Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

58 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Brandon Frazier is legit. I’m from McKinney and seen him play the last three years. He has great hands and is a mean blocker. Always wondered why no one in Texas showed interest he’s easily the best TE in the state.

Senior season highlights are a fun watch:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6486694/5dcaf3ca176cf612e893d852

Thanks Brandon. Isn't this a school night for you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Gotta love the recruiting board.  Post a video of a 6’7” 245 pound kid making acrobatic catches downfield and generally wrecking good DFW competition, and the reaction is “Hurr durr, like he can play ... it must be the kid or his father posting.”

If Frazier doesn’t have off the field issues complicating his recruitment, we should make a run at him.   Our TE room is still weak -  basically it’s Wiley (who is still a raw work in progress) and JAGs.  Hopefully Liebrock surprises me, but it seems like a bad sign that he took no meaningful snaps even though we insist on always using a TE, Brewer got hurt, and he had a 4 game grace period to still redshirt.

So a 4 star receiving TE who’s not ready to play his very first year is automatically a JAG, huh? 

Gotta love the recruiting board. 

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Given the other options we had at the position and the fact that another lower ranked true freshmen who played QB in high school got on the field ahead of him, no, it wasn’t a great start.  

The stupidity of your take while simultaneously criticizing the recruiting board for dumb takes that weren’t even serious in the same post is pretty rich. 

Wiley was an EE who’s naturally bigger so he was able to get up to 250+ before the season started. Liebrock didn’t get here until summer and weighed 220 lbs at the time because he played other sports his last semester of HS. Liebrock was never expected to contribute early because he needed to add weight and improve as a blocker. If he had been an EE like Wiley, he probably would’ve seen the field this year. 

Him not playing last year doesn’t make him a JAG. We’ll see what happens this offseason. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 6

I view Collins and Princely as must gets. I'm hoping the transition from Orlando's goofy ass  3 man front scheme will lead to Princely jumping back on board. I can't blame the kid for decomitting after the defense was an absolute shit show in 2019, Princely is a better fit at DE in a 4man front. Herman can't afford to let those two slip by right in his backyard, especially with Collins being a legacy player.

Edited by Chad

One thing I’ve noticed on recruiting over the years is that if you have an opportunity to watch a player live for several games, you can often see the nfl potential of the player.

For example, I was highly confident Rex Burkhead was going to make it in the nfl, even though he was a three star recruit and undersized. You could just see that special something when he played. I’m surprised that colleges haven’t figured out a way to get more live coverage of recruits they are considering. Film and live are very very different. Film can look great but live provides a more deep and rich view of the player.

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Given the other options we had at the position and the fact that another lower ranked true freshmen who played QB in high school got on the field ahead of him, no, it wasn’t a great start.  

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

The stupidity of your take while simultaneously criticizing the recruiting board for dumb takes that weren’t even serious in the same post is pretty rich. 

Wiley was an EE who’s naturally bigger so he was able to get up to 250+ before the season started. Liebrock didn’t get here until summer and weighed 220 lbs at the time because he played other sports his last semester of HS. Liebrock was never expected to contribute early because he needed to add weight and improve as a blocker. If he had been an EE like Wiley, he probably would’ve seen the field this year. 

Him not playing last year doesn’t make him a JAG. We’ll see what happens this offseason. 

giphy.gif

Edited by SydneyCarton

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m surprised that colleges haven’t figured out a way to get more live coverage of recruits they are considering. Film and live are very very different. Film can look great but live provides a more deep and rich view of the player.

jim halpert no GIF

(assuming this is a weird and obviously bad attempt at a troll by a guy with 3700+ posts)

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chad said:

I view Collins and Princely as must gets. I'm hoping the transition from Orlando's goofy ass  3 man front scheme will lead to Princely jumping back on board. I can't blame the kid for decomitting after the defense was an absolute shit show in 2019, Princely is a better fit at DE in a 4man front. Herman can't afford to let those two slip by right in his backyard, especially with Collins being a legacy player.

Princely isn’t anything close to a “must get”

• Like 2

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Gotta love the recruiting board.  Post a video of a 6’7” 245 pound kid making acrobatic catches downfield and generally wrecking good DFW competition, and the reaction is “Hurr durr, like he can play ... it must be the kid or his father posting.”

Did you not see it was a poster called Brandon talking about a player named Brandon?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

One thing I’ve noticed on recruiting over the years is that if you have an opportunity to watch a player live for several games, you can often see the nfl potential of the player.

For example, I was highly confident Rex Burkhead was going to make it in the nfl, even though he was a three star recruit and undersized. You could just see that special something when he played. I’m surprised that colleges haven’t figured out a way to get more live coverage of recruits they are considering. Film and live are very very different. Film can look great but live provides a more deep and rich view of the player.

Maybe coaches should watch recruits’ games live. That would be ground breaking. Oh, and they could land near the field in a helicopter. That would be swagalicious.

Ok dumbasses, I’m talking about getting extensive coverage of prospects games via third parties. These coaches can only make a game here and there and don’t get extensive coverage.

Edit: another comment - there are few guys offering those services and it’s not clear why it hasn’t spread faster given all the resources colleges have

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ok dumbasses, I’m talking about getting extensive coverage of prospects games via third parties. These coaches can only make a game here and there and don’t get extensive coverage.

Edit: another comment - there are few guys offering those services and it’s not clear why it hasn’t spread faster given all the resources colleges have

Well, you obviously have skins on the wall as a professional scout, so make it happen.

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I dont think film is really the problem that coaches have, man. I think that's why you're getting the mocking and ribbing that you're receiving. Film isn't the problem, coaches get good coverage.  What CTJ was alluding to wasn't Film. The information he was stressing as a game changer that many staffs don't have would be the deep analytics of kids. More than grades and scores, social media behavior, character assessments, the kind of shit that no one else is doing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Why is live better than film exactly? Greater definition of striated glutes? Whiffs of nfl caliber musk?

If we're talking live vs hudl (assuming you don't have coach's film), you see every play, not just the highlights. You also get a better feel for their true size and athleticism. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I dont think film is really the problem that coaches have, man. I think that's why you're getting the mocking and ribbing that you're receiving. Film isn't the problem, coaches get good coverage.  What CTJ was alluding to wasn't Film. The information he was stressing as a game changer that many staffs don't have would be the deep analytics of kids. More than grades and scores, social media behavior, character assessments, the kind of shit that no one else is doing. 

Light PI work, really. Do they have a police record? How many kids do they have? Are they in a gang? Is one of their siblings or parents in a gang? What flavor of game are they chewing? Etc. 

Also, to Dbeasy's point, what does their ass (he also alluded to cock and balls, but that's a bit over the top IMO) look like in football pants up close and personal? Do they have a bit of a shine around them on the field? Do they smile with their eyes? How many high fives are they given by teammates after a series? What does their mother eat at halftime (nacho eaters are known to be real drama queens. Malik Hornsby's mother eats 1 large nacho order, heavy on the jalapenos, per quarter, which The Hermanitard immediately and correctly assessed as a major fucking red flag)? Those kinds of things. I get it.

Look, if Dbeasy wants to pay us to attend high school football games and report back to the board, I'll make up weekly stories with enough details so as to get paaaaaiiiiiid. Not sure what everyone's hang up is about it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I thought much the same about Adam Taylor back when he was at Katy. He obliterated Cedar Hill in the state championship, then went to Nebraska and was a massive bust.

Shows what I know.

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I thought much the same about Adam Taylor back when he was at Katy. He obliterated Cedar Hill in the state championship, then went to Nebraska and was a massive bust.

Shows what I know.

Listen, this is an OUTSTANDING attitude to have. I'd love and highly encourage you to adopt it when you think about the general state of recruiting at the University of Texas, as well as the state of Texas in general. You know, just keep it in the back of your head. 

High-Five Buddy!

giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=15867681

Edited by SydneyCarton

Jeff Howe: Kitan Crawford's Top247 finish completes rankings ascent

Unlike most of the cornerbacks Texas has taken over two previous recruiting cycles, Kitan Crawford wasn’t always thought of as a blue-chip prospect. When the John Tyler product was first issued a ranking by 247Sports, he didn’t come close to sniffing the Top247 on Jan. 31, 2019 with a No. 626 overall ranking. Nearly a year later, with the recruiting cycle winding down, Crawford will head to the Forty Acres in the summer as one of the nation’s top cornerback prospects. Crawford checked in at No. 144 overall in the final Top247 update released Tuesday, making him the state’s No. 3 cornerback prospect behind Arlington’s Jahari Rogers (Florida) and Mansfield Timberview’s Jalen Kimber (Georgia).

What allowed Crawford to make such a leap was that he checked a lot of boxes as the deep dive into evaluating him as a prospect commenced last spring. By the time he committed to Texas on June 21, Crawford had already clocked a verified 100-meter dash time of 10.6 while helping John Tyler to a second-place finish in the sprint relay at the Class 5A state track meet with a time of 40.61. The 5-foot-11-inch, 200-pound Crawford was a two-way standout for John Tyler in 2019. Crawford rushed for 1,065 yards (8.9 yards per attempt) and 12 touchdowns while catching 21 passes for 287 yards and a touchdown on offense. Defensively, Crawford logged 33 tackles, three interceptions and a fumble recovery to go along with a blocked punt.

Again, that’s a lot of boxes Crawford checks.

— Pure, verified speed? Absolutely.

— Comfortable playing the ball and having it in his hands? Yep.

— Physical and willing to throw his body around like the Texas program demands? You don’t run for 1,000 yards and produce like Crawford did when facing the best East Texas has to offer while lacking toughness.

Tie it all together and the Longhorns should be credited for getting in early on a well-rounded athlete who has emerged from the recruiting cycle with all of the tools needed to be a difference-maker at cornerback. “Probably the best adjective I can use for him is ‘versatile,’” head coach Tom Herman said when talking about Crawford on signing day in December. “A tremendous three-way player on offense, defense and in the return game.” Crawford is likely to cut his teeth on special teams, but he could be needed early in his career at cornerback.

While it’s premature to think about draft-eligible juniors potentially leaving the program following the 2020 season, Anthony Cook, Jalen Green and D'Shawn Jamison have the potential to put themselves in a position where they’d have to make a decision of whether to return in 2021 or try their hand at the NFL. With that in mind, it’s a good thing new cornerbacks coach Jay Valai and defensive coordinator Chris Ash are welcoming an impressive athlete into the fold who showed what he can be capable of at the Under Armour All-America Game practices in Orlando.

“The first thing is his speed. He's got it. He didn't get beat vertically,” 247Sports national analyst Charles Power told Horns247 about Crawford's week in Florida. "I know he played mostly offense this year and so it's a transition to DB against these really talented players and he hung in there. Of the Texas commits in the game, I thought he had the best week of ‘stock up.’ He just has that speed and he's a nice athlete who can play the ball."

Indeed, Crawford’s stock rose in the final rankings following his senior season and the evaluations taken from the week of the Under Armour game. With Crawford signed and officially in the fold long before the cycle comes to a close on National Signing Day (Feb. 5), the Longhorns are set to welcome another talented cornerback with a world of potential into the program.

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Yeah I set myself up with that post, but he’s down to Auburn, Arky, and TT and is deciding a couple of days before NSD. 

That list would suggest there's something the bluechips have seen and don't like, especially coming out of a place as highly scouted as McKinney. 

48 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That list would suggest there's something the bluechips have seen and don't like, especially coming out of a place as highly scouted as McKinney. 

yeah what the fuck.  according to his film he’s got a huge frame, he’s fast, athletic, has good hands, blocks...  he’s exactly what herman wants for his offense.  why haven’t we recruited this kid?

18 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah what the fuck.  according to his film he’s got a huge frame, he’s fast, athletic, has good hands, blocks...  he’s exactly what herman wants for his offense.  why haven’t we recruited this kid?

TEs are always hard to figure out and a lot of the best ones end up being under-recruited 3 stars. This kid has size and the numbers to back it up. Maybe he’s already pretty slow and likely to add at least 20 lbs in college? Idk he seems like a take to me, especially since he appears to have the frame for OT if his body takes him there, similar to Wiley. 

Edit: According to ESPN, he has a 26” vert, 4.57 shuttle. Those numbers are both pretty bad and suggest limited athleticism, but idk when those were taken. Those could be like two years old and he’s improved a lot since then. In this Rivals article, he’s listed at 236 currently and says he lost weight to improve his speed his senior year. 

Even if his testing numbers aren’t great, he seems like he could still be a good in-line TE/possession receiver type. Seems worth a flyer considering we don’t have a true TE in the class and we need Hullaby at LB more. It’s not like he’s a Chase what’s his name prospect, where his best committable offer is UL-Lafayette. His final three are Auburn, Tech, and Arky. Not a great list but he at least seems P5 quality.

Also, OU has been pretty damn good at recruiting TEs. I’d hope Boulware took a picture of their TE big board and is calling up whichever recruit was the next guy on their list. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I mean, Burkhead wasn't exactly some unknown commodity. Dude's nickname was Superman and he was arguably the most talked about recruit in the DFW at the time. He had major offers and I know Rivals had him as a 4-star (this was before they completely sucked ass). Maybe one service severely underranked him ruining his composite (did the composite exist back then?), but Burkhead got plenty of hype, he just didn't get recruited by us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

@NoName There's your answer. 

it would have been a shitty troll attempt - but it is an even worse actual take. 

he is focusing on trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist in 2020. 

he thinks that Texas/tOSU/Bama/LSU/basically any large school is reviewing players with shitty tape from third parties and making offers based on tape from a dude's instagram story filmed from the stands. that isn't happening. 

On 1/24/2020 at 10:28 AM, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, Moore coming back would be big for our WR room, and I think it’ll happen. Pretty much anytime a coach takes a wait and see approach for this long with a player, it means he’s keeping him batting something really bad coming out of it (a felony charge/conviction in this case). Still, Getting those gun charges was monumentally stupid on his part. Moore has the versatility to play all three spots, and he showed some very promising flashes in his first year. 

Is Moore participating in offseason winter workouts?

38 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I mean, Burkhead wasn't exactly some unknown commodity. Dude's nickname was Superman and he was arguably the most talked about recruit in the DFW at the time. He had major offers and I know Rivals had him as a 4-star (this was before they completely sucked ass). Maybe one service severely underranked him ruining his composite (did the composite exist back then?), but Burkhead got plenty of hype, he just didn't get recruited by us.

this fucking guy is acting like he discovered Leighton Vander Esch - a dude who was completely unranked as a recruit in 2014, classified as a QB at 247, played 8 man football in HS and is from a town that had like 400 people his senior year...who then walked on at Boise and ended up being a 1st round draft pick.

...when in reality Rex Burkhead was the DMN All Area Offensive Player of the Year his Sr year, a top 50 Texas player, #6 APB in the country and #336 overall player in the country who went Plano High (5A school) and was the first freshman to actually play for Plano's varsity team in 40 years. oh yeah, and he played for Plano High as a true freshman in basketball too.

he had offers from A&M, Stanford, Texas Tech, Michigan, Cal and Auburn ...then went to Nebraska, where he played pretty significant snaps for all 4 years of college outside of injury in his senior year and was first team all Big 10 as a Jr. 

edit: in a full circle move, Rivals shows his secondary recruiter was Tim Beck. go figure. 

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

this fucking guy is acting like he discovered Leighton Vander Esch - 

...when in reality Rex Burkhead was the DMN All Area Offensive Player of the Year his Sr year, a top 50 Texas player, #6 APB in the country and #336 overall player in the country who went Plano High (5A school) and was the first freshman to actually play for Plano's varsity team in 40 years. oh yeah, and he played for Plano High as a true freshman in basketball too.

he had offers from A&M, Stanford, Texas Tech, Michigan, Cal and Auburn ...then went to Nebraska, where he played pretty significant snaps for all 4 years of college outside of injury in his senior year and was first team all Big 10 as a Jr. 

edit: in a full circle move, Rivals shows his secondary recruiter was Tim Beck. go figure. 

Well yeah, but all that data isn’t nearly as effective as dbeasy’s “you can just see something special when you stare intently at his ass from the stands” factor that he’s going to re-create for every college program in the country by finding a way to give them a live view of the game that they’re not attending. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Light PI work, really. Do they have a police record? How many kids do they have? Are they in a gang? Is one of their siblings or parents in a gang? What flavor of game are they chewing? Etc. 
Also, to Dbeasy's point, what does their ass (he also alluded to cock and balls, but that's a bit over the top IMO) look like in football pants up close and personal? Do they have a bit of a shine around them on the field? Do they smile with their eyes? How many high fives are they given by teammates after a series? What does their mother eat at halftime (nacho eaters are known to be real drama queens. Malik Hornsby's mother eats 1 large nacho order, heavy on the jalapenos, per quarter, which The Hermanitard immediately and correctly assessed as a major fucking red flag)? Those kinds of things. I get it.
Look, if Dbeasy wants to pay us to attend high school football games and report back to the board, I'll make up weekly stories with enough details so as to get paaaaaiiiiiid. Not sure what everyone's hang up is about it.

As ctj alludes to, the guys doing this work aren’t just watching the games. They are figuring out the rest too. These guys are football educated PI’s. I know two guys doing this. I could list out their names but they don’t want to be known so I’d have to kill everyone on this board.

it would have been a shitty troll attempt - but it is an even worse actual take. 
he is focusing on trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist in 2020. 
he thinks that Texas/tOSU/Bama/LSU/basically any large school is reviewing players with shitty tape from third parties and making offers based on tape from a dude's instagram story filmed from the stands. that isn't happening. 

That is not what I’ve said whatsoever and your lack of reading comprehension is sad. I pity your family.

this fucking guy is acting like he discovered Leighton Vander Esch - a dude who was completely unranked as a recruit in 2014, classified as a QB at 247, played 8 man football in HS and is from a town that had like 400 people his senior year...who then walked on at Boise and ended up being a 1st round draft pick.

You are such a lughead you don’t even understand that what I’m describing has already actually started happening at programs. I’m sure in a few years when it becomes more visible, you’ll strut around like a cock acting like you knew it the whole time. And as for Burkhead, I know more about his situation coming out of high school than you will ever know thru personal relationships, so eff off lughead.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That is not what I’ve said whatsoever and your lack of reading comprehension is sad. I pity your family.

Serious question. I re-read your original post and as best i can tell you’re saying colleges should try to get more live coverage because it’s better than film, but since we know college staffs are already attending as many games as they can in person, your suggestion is what exactly?

Provide them film of sideline angles of games to give them a more in-person feel, even though it will still be film? Sell them live VR feeds from the sideline of games they can’t attend?

• Like 2

I’ll make one final comment to answer the questions raised and then stop mentioning anything more on this aspect of recruiting given the focus of this thread is on 2020. Please don’t bother to respond. Or pm me directly if you want to know more.

There are firms out there that are attending games on behalf of universities. They are not only scouting them as players, but also finding out information from off-field activities. Universities are doing this because the coaching staffs can’t get to enough live games, and research recruits enough, to be confident that they are signing the best guys. They know film is limited. As a result, there is still too much of a roll of the dice for 3, 4 and even 5 star players, as we all know. I was only raising the point that I’m surprised these services haven’t taken off more quickly. That’s it. Geez Surly is such an asswhip sometimes. A bunch of assholes.