Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

for those with the history   whens the last recruit we had committed,  that de-committed   then turned around and re-committed?   Not just here maybe anywhere?   Just curious

Bru McCoy made this an art form. Quay Davis (2021) decommitted but recently said Texas is still his leader.

It usually isn't how it goes down but it's not unheard of.

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like Rivals final rankings come out this week.

In typical rivals fashion, I think it's top ten today, top 100 tomorrow, top 250 weds, and then 3*4*s and position rankings Thursday 

So fucking dumb 

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

In typical rivals fashion, I think it's top ten today, top 100 tomorrow, top 250 weds, and then 3*4*s and position rankings Thursday 

So fucking dumb 

Looks like it's the entire week.  Saw this from the Rivals site.

2020 RIVALS RANKINGS WEEK:

Monday: Top 10 released

Tuesday: Rivals100 released

Wednesday: Rivals250 released

Thursday/Friday: Final position rankings released

Saturday: Team rankings breakdown

Sunday: Final state rankings released

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

10. LB Noah Sewell
9. TE Arik Gilbert
8. LB Justin Flowe
7. CB Kelee Ringo
6. CB Elias Ricks
5. T Broderick Jones
4. DE Myles Murphy
3. QB DJ Ungdfioleilei
2. QB Bryce Young
1. DL Bryan Bresee

shit..i'm ready for the aggy crying over Demas and Evans not being top 10 players

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

After watching the tape, the Dunson guy didn't have the requisite wheels for them to be excited.

They're stupidly late but all in on Rakestraw. If Bama wants him, he's probably theirs. Texas has the best shot otherwise.

Savion Williams is visiting TCU this weekend, but Texas wants him ... now. Hoping to get him in.

High confidence in where things stand with Umanlymanlymaniaman and Collins.

Should get Dixon. 

They want/need 2 more WRs in this class. 

Nobody has a strong grip on where Bradford's head is. Texas would take him. 

Javonne Shepherd was begging to rejoin the team after figuring out there was low interest in the market outside of ATM. Hard to let him back in after firing the ol'double aught 0.0 though. 

I'll tell the Evans story on the non-UT 2020 thread. Let me know if there's a name you're curious about. I don't take notes, so I might remember something otherwise.

again, thanks for sharing all this info.. really appreciate it.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

After watching the tape, the Dunson guy didn't have the requisite wheels for them to be excited.

They're stupidly late but all in on Rakestraw. If Bama wants him, he's probably theirs. Texas has the best shot otherwise.

Savion Williams is visiting TCU this weekend, but Texas wants him ... now. Hoping to get him in.

Should get Dixon. 

Javonne Shepherd was begging to rejoin the team after figuring out there was low interest in the market outside of ATM. Hard to let him back in after firing the ol'double aught 0.0 though. 

I'll tell the Evans story on the non-UT 2020 thread. Let me know if there's a name you're curious about. I don't take notes, so I might remember something otherwise.

Heard anything on Lake McCree?

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Should get Dixon. 

Somebody transferring at WR?

Edited by Hank_Hill

1 hour ago, Richter said:

Heard anything on Lake McCree?

No, I didn't bring it up. @Longhorn94 already gave us the kiss of death on McCree though, didn't he? I think there is smoke around Texas, under new management, not being super-enthused about ol'Lake, but I can't say I've heard that from someone that I'd say knows their shit better than anybody else.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea sorry I meant from Texas. That too though

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Maybe Woodard. We’re also just light in numbers.

Yeah, I think the staff is doing what we're all doing and saying "shit man, we need some help". For sure there is also just some risk inside the numbers at the spot, but I asked about current WR depth specifically and while they need more depth, they have moved off of defcon 5 for the time being with regard to transfers out.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

No, I didn't bring it up. @Longhorn94 already gave us the kiss of death on McCree though, didn't he? I think there is smoke around Texas, under new management, not being super-enthused about ol'Lake, but I can't say I've heard that from someone that I'd say knows their shit better than anybody else.

Yeah, I think the staff is doing what we're all doing and saying "shit man, we need some help". For sure there is also just some risk inside the numbers at the spot, but I asked about current WR depth specifically and while they need more depth, they have moved off of defcon 5 for the time being with regard to transfers out.

Do you mean DEFCON 1 or are you saying they used to think everything was perfect and now they're a little scared about transfers?

17 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Do you mean DEFCON 1 or are you saying they used to think everything was perfect and now they're a little scared about transfers?

I can’t be the only guy getting that one backwards. I assume I meant defcon 1 and thought to myself as I typed earlier “well, which is it? fuck it. someone will correct me if i am wrong. “ Voila. 

• Like 1

IT Inside Scoop

ALFRED COLLINS

Decision time is approaching for 2020 Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins.

Alabama, Oklahoma, and Texas are the top three contenders for Collins' services, with Baylor eliminated on Saturday.

Collins is familiar with Texas, living just down the road in Bastrop and with his mother being a former letterwinner under Jody Conradt. Despite his familiarity with the Forty Acres, he still wanted to make sure he learned what new defensive coordinator Chris Ash was about.

"I was talking with the new defensive coordinator to see how the scheme is, and I liked it," Collins said Sunday.

Collins mentioned Ash didn't show him only four-man fronts, but other fronts as well. Playing in one particular front isn't a huge deal to Collins, he just wants to be able to show off his ability. "I like having flexibility," he said.

Ash made an impression on Collins during the visit.

"I liked him," Collins said. "He seems very focused and intense, and I like that."

Since the All-American Bowl, Collins has said he wants to see all of his finalists before deciding on February 5. He said he still wants to get back to Norman and Tuscaloosa, but hasn't solidified those plans yet.

Tom Herman and Lincoln Riley have yet to use their in-home visits. Collins said he expects Nick Saban to use his in-home visit today. Those visits for Collins will be one of the last chances schools have to make an impression on him.

"I just want to have the home visits to refresh my memory on everything then go from there," Collins said.

PRINCELY UMANMIELEN

It's safe to say Texas is once again a contender for 2020 Manor DL Princely Umanmielen.

"I'm more interested than I was before," the former Longhorn commit said. "They're up there now."

There are several reasons why Umanmielen remains interested in Texas. His position coach, Oscar Giles, is still on staff. He's familiar with the program and what it's about.

Now, he has a new reason; Chris Ash and his defense.

"He showed me some of the clips from Ohio State's defense when he was over there," Umanmielen said. "He said they'll be running something very similar to that and he'll be using me mostly as a 5(-tech)."

Umanmielen said Florida, Oregon, Auburn, and Alabama are schools Texas is competing with for his signature. He plans to visit Florida and one of the two Alabama schools in the next two weekends.

After those two trips, he'll have one more official visit remaining. Umanmielen didn't rule out using his last official visit on Austin in the middle of the week.

As a former commit, Umanmielen prepared for some awkwardness, but never felt any of that. He did speak to Xavion Alford, Hudson Card, and other early enrollees from the 2020 class.

Umanmielen plans to decide on NSD2.

• Like 2

Yeah, Burt Macklin and others will have their heads explode, but the move to a 4 man front is a big deal to the recruits. Forgot to post that earlier. Facts about what other programs do or don’t do on defense don’t mean much when a recruit is hearing nothing but negative and then seeing it on the field as well. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, Burt Macklin and others will have their heads explode, but the move to a 4 man front is a big deal to the recruits. Forgot to post that earlier. Facts about what other programs do or don’t do on defense don’t mean much when a recruit is hearing nothing but negative and then seeing it on the field as well. 

We were ninth in the conference in sacks with 22, with Baylor leading at 43. We had ONE SACK against La Tech, five against Utah which is more in line with our talent. I mean I understand you have to balance attack versus contain, stop the run game etc., but so does every other team. We didn't produce results in Orlando's scheme, for whatever reason.

Also, to state the obvious, players want playing time.

Edited by Thetexashammer

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is disingenuous at best, but you knew that when you wrote it. 
The problem has always been the last part you mentioned: No results on the field, which is much more the fault of Orlando than 3 man fronts being impossible to recruit to, which is what a bunch of people on here always try to say. 
Ive expected Ash’s scheme/results (JJ Watt + Bosa and others at tOSU) to make it easier for us to recruit DL and have an immediate impact with guys like Princely, Collins, Jackson, etc.  Plus, Harvdog tells us that Tunmise is a huge fan of the new 4 man front, just not enough of a fan to, you know, actually visit or meet the new staff.

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Should get Dixon. 

A&M actually lost interest fairly quickly despite what the fan boys on Tex Ags were saying. He apparently Q dropped so many classes that he would have had at best 3 hours to transfer. And then he apparently flunked the one class he was still enrolled in. In the end, he never had any option other than to repair his transcript at a JUCO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is disingenuous at best, but you knew that when you wrote it. 
The problem has always been the last part you mentioned: No results on the field, which is much more the fault of Orlando than 3 man fronts being impossible to recruit to, which is what a bunch of people on here always try to say. 
Ive expected Ash’s scheme/results (JJ Watt + Bosa and others at tOSU) to make it easier for us to recruit DL and have an immediate impact with guys like Princely, Collins, Jackson, etc.  Plus, Harvdog tells us that Tunmise is a huge fan of the new 4 man front, just not enough of a fan to, you know, actually visit or meet the new staff.

You must have misread me or something. I wasn’t being disingenuous. I meant that 16-19 year old guys were hearing the negative, oversimplified takes from other schools that they’d never be anything but bitches in Orlando’s 3 man front. We may know better, but that has been a thing. 

Have all the chicken littles that were crying about the coaching search being a clusterfuck and not going according to their preferred schedule come back in off the ledge? Or are they now just waiting for new DL coach to be announced so they can proclaim this the worst coaching staff in D1 football?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Have all the chicken littles that were crying about the coaching search being a clusterfuck and not going according to their preferred schedule come back in off the ledge? Or are they now just waiting for new DL coach to be announced so they can proclaim this the worst coaching staff in D1 football?

Some are still freaking out about not having a DL coach even though we already have a DL coach. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Given that Texas is recovering from what might have actually been the worst coaching staff in P5, this joke is too soon. Of course, Rutgers and Arkansas might be saying hold their beers, but they fixed their problems in mid season. 

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

yeah i probably killed our chances! lol

i dont know whats going on with Lake from UT's side. I asked my son if Lake had mentioned anything new or different and he said last time they talked about it last week, he was still all Texas. If I hear anything new, I will pass it along.

• Like 1