Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Gorney waxing poetic about Bijan in an article about who could jump to Rivals #1 RB over Bigsby.

TL;DR: Zach Evans is the best, but boy does he suck as a person. Bijan is actually the best. Guy going to Clemson is fine, we needed a 3rd guy.

https://n.rivals.com/news/making-the-case-which-rb-deserves-to-occupy-top-spot-

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gorney waxing poetic about Bijan in an article about who could jump to Rivals #1 RB over Bigsby.

TL;DR: Zach Evans is the best, but boy does he suck as a person. Bijan is actually the best. Guy going to Clemson is fine, we needed a 3rd guy.

https://n.rivals.com/news/making-the-case-which-rb-deserves-to-occupy-top-spot-

FWIW, they currently classify Bijan as an APB (and #1 at the position).  So will they reclassify him as an RB in the next ranking, and consider him for the top spot ... ?  Not clear from the article.

55 minutes ago, Getafix said:

FWIW, they currently classify Bijan as an APB (and #1 at the position).  So will they reclassify him as an RB in the next ranking, and consider him for the top spot ... ?  Not clear from the article.

I dont guess they would reclassify Bijan just so Evans doesnt end up at the top spot. 

hate to see that kind of behavior rewarded. but this is football. smh

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Anwar confirms that Snyder was interviewed for the TE position, but doesn't think he's the top candidate 

This sounds like a coach doing a solid for a kid of another coach to get him some clout (please hire him Nebraska) and like he won't be hired *knock on wood *. Anwar is now the mouthpiece.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Oh lord (re: Collins)

EOdK5L4XkAE0ke8?format=jpg&name=360x360

There was a top 50 recruit the last couple of years who didn’t know who Saban was in an interview. Wish I remembered who it was, it cracked me up 

There’s a chunk of top recruits every year who don’t watch or follow football in their free time for whatever reason, and spend more time at the mall, movies, or somewhere partying, and are only involved with football when they have to be  

Not that that’s necessarily a red flag or anything. Some hall of famers have said that they’ve never actually liked the sport 

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

SIAP. Doesn't look like Baylor will be a worry for Princely or Collins. 

The Baylor mods also posted that Collins wasn't all that thrilled with the Aranda hire. 

Princely has openly criticized LSU for the way they pulled offers from some of his friends, he probably doesn't have a ton of positive feelings toward Aranda. 

29 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah but that also kinda implies that the DC of a powerful regional team didn’t contact a top 100 defensive player. 

Yep, thats the takeaway, I get LSU is doing more than fine on the recruiting trail, but that's still odd.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

eh Joey McGuire was a TE coach for his first 2 seasons at Baylor, he can kind of fit in wherever he needs to.

No doubt that Aranda could fit him in.  I read somewhere on this board that it would be awkward for Aranda to have Joey around when he was the guy the team wanted for HC. 

He would be perfect for our TE position, IMO.

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, cochamps said:

No doubt that Aranda could fit him in.  I read somewhere on this board that it would be awkward for Aranda to have Joey around when he was the guy the team wanted for HC. 

He would be perfect for our TE position, IMO.

No clue what about your post was neg worthy, but I got you fam. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No clue what about your post was neg worthy, but I got you fam. 

58 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

lol. Wondered the same thing. Figured someone hit the wrong button.

Maybe they didn't pick up on the tone of your post

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

The Baylor mod - presumably a grown man - getting his feelings hurt over a high school kid not knowing who Dave Aranda is is pretty funny.

It didn't sound like his feelings were hurt from the two things posted here.  It seemed like he thought it was funny.

IT Humidor

COACHING SEARCH

When Tom Herman says he's going to have a process he means it. On NSD1 he said he was in no hurry to make hires and he is proving that by the minute, day, week, and now, *checks calendar* month.

[Halley's Comet flies by]

So what? They aren't missing games yet.

The school has done a pretty good job -- about as good of a job as can be expected -- in keeping these searches under wraps. When fans do get a credible name, they tend to think 'that's the guy!' and rush to judgement. Then, if he isn't signed a day later 'he turned Texas down!' Maybe there's more to it.

An example is Frank Okam. It's widely reported that Okam interviewed. I heard that interview went well on both sides. At this time it doesn't appear that an offer has been extended. The only logical conclusion is Herman is vetting other candidates who have yet to be named in addition to Okam. Sounds like a thorough, well run search.

Of course some coaches have turned Texas down for varying reasons. Maybe the money wasn't right or maybe those coaches are already in a good, stable situation. Don't ever underestimate the value of the latter in that profession.

When you target coaches who have numerous options it makes things even more difficult and drawn out. Herman's methodical approach along with targets weighing all their options has extended the process, and those factors could be what draws the remaining two hires out further. In some cases Texas might be hostage to variables out of its control. If you want to get your guy, you have to be patient.

I won't begin to formulate an opinion on staff composition until I see it in total. Maybe a big development awaits. Or maybe Herman adds a detail and process guy who excites nobody but adds tons of hidden value.

I will mention, recruiting ability should definitely be taken into account for the remaining two openings of tight end and defensive tackle. Without a doubt.

DB vs WR

Hiring Jay Valai and Andre Coleman didn't necessarily excite fans. Not that it matters, but those could prove to be very good hires despite lack of fanfare.

I've shared some glowing comments on the new DB and recently received some more. He's already been recruiting via phone calls. Theadis Reagins, the defensive back coach at North Shore who was previously at Lamar, had this to say after I asked him what makes him say Coach Valai is a good pick up: "He's a Texas guy. He will bring energy and good technical teaching. I saw his work in person when he was GA at UGA."

Reagins had a good relationship with Coach Washington but will likely build the same with Valai, especially as the new coach recruits stud corner Denver Harris for the 2022 class. Valai has already taken the first steps towards that end. If he can pick up where Washington left off, Quinn Ewers won't be the only five-star Texas is in good position for in that class.

Throughout the season I heard some criticisms of Drew Mehringer's coaching of wide receivers. What I heard was so bad it was hard to believe, effectively, he didn't teach the receivers how to beat press coverage. Not that he tried and couldn't get his teaching across....he didn't teach it at all. He would tell his big receivers to use their size and power advantage and that's it. Thinking back to Malcolm Epps' struggles getting off the line it all makes sense. I'm shook.

When the discussion turns to players not being developed, this is a prime example. I had this information confirmed this week as I received positive news on Coleman. With Mehringer they just worked on routes, and not very good ones, and drills they didn't seem to benefit from. Coleman immediately went to work on getting a good release and they saw immediate improvement.

Coleman's becoming a popular guy and should be a value add on the recruiting trail.

STATE OF RECRUITING 

With over half the staff replaced and settling in, the off-season journey to the 2020 season has begun.

Today it will be time to officially get to work as the dead period ends. Texas still has at least 3-4 spots available for the 2020 haul and will be hosting a few targets for official visits next weekend.

This weekend they'll be more focused on the class ahead, but let's start with #cloUT2020.

UT is bringing in unsigned seniors Kelvontay Dixon (ATH Carthage) and Isaiah Dunson (CB Tucker, GA) on official visits beginning next Friday.

Dixon scheduled officials for Arkansas and UTSA recently, but those appear to have been cancelled. I believe Texas is pushing once again and this thing might need a bow. Dixon spoke about getting to know new wide receiver coach Andre Coleman and I believe he'll receive a visit soon. Jeff Traylor caught Dixon's attention earlier this month after grabbing the UTSA job, but it seems as though this a guy UT wants to close with. At one point last season, Tom Herman told the staff Dixon would be in this class. That looks more likely now.

Dunson is another where I feel like UT is pushing the right buttons. When you speak with the four-star Georgia native, the Horns seem to have a clear lead. I know Ole Miss and a few others have shown interest but things are looking good for Texas and Dunson today. You can't go wrong with him or Ennis Rakestraw, but I think the 6-foot-2 Dunson is the take today. They'll likely only take one, but it isn't wise to rule much out in recruiting.

Another name to know for next weekend could be Lancaster running back Tre Bradford. He wants to visit Austin in the worst way, and I believe the staff is evaluating all options in case they vote to take a second running back in the class.

I also believe if the right player comes across the staff's path, they'll give them a hard look. Example: Texas might want to take a flier on a wide receiver like Savion Williams (Marshall, 6-foot-4.5, 205 pounds) or someone else. We expect Williams to receive a visit soon.

With NSD2 a little over three weeks away, I feel the most confident in Dixon, Dunson, and Alfred Collins for this class. All signs seem to be pointing in this direction, which would allow UT to finish with another Top 10 rated class.

Now, about Saturday. Last year, following the Sugar Bowl win over Georgia, UT decided to capitalize on that momentum by hosting a group of 2020 prospects in mid-January. It was basically a Junior Day, but a month early and for the biggest priorities. Recruiting never sleeps and the staff found an edge by getting these targets on campus a little earlier. That edge would go on to dull in that cycle, but it was an aggressive move that they'll duplicate. Tomorrow, the 2021 version arrives. Here's a quick rundown on who is expected, with the potential a few other names will surely be added.

QB Jalen Milroe, Katy Tompkins (TEXAS): The man known as #Milroe helped jump start a recruiting movement for the cycle. He's got that alpha male persona for the position and the more he's actively recruiting for UT, the better. Highly respected by his fellow recruits, it's time to find him some toys at running back and wide receiver and some protection up front on the offensive line.

RB LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair: If Camar Wheaton is the state's top tailback, then LJ is probably No. 2. The influx of offers that came Johnson's way in the last month and a half alone (Georgia, Florida, Ohio State, Penn State) are indicative of his ability and potential. Texas can lay a decent claim with a solid weekend. UT quietly led at one point. If the staff begins to push harder it could regain that lead. Johnson would prefer to stay closer to home. He and Milroe were on the same junior high team.

WR Teddy Knox, The Woodlands: The slot receiver from The Woodlands, Knox is lightning in a bottle with an electronic 4.42 40 yard dash. The speed shows up on tape, too. His middle name on his Hudl profile is Roosevelt and well, I don't know if it's more awesome if that's real or he made it up. He's a move in from Baton Rouge but I know he was high on Texas when the staff went on the run of 2021 commits last Summer.

WR Quay Davis, Dallas Skyline: The former SMU commit, Texas commit, and current de-commit will make his way back to Austin this weekend. Davis has a complicated life, which in recruiting leads to uncertainty. But one thing that's undeniable is his fondness for the Longhorns remains. A re-commitment wouldn't surprise anyone.

WR Latrell Neville, Fort Bend Hightower: He's still the kid with potential awaiting awaiting a break out on the field. Neville is a good kid, with great size and upside, but again, his on-field performance might dictate just how much Texas and others push the promising pass-catcher from Fort Bend County.

WR JoJo Earle, Aledo: For months and months Texas was virtually the only school putting in significant effort for the explosive scoring machine. Then, during another productive season on the field, teams started noticing. LSU and TCU seem to be the ones in his ear the most, but now that Texas settled in on a receivers coach, let the new relationship-building begin. Earle left UT out of his Top 5, but that might end up being meaningless. It could be telling that before the season began he liked Texas and Oklahoma State. Texas can now sell the Oklahoma State offense in Austin. Also, Andre Coleman is a popular man with the wide receivers. It's time to get Earle around some of that current group.

OL Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor: One of the nation's top guards will be in Austin tomorrow. A Herb Hand favorite, getting the Mountain back on campus is big. You know UT commits Hayden Conner and Jalen Milroe are in his ear. They won't try to steer him, but they won't not not try to steer him.

OL Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor (TEXAS): The Big NASA will be accompanying his boys from Katy and help recruit for the class as he drops. Conner's looking more and more like a guard, but that's good, Texas needs to add some size to the position.

DL Shemar Turner, Desoto: At 6-foot-4 and 265 pounds, the defensive end prospect is an interesting projection. With his length it's likely he'll fill out and play inside in college. He showed vast improvement from his sophomore year to junior season. He's a surefire take and would replace missing on Marcus Burris, should that go as expected.

DL Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins: Perhaps the best defensive line prospect in-state for 2021 (that distinction will go down to the wire), the supremely self-confident kid who shares a locker room with the Milroe might be the biggest fan of UT's expected four-man front from new DC Chris Ash. Every school wants him - Alabama, LSU, OU - but a strong season from the Horns puts them squarely in this, if they aren't already. Kicking and screaming, imo.

DE Ja’Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan (TEXAS): Because they committed early and with little fanfare it probably goes understated how important it was landing Sanders and Billy Bowman Jr last season. Their subsequent performance in 2019 left them a few plays away from a 5A DI state title, but the on-field production displayed by Sanders can't go ignored. Sanders took the talent many knew we had and made it impossible to miss over the course of the playoffs His stock is scorching right now. He'll be a defensive end in college. This shift in scheme benefits him greatly.

DE Landon Jackson, Pleasant Grove: After a simply dominating junior campaign, that included a birth on the USA Today All-American first team and another 4A DII state title, Jackson's on-field production cannot go ignored. At almost 6-foot-6, 250, his future as and edge rusher is bright, whether he's standing up or has his hand in the ground. Texas looks good here but A&M and Ohio State have his ear. I don't think LSU or Arkansas are in this.

LB Derrick Harris, New Caney (TEXAS): The athletic 'backer and UT pledge was the glue for New Caney as they went undefeated during the regular season. Harris has some positional flexibility but will likely end up at off-the-ball linebacker.

CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball: You can keep Latrell McCutchin, Ibraheem is my top corner in-state for 2021. Former cornerback coach Jason Washington did a tremendous job laying the foundation for his services, but now he's Jay Valai's responsibility. Let's see those DFW ties put to use. This kid can turn-and-burn.

DB Billy Bowman Jr, Denton Ryan (TEXAS): Offense, ok. Defense, yeah. Another elite prospect that could be the quick-twitch receiver this program needs or nickel/safety who just keeps coming up big. Bowman earned national honors from Max Preps for his junior season.

DB JD Coffey, Kennedale: Things grew stale with Coffey and Texas. He didn't have the best junior campaign, but new defensive coordinator Chris Ash recently reached out to the Kennedale product to starting building the relationship. In a down year for safeties, the four-star with 15+ offers might be a commodity over the next 12 months. He's a good fit for the defense in the same way Xavion Alford is. These are heady types who excel in coverage. Coffey is more physical.

CB Hunter Washington, Katy: Texas was a little later than most in offering Washington but that won't hurt. At last check he's going to take his time. He's friends with the rest of the Katy faction.

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie: At 6-foot-4, 260, Campbell is looking like an early take and Texas did well to offer him so soon. This kid is a bull and I'm curious about his projection; guard or tackle. If he grows a little more, we're probably looking at a tackle. He has tons of athleticism.

We'll add more names once we get more confirmation.

Two final notes:

-- Andre Coleman will be by Aledo to see JoJo the Juke of Earle, as well as Everman to see 2021 tight end commit Juan Davis and Skyline to see Quay Davis.

-- Herb Hand will trip to Fort Worth All Saints to see the brothers Brockermeyer. [Edit: Hand and Yurcich already went by]

• Like 1

Irritating as fuck, but 247 seems to have abandoned the All Time Commits section of it's website. Is this a technical issue for just me, can anyone else see Boulware's All Time Commits?

The other interesting thing about Boulware is that he's had a firm, safe spot at OU for what, 6 years now? Jumping to Texas, despite being his alma mater, for a coach that is perceived to be on the hot seat, is unexpected. He also has previous experience coaching TEs. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Irritating as fuck, but 247 seems to have abandoned the All Time Commits section of it's website. Is this a technical issue for just me, can anyone else see Boulware's All Time Commits?

The other interesting thing about Boulware is that he's had a firm, safe spot at OU for what, 6 years now? Jumping to Texas, despite being his alma mater, for a coach that is perceived to be on the hot seat, is unexpected. He also has previous experience coaching TEs. 

Won't work for me as well.

1 hour ago, Hornsfan91 said:

OL Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor (TEXAS): The Big NASA will be accompanying his boys from Katy and help recruit for the class as he drops. Conner's looking more and more like a guard, but that's good, Texas needs to add some size to the position.

seen this a few times now.  is he supposed to lack athleticism or what. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

seen this a few times now.  is he supposed to lack athleticism or what. 

Yeah, when people move inside it is because they don't have the athleticism to stop speed rushers. Sometimes it is because they don't have the height or arm length or because they seem too squatty for tackle but in those instances, I don't buy the $9.95 opinions. If he was being moved to center, it would be a sure sign that he has the ghey nttiawwt.

Edited by Bevo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hornsfan91 said:

With NSD2 a little over three weeks away, I feel the most confident in Dixon, Dunson, and Alfred Collins for this class. All signs seem to be pointing in this direction, which would allow UT to finish with another Top 10 rated class.

No mention of Princely in this post, IT think we're out on him?

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Funny note, about half of Brennon Scott's latest retweets are Texas-related. DGF, Whittington, and Hullaby's little brother.

It was mentioned on a few sites as well. No one is addressing if the staff is pursuing, but that guy wants his offer to be commitable soooooo baaaaaaaaaaad

Take him, fuck it. He's a big linebacker with good downhill speed. We started a walk-on in the bowl game so 3*, laterally shitty, Brennon Scott has a real opportunity to play. Could also be a fullback type if need be.