Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

19 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The mouth breather, Roach thinks Missouri is the one to beat. I think I heard that right on the podcast through his various Darth Vader impressions. 

Yeah. Because loyalty to that first offer means everything to recruiting these days. For a guy who's been around this game for a spell, Roach sure does seem to know exactly fuck all of how these things work. He's like the Harvdog of 995ers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. Because loyalty to that first offer means everything to recruiting these days. For a guy who's been around this game for a spell, Roach sure does seem to know exactly fuck all of how these things work. He's like the Harvdog of 995ers. 

It's also how we lost Latrell McCutchin we're fucking everything up fire everyone /sarcasm

• Haha 1

Just now, texifornia said:

It's also how we lost Latrell McCutchin we're fucking everything up fire everyone /sarcasm

Ha. I certainly thought of how it gets held against us. But then I also thought about "First to Offer" is probably the 1A or 1B of all aTm recruiting posts when they slam those crystal balls to college station 2+ years out. In other words, Roach should work for Billy Liucci or Brian Perroni. 

35 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

aaaand right on time (ok, an hour ago)

Valai’s gonna have to learn how to do the hook’ em to the side, so his Charlie Strong pointer finger doesn’t cover his whole face. 

28 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Dude on the far left is Hutzler?

Yes. It’s striking how much less punchable his face looks compared to Mehringer. 

• Like 1

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Notes on Bradford and Dixon

Spoiler

Some notes from today

MikeRoach

I just left Lancaster high school where I saw some underclassmen and checked in on Kevontre Bradford. Texas is working hard for an OV, but it sounds like LSU is the team to beat. If Bradford makes it out of his official visit to Baton Rouge uncommitted, Texas might still have a fighting chance. That said, it’s going to be a monumental task to land Bradford at this point.

Kelvontay Dixon is slated to visit Texas this weekend, and it was supposed to be his only remaining trip. I’ve received word that Dixon is planning another official visit. Gabe Brooks will have details on that later. I think Texas would like to close the deal this weekend and remove that other visit from the equation.

16 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Notes on Bradford and Dixon

Hide contents

Some notes from today

MikeRoach

I just left Lancaster high school where I saw some underclassmen and checked in on Kevontre Bradford. Texas is working hard for an OV, but it sounds like LSU is the team to beat. If Bradford makes it out of his official visit to Baton Rouge uncommitted, Texas might still have a fighting chance. That said, it’s going to be a monumental task to land Bradford at this point.

Kelvontay Dixon is slated to visit Texas this weekend, and it was supposed to be his only remaining trip. I’ve received word that Dixon is planning another official visit. Gabe Brooks will have details on that later. I think Texas would like to close the deal this weekend and remove that other visit from the equation.

Ole miss?

6 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I'm not sure what to make of this Dixon recruitment. Is he looking around for guaranteed playing time? Does he still have hard feelings about us slow playing him?

He wants to play.

What's hurting us is all of the playing time Malcolm Epps received this year and the perception by players that playing time was not given based on merit. If the coaching staff can convince him that has changed, they should wrap it up this weekend. I don't know where the other visit could be to, but an Arky adjacent school would make sense. 

30 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He wants to play.

What's hurting us is all of the playing time Malcolm Epps received this year and the perception by players that playing time was not given based on merit. If the coaching staff can convince him that has changed, they should wrap it up this weekend. I don't know where the other visit could be to, but an Arky adjacent school would make sense. 

What playing time did his brother merit over RoJo?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

What playing time did his brother merit over RoJo?

What he earned for averaging more yards per rush and catch?

Dont get me wrong, I love Rojo - probably my favorite player on last years team alongside Dev - but both backs had games where they looked good and others where they looked like shit. Weirdly it seemed like they alternated games.

The real question should be what did Sam do to warrant leading the team in carries?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

What he earned for averaging more yards per rush and catch?

Dont get me wrong, I love Rojo - probably my favorite player on last years team alongside Dev - but both backs had games where they looked good and others where they looked like shit. Weirdly it seemed like they alternated games.

The real question should be what did Sam do to warrant leading the team in carries?

Just felt like Kelvontay’s perception isn’t warranted.  First, Mehringer is no longer here.  Second, Epps has been moved to tight end where I suspect he will never see the light of day unless he wakes up one day and turns into Lattimer from The Program.  Both issues have been addressed, so if Dixon doesn’t come then he is making excuses.

Horns 24 / Gabe Brooks / Kelvontay Dixon schedules another in-state official visit

Spoiler

Kelvontay Dixon schedules another in-state official visit
GABE BROOKS

Carthage (Texas) High School 2020 four-star athlete Kelvontay Dixon is expected to take an official visit this weekend to Texas, which overwhelmingly leads the 247Sports Crystal Ball. But Dixon confirmed Thursday afternoon that he has scheduled another late-cycle official visit the weekend of Jan. 31 to Houston.

The Cougars have been occasionally rumored behind the scenes as a team to watch for Dixon, who quietly took an unofficial visit early in the fall while still committed to Arkansas. However, the Houston official visit comes somewhat as a surprise to those who have been following Dixon's recruitment closely.

The 6-foot, 180-pound Dixon committed in early July to the Razorbacks, but re-opened his recruitment in November following the firing of Chad Morris. Dixon canceled an official visit Jan. 17 weekend to Arkansas. UTSA was in line to get an official visit, but that so far has not materialized, either. I still believe the Roadrunners have a shot to get Dixon on a visit before he makes a decision, but the chances are starting to go down. UTSA head coach Jeff Traylor has a close relationship with Dixon, whose commitment to Arkansas was tied directly to Traylor's recruiting efforts as an assistant on Morris' staff.

All nine 247Sports Crystal Ball forecasts in Dixon's recruitment have gone to Texas, which sources indicate has prioritized Dixon down the stretch leading to National Signing Day on Wednesday, Feb. 5. Texas receivers coach Andre Coleman is now the primary recruiter for Dixon with the Longhorns. Offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson recruits Dixon for Houston. Dixon has a strong tie to Texas via Keaontay Ingram, Dixon's older brother and the Longhorns' starting running back.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Dixon as a four-star recruit ranked No. 14 nationally among 2020 athlete prospects and No. 51 overall in the state of Texas for his class. The 247Sports rankings put Dixon higher in both categories: No. 10 nationally among 2020 athletes and No. 35 overall in the Lone Star State.

Dixon is fresh off a senior season that saw him play a key role in Carthage's 16-0 campaign and Texas Class 4A Division I state championship, the Bulldogs' seventh state title since 2008. Dixon, who can move around the formation and contribute in the return game, caught 73 passes for 1,223 yards and 20 touchdowns, while rushing for 234 yards and two TD's on 7.3 yards per carry.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is the most likely finish Collins, Umanmielen, S. Williams, Dixon, and hopefully Rakestraw?

That'd give us 22 commits.

- We are - hopefully - a clear favorite for Collins.

- I really don't think we are that for any of Uman, Savion, Kelvontay, or Rakestraw. 

- Individually, we're very much contenders, but 4/4 I would think is not very likely.

• Like 2

Horns 247 / Gabe Brooks / Kevontre Bradford buzz entering LSU official visit

Spoiler

Kevontre Bradford buzz entering LSU official visit
GABE BROOKS

Lancaster (Texas) High School 2020 four-star running back Kevontre Bradford will arrive Friday in Baton Rouge, La., for his official visit at LSU. The Tigers originally offered Bradford and late September and have stayed in contact with the Dallas-area standout ever since. This weekend gives head coach Ed Orgeron and his staff their crack at landing one of the top uncommitted players in the Lone Star State.

The 5-foot-11, 193-pound Bradford has played the process very close to the vest. Ohio State looked like the frontrunner in the fall, and Bradford took an early October official visit with the Buckeyes, but the Big Ten power went another direction at the running back position. Bradford took a June official visit to Wisconsin, but the Badgers have not been a contender in his recruitment for some time.

Down the stretch, Texas has ramped up its pursuit of Bradford, who got his offer from Texas in mid-December before the dead period began. The Longhorns hope to get Bradford on campus for an official visit the final weekend before National Signing Day. Oklahoma State and Missouri have been on the periphery down the stretch, but sources indicate that LSU is the frontrunner entering his official visit, with Texas trying to close the gap on the Tigers.

“LSU is in need of a running back before the 2020 cycle ends, and Bradford’s official visit comes at just the right time," said Geaux247.com insider Shea Dixon. "LSU has had an offer out to the four-star since early in the fall, and with the Tigers evidently not going all out for (five-star) Zachary Evans at this stage, the addition of Bradford would make plenty of sense. (Georgia Tech four-star commit) Jahmyr Gibbs has talked up a visit to LSU, but it appears the Tigers are in a better spot to land Bradford -- giving them at least one of the top three unsigned running backs in America.”

"Texas entered the fray shortly before the Early Signing Period, and they’ve been playing from behind," said Horns247.com insider Mike Roach. "There has been some optimism in Austin if they can get him on campus for a visit, but it sounds like LSU will be tough to topple."

The 247Sports Crystal Ball is split as of Thursday evening. The most recent pick came earlier this month for LSU. There is one pick for Wisconsin from earlier in the recruiting cycle. My pick currently sits on a foggy forecast, which was originally an Ohio State prediction in the fall. Right now, I like LSU's chances to get Bradford in the end and I'm close to making a Tigers prediction on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Bradford as a four-star recruit ranked No. 138 overall in the country's 2020 class, No. 15 nationally among 2020 running back prospects, and No. 21 overall in the state of Texas for his class. Bradford, who owns almost 30 offers nationally, is coming off a strong senior campaign that saw him run for 1,563 yards and 23 touchdowns on 9.2 yards per carry. He also caught 12 passes for 242 yards and three TD's on 20.2 yards per reception.