff were portal transfers. OU's last 3 starting QBs were all transfers. Those stats encourage guys like Ass My Dude and shitton like him to play the portal game. The NCAA opened the lid to the bottle, the genie is not going to be put back in.

He's really going to have an academic journey for the ages to explain to future employers. 

>Accepted to Yale

>Attended Texas A&M

>Graduated from Arkansas

>Masters from San Jose State

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

That's why it was so stupid that Barry Sanders wasn't voted #1.  How did they put so many players above him. Imo 1,2,3 should have been Barry, Bo, and Vince. But apparently according to esteemed committee of septuagenarians ESPN more elite played before integration thank nowadays and nobody who played this century is worth a damn. Have Tebow and Earl round out the top 5 and you have a good list.

Best season isn't the same as best college football player, but yes, the list was dumb.

47 minutes ago, texifornia said:

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

https://247sports.com/Article/Art-Sitkowski-Rutgers-Scarlet-Knights-college-football-recrruiting-139681651/

Was going to transfer when Ash was fired but Schiano convinced him to stay. Local kid. #RutgersTalkNotGoingAway

I guess Peyton is going to try to be a qb at Rutgers too. I've been on the Baylor campus once during a school day and it was enough to make me never want to return. But transferring to Newark is a very odd choice to say the least and transferring to Newark sight un-seen is really fucked up.

“I love the coaches. My sister lives in New York. It just felt right and felt like it came at the right time.”

Powell’s sister just recently moved to New York so next month will be his first visit to the city.

“I’m taking an official visit to Rutgers sometime in January,” Powell said.

https://247sports.com/college/rutgers/Article/Peyton-Powell-discusses-decision-to-transfer-to-Rutgers-Football-140810297/

Edited by Chopper

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I guess Peyton is going to try to be a qb at Rutgers too. I've been on the Baylor campus once during a school day and it was enough to make me never want to return. But transferring to Newark is a very odd choice to say the least and transferring to Newark sight un-seen is really fucked up.

Newark's a satellite campus. The main one's in New Brunswick/Piscataway, which is a lot less depressing though still a pretty low-end college town. At least you're directly across the street from the Johnson & Johnson HQ!

new-brunswick-small.jpg

Edited by texifornia

6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Maybe Peyton just wants a free trip to NY to visit his sister.  After the trip, he can still decommit from Rutgers right??

“I love the coaches. My sister lives in New York. It just felt right and felt like it came at the right time.”  Powell’s sister just recently moved to New York so next month will be his first visit to the city.  “I’m taking an official visit to Rutgers sometime in January,” Powell said.

FCB on the coaching search via @Getafix

Thursday 10 am - We're hearing Sean Snyder, son of former K-State coach Bill Snyder, is a candidate to coach tight ends and special teams at Texas. I'm hearing Snyder, who is expected to interview with Texas this week, is "one of a few candidates."

An all-conference punter at K-State in 1991 and 1992 (who held the school record for career punt average - 43.0 yards per punt until 1998), Snyder was in charge of special teams at K-State from 2011-18. This past season, under new K-State coach Chris Klieman, Snyder served as director of football operations at KSU.

(Chip Brown)

Thursday 9:10 am - In addition to talking to former Longhorn and Baylor defensive line coach Frank Okam I'm hearing there is interest in talking to a couple more D-line coach candidates. One source said the hire of a D-line coach and tight ends/special teams coordinator "may" be finalized by Texas' recruiting event on Saturday.

(Chip Brown)