Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You’d look older too if you were killing yourself on the recruiting trail like Mack.

I’m being semi-serious in that this season, and just this season, I thought that Saban actually ended up looking less healthy than Mack. He’s suddenly more stooped and his hair has really started to bald out. I’m sure it’s just in my head or something that a national title run could fix, but I really thought he started to look his age. 

2 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

You guys are monuments to patience, so I knew you would enjoy this tweet.

So are we needing a rainmaking witch for the DT position coach?  Giles can coach both positions by default, right?  He just needs a version of BC with him to grab the kids attention?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I’m being semi-serious in that this season, and just this season, I thought that Saban actually ended up looking less healthy than Mack. He’s suddenly more stooped and his hair has really started to bald out. I’m sure it’s just in my head or something that a national title run could fix, but I really thought he started to look his age. 

I believe you about the balding. You are an authority on the subject. 

3 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

You guys are monuments to patience, so I knew you would enjoy this tweet.

There's a pretty good shot that they already have their guy, but they're waiting until the day after signing day to make it all official. I don't think anyone paying attention is griping about the strategy. Of course, I feel like with every post in which anyone offers optimism that Herman is being strategic and using sound logic, we need to caveat it with "or maybe it's just more arrogant fuckheadery from Herman, so who knows?"

• Like 4

That's clearly the plan so the real problem here is all you recruiting honks that haven't scoured the internet to see what defensive line coach has not been mentioned in any recruiting stories recently at other schools. Or who has been removed from the staff directory at his now former school or the coaches page at his now former NFL employer. Basically @texifornia is lazy and we need @Machinator back.

Also, do we know for a fact that Machinator didn't die? I mean he posted dozens and dozens of times on the TX/OU game thread then nothing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Wouldn’t bother me if they let Carrington do his thing, then announce the hire.

Per his Instagram, Carrington is in Beaumont/Port A. '21 DL Jordan Thomas is out there which supports the working assumption that Carrington is focusing on DL recruiting.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also, do we know for a fact that Machinator didn't die? I mean he posted dozens and dozens of times on the TX/OU game thread then nothing.

Somebody knows his twitter handle and reached out after he disappeared. MAchinator allegedly replied that he was taking some time off. 

21 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Updated Rivals 100 ... 6 Aggies (most of them have moved up), 1 Longhorn.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals100/

shocked that Demas went up 18 spots despite not playing a snap in 2019. not saying downgrade him, his talent is obvious, but zero snaps should have you moving from the low 30s into the top 15 in the country. 

Sav'ell Smalls down 36. Oh ok. 

The Rivals/Adidas partnership (read trainer led bullshit) has made what was already the worst rankings in the industry a fucking clown show. Total nonsense. Clearly for some loose change Rivals will slide your player of choice to fit your narrative. There are guys that schools cut loose or barely recruited that are in the Rivals 100. Utter nonsense. 

also fuck mike farrell

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

The Rivals/Adidas partnership (read trainer led bullshit) has made what was already the worst rankings in the industry a fucking clown show. Total nonsense. Clearly for some loose change Rivals will slide your player of choice to fit your narrative. There are guys that schools cut loose or barely recruited that are in the Rivals 100. Utter nonsense. 

also fuck mike farrell

that is what i don't get - down 36 spots but still in the top 50 makes no sense on paper

• if he had a bad season, then he should drop further into the back part of the top 100 or out totally 
  • if he had a just ok season that is a long way to drop him when you moved guys like Evans and Demas up so much
  • if he was mostly projection and not stats/results and stayed that way why bump him down so far
  • if he was mostly stats/results and not much projection he shouldn't have been that high in the first place

so either you fucked up in your evals and are protecting yourself, you have a bad process or there are external things in play. 

1 minute ago, NoName said:

shocked that Demas went up 18 spots despite not playing a snap in 2019. not saying downgrade him, his talent is obvious, but zero snaps should have you moving from the low 30s into the top 15 in the country. 

He had some good plays at the Polynesian Bowl, which may have influenced Rivals.  (Interestingly, 247 did not include him in their top offensive performers there.)

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

also fuck mike farrell

Beyond that, Rivals doesn't even attempt to evaluate recruits. Mike Craven was calling them out for this a few weeks ago and it's definitely true. 

Collins and Broughton have serious cases for being top five in the state, which should put them in the top 50. EJ Smith probably doesn't belong in the top thirty in the state.. Those are the main issues

I think the top five in the state are in no particular order Demas, Sanders, Collins, Broughton, and Jones, with Evans, Smith-Njigba, Jackson, and Johnston all having cases and are next up 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think that's fair.  Several years ago I would have said Saban was a guy who looks really good for his age compared to Mack.  Lately I've been thinking that he's a guy who's finally showing his age despite best efforts to the contrary (e.g., tanning, hair coloring, dental work). 

He is 68 now. These long football seasons have to be taking a toll on the man. I'm afraid he helped usher in an environment much too difficult to handle over a long period of time. He gets what he deserves though, for his win at all costs (rules aren't for me) attitude.

Edited by pacman

Those Rivals100 rankings are brutal. They're punishing guys like Alfred Collins for not coming to their Adidas camps, and it's quite clear the anti-Big 12 vendetta over there with Mike Farrell and Sam Spiegelman is for real.

A&M has six commits in the Top 100. The entire Big 12 has just three. It's sickening to read, honestly.

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Roach - unconfirmed reports he may visit end of the month.

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Think he'll end up in the class 

Just now, closetojumping said:

They want him, he wants to come here. They need bodies. He's not a bad player, so, meh, makes sense and what have you.

Thanks, fellas.

Fud and CTJ, hope you guys are right.