Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

37 minutes ago, RichUT said:

For the life of me, I’ll never understand the consternation over rankings. Feels like we used to ridicule aggy for this behavior during the Fran era.

Sure, Rivals has an agenda and a sketchy approach to ranking kids. Why give them any attention about it at this point.

In summary, get off my lawn.

look at the forum you are in.

look at the thread you are in.

someday GIF

34 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Thats MUCH better. I think JQJ fucked someones mom at Rivals, only explanation

Really wish he would have been able to enroll early if they are set on initially giving him snaps at quarterback. Personally I'd prefer to make him a LB day 1 and roll with Thompson, Card and Milroe in 2021. Now please bookmark this post to throw in my face in a few years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

King and Achane didn't make Rivals top 250

speaking of Haynes fucking King

saw a video on FB of greatest TXHSFB players posted by Fox Sports Southwest: 

...someone on there mentions Haynes King as one of the greatest players ever. 

i rewound it to see if maybe there was another Haynes King - but they they go to his Dad (the Longview coach) next and ask him about it.

there is literally no universe in which Haynes King is the greatest TXHSFB QB of even the last 5-10 years (Kyler Murray) much less all time. 

Edited by NoName

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So like Ford's ranking in Texas is #158 on ESPN, #112 on Rivals, and #135 on 247 but is #161 in the composite, doesn't add up?  The ESPN one may have just been updated IDK, just curious. 

Same with Welch.  #156 on ESPN, #110 on Rivals, and #134 on 247, but #160 in the composite.

It's possible they both got moved up some on ESPN and Rivals hasn't done the full state rankings yet either.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

So like Ford's ranking in Texas is #158 on ESPN, #112 on Rivals, and #135 on 247 but is #161 in the composite, doesn't add up?  The ESPN one may have just been updated IDK, just curious. 

Same with Welch.  #156 on ESPN, #110 on Rivals, and #134 on 247, but #160 in the composite.

It's possible they both got moved up some on ESPN and Rivals hasn't done the full state rankings yet either.

247 composite updates next week with their new rankings as well.

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It can add up if the composite isn't wildly different. Example:

image.png.7263b596b25324a6e970b61d8594cc36.png

Look at Recruit G. 5th in each service, 7th in composite. Using weights for the different services doesn't remove this possibility.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It can add up if the composite isn't wildly different. Example:

image.png.7b900cd02fe2953e5cbcd8f5b02dbd35.png

Look at Recruit G. 5th in each service, 7th in composite. Using weights for the different services doesn't remove this possibility.

i know after Rivals got hoodwinked with that fake recruit, 247 said they were changing the weighting and some other things involving the composite. i believe they give more weight to their rankings vs others (so it isn't a simple avg)

they use "scores" not rank # i think, so a composite rank of 1 across all systems in a simple avg would be a composite "score" of 1.0000 i think - then they rank everyone by their "score" 

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

i know after Rivals got hoodwinked with that fake recruit, 247 said they were changing the weighting and some other things involving the composite. i believe they give more weight to their rankings vs others (so it isn't a simple avg)

they use "scores" not rank # i think, so a composite rank of 1 across all systems in a simple avg would be a composite "score" of 1.0000 i think - then they rank everyone by their "score" 

Right but using scores versus ranks makes it even more possible to have this situation happen.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NoName said:

i rewound it to see if maybe there was another Haynes King - but they they go to his Dad (the Longview coach) next and ask him about it.

there is literally no universe in which Haynes King is the greatest TXHSFB QB of even the last 5-10 years (Kyler Murray) much less all time. 

Haynes King wasn't even the greatest 6A QB of 2019.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Akinola Ogunbiyi 112. 

Alfred Collins 146. 

eugene levy shrug GIF by Vanity Fair

Isiahia Raikes 207. 

Jalen Kimber 209.

bruh GIF

ADIDASSSSSSSSSSSS 

I was waiting for the Raikes ranking. lol. He went to all the regional adidas/rivals camps. Unsurprisingly, he got connected to A&M through that Adidas circuit and is way overrated by Rivals at 209. Both ESPN and 247 have him as a 3 star. 247 has him as the #619 player in the country. 

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Thats MUCH better. I think JQJ fucked someones mom at Rivals, only explanation

The explanation is he never went to any of their camps. Pretty much all the guys Rivals has way under ranked compared to the other services are guys who didn’t go to their camps. 

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Really wish he would have been able to enroll early if they are set on initially giving him snaps at quarterback. Personally I'd prefer to make him a LB day 1 and roll with Thompson, Card and Milroe in 2021. Now please bookmark this post to throw in my face in a few years.

No way. JQJ’s ceiling as a QB is way too high to not give him a shot there. If he pans out at QB, it will increase UT’s win total drastically more than him being an all-conference LB. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I doubt the composite has updated yet since the new Rivals and ESPN rankings

49 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Haynes King wasn't even the greatest QB at Longview High....I'll take James Street (4-sport letterman, for 3 years.)

Of the famous Longview football players, Haynes King will be way down the list.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NoName said:

speaking of Haynes fucking King

saw a video on FB of greatest TXHSFB players posted by Fox Sports Southwest: 

...someone on there mentions Haynes King as one of the greatest players ever. 

It was one moron at Vandegrift. Who cares? They couldn't get his Dad to agree (hell his Dad was surprised his kid was tough enough to play) and the Vandegrift guy basically had no argument.

Horns 247 / Wiltfong / Texas Longhorns buzz regarding Top247 DE Alfred Collins

Spoiler

Texas Longhorns buzz regarding Top247 DE Alfred Collins

Steve Wiltfong

Talking to a couple sources with knowledge of the recruitment, this is the best I've felt about Texas chances to land Bastrop (Texas) Cedar Creek Top247 defensive end Alfred Collins since early in the fall.

Oklahoma remains the biggest challenger and Alabama the dark horse for the 6-foot-5, 275-pound Collins who has already exhausted all his officials but returned to Austin over the weekend.

I was starting to buy stock in Oklahoma and Baylor for Collins, but with Texas making a change on defense and adopting a four-man front, the defense is a better fit for the ballyhooed Collins who before the process started always pictured himself wearing Burnt Orange.

Between the new defense, the family ties and having an in-state degree from the Longhorns, I think those things have Texas in the driver seat.

All that being said, Collins is keeping strong dialogue with the Sooners and Tide and Oklahoma is expected at his basketball game Friday. The nation's No. 3 strong-side defensive end knows he's a priority in Norman as well.

Collins is tabbed by the Top247 as the nation's No. 40 prospect and is included in the final discussions as a potential five-star going into our final rankings.

As a senior Collins registered 86 tackles including 35 stops for loss, eight sacks and four forced fumbles.

• Like 6

Horns 247 / Greg Biggins / Zachary Evans vs Bijan Robinson, who's nation's top RB prospect?

(Love the comments about his ability as a receiver (good enough to be a 4 star receiver if he played that position, exclusively).  I watched portions of the Polynesian Bowl, and a couple of his moves were Saquon Barkely - ish ... )).

Spoiler

Zachary Evans vs Bijan Robinson, who's nation's top RB prospect?
GREG BIGGINS

The 2020 class is one of the deepest in recent memory at the running back position. Zachary Evans has held the top spot for over a year but there’s another back making a strong push for top overall player at the position.

There is no doubt Evans is a special talent and he showed exactly why at the recent Under Armour All-American Game that I was at. When breaking him down, there really isn’t weakness in his game and he’s one of those backs that just does everything well.

Watching him go through the drills, he just looked different then the other backs and again, the other players in his group were all very talented in their own right. Evans had a different look to him and showed another level of burst, acceleration, balance, feel and vision.

He’s a naturally instinctive runner with underrated power. He can finish off a run and pick up the tough yards after contact while showing the quickness and top end speed and to get the edge and out run a defense. He was MVP of the Under Armour Game and looked like the most talented player in the event.

Unfortunately with Evans, it’s not just about football. He had an up and down year and that’s putting it nicely. There were multiple off the field issues and when it comes to player rankings, you always have to ask the question, how much influence should that factor in?

Everyone would agree that character counts but when it comes to players still in high school, it’s tough to project. How much is just immaturity and a player needing to grow up versus a player with serious attitude issues where you know said player will be a locker room detriment.

Right now, there are a handful of schools that are betting on Evans. He just visited Ole Miss last weekend and is slated to check out Florida (Jan. 31). According to 247Sports analyst Steve Wiltfong, Florida State and Tennessee are vying for a visit this weekend. Georgia, where Evans initially signed a letter of intent but was later released from it and Texas A&M remain in the mix as well.

So saying all that, even if you remove the off field issues with Evans, is he still the nation’s most talented running back? For me, after seeing Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic RB and Texas signee Bijan Robinson all week during the Polynesian Bowl, he was every bit as impressive as Evans was a few weeks ago during UA week.

Our national staff who saw Robinson at the All-American Bowl in San Antonio also raved about him as well and the two actually have very similar skill sets.

They’re similar in size, both about 5-11, 6-0 and a solid 200 pounds although Robinson looks a little thicker overall. Robinson is a decisive down hill back, probably more quick then fast but still with plenty enough top end speed to hit the home run from anywhere. He's elusive, can make you miss and is tough to bring down in the open field.

He runs through defenders, has plenty of open field wiggle and during the Poly Bowl, looked like a threat to score almost every time he touched the ball. He has elite vision, can change direction and stop and start on a dime. He runs hard consistently and is always attacking the line of scrimmage.

The one area Robinson has an edge on not just Evans but every other back in the class is as a pass catcher. Robinson has elite level hands out of the backfield and is good enough as a pass catcher that we would probably rate him as a four-star prospect at receiver if he wasn’t such a good running back.

We’ve seen him dominate 7v7 passing events as a receiver and he might be the best pass catching running back to come out of the West since Joe Mixon five years ago. His production is off the charts as well and he averaged an incredible 203 yards a game on nearly 18 yards a carry this past season with 38 touchdowns.

His off the field work ethic is extremely high and he’s as a high character a kid as you’ll find who could be a future captain for the Longhorns.

It’s very close between the two backs. Evans probably has a little bit of an edge in terms of his burst and explosiveness, Robinson is better out of the backfield and might have a small edge in power. Both are talented and have been highly productive their whole high school careers. It's a fun debate and one our recruiting team is still tackling with final rankings slated for release next week. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rakestraw's OV to Bama' is this weekend.  Lets see if he makes it back home without committing.

Recruiting Rakestraw is like me taking an STD test in college. I might have passed, but I didn’t deserve to. 

We were in way too late and we only win if Alabama does not push for him. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

@Hiphopopotamos asked about where Haynes King was in the Looch 44 over @ the A&M thread so sharing the updates/changes here as well. 

it was about time for me to update this comparison, here is what it was on 8/13

Top 10 back in August:

Spoiler

1. Demas (A&M Commit)
  2. Zach Evans
  3. Drew Sanders (Bama)
  4. Seth McGowan (OU)
  5. JQJ (Texas Commit)
  6. McClellan (OU)
  7. Alfred Collins
  8. Jaylon Jones (A&M Commit)
  9. Troy Omeire (A&M Commit)
  10. Chad Lindberg (UGA)

Here is what it is now:

1. Demond Demas (A&M)
  2. Zach Evans 
  3. Jaylon Jones (A&M, was 8 )
  4. Drew Sanders (Bama, was 3)
  5. Jaxon Smith 
  6. Haynes King (A&M, was 15!)
  7. Alfred Collins 
  8. Devon Achane (A&M, was 20!! - yes he is the same guy who is #27 in Texas in the composite)
  9. JQJ (Texas, was 5)
  10. Jalen Kimber (was 16)

Other notes:

Spoiler

• 11 McClellan (was 6!!!)
  • 12 EJ Smith (was 35)
  • 15 Aki Ogunbiyi (was 25)
  • 20 Seth McGowan (was 4!!!!)
  • 21 Chad Lindberg (was 10)
  • 22 Princely (was 12)
  • 27 Troy Omeire (was #9 in the State and an A&M commit then lol!!!!!)
  • 30 Chris Thompson (was 17)
  • 31 Jaylen Garth (was 22 - how does he only fall this far after being injured and not playing at all?!)
  • 39 Josh Eaton (was 26)
  • 40 Kitian Crawford (was 19)
  • NR Dorbah (was 40)

•  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Everyone was in late on Rakestraw, but interesting that both Bama and Texas came in as late as they did, 7 and 10 days after Georgia. 

The mouth breather, Roach thinks Missouri is the one to beat. I think I heard that right on the podcast through his various Darth Vader impressions. 

• Like 1

Just now, Newy25 said:

The mouth breather, Roach thinks Missouri is the one to beat. I think I heard that right on the podcast through his various Darth Vader impressions. 

Seems Missouri was the first legit conference school to offer, I guess that's what Roach is "guessing" off of. That was three months ago. Took another two months before the other bigger offers started rolling in, and pretty much all at once outside of Bama and Texas. Hopefully Texas can use its late start as some type of recency bias with the kid.