Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

You have to take more numbers every class, especially at the primadonna positions (QB and WR). If you're fucking around with "oh you're totally a QB for us" (hi Peyton Powell!), you'll get burnt much more easily.

You can only take so many numbers in every class, or at least averaged out through several classes, and most high level programs, with Clemson being an exception, max out on their numbers averaged out over multi-year periods. So more players transferring out means schools potentially have a scholarship deficit, and since incoming transfers count against the 25, the only way to actually replenish post-25 scholarship deficits are through the walkon program by giving out scholarships after they've been on campus for two years. Also, I think this makes prospects who aren't shitheads who'll get in trouble or transfer out if they're not starting by year two more valuable, while prospects with red flags need to be taken in moderation. 

8 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Hiring a Snyder at STs coach?  What is this wizardry?  That would be fan-fucking-tastic.  That would probably be worth ~2 wins/season.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Do want wizard JR, despite obvious lack of recruiting success.

You guys are out of your fucking gourds. This guy was a bum at KSU that the administration had to stomach on the payroll as a courtesy to the dad. He's been pushed aside and relegated to a desk in the basement and no one but his family is worried about it. Take him as an analyst if we get send Horny packing, but as a coach? What the fuck are you thinking? You want to post someone in the TE coaching slot that has no history of anything but poor performance as a recruiter? 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

You guys are out of your fucking gourds. This guy was a bum at KSU that the administration had to stomach on the payroll as a courtesy to the dad. He's been pushed aside and relegated to a desk in the basement and no one but his family is worried about it. Take him as an analyst if we get send Horny packing, but as a coach? What the fuck are you thinking? You want to post someone in the TE coaching slot that has no history of anything but poor performance as a recruiter? 

The Wizard wanted him to be his replacement.

KSU, of all places, said not only no but hell no.

Says a ton about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Think those reactions were to him as an ST analyst. Which yea, sure, why not.

Edited by Hank_Hill

Obviously, hiring as TE coach would be a failure. The next question is, how good would he be as a ST analyst? He won two "special teams coach of the year" awards, but from the outside looking in, it's difficult to tell how much was him and how much was his dad, but I'd bet that a guy who coached there for six years would know. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's being interviewed as an analyst isn't he? So basically being Hutzler's ST bitch/assistant. I'm more than ok with Wizard Jr watching ST film 255 days a year and snapping to the holders all day during practice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

He's being interviewed as an analyst isn't he? So basically being Hutzler's ST bitch/assistant. I'm more than ok with Wizard Jr watching ST film 255 days a year and snapping to the holders all day during practice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everyone is now ASSUMING he's interviewing for an analyst spot after the Nebraska 24/7 guy said such. But that doesn't change the fact that Chip Brown specifically said he was being interviewed or the TE coaching position. 

So, I guess the question here is really who is ready to take Herman's ability to fuck up a hire for granted here?

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Everyone is now ASSUMING he's interviewing for an analyst spot after the Nebraska 24/7 guy said such. But that doesn't change the fact that Chip Brown specifically said he was being interviewed or the TE coaching position. 

So, I guess the question here is really who is ready to take Herman's ability to fuck up a hire for granted here?

If the question is Herman’s hiring ability versus the accuracy of Chip Brown’s “reporting,” then I’m taking Herman every time in that cripple fight. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

If the question is Herman’s hiring ability versus the accuracy of Chip Brown’s “reporting,” then I’m taking Herman every time in that cripple fight. 

I dont disagree, just attempting to point out assuming Herman can't fuck something up is probably not a great idea. Granted, trusting Chip Brown is like giving John Mueller money to start a business, so...

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Think those reactions were to him as an ST analyst. Which yea, sure, why not.

No. At the time of the posts, they were responding to him being an on-field candidate. Scholz responded to my post already confirming as much, and gmr54855848 directly rationalizes his (non)impact as a recruiter in his post.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

I don't have an issue with Herman hiring as many analysts as he wants, barring those with helping institutionalize rape and rape cover-up in their backgrounds. I'm all for Snyder being hired in that capacity. I was addressing the premise that we hire a guy at TE coach that isn't a stud recruiter.

Looks like Okam is out as a DT coach candidate

Nahlin: 

Lots of talk about Dave Aranda getting Baylor. That would likely give Frank Okam a safe haven.

Okam interviewed with Texas yesterday. I haven’t heard direct details of that interview but it looks more likely than not that Okam will stay on at Baylor.

It’s a bit delicate but I’ll go into it when I can.

Bring on the sad likes! I missed those.

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Looks like Okam is out as a DT coach candidate

Nahlin: 

Lots of talk about Dave Aranda getting Baylor. That would likely give Frank Okam a safe haven.

Okam interviewed with Texas yesterday. I haven’t heard direct details of that interview but it looks more likely than not that Okam will stay on at Baylor.

It’s a bit delicate but I’ll go into it when I can.

Bring on the sad likes! I missed those.

Shit. 

Guess we're getting the Rutgers coach. 

12 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

I'm not advocating for the guy, but who gives a shit about this? If Bill Belichick lost his hair overnight, would you want him fired? 

Or are you just trying to score some delicious progressive ethnomasochism points? /no cr

Because something like 75% of football players are black. Because coaches are role models to their players and some of those role models need to be able to relate to the players on a personal level, speaking from experience that they understand the challenges that young black kids are going through. Because other programs have used the vanilla-ness of our coaches room to recruit against us. Because this guy isn't Bill Belicheck. That's why.

Also, because bald people are the worst.

Edited by irishtexan
  • Fuck You 1

IT - Recruiting notebook

Spoiler

We wrap up 2020 recruiting with a handful of UT's final targets in this cycle, plus we look at a former Texas pledge that still loves the Longhorns in this week's Recruiting Notebook.

Isaiah Dunson - CB, Tucker (GA) 2020
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Dunson has such exceptional ball skills that it's easy to wonder if offense or defense is the right call. What seems to be the clinching factor is that he's 6-2/175 or so with real quickness (4.22 shuttle) that he translates to sticking tight on receivers in man coverage on film. Lots of receivers out there who can get open and win balls in the air, not as many guys who can do that at 6-foot-2 with their backs turned to the ball. Dunson is a great guy to stash in the program as cornerback in hopes that he'll be able to play press-man and hold up without needing a safety over the top. -- Ian Boyd

Coach says: Strengths - Has great height and frame for the position. Long arms. Has good straight line acceleration and above average straight line speed. Above average explosiveness with a good vertical. Shows good change of direction most of the time. Judges the ball well in the air and catches naturally away from his body. Productive as a wide receiver and as a CB. A high football IQ is evident on tape as he translates his WR experience into anticipation as a DB. A wiling and physical player at the line of scrimmage. Looks very natural in press or off man coverage. Mirror steps are great and seems to side-step, accelerate and decelerate pretty well in phase with the receiver. Fights through the receiver for the ball and generally seems to have good timing. Have a hard time finding any opponent tape that makes him look bad. Areas for improvement / Concern - Needs time to add bulk. Some plays look like he’s watching more than playing when the ball isn’t straight to his side. Does not look nearly as comfortable or polished in zone coverage. Does not show a lot of form tackling and most tackles appear to be of either the "Todd-Orlando-missile" variety or the “drape-myself-across-the-ball-carrier-and-have-him-drag-me” type. A few where he exposes his neck. Have to question the level of competition. Not much (if any) tape against bigger wide receivers.

How this affects Texas: Texas wants another corner in 2020. When Ethan Pouncey decided to play football with his brother, former UT WR Jordan Pouncey, that left a void in the 2020 class. Former CB coach Jason Washington wasted little time in finding his potential replacement. Fast forward and the four-star and former FSU pledge will take his OV to Austin next weekend (1/24-25). Fellow Georgia native Kenyatta Watson II will be his host. He reminds me of former Newton four-star, A&M corner Roney Elam; long, good hips, and some dog to his game. I think he's the top corner left on the board and wouldn't be surprised with a pledge next weekend if all goes well. - Justin Wells

Ennis Rakestraw - CB, Duncanville (TX) 2020
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Perhaps the key to the Duncanville defense, Rakestraw locked down the left side for the Panthers on their run back to the title game and made things quiet over there against even the likes of North Shore and Southlake Carroll. He's a physical battler with some good quickness but no elite measurable either in size (6-foot-0, 170) or athleticism (4.47 shuttle, 35.8" vertical). He's a really smart player who uses his eyes well and may grow into a more dominant athlete in college with time and S&C. At Texas he'd project as a field corner that could keep receivers in front of him with possible additional upside down the line, he may never be athletic enough to play press-man without help on the sideline. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Easy to overlook based on the eyeball test, this kid wears big boy pants. Strong for his size with good lower and upper body strength. A very well-coached player who consistently takes sound steps, good angles and makes good decisions. He processes the game quickly. Has quick feet and will both side shuffle and back pedal easily. Top speed appears to be above average (He claims a 4.4 40 but does have track times to back up that he’s fast). Uses the boundary to his advantage consistently and has the instinctive use of his body to get position on receivers, including much bigger ones. Understands how to use leverage at the LOS. Has very good anticipation and consistently makes a play on the ball. Shows good number of zone and man highlights. Has competed well in big games and against the highest level of athlete in Texas and has held some of the state’s best WR to impressively low totals: Quay Davis only had two yards receiving against him. Jaxon Smith-Njigba (Ohio State signee) was held to five catches for 37 yards. Not afraid to mix it up with anyone, he holds his own against blocks and ball carriers. Shows some great form tackling on tape. Seems quite unselfish and says the right things. Chris Ash likes him. Areas for Improvement / Concern - Appears a bit slim. Is he really 170 lbs? Will telegraph his bail a bit early at times. Not sure if that’s by design or if he doesn’t trust his change of direction. Appears we are in late on this one and this kid seems to throw love on the people that loved him early.

How this affects Texas: If you read above, you know the Horns want another corner. The three-star from Duncanville has seen his recruitment explode since the state playoffs. Alabama, Georgia, and Missouri have OVs scheduled, but Rakestraw is adamant he wants to see UT's campus before making his decision. He may be able to hoola-hoop through a Cheerio, but his skills were on display this season, when he was named Dallas Morning News Defensive Player of the Year. I view Rakestraw as 1b to Dunson's 1a - both with immense upside, and both needing a college S&C program. If UT pushes, they have a shot. Recent Texas signee, D'ville teammate Ja'Quinden Jackson might be recruiting him harder though. - JW

Tre Bradford - RB, Lancaster (TX) 2020
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Bradford looks more like the type of RB that Oklahoma State has done well with this last decade. He's great at bouncing runs and making the most of space, when he cuts downhill between the tackles it's typically because teams over pursued to the edges trying to keep him from bouncing free. In a run game where he can bounce runs regularly and utilize his lateral quickness in space he'd be an explosive threat and he also has film flexing out and running some hitches and fades from the slot. In Texas' downhill run game, he'd be a less obvious fit before retraining himself to look to power through arm tackles in the A/B gaps. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - A well built runner who could play at 200+ lbs in college. A long strider with decisive first steps. Shows good patience in the zone schemes will see his cutback lanes early. Accelerates to top speed quickly. Changes direction efficiently without a significant deceleration. Just enough wiggle to make guys miss with an uncanny number of highlights showing (high school level) defenders misjudging his speed or agility. Has history at WR and shows good, natural hands out of the backfield. A few highlights in the slot. Is a willing pass blocker with at least a couple of highlights. Play style looks at least consistent on available opponent film. Areas for Improvement / Concern - Not sure his top speed is going to outrun a lot of college level defenders. Runs a bit too high. Not a lot of contact on his film. Ball carriage appears a bit loose and can waste upper body motion at times.

How this affects Texas: When you add a Bijan Robinson to your class, you can be a little more picky with the second RB take. Bradford has always had the upside - the DFW four-star holds 28 offers including Ohio State, Wisconsin, LSU, and UT. After being down to zero scholarship tailbacks near the end of fall camp in 2019, you'd think this is the UT staff being proactive and that might be the case. But that room will be stocked in 2020 so Tom Herman can be selective here. A visit to Austin might happen over the next few weekends. - JW

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

What's the story on this guy?

Dwight McGlothern Jr 5* CB Cedar Hill, Texas

Shooting from the hip here, but as I recall he was all-everything as a sophomore. Big self-promoter. Moved HS's a couple times including a stint at Deion's school and playing for RO's 7-on-7 team. Bloom fell off the rose and suddenly none of the significant regional programs wanted shit to do with the self-promoter with the inflated sense of self. Fell off the radar for at least a year and then had a pretty good showing at the SA all-star game. 

Think that about captures it?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

What's the story on this guy?

Dwight McGlothern Jr 5* CB Cedar Hill, Texas

I got ready to show you how he dropped like a rock after being ranked high early, but turns out fucking 247 changed their ranking history to only show "scores"

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Dwight-McGlothern-at-Klein-Oak-243665/RecruitRankHistory/

he topped out at a .9879 rating in July (#24 overall player in the country is currently a .9880) but dropped like a rock. went from a low 5*, top 25 in the country, ranked in like the top 5ish Texas to ranked #92 in TX, #56 CB and outside the top 700. 

i am sure someone else will share more of why he dropped

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Curious if possibility of Okam staying and Aranda being hired puts Baylor back in play for either Princely or Collins

They didn't want to be 4i's.  This should hurt Baylor's odds if random speculation on the internet is to be trusted.