Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Looking good on Collins and Dixon heading into the final weekend. 

Playing from behind on Umanlymessianicman. Apparently the allure of eventually transferring from Gainesville is quite potent. 

Rosco Rickshaw is a toss-up before the visit. 

Anyone else in play at this point?

Just now, closetojumping said:

No idea. They were planning on holding spots for a GT or two all along. That could be as few as 19 guys in the class or as many as 23. 

Guess there's still some faint hope Savion Williams might make it in this weekend.  And a possible backup plan in Edric Whitely for Rakestraw if his visit falls through.  Should make for an interesting next 4-5 days.  At this point, as long as Collins signs I'll call it good.  Hoping for more, but he's the critical piece imo.

Mike Roach: Longhorns to host big group of visitors on final weekend of 2020

The final visit weekend of the 2020 cycle is upon us. Texas is doing everything they can to finish out with a bang. The Longhorns will host two 2020 official visitors this weekend along with a few underclassmen. Horns247 has the low-down on who will make it to campus.

2020 Official Visitors

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor

Texas was able to get Princely Umanmielen back in for an official visit starting last night, and it should run through Saturday. This was a huge step for the Longhorns in their pursuit to recover the former commit. Umanmielen is high on Florida and Baylor seems to be making their way back into the picture. There’s been some talk that Umanmielen could make a return visit to Baylor over the weekend, and Auburn is in the picture as well. There’s some cautious optimism in Austin, but they’ll need to navigate the weekend.

CB Ennis Rakestraw, Duncanville

One of the top targets on the Texas board, Rakestraw’s recruitment is becoming very interesting. Information surrounding the Dallas-area prospect is all over the place, but from what I’ve heard, Missouri and Texas seem to be the two schools slugging it out. There’s been some talk about Alabama, but the Crimson Tide staff is still sorting out their numbers for this year. I think proximity could win out, but Texas will have to crush this official visit to win him over.

Unofficial Visitors

CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball

Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but Ishmael Ibraheem is expected to visit this weekend. That’s been the case the last two weeks as well, but Ibraheem had ride issues. “Ride issues” are often code for something else, but I can tell you in this case, it is actually an issue with finding a ride. I’ve been told that Ibraheem is doing everything he can to make it to campus this weekend, and Texas will get their shot with one of the best 2021 defensive backs in the state.

WR Quaydarius Davis, Dallas Skyline

The former Texas commit is set to make the trip with his 7v7 team, and he talked with Horns247 a few weeks ago about wanting to make it back to Austin. Texas is pushing to land the talented playmaker, and getting him back on campus is the first step.

TE Landen King, Atascocita

King doesn’t yet hold an offer, but the 2021 prospect is picking up some steam on the recruiting trail. The Longhorns could move on him this weekend if they like what they see, and it might help them establish more of a foothold at Atascocita. King already holds offers from programs such as Tennessee, Houston, Southern Miss, Purdue, Virginia Tech, Tulane, and Texas Tech.

TE Trent McGaughey, Alvin Shadow Creek (2022)

Already a rising prospect in the 2022 class, the 6-foot-3, 224-pound McGaughey plans to visit Texas this weekend. McGaughey burst onto the scene as a member of the dangerous Shadow Creek offense, en-route to a state title. McGaughey is part of the Fast 7v7 organization and will be on the trip with his team.

WR Teddy Knox, The Woodlands

Knox hasn’t been to Austin much since being offered back in the summer. I’ve been told he’s a maybe for this weekend, but it would be big to get him back on campus. Knox is an incredible speedster with offers from programs such as Alabama, Baylor, Colorado, Mississippi State, and SMU.

LB Martrell Harris, The Woodlands (2022)

Harris already holds offers from Baylor and Mississippi State, and he should see his stock rise this year. At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Harris has a great frame. Texas saw him in action during the summer camp season, and they checked in on him several times over the last few weeks.

OL Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (2022)

Dewberry is one of the top offensive linemen in the state for his class, and he already holds offers from Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Penn State.  Texas A&M seems to have a lot of momentum in this recruitment, but Texas will get their opportunity to chip into that lead.

S Bryce Anderson, Beaumont Westbrook (2022)

Anderson was being pursued by Craig Naivar before he committed to LSU in September, and he’s still open to hearing from the Longhorns. Anderson is set to visit Austin with Fast 7v7, and Texas can try to make their way back into his recruitment.

CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial (2022)

Guilbeau has been picking up big offers this spring, and it shouldn’t be long before Texas throws their hat into the ring for the talented corner. Guilbeau will visit with Fast7v7, and he will be able to meet with the defensive coaches to see where he stands.

CB Eric Hemphill, Brenham (2022)

Hemphill is another part of the Fast7v7 crew headed to Texas, and he’s been on the Longhorns’ radar since impressing at their summer camp last year. Hemphill is part of a talented 2022 cornerback group, and he’s high on Texas early.

CB Julian Humphrey, Clear Lake (2022)

Humphrey is starting to gain some buzz due to his frame and athleticism, and his brother John Humphrey was a track star and football player in high school. In a big group of talented cornerbacks in 2022, Humphrey is another intriguing option.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No idea. They were planning on holding spots for a GT or two all along. That could be as few as 19 guys in the class or as many as 23. 

Also, if they only sign 19, I am going to proudly and obliviously crow and repost takes from last spring and summer in which I stated on here that Texas will be taking a small class. Had it the whole way. The Hermanataur and I are on the same half-man/half-reptilian brain wavelength. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Longhorns to host big group of visitors on final weekend of 2020

It’s an interesting update on multiple fronts. We’re about to find out how serious we are in upgrading how we play the game with the handlers. That’s a fuckton of trainer help on the final weekend in which Texas can see anyone for more than a month. To get them in when others are pushing for the same is probably a big deal. 

Regarding Humphrey, I wonder if his dad is John Humphrey from the 90’s era Galveston Ball teams that were a state power and put numerous guys into college and the pros. That would mean Bobby Humphrey (Bama) is a relative and they have great bloodlines. I played against the dude that was at G-Ball and he was a fucking horse with the ball in his hands. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Also, if they only sign 19, I am going to proudly and obliviously crow and repost takes from last spring and summer in which I stated on here that Texas will be taking a small class. Had it the whole way. The Hermanataur and I are on the same half-man/half-reptilian brain wavelength. 

Hmmmm, when Herman was first hired, didn’t you also confidently proclaim he’d take close to full class every cycle? Maybe my memory is deceiving me. If true, we’ll just choose to forget it happened on purpose.

Edited by Casual Encounter

20 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Hmmmm, when Herman was first hired, didn’t you also confidently proclaim he’d take close to full class every cycle? Maybe my memory is deceiving me. If true, we’ll just choose to forget it happened on purpose.

Of course. And then in this class they started claiming they were going the Clemson model. Then they buttfucked the season and stumbled backwards into a smaller class. Then I acted like I had it the whole way, which was meant to be funny to those who understand the concepts of learning and recruiting. It’s also an opportunity to whiff on that and take me seriously and tell me I was dead fucking wrong 3 years ago. That’s over a 1000 days. There’s a long list of CTJ-related fuck-ups between now and then. 

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Of course. And then in this class they started claiming they were going the Clemson model. Then they buttfucked the season and stumbled backwards into a smaller class. Then I acted like I had it the whole way, which was meant to be funny to those who understand the concepts of learning and recruiting. It’s also an opportunity to whiff on that and take me seriously and tell me I was dead fucking wrong 3 years ago. That’s over a 1000 days. There’s a long list of CTJ-related fuck-ups between now and then. 

As usual, you’re not as smart as you think you are. Your joke was obvious and I was merely extending the joke back a few years. But, you keep do you, smartest guy in the room.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Looking good on Collins and Dixon heading into the final weekend. 

Playing from behind on Umanlymessianicman. Apparently the allure of eventually transferring from Gainesville is quite potent. 

Rosco Rickshaw is a toss-up before the visit. 

If he's torn but hasn't visited us yet, gotta like our chances. Pass me the kool-aid.

IT - Humidor

Spoiler

By: Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

Portaling, workouts, recruiting.

Pretty standard, really.

PORTAL GIVETH?

Texas has been in contact with wide receiver Tarik Black from Michigan. Black was originally a four-star from Connecticut in the 2017 class. In a career largely derailed by injuries, he only has 40 career receptions and 2 touchdowns. However, after playing in just three games in each of his first two seasons, he played in 11 in 2019. He totaled 25 receptions. I know little of the 6-foot-3, 215 pounder, but his high school tape was good -- showing good change-of-direction for a player his size.

He'll be a graduate transfer after the Spring semester. Before then he'll take his five official visits. Texas has been in touch and is expected to get one of those officials later this spring.

UT has a good pitch for him: new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich has a good history with this type of receiver, Texas has a good senior quarterback, and the depth chart is thin. So thin, that even if for some reason he only added depth that would be a value add.

PORTAL TAKETH?

Junior linebacker Juwan Mitchell's future at Texas is hanging in the balance. I know the board always wants the most minute details but we'll sit on those for a while. From what I can gather this seems to be a situation where both parties share the blame.

I've heard that Mitchell had immediate interest from schools but I don't know that he truly wants to leave. My read of the situation is he prefers to stay and the staff feels the same, things just got heated and boiled over.

If he stays, we'll have to be on alert for this happening again. Often these sorts of fixes (if that occurs) are short-lived.

If he leaves, he would be assuming a lot of risk. Where will he go with better opportunity and a defensive line that will make his life easier?

SPRING NOTES

New leaders: You can tell from the outside that Keondre Coburn has emerged as a team leader. He's very vocal and always reminding teammates why they're really there - "we're trying to win a Natty!" he'll shout. If you're now deleting your comments about him as a recruit, you're probably not alone. Coburn is football-focused in ways few are. We heard he texted Yancy McKnight, "kill us" this off-season. Coburn is loud and opinionated but the players love it and respond to him.

We've also heard a surprising name emerging as a leader -- D'Shawn Jamison. We've heard much of the 2018 guys are taking more ownership but Jamison has been vocal and leading by example in the weight room.

Surprisingly, leadership turned out to be an issue last year. The older guys tried to lead by example rather than vocally and too much slipped through the cracks - guys missing workouts and the like. The team was better prepared physically than mentally last year. The older players could have done a better job of holding the younger ones accountable.

We're already hearing about offensive and defensive workouts being held away from the program. That's a new one for this time of year.

Early enrollees: There's a selection bias involved when discussing early enrollees. I'm noticing a trend of guys coming in eager to work every January but that's a function of them being eager to get to campus and get to work in the first place. We've heard nothing but good things about the early enrollee freshman but the one who seems to stand out early is defensive back Xavion Alford. Alford's strong mental eval was known before arriving on campus but it's holding true. He's mature and has the right mentality.

Said one source of Card, "they'll put weight on him easily." Card's known for being kind of quiet. That's a good way to come in to a new environment but we'll see how long that lasts at that position.

DT COACH

And then there was one position left to fill. Think of all the things that have happened in the world since Tom Herman began his coaching changes.

The staff would prefer this one stay under wraps until National Signing Day and we'll oblige. I'm vaguely familiar with the name from his time spent in the region, but most will need Wikipedia. That doesn't mean it won't be a good hire. Most coaches at this level are interchangeable. A guy at Wake Forest could be a better teacher than the guy at Auburn, or whatever. Typically coaches are elevated by the materials they have to work with. The new coach will have better materials to work with at Texas than his current place of employment. Similarly, recruiting won't be nearly the slog, either.

Imagine showing up for your first day and having Alfred Collins dropped in your lap. We'll see if that happens.

STATE OF RECRUITING

With the dead period around the corner, the Texas staff is continuing to bring in prospects at every opportunity. With all but the bow put on the 2020 class, the staff has hit the trail hard to get face time with the classes ahead.

But, about that bow. Texas still needs a corner, a wide receiver, and yes, a defensive lineman, at least from the vantage of Chris Ash.

2020 (official visits)

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor - The big man is currently taking his official visit to Texas. The recruitment for the four-star defensive lineman and one-time Texas commit has had its ups and downs, but once UT landed Vernon Broughton and/or Alfred Collins, he didn't become quite the must-have. Florida has a shot. Baylor has a shot. Texas has a shot. Whoever offers him before Wednesday morning has a shot. Texas DC Chris Ash is a big fan of Umanmielen so Princely will probably feel some renewed intensity on the visit. He's going to get a unique perspective of how the program operates with workouts ongoing.

CB Ennis Rakestraw, Duncanville - This one could get tricky. The late blossoming corner from DFW is down to Texas, Alabama, and Missouri. The thought process pre-Texas official visit is if Bama has room they're the favorites. If Bama doesn’t have room, this weekend’s visit to Austin is critical in taking control of this pursuit. We should have a good idea on Monday, but Texas and Ja’Quinden Jackson has some work to do to ensure they land him. Missouri has done a great job in this recruitment too, and that's why they're hanging around the hoop.

WR Quay Davis, Dallas Skyline - One of the top receivers in the nation, the former Texas commit could be a current Texas commit before he puts pen to paper in 11 months. Georgia and USC are the latest offers for the four-star pass-catcher. Davis almost feels like he’s still in this class. In recent weeks he's been more receptive to Alabama, so we're watching them.

WR Teddy Knox, The Woodlands - In a class full of slot receivers, the 5-foot-10, 170-pound Knox is in the top tier. JoJo Earle insurance needs a new policy. He should be a take regardless because he has the speed to get deep and the traits to become a masterful route runner. Louisiana is loaded with receivers so hopefully LSU (he's from Baton Rouge) fills up elsewhere.

TE Landen King, Humble Atascosita - At 6-foot-5, King is part of a talented team and receiving corps in Humble. He’s under the radar right now, but could burst on the recruiting scene this year. He's definitely more of a receiving tight end.

CB Caleb Weaver, Jersey Village - The multi-sport athlete has UH, Baylor, and Louisiana Tech talking to him early. Dynamic on offense, but defense is probably his projection.

QB Lucas Lenhoff, Cathedral (Los Angeles, CA) - The young signal-caller from the west coast is a name we're still getting to know. We do know his mom went to UT and his dad is from Dallas. He could grow into a big-time prospect. He's a member of Fast 7 on 7 and can't wait to work with guys like Quaydarius Davis and Cody Jackson.

TE Trent McGaughey, Alvin Shadow Creek - Oregon, Tennessee, Purdue, and Nebraska all offered in the last month. At 6-foot-3, 225 pounds, the talented tight end is highly regarded by the Texas staff. He’s an offer, might as well get it out of the way.

LB Martrell Harris Jr, Woodlands - Related to and relocated with Teddy Knox from Baton Rouge, Harris is a plus+ athlete at a position in high demand, with Mississippi State offering this week. He had to play JV this season because of transfer rules. He may blow up on the camp circuit before he blows up on the field, but it's on the way. If LSU offers at any point this recruitment is probably a wrap, but if Texas can land Knox the chances probably increase. Harris does like Texas and visited last Summer.

CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial - The Golden Triangle is showering athletes on the state like Guilbeau, his teammate Jordon Thomas, and Bryce Anderson. LSU, Oregon, and Texas A&M are early offers for the rock-built defensive back.

CB Eric Hemphill, Brenham - Good hips, good speed, and sticky coverage skills, Hemphill only lacks a little bit of length. He has a good build, though, and won't be easy to push around. He's already a consistent sub-50 second 400 meter runner.

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook - The Geaux Tigers early pledge was getting offers before he played on varsity. He’s visited Austin a few times, and is probably more open than he lets on.

CB Julian Humphrey, Clear Lake - The 6-foot-1 younger brother of former four-star John Humphrey, Julian is a speedster in the corner mold. Houston, Baylor, and Indiana are his early offers.

In addition to cornerbacks Denver Harris (North Shore) and Bobby Taylor (Katy) visiting last week, Texas is hitting that loaded 2022 defensive back class early.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Also, Josh Moore has a firm court date and we should expect to know how this shakes out with the team before Spring practice. 

Gotta think that if he's got a "firm court date" (although I frankly don't know what you mean by that), he already has a plea deal hammered out, which means the staff would have pretty good insight into his ability to get back into the program.  Can't imagine he'd be allowed to practice if he were going to actually take his issue to trial.

41 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

As usual, you’re not as smart as you think you are. Your joke was obvious and I was merely extending the joke back a few years. But, you keep do you, smartest guy in the room.

One thing is for sure, I’m not the only poster on this page displaying their dogged commitment to staying in character. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Court dates are often pretty fluid. This one isn't.

Meh.  You're overstating it.  Here's the docket setting:

J-Moore-Court-Date.png

It's the third pre-trial conference setting, which means that it's another opportunity for the attorney to discuss the matter with the prosecutor.  They are often serially reset when the defendant is going through pretrial programs/counseling/etc., which are then factors in what kind of a plea deal the prosecutors will give.  They're also reset sometimes while discovery is exchanged with the defendant's attorney.

Also, this is the definition of a "fluid" court date.  It's not a trial, and no trial has been set.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

I thought we had determined Katfid was a racist IT man?

He's a faceless man, sir. Whoever he needs to be, he is. Handwriting connoisseur? Check. Psychologist? Indeed. Lawyer? Of course. Marketing and design guru? No doubt. Tautological psuedo-sophisticate? You got it. Voluminously banal, tediously wordsmithing, board-loitering shitheel? In spades.

And then, he fades gently into the crowd until the next time he needs to rise up for this board ... in roughly 83 seconds from the last time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's a faceless man, sir. Whoever he needs to be, he is. Handwriting connoisseur? Check. Psychologist? Indeed. Lawyer? Of course. Marketing and design guru? No doubt. Tautological psuedo-sophisticate? You got it. Voluminously banal, tediously wordsmithing, board-loitering shitheel? In spades.

And then, he fades gently into the crowd until the next time he needs to rise up for this board ... in roughly 83 seconds from the last time.

source.gif

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I thought he was an Indian leprechaun of Germanic descent who ran an IT sweatshop specializing in Tibetan IP law and dabbled in extraterrestrial colonization theory while moonlighting as the bassist in a three dog night cover band, when not posting here. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I thought he was an Indian leprechaun of Germanic descent who ran an IT sweatshop specializing in Tibetan IP law and dabbled in extraterrestrial colonization theory, when not posting here. 

That pretty much describes everyone on Surly.  We’re going to need more specifics.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I thought he was an Indian leprechaun of Germanic descent who ran an IT sweatshop specializing in Tibetan IP law and dabbled in extraterrestrial colonization theory while moonlighting as the bassist in a three dog night cover band, when not posting here. 

7 minutes ago, stork642 said:

That pretty much describes everyone on Surly.  We’re going to need more specifics.  

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

His mom tricks for Newports and his dad mules heroin into Delaware state prisons as a vocation. 

giphy.gif