Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He just seems to have a frame that could support the weight gain necessary to transition to LB...Foster’s body disintegrates on contact, makes me question how well he would hold up closer to the line of scrimmage.

Foster's issue was terrible tackling form followed by trying to play through the injury. He's also about the same size as Owens (6-2 210). Owens is also a decent amount faster than Foster.

Owens is a completely different story from Overshown. Owens might currently be a sub 4.4 guy and was playing safety at a high level in 6a football his senior year. He can stick at safety. Overshown might could too.. at a school not named Texas, where he's competing against a bunch of stud safeties 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He just seems to have a frame that could support the weight gain necessary to transition to LB...Foster’s body disintegrates on contact, makes me question how well he would hold up closer to the line of scrimmage.

Lulz. What a stupid fucking take. He played his whole freshman year near the line of scrimmage and didn’t suffer major injuries. He played more off the LOS this year and got hurt multiple times due to having more space to run at guys and torpedo his shoulder into them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yes.  I'm surprised fan boy Drumm hasn't been pumping the sunshine this morning.  Seems quiet on the OU boards about the in-home.

The in-home was an attempt to get them back in this recruitment, and Collins visiting today should negate whatever ground they possibly may have made up 

They should probably start looking for other options 

38 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Foster’s body disintegrates on contact, makes me question how well he would hold up closer to the line of scrimmage.

disintegrates like that USC receiver did when foster hit him?  foster played like shit in 2019 but he was hurt. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

No one is 100% wrong here... Foster loves contact but he's also not able to hold up over the course of a season.  So far, same goes for Overshown

Except that he did hold up for a whole season as a freshman when he was playing close to the line of scrimmage, so he did hold up over the course of a season playing at Joker, a position more akin to LB in our new defense. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 6

Apologies in advance for posting an actual football question, but to me Collins and Umanlyman and Broughton all seem like ideal 3-4 DEs because of their size and maybe not the best DEs in a 4 man front. They are all obviously takes and Collins and Broughton are athletic enough that it probably doesn't make a difference but I wonder if Ash's new scheme means we recruit differently going forward. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Except that he played in 12 games as a freshman when he was playing Joker close to the line of scrimmage, so he did hold up over the course of a season playing at Joker, a position more akin to LB in our new defense. 

Every comment I've made over the 2019 season involving Foster I advocated for getting back closer to the LOS... He's by far our best attacking DB.  But can't really tear into Hollywood as he's partially correct

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Apologies in advance for posting an actual football question, but to me Collins and Umanlyman and Broughton all seem like ideal 3-4 DEs because of their size and maybe not the best DEs in a 4 man front. They are all obviously takes and Collins and Broughton are athletic enough that it probably doesn't make a difference but I wonder if Ash's new scheme means we recruit differently going forward. 

Princely will grow into a DT, Collins can play at DE, as can VB..  On third and passing situations they can spin inside imo

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

From TFLoss.

DE Alfred Collins told OrangeBloods this morning he is headed to campus.

He’s always been ours to lose. I think having the staff issues sorted make this a done deal. Now that we are going to play with a four man front have two line coaches, I cannot see him playing anywhere else. 

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Broughton can play SDE or 3-tech in a 4 man front. Collins is probably a NT/3-tech. Princely is going to eat his way to NT/3-tech. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

My thought process while reading this.

giphy.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Owens is a completely different story from Overshown. Owens might currently be a sub 4.4 guy and was playing safety at a high level in 6a football his senior year. He can stick at safety. Overshown might could too.. at a school not named Texas, where he's competing against a bunch of stud safeties 

This is what I was about to post. Owens is elite athletically. I think some folks don’t realize how good he can become at safety. A high nfl draft pick is in his future if he can demonstrate the mental part of the safety position.

Don’t you not think I don’t know what you might be doing or not.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. What a stupid fucking take. He played his whole freshman year near the line of scrimmage and didn’t suffer major injuries. He played more off the LOS this year and got hurt multiple times due to having more space to run at guys and torpedo his shoulder into them. 

Exactly. Coach proper tackling technique and the risk of injury should reduce for all the defense.

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Overshown, Foster and Owens all need to be on the field at the same time.  The more freakishly athletic we are on defense the better.  Orlando absolutely wasted all our talent this year.

So much this. Loosely speaking, you want your 11 best athletes out on the field at the same time. I hope this translates to recruiting where the coaches scheme around the players and not fit players to the scheme because that is the quickest way to combat negative recruiting from other schools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I dont get it.

But in Response to your obvious troll, I think they will emphasize speed and disruption off the edge instead of run stuffing edge setters. I have no idea if Collins has the twitch to be that guy, but Princely, Ossai, etc should fit that bill. Think Joey and Nick Bosa as the blueprints for what will probably be looking for. 

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What's the dream finish and realistic finish to the 2020 class? 

Collins, Dixon, Dunson/Rakestraw are the optimistic-but-realistic finish.

Also getting Princely and a LB from left field are closer to the dream category.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 2

Collins, Dixon, Dunson/Rakestraw are the optimistic-but-realistic finish.
Also getting Princely and a LB from left field are closer to the dream category.

Who’s dreaming about Princely?

If he gets back in this class, good for him. He’ll be a lucky motherfucker. Princely will be quality depth at best.

43 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Here is Princely's senior HUDL. It looks like he could stay outside on the strong side.  

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8525681/5db1ef9c15f6670d98de05e0

Feels like I'm watching his weight increase as the video progressed.  He'd be optimal as a long armed DT once he adds muscle.  

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

Here is Princely's senior HUDL. It looks like he could stay outside on the strong side.  

Reminds me of Kerry Hyder... Good for most Big 12 teams but I'm not convinced Umanlyman is more than depth for UT.  He's going up against some pretty terrible linemen in that district

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

You can tell he's well coached, as soon as the ball is snapped he stands straight up (so he can see over the lineman blocking him) and doesn't actually move forward for a few seconds so that he can properly diagnose the play. Then after playing patty cake with the small child trying to block him he kind of lumbers after the ball carrier. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Fud said:

I'm actually encouraged by Majors' build. Wide and stocky. Good for a center, especially one as fluid and athletic as he is. He'll have a year and a half before he needs to compete for a starting spot. 

It now gets said all the time around here about incoming offensive linemen, but I still smile a little bit when I read it. We're so far from the depression of hoping incoming freshmen can get playing time. Add that there are guys ahead of these guys doing the same thing is a great feeling no matter what happens with the current staff. 

We've restocked the most difficult shelf to restock. 

• Like 7