Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That was Sam Mcguffie out of Cy-Fair. Believed to be the first ever viral Youtube football highlight video. He was a big time recruit as well. Never really recruited by UT I don’t think though. 

Thanks.

The rest of Nahlin's Q&A

Who is the primary for Wheaton? Is Herman involved yet?

Stan Drayton.

Has there been any talk of Tyler Owens moving to LB? He looks like he could handle a weight gain and still move well more so than foster or Overshown to me. His feet don’t seem as quick as those two either either though he’s super fast straight ahead. Seems would be a good fit.

Running and hitting guys in the open field is a different type of physicality than playing big against interior linemen in the box. Malik was physical in the open field. In the box, not so much.

Is Josh Moore 100% gone? If he hasn’t transferred yet, then what’s the holdup?

Court proceedings.

Might the delay in announcing a DT coach be to keep Carrington on the road for just a little while longer?

That’s exactly what it is.

I never doubted anything you said, just noticed you being a bit testy over someone asking a simple question. No reason to be a smartass with me.

Damn, I was hoping you were going to fire back to prove my point. Well played.

How do you interpret the phrase "Don't Bitch, Transfer Hoe!" on a locker room whiteboard?

Oddly enough, similarly to interpreting this, “Don’t, Bitch, Transfer Ho!” (This is how Ian’s English professor parents would write it).

I applaud his attempt at punctuation. A semi-colon or even a period might have done better than the comma splice but I will defer to any English teachers on the board.

I was trying to keep it as close to its natural state as possible.

Do either or both of you think Coach Herman and the revamped offensive coaching staff will utilize two Running Backs in the backfield?

Sure hope so on two-back sets and I think we’ll see them. You’ll want to read the Gameplan tomorrow.

What is the real story on Mehringer? It was written that there would have been a revolt had he stayed. Was the fiction internal to the staff with the players, or both? It was also written how much the receivers learned under Coleman. Why the comment then that he should have been retained?

The comment about him being retained was just to underscore that talented players can excel despite poor or average coaching. A lot of sources take umbrage with the way Mehringer was handled on the way out. I don’t care about the drama. If I did I could write about last season until May or June. He should have been gone for lack of development if for no other reason.

Eric was using sarcasm to poke fun at the logic that Giles is suitable to be a DEs coach.

He is suitable. They could have upgraded though.

Edited by satyanash

Horns247 Staff Chat: Live Wednesday

Hey Mike, what is your confidence level for the following players landing at UT? Collins, Princely, Dixon, Rakestraw.

Collins - 75% | Princely - 49% | Dixon - 80% | Rakestraw - 55%

Hey Mike I know you have mentioned a few times that some of the high school coaches have brought up some issues with parts of Texas’s recruiting strategy. Is there anything specific you can mention that they are having issues with? Is it losing out on some guys by slow playing and not offering sooner or is it something more? Thanks

Some of that for sure. There's been a perception of arrogance from some schools I spoke with. But it's all relative. Some schools will tell you that nobody recruits them better than Texas.

Do you think Jackson could end up as a LB? I know he is listed as a QB, but he’s more of an athlete and I’ve read that he could have high ups...

For me, if he's not a quarterback, I'd have him at running back or H-back. He needs the ball in his hands.

Mike, while you said we made a big move with Landon Jackson, his comments, while positive, seemed lukewarm. I’ll defer to you expertise and interview acumen when you say it was a big move. Is it your position that we are at least even with A&M?

Yes, and that’s not an opinion. It’s also not based on what he said.

Are you hearing tom changing some of his ways from this past season and what are they if so

There's no doubt the biggest change for Herman right now is introducing six new assistant coaches (soon to be seven when a DL coach is hired), including two new coordinators, to the culture he's installed at Texas.

Hearing anything new on the dt coach (search)?

Nothing new at this point. From what we are hearing, there isn't currently a 'rush' to hire someone, and it could come down after National Signing Day. That's not necessarily a set-in-stone timetable or anything but just something we are hearing could be the case.

I’ve heard that the offense will still be Herman’s offense but the new coordinator will adapt his style to it.... do you think the route tree will change?? Will the offense be more receiver friendly or still just be slot friendly??

As I wrote in the Eyes last week (for new members, the Eyes of Texas is our insider notes package that comes out Thursday), new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich, who has been warmly received by players, has indicated he'll be deleting some things from the offense but will also be adding some things namely new route combinations. So ... yes ... to your question.

With only 17 commits so far, how big will this class be?

Any scholarships Texas takes on after three they have to lose one scholarship off the current roster by the time the enrollees arrive over the summer.

Are you happy with how the rankings finished and were you surprised by any moves up or down? What do you think about Bijan being #1 in both composite and 247?

I don't have a huge issue with the rankings. I wouldn't have dropped Karic down, but not all the way out of the Top247. That's just my opinion. I feel really good about the rankings overall. As for Bijan, Texas needed an elite back in 2020 and this is proof they got one. Some might call him a safe pick to be the No. 1 running back, but he's a high-floor prospect with some ceiling left to reach.

Why is it taking so long to hire a DL coach? I'm pretty sure the board is tired of hearing that "Hernan is taking his time" and we "gotta get it right". I understand some got raises and some got other positions but is that the real root cause? There are some big fish DL out there right now that I'm sure are impacted by the fact there is no DL coach. I would think the DL coach would've been one of the first coaches hired because games are won in the trenches. Its crucial we get our DLmen. What's the hold up folks?

Oscar Giles is still on staff and he's got the relationship with Collins and Umanmielen.

Will Herman spend more time connecting with the players from here on out?

I don't know if he will, but I think it's clear he needs to make an attempt to do so.

Other then Ehlinger and Ossai, who's the one player on offense and defense that needs to take the next step?

I'm not sure it's limited to one player - but maybe a couple entire position groups: receiver on offense (because of departing seniors) and linebacker on defense - especially with the news Juwan Mitchell is in the transfer portal. My two cents.

Without giving names and I know some of this will flush out during the spring....how much attrition do you see taking place

If I had to guess, I could see a scenario play out where 2-4 players left the program. Again, that's a guess not something that is set in stone.

Do you think a True freshman will start from day 1? If yes, then who?

Hm, that's a tough one. I could see Bijan Robinson being a consistent player in Year 1, but I don't think he would surpass Keaontay Ingram Day 1.

Mitchell is transferring??

Unfortunately, this one didn't come as much of a surprise, and for a number of reasons. I would imagine the timing has something to do with the semester starting.

Can you share the reasons?

There were some behind the scenes issues, according to multiple sources. That’s all we can really say about it at this point.

Your comment tying it to the start of the semester makes it sound grades related.

I don’t know about the grades side of it, we’re working to get more details on the entire situation. But I know a lot of times players will wait until the semester starts before announcing a transfer/entering the portal so they are already enrolled in classes and don’t have any hiccups.

Will there be a confidence board for the uncommitted guys leading into signing day? Mike, where do you stand on Texas’ targets?

We'll do it in The Stampede on Monday

Mods - what is your bold prediction for the highest moment (Happiest moment) of next years season?

I'm not sure i'm ready to go out on a limb on a recruit yet until i figure out how this staff recruits.

Mike, your thoughts on how this staff can sell Texas to those deciding before season starts?

They will have to work overtime to establish strong relationships. That’s it. They won’t have the benefit of on-field performance

1 minute ago, Houston20 said:

Roach is so out of the loop on practically everything it’s embarrassing 

Yeah.... atleast EJ was fun to hate on.  I’d rather watch paint dry than listen to roach or read his stuff.  They could not have picked a more boring person to cover recruiting.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What a weird recruitment

Yeah, nothing about Princely’s recruitment seems to makes sense. I get the impression we’ll be able to land him if we’re all in on getting him. If the new defensive staff uses this visit as more of a vetting process, he has other good options, like Florida. Thankfully, I don’t really view him as a must get or a total stay away so I’m pretty ambivalent either way.

As any good recruiting fan would do,  If he comes to Texas, I’ll focus on his upside and if he goes elsewhere I’ll focus on him being an attrition risk and expect him to be in the portal this time next year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It's going to take a lot more shit-posting if we're going to reach 1000. 

Man, NSD #2 is next Wed and we're not even to 900 with only a few kids to talk about.  Just not feeling it this year.  That said, give me a:

Dixon_drums_logo.png

Tom-Collins-Recipe-1200.jpg

prince-harry-prince-william-rift-england

and a 

rickshaw-kimono-iStock-1127997694.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

Man, NSD #2 is next Wed and we're not even to 900 with only a few kids to talk about.  Just not feeling it this year. 

NCAA didn't even consider the march to one thousand when they came up with that early signing day crap. Bastards.

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Malcolm Kelly can recruit, and he got to go up against Mehringer to boot.

Plus we missed on JSN and Fuounji to other programs.

Roach said (fuck I can't believe I just started a sentence with those words) that we "technically" didn't even offer JSN. Said he'd tell the story after Feb 5. Maybe re-name this thread Meh Didn't Offer?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Roach said (fuck I can't believe I just started a sentence with those words) that we "technically" didn't even offer JSN. Said he'd tell the story after Feb 5. Maybe re-name this thread Meh Didn't Offer?

I'm sure in the same way that I haven't proposed to Samara Weaving yet.