Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Humphrey, I wonder if his dad is John Humphrey from the 90’s era Galveston Ball teams that were a state power and put numerous guys into college and the pros. That would mean Bobby Humphrey (Bama) is a relative and they have great bloodlines. I played against the dude that was at G-Ball and he was a fucking horse with the ball in his hands. 

That's a whole lot of balls. 

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

There’s always hope:

Oh man. The fucking VaHorn clown. What a pathetic waste of oxygen. I swear the sum and substance of his existence on this site is making posts that talk shit about me and then clicking around and downvoting my posts. I must have fucked his wife or daughter in college or something. There’s got to be better shit to do than that. 

8 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Found NowThis’ sock.

Speaking of negs, I tried to upvote this post and it keeps acting like I negged it. Sorry if that is the case. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Apparently Princely is supposed to dip early from UT to go to Baylor. Aight.

Hoping he joins Mullen's malcontents in Florida just in case he pans out, but this dude is the prince of the flakes this cycle (Evans is obviously the God-Emperor).

EPox0d2W4AM0bd2?format=jpg&name=medium

If this is a Larry Correia reference +rep

8 hours ago, Thiefery said:

How is Princely being flaky right now a bad thing? .. he better make the right decision for himself.. taking a visit to waco is alright with me.  He signs with us, terrific, if he doesn't oh well.  Collins, VB and Welsh is as solid DL haul that we have seen in years.

Pfffttt.  How soon we for get about 2016: Gerald Wilbon, Marcel Southall, D'Andre Christmas Giles, Chris Daniels and Jordan Elliot.....oh wait

Jeff Howe: Recent history suggests sleeping on Jaylan Ford would be foolish

When Tom Herman announces the 2020 recruiting class in its entirety once National Signing Day is in the books, Jaylan Ford will be a signee a lot of folks overlook. It’s nothing against Ford’s ability as a player or how he projects as a prospect, but such is life for the lowest-rated member of a particular year’s recruiting haul. For Texas, however, that distinction hasn’t been a bad thing.

Taking kickers, punters and junior college prospects out of the equation, the lowest-rated high school signee of every class is typically thought of as someone a program like Texas would be lucky to get some meaningful reps from down the road. With that said, the prospect who held that distinction in five of the last six classes for the Longhorns has gone on to enjoy a meaningful career (for the most part).

Elijah Rodriguez was a late addition to the 2014 class, recruited by Joe Wickline in the few weeks the newly-hired Charlie Strong regime had to finish off the cycle. Rodriguez left Texas as a fifth-year senior with 18 career starts and 34 games under his belt, including starting all 13 games as a team captain in 2018 in helping Texas to a 10-win season and a Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia.

Breckyn Hager was flipped by Strong from Baylor, the program from where his brother, Bryce Hager, was an All-Big 12 linebacker and an eventual NFL draft pick, in the 2015 cycle. Breckyn Hager moved from inside linebacker to outside linebacker under Strong and then to the defensive line under Tom Herman, finishing his career as a three-time All-Big 12 selection (twice named second-team All-Big 12) while starting 22 of 48 games for the Longhorns.

Long after breaking a commitment to Kansas State late in the 2016 cycle in order to enroll at Texas for the spring semester, Zach Shackelford started all 13 games in 2019, leaving school as a four-year starter (40 starts in 43 games played) at center. Shackelford was a two-time first-team All-Big 12 selection (2018 by the Associated Press, 2019 by the league’s coaches), making him the first Longhorn lineman since Adam Utatoski in 2008 and 2009 to be named first-team All-Big 12 two years in a row.

That’s what’s known about the recruits in question who have completed their eligibility. The last two recruits prior to Ford — Christian Jones in 2018 and Jared Wiley in 2019 — are among the candidates to be significant risers up the depth chart in the spring.

The lone recruit among the last six without a chance to be a player of consequence for the Longhorns is Rob Cummins (2017), who was forced to medically retire following the 2019 season due to a series of knee injuries. The 2017 class did find a hidden gem, however, with Samuel Cosmi (the second-lowest rated signee in an abbreviated cycle for Herman and Co.) emerging as a legitimate All-American candidate with a chance to be taken high in the 2021 NFL Draft given the buzz surrounding him following his decision to return to school for his junior season.

As for Ford, the former Utah commit put together a tremendous senior season on a stout Frisco Lone Star defense with 142 tackles (115 solos), 11 tackles for loss, one sack, six quarterback pressures, one interception, one pass breakup and one forced fumble. The 6-foot-3-inch, 210-pound Ford is the only pure linebacker from the high school ranks the Longhorns are slated to add to the mix before next season and with depth at the position being a major concern, Ford has a chance to make his presence felt quickly.