Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Horns 247 / Gabe Brooks / Kelvontay Dixon previews Texas official visit

Spoiler

Kelvontay Dixon previews Texas official visit
GABE BROOKS

Carthage (Texas) High School 2020 four-star athlete Kelvontay Dixon will officially visit Texas starting Friday. The Longhorns have recruited Dixon for a couple of years, dating to when they offered his older brother, starting running back Keaontay Ingram. Dixon is excited to spend time on the Forty Acres this weekend.

"I’m looking forward to seeing if that’s the right place for me to be," Dixon told 247Sports on Thursday evening.

Given his relationship to Ingram, Dixon has obviously made multiple unofficial visits to Texas in the past. He said that the atmosphere is the aspect of Texas that has stood out the most to him during those visits. With that in mind, Dixon detailed what the key factors are in his recruitment down the stretch.

"If it's the right place for me," Dixon reiterated, "and a good place to get my education."

Dixon said that he plans to pursue a degree in education. He wants to become a coach after he is done with his playing days. Dixon's mother is an assistant coach at Carthage Junior High. Receivers coach Andre Coleman recruits Dixon for the Longhorns.

Dixon confirmed earlier Thursday with 247Sports that he plans to take an official visit Jan. 31 weekend to Houston. Texas controls the 247Sports Crystal Ball with 100 percent of the nine forecasts made to date. You can tell by Dixon's comments that his decision lies significantly with his gut feeling on the situation.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Dixon as a four-star recruit ranked No. 14 nationally among 2020 athlete prospects and No. 51 overall in the state of Texas for his class. The 247Sports rankings put Dixon higher in both categories: No. 10 nationally among 2020 athletes and No. 35 overall in the Lone Star State.

Dixon is fresh off a senior season that saw him play a key role in Carthage's 16-0 campaign and Texas Class 4A Division I state championship, the Bulldogs' seventh state title since 2008. Dixon, who can move around the formation and contribute in the return game, caught 73 passes for 1,223 yards and 20 touchdowns, while rushing for 234 yards and two TD's on 7.3 yards per carry.

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

For the lulz ... (on Rakestraw)

What's your gut feeling Mike on where he ends up

MikeRoach
I like Texas getting the last visit but I’ll reserve judgment til then.

Mike... that's not how this works. Even fucking EJ would have at least added some kind of commentary to get people talking.

6 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Nah, It crosses my mind everytime I see your posts. It was one of the most disturbing corniest lines of dialogue I’ve ever laid eyes on.

Glad to give you chance to flex your manly manfulness as you hunker down in the man cave wearing your NFL jersey. 

Maybe look up dialogue unless you're afraid it will make you seem effeminate. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

In looking at the class calculator, if we add Collins, Princely, and Dixon, we’ll likely jump up to 7th, depending on who Auburn and UF add. I’d guess we’ll add a CB (Rakestraw or the Pflugerville kid) and then possibly savion or Bradford.  I’m guessing Rakestraw will get a ratings bump considering his recent offers, but I’m also skeptical we’ll land him with Bama looming. Depending on who we add, we’ll finish either 4th or 5th in the country on an average rating per commit basis. 

I like the class a lot, especially considering all the turmoil surrounding it, and I don’t see a ton of attrition candidates. I think Princley has a fairly high bust/attrition chance and I don’t love taking Dixon and Savion, if we do take both, as I think we could get better WR prospects next year, but we do need some numbers at the position. Still fucking sucks we lost QJ due to being slow to promote a WR coach already on staff. 

Grad transfers seem like a possibility at OL, LB, and WR, but that stuff will probably stay quiet for a while. I expect we’ll at least get an OL, since Hand has been following all the guys who pop up, and with Kerstetter’s versatility, we could take an OL at any of T, G, or C. I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything about another LB prospect, whether out of HS, JUCO, or GT, but I’m guessing we’re just gonna roll with what we have at LB (and hopefully spin down Foster and Overshown), unless Hutzler has a prior connection to a JUCO or GT.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Mac8111 said:
20 hours ago, irishtexan said:
4i Princely reppin' Thrasher. Y'all think he can ollie? Maybe even kickflip?

My 13 yr old daughter has that same shirt ....

Cut to @Harvdogfuriously searching the internet to buy the same shirt for his son.  (Better get a matching tee for Tunmise, too!)

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I like the class a lot, especially considering all the turmoil surrounding it, and I don’t see a ton of attrition candidates. I think Princley has a fairly high bust/attrition chance and I don’t love taking Dixon and Savion, if we do take both, as I think we could get better WR prospects next year, but we do need some numbers at the position.

100%. I think we would be lucky to land Savion and Dixon isn't a lock. I'd be happy with either, but would prefer Savion and a grad transfer mercenary. I also think there's still a decent chance Josh Moore comes back quietly. 

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

100%. I think we would be lucky to land Savion and Dixon isn't a lock. I'd be happy with either, but would prefer Savion and a grad transfer mercenary. I also think there's still a decent chance Josh Moore comes back quietly. 

Yeah, Moore coming back would be big for our WR room, and I think it’ll happen. Pretty much anytime a coach takes a wait and see approach for this long with a player, it means he’s keeping him batting something really bad coming out of it (a felony charge/conviction in this case). Still, Getting those gun charges was monumentally stupid on his part. Moore has the versatility to play all three spots, and he showed some very promising flashes in his first year. 

• Like 2

In looking at the class calculator, if we add Collins, Princely, and Dixon, we’ll likely jump up to 7th, depending on who Auburn and UF add. I’d guess we’ll add a CB (Rakestraw or the Pflugerville kid) and then possibly savion or Bradford.  I’m guessing Rakestraw will get a ratings bump considering his recent offers, but I’m also skeptical we’ll land him with Bama looming. Depending on who we add, we’ll finish either 4th or 5th in the country on an average rating per commit basis. 

I like the class a lot, especially considering all the turmoil surrounding it, and I don’t see a ton of attrition candidates. I think Princley has a fairly high bust/attrition chance and I don’t love taking Dixon and Savion, if we do take both, as I think we could get better WR prospects next year, but we do need some numbers at the position. Still fucking sucks we lost QJ due to being slow to promote a WR coach already on staff. 

Grad transfers seem like a possibility at OL, LB, and WR, but that stuff will probably stay quiet for a while. I expect we’ll at least get an OL, since Hand has been following all the guys who pop up, and with Kerstetter’s versatility, we could take an OL at any of T, G, or C. I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything about another LB prospect, whether out of HS, JUCO, or GT, but I’m guessing we’re just gonna roll with what we have at LB (and hopefully spin down Foster and Overshown), unless Hutzler has a prior connection to a JUCO or GT.

I also really like this class, especially since we’ve had a lot of coaching changes. Fans should be pretty happy.

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I also really like this class, especially since we’ve had a lot of coaching changes. Fans should be pretty happy.

Ehhhhh. I mean if you take where our expectation level of the program was at the end of this regular season, then you could say fans should be happy with the progress made since then. But we still missed on quite a few targets we should have had if not for the inexcusable mistakes of this season and retaining bad coaches for 2 years too long.

As for the current state of the program as a whole, without grading on a steep curve of Herman’s prior fuck ups to put us in this situation, I don’t see any reason fans should be happy we had a 7-5 regular season in year 3 of his tenure while he had to fire 70% of his staff and pretty much all the momentum in what was likely going to be a program-defining 2021 class being stalled or gone at this point.  Herman can still salvage it with a good 2020 season, but Fans are justified in being upset with where we’re at heading into year 4 of Herman’s tenure. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Topical Humidor

Spoiler

By: Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

JORDAN WHITTINGTON

The debate on whether or not to take another running back reminded me that we haven't updated Whittington's status in a while.

I'm of the opinion he should move to wide receiver as it's less stressful on the body. As we know he's had three hernia surgeries -- one in high school and two since he arrived at Texas.

We reported when he returned from the second surgery that he was nowhere near himself. He was in quite a bit of pain. The good news is his pain has decreased significantly with the third surgery and there's optimism he can return. The bad news is, he's tired of going through this. If this surgery doesn't work it could spell bad news.

I would happily take Tre Bradford (he's going to be difficult to land; more below) in this class but I wouldn't take just a warm body due to depth chart fears.

Next year's depth isn't great but you could still move Whittington back to running back if need be.

I would put Whittington in the slot and Jake Smith outside. We'll see if they take a good look at that. For now, hope that his rehab continues to go well. Word is it feels different than the previous surgery.

NOT MUCH ELSE ON THE TEAM

Classes and workouts began this week so everyone is getting back into the swing of things. A source did reach out to me to shoot the breeze and he made some good points about the portal. Essentially, but not verbatim, he said: "If two months ago I would have told you Javonne Shepherd was the only player to leave would you have believed it? I sure wouldn't have. The coaches did a good job getting everyone to return. OU with all their success are losing players and Texas only lost Shepherd. They stay on the players when they return home and let them know they have big plans for them. I think it also helps they're in Austin. Even guys who may disgruntled with the team love the school and love being in Austin."

Staff overhaul helped a lot too.

NEW 2021 QB OFFER

Thursday night the staff extended an offer to Lubbock Coronado's Sawyer Robertson. This is an interesting development for a few reasons.

#Milroe: When Jalen Milroe was being recruited by other schools he never cared about being in a two quarterback class and that's still the case. He's going to compete. As we know, he has a high mental evaluation.

Yurcich: The new offensive coordinator can't wait to work with the guys coming in, including Milroe, but he wanted to add another arm. Making this a two quarterback class is mostly a new development. We believe Herman was happy to just take Milroe. That means this is a sign that Herman is giving Yurcich decision making duties. That's a good thing overall.

On Robertson: My best CFB source when it comes to quarterbacks said Robertson is on the fence of being in the top tier quarterbacks in-state. There are some concerns about demeanor for him and he compared Robertson to a previous recruit that didn't make it. "But the upside is big like with Behren Morton due to multiple sports."

Yurcich didn't seem to have a set "type" at Oklahoma State, and we saw what he did with Justin Fields. I'm sure in Robertson he sees some clay to mold in the form of Mason Rudolph. Robertson certainly has an arm for the vertical game and while he's a pocket passer he's not a statue.

STATE OF RECRUITING

Coming on the heels of a solid Elite Day turnout and a week of non-stop appearances on the road, the coaches still have work to do this weekend.

Team Brockermeyer (FW All Saints), Jalen Milroe (Katy Tompkins), Kevontre Bradford (Lancaster), Savion Byrd (Duncanville), Emeka Megwa (FW Nolan Catholic), Savion Williams (Marshall), Clayton Smith (Texarkana Texas High), Armani Winfield (Lewisville), and many others caught glimpses of the Texas staff this week.

Now, the weekend begins. UT has two official visitors (Kelvontay Dixon, Jaylan Ford) as of today, and a select number of underclassmen expected to arrive on Saturday.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (2020): This recruitment might wrap up by Sunday afternoon or Texas might need to look for a contingency. Dixon has been all-Texas even when he was committed to Arkansas. He was originally set to OV on 1/31 but that was moved up late last week. The Horns staff wants him on campus this weekend. He’s flirting with a Houston OV before NSD, but I’d be careful. I still think Texas today, but this has become a little too much.

LB Jaylan Ford, Frisco Lone Star (2020 TEXAS signee): The secretive linebacker signed with UT over Utah, triggering the greatest headline in IT history. Ford is a super quiet, off the radar type. As far as we know this will be his first visit to the school in the capacity of a recruit.

CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball (2021): The four-star missed last weekend (he was in Norman) so he’s making sure to stop by this Saturday. New CB coach Jay Valai has made the talented corner from Dallas a priority. He’s pretty close to must-get from his position/numbers standpoint. This one has the potential to be a drawn out dogfight. OU made a big impression on Ibraheem so Texas will need to counter.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (2022): The new state champion and eventual five-star made a point to reach out to Texas and Coach Valai this week. Every kid wants to put on the Texas uniform and take pictures, but the staff only does that for specific prospects. Harris is that type of prospect.

CB Bobby Taylor Jr, Katy (2022): Being the son of a legend can be a lot of pressure. But no worries here, Bobby Taylor Jr. is legit. His father starred at Longview, Notre Dame, and the NFL with Philadelphia and Seattle. Bobby Jr is a prize and plays with natural fluidity. He was almost locked up early to Texas A&M until they lost Mo Linguist to the Dallas Cowboys. Now, he wants to refresh recruiting. He might be a take but the 2022 defensive back crop is loaded loaded.

CB Eric Hemphill, Brenham (2022): Another of the talented in-state corners for 2022, Hemphill adds some nasty to his already athletic resume. Height is the limiting factor here, but I'd love to see the staff target good corners first, length second. Look at the best corners in the NFL. They're often in the 5-10, 5-11 range. Hemphill is a shade under 5-10 but has some solid width to him and his arms are as long as Jahari Rogers'. You don't knock the football down with your head. Hemphill is a good 'man' option.

Next weekend (Jan 31st-Feb 1st) could yield a few late fliers for official visitors like Ennis Rakestraw and Savion Williams. Both are scheduled, Williams’ tentatively. Texas really needs to hit on this pair.

Corner is a hole with Kitan Crawford the only CB in the class for 2020. Isaiah Dunson (Tucker, GA) was leaning Texas heading into this weekend’s OV in Austin, but was told Rakestraw was the preference inside the program. That seems weird because evidently Texas is having to fight for Rakestraw. UT has to fend off little Nicky (Bama) and Mizzou, but when push comes to shove, I’m betting on Ja’Quinden Jackson helping tilt this one in UT's favor.

For 2021, Deuce Harmon (Denton Guyer) is a name to know, even though we’ve written about him since last Spring. Hearing Coach Valai is a fan. Weatherford’s Cicero Caston is a really intriguing prospect as well. Harmon is a middle class Quandre Diggs who could play corner, nickel, or safety. Take all day. Caston is a pure safety who can run and hit but doesn't exhibit the best ball skills. We might need a bigger sample size on that.

Texas needs to replace Quentin Johnston in this cycle. TCU already stole him and Savion Williams compares favorably on and off the field. UT getting in this pursuit so late has TCU smelling blood. Horned Frogs WR coach Malcolm Kelly is a known-quantity in East Texas. He’s pushing all the right buttons while freestyling to Savion’s Hudl. Williams should visit on 1/31. It’ll take some work for UT to snag the 6-foot-4 athletic freak from Marshall.

As for Lancaster’s Tre Bradford, it looks like LSU will hold this Tiger. The four-star running back has an offer to take an official visit to Austin, but after Tommie Robinson (LSU RB coach) and Kevin Faulk (LSU assistant) stopped by Lancaster, it looks like this cat is nearly locked up. He'll visit Death Valley this weekend and that might do it. Texas will continue to try and get him to campus but time is running out.

There might be a few others who show up this weekend. If so, we’ll update accordingly.

• Like 2

Ehhhhh. I mean if you take where our expectation level of the program was at the end of this regular season, then you could say fans should be happy with the progress made since then. But we still missed on quite a few targets we should have had if not for the inexcusable mistakes of this season and retaining bad coaches for 2 years too long.
As for the current state of the program as a whole, without grading on a steep curve of Herman’s prior fuck ups to put us in this situation, I don’t see any reason fans should be happy we had a 7-5 regular season in year 3 of his tenure while he had to fire 70% of his staff and pretty much all the momentum in what was likely going to be a program-defining 2021 class being stalled or gone at this point.  Herman can still salvage it with a good 2020 season, but Fans are justified in being upset with where we’re at heading into year 4 of Herman’s tenure. 

I wasn’t talking about the season or Herman, obviously. I’m talking about retention of the class after the coaching fires. There could have been many more defections.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

and pretty much all the momentum in what was likely going to be a program-defining 2021 class being stalled or gone at this point.

that's some maudlin drama right there. 

the 2021 class is already 7 deep and outside of McRee it's a fucking beastly class. Milroe. Sanders. Bowman. Harris. Conner. Davis. Those guys are all elite takes in any year and this is all before our first JR day. Let's tap the brakes on this class and it's momentum being stalled or gone until we see how the first JR day goes maybe. I feel like the momentum discussions all seems to be stemming from the Brockermeyer recruitment and that's 100% not on Texas, or Tom Herman or even the 2019 season. It's on the Brockermeyer clan and their expectations vs reality. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

that's some maudlin drama right there. 

the 2021 class is already 7 deep and outside of McRee it's a fucking beastly class. Milroe. Sanders. Bowman. Harris. Conner. Davis. Those guys are all elite takes in any year and this is all before our first JR day. Let's tap the brakes on this class and it's momentum being stalled or gone until we see how the first JR day goes maybe. I feel like the momentum discussions all seems to be stemming from the Brockermeyer recruitment and that's 100% not on Texas, or Tom Herman or even the 2019 season. It's on the Brockermeyer clan and their expectations vs reality. 

I like Davis but is he really on a level w those other guys?

Just now, texifornia said:

I like Davis but is he really on a level w those other guys?

No. He's not honestly but I do think he's a take in any year. He's the kind of guy that Gary Patterson built a fucking career on. A player that TCU or Ok State takes and turns into a serious contributor in his 4th and 5th year on campus. He's a player Texas hasn't taken before the Herman era and while he might not be on the same level as the other guys I think he's just as important to developing a complete class and is likely an early contributor on ST. He led his team in rushing, passing, receiving, blocked a couple of punts with little to no scheme or coaching. He's a legit 6'3" + with a big frame  and has a 43' triple jump, again with almost no real coaching. If he's the biggest question mark in a class you are fucking killing it. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

No. He's not honestly but I do think he's a take in any year. He's the kind of guy that Gary Patterson built a fucking career on. A player that TCU or Ok State takes and turns into a serious contributor in his 4th and 5th year on campus. He's a player Texas hasn't taken before the Herman era and while he might not be on the same level as the other guys I think he's just as important to developing a complete class and is likely an early contributor on ST. He led his team in rushing, passing, receiving, blocked a couple of punts with little to no scheme or coaching. He's a legit 6'3" + with a big frame  and has a 43' triple jump, again with almost no real coaching. If he's the biggest question mark in a class you are fucking killing it. 

Mmmmm

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m assuming they didn’t send George a letter to sign last month. I wonder how that makes a kid feel. 

This was in TFB's open post today.

Reconnected with my Bama source and am told that George actually signed already (I guess it’s still not known to the public) but added that Bama has a scholarship or two they can count back. So, they’ll likely take 26 or 27 this year.

Was told there is still a question as to whether Bama will have a spot for a DB.

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Reconnected with my Bama source and am told that George actually signed already (I guess it’s still not known to the public) but added that Bama has a scholarship or two they can count back. So, they’ll likely take 26 or 27 this year.

Was told there is still a question as to whether Bama will have a spot for a DB.

That may be one of the most surprising turns for the George/Evans saga so far.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If true, keeping his signature silent doesn’t make sense to me 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

If true, keeping his signature silent doesn’t make sense to me 

Agreed, unless of course it’s all part of a grand conspiracy to hide Evans true final destination, Bama.
But I’ll be more than happy if signing George means they don’t have a spot for Rakestraw so he ends up with us.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Agreed, unless of course it’s all part of a grand conspiracy to hide Evans true final destination, Bama.
But I’ll be more than happy if signing George means they don’t have a spot for Rakestraw so he ends up with us.

Bama plays a lot of scholarship games that the public never knows about, including their pay sites. But usually it’s because a kid is walking on or getting his scholarship delayed. The George thing is the opposite, and I kind of doubt that it’s true 

So if it hasn't been announced, maybe Alabama didn't turn in the signed LOI.

Is that a way to trap door someone?

"Ooops. There was a snafu and somehow your LOI didn't get turned in to the NCAA. We also lost track of the total numbers, so there is no room for you here at Alabama. Have a nice life!"