Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Drumm is finally waiving the white flag after selling intangible hope the last few weeks

*** This is the type of info I hate bringing your way, but I have also kept a pretty steady opinion in that five-star DL Alfred Collins was always a bit of a long shot for OU.

It’s not a surprise that Collins and OU seem to be heading in different directions. Collins comes from a Longhorn family and is a Horns legacy with his mother playing for UT. The fact OU made it this difficult is impressive with everything working against them to start.

I spoke to a few people and their outlook on it was that Collins was a “take,” no matter how close OU got to 85 on the scholarship chart. Source told me, “(OU) would make it work... regardless.” Source also said the Sooners knew it was going to be tough landing Collins, but with majority of the DL locked down “why not?”

I know some may feel different and that‘s okay cause that’s what this message board is for— you all to vent and discuss. Will say, adding Grimes to what the Sooners have in Winfrey, Ellison and Arinze is a very, very solid DL class and filled with guys that can potentially play right away.

Look, I’m not here to sugarcoat it and know a lot are disappointed in the news. All I can do is report it and add that I think OU has done a good job recruiting DL over the last 3-4 years. This past season was the first year you saw Thibs classes get the PT and contribute in big way. You would think that trend will continue and get better.

With OU having Gallimore, potentially, going in the first round — and Perkins, Redmond, Winfrey, Ellison and others coming up — there should be more players in the near future he can point to for recruiting purposes.

However, in my opinion, this is a big year for the DL. OU returns a ton of talent and has some up and comers already in the program — along with the additions from the 2020 class — so on paper the talent is there and the Sooners should be more than solid.

It’s gotta be for the Sooners to continue to add top tier talent on the DL, as they have over the last few years, and to take that next step of landing the Collins of the recruiting world. If not, there will be some questioning in regards to that position.

I do like where Thibs has brought the DL. If it continues to progress the position there is a lot to like going forward.

The next step is landing Collins types and not being runner-up.

After all that, I’m basically saying don’t hold your breath on the Sooners landing Alfred Collins on Monday. There will be a DL signee in 247sports four-star and Under Armor All American/Polynesian Bowl top DL, Reggie Grimes, signing with the Sooners on Wednesday.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Drumm is finally waiving the white flag after selling intangible hope the last few weeks

Hide contents

*** This is the type of info I hate bringing your way, but I have also kept a pretty steady opinion in that five-star DL Alfred Collins was always a bit of a long shot for OU.

It’s not a surprise that Collins and OU seem to be heading in different directions. Collins comes from a Longhorn family and is a Horns legacy with his mother playing for UT. The fact OU made it this difficult is impressive with everything working against them to start.

I spoke to a few people and their outlook on it was that Collins was a “take,” no matter how close OU got to 85 on the scholarship chart. Source told me, “(OU) would make it work... regardless.” Source also said the Sooners knew it was going to be tough landing Collins, but with majority of the DL locked down “why not?”

I know some may feel different and that‘s okay cause that’s what this message board is for— you all to vent and discuss. Will say, adding Grimes to what the Sooners have in Winfrey, Ellison and Arinze is a very, very solid DL class and filled with guys that can potentially play right away.

Look, I’m not here to sugarcoat it and know a lot are disappointed in the news. All I can do is report it and add that I think OU has done a good job recruiting DL over the last 3-4 years. This past season was the first year you saw Thibs classes get the PT and contribute in big way. You would think that trend will continue and get better.

With OU having Gallimore, potentially, going in the first round — and Perkins, Redmond, Winfrey, Ellison and others coming up — there should be more players in the near future he can point to for recruiting purposes.

However, in my opinion, this is a big year for the DL. OU returns a ton of talent and has some up and comers already in the program — along with the additions from the 2020 class — so on paper the talent is there and the Sooners should be more than solid.

It’s gotta be for the Sooners to continue to add top tier talent on the DL, as they have over the last few years, and to take that next step of landing the Collins of the recruiting world. If not, there will be some questioning in regards to that position.

I do like where Thibs has brought the DL. If it continues to progress the position there is a lot to like going forward.

After all that, I’m basically saying don’t hold your breath on the Sooners landing Alfred Collins on Monday. There will be a DL signee in 247sports four-star and Under Armor All American/Polynesian Bowl top DL, Reggie Grimes, signing with the Sooners on Wednesday.

Didn't most of the Thibs classes already portal out?

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

Hide contents

I don’t pay much attention to the pre-draft run-up, but is there any validity to this idiot claiming that Gallimore could be a 1st round pick? If so, wow. The NFL is even more fucked up than I thought. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t pay much attention to the pre-draft run-up, but is there any validity to this idiot claiming that Gallimore could be a 1st round pick? If so, wow. The NFL is even more fucked up than I thought. 

Probably Drumm being a homer honk 

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This.  Also confused as to why pundits seem to think that K. Murray is a first-round LB prospect as well.  Dude is a good player, but going that early seems egregious.  Seems like there's several LBs out there that would be better served going before him, but maybe I just need to take off my burnt orange glasses....

5 minutes ago, HornDomination said:

This.  Also confused as to why pundits seem to think that K. Murray is a first-round LB prospect as well.  Dude is a good player, but going that early seems egregious.  Seems like there's several LBs out there that would be better served going before him, but maybe I just need to take off my burnt orange glasses....

Animated GIF

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Quick google has him being slotted at the end of the 1st round, and impressing in workouts and likely to move up the board. He's listed as the 3rd DT behind the stud from Auburn and the guy from South Carolina. I'm as shocked as you are, that flopping pussy. 

I'm getting caught up after a week away, so this is an old discussion, but Princely isn't flaky in the same way as Shepherd was.

My biggest concern is that he doesn't want to play positions that he's suited for.  His best potential is as a 3-4 DE, and he thinks himself a Speed Rush OLB.  Tunmise will have the same problem.

7 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I'm getting caught up after a week away, so this is an old discussion, but Princely isn't flaky in the same way as Shepherd was.

My biggest concern is that he doesn't want to play positions that he's suited for.  His best potential is as a 3-4 DE, and he thinks himself a Speed Rush OLB.  Tunmise will have the same problem.

Triggered

48 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is Jerry Jones grandson isn't it? I assumed they'd all just go to Arkansas.

yeah.  charlotte’s kid.  he’s big and athletic but rich kids from HP rarely have the drive to bust ass enough to get on the field at meaningful schools.  more than likely he’ll be a frat star before he sees any snaps. 

Inside Scoop: 2/3/20

CLOSING OUT 2020

With the dead period beginning today and running through the end of the month and Junior Days normally set for February, the staff hosted a number of prospects in the month of January. They also offered an abnormal amount, indicative of a more proactive approach towards recruiting in 2021 and beyond. But first thing's first. Texas needs to close out 2020 and towards that end hosted Ennis Rakestraw, a much needed cornerback hailing from Duncanville.

“It felt like home," Rakestraw said about Austin. It's no secret his parents would like to keep him close to home, but Alabama and Missouri are both in the mix. The Crimson Tide might take him if they have room, and the Tigers have been in pursuing to varying degrees for nearly a year. Texas needed a strong official and I believe they got it. “The defensive scheme really stands out," said Rakestraw. "The way they use corners, and I really like coach Valai and coach Ash.”

This decision will happen over the next 48 hours. It appears to be a Texas-Mizzou battle, with Alabama on the sidelines waiting to see if there's room. He's set to announce on Wednesday, 8am. It's a toss-up this morning. There is as much confidence as there is concern on the Texas side; confidence they did a good job hosting, concern that it might be too little too late.

Texas would also like to add Manor defensive lineman Princely Umanmielen to the roster. The one thing that could have injected uncertainty in this recruitment occurred, because of course it did. The one-time Texas commit took his second official visit to Baylor. This was allowed because of the head coaching change. We know Umanmielen wants to play in a four-man front which will happen more frequently in Austin than in Waco, but the Baylor depth chart is more conducive to early playing time. Like Rakestraw, this one is too close to call and nothing would surprise us with Princely. Clearly he likes Baylor and at one point earlier in the process had interest in LSU despite the Tigers not employing a four-man front. We'll defer to @northhorn on intel on Princely coming out of Waco.

While there is uncertainty around Rakestraw and Umanmielen we still feel confident Kelvontay Dixon will sign with Texas. The Carthage athlete will likely start his career at wide receiver. Our friends at Tracking Football have his athleticism rated in the 92nd percentile for FBS WRs and he'd be the fifth most athletic wide receiver Texas has signed of 22 rated since 2010. Obviously wide receiver is a big need in the class.

WEEKEND VISITORS

Trent McGaughey
, Alvin Shadow Creek... One of the state's top prospects for 2022 has been a popular guy of late. Oregon, Nebraska, Tennessee, and North Carolina are just a few of the tight end's most recent offers. Texas definitely made an impression. “The visit was great actually," said McGaughey. “The environment and the way the coaches treated me. I loved my visit there.” It's still early, but another good sign of the staff's early relationship building.

Phaizon Wilson, Lancaster... The first thing you need to know is he calls himself New York. He's a transfer from South Oak Cliff and only had 8 catches last year but at 6-foot-4, 200 pounds, the 2022 receiver holds 10 offers including Florida, Arkansas, Illinios, and Kansas.

“It was great,” said Wilson. “I would commit there if I get that offer. I connected with the receiver coach (Coleman) really well.“

What stood out the most about this trip? “The coaching really stands out,” Wilson said. “They’re all cool. They know when to be serious and when to be real. And the new facilities are really nice.” Wilson is a stud at a position Texas needs studs at for the foreseeable future. Look at UT working Lancaster early. .

Landen King, Humble Atascocita... the 6-foot-5 WR/TE wasn't expecting an offer when he arrived on campus. He got a pleasant surprise. “Unreal," said King about his new offer. "I can't believe it." King is a part of a highly-talented crew from Atascocita. Teammate Kam Dewberry (2022 OL) joined King and both look to come back soon, possibly for the spring game.

TEXAS' BEST 2021 COMMIT

While Jalen Milroe is the bell cow of 2021's class, he might not be the most talented. When Denton Ryan ATH (DE/TE) Ja’Tavion Sanders visited UT a few weeks back, he looked like a different dude than the kid who committed last summer.

At 6-foot-5, 235, the four-star has morphed into the monster foretold in his sophomore tape. His junior year was special. He helped lead the Ryan Raiders to the 5A State championship game, only to lose in the final minutes. But the foundation for future success was cemented with Sanders' play and the number of talented underclassmen at Ryan - Billy Bowman Jr (2021, Texas pledge), Austin Jordan (2022), and Anthony Hill (2023) to name a few.

Inside Texas: What were your expectations today?

Ja'Tavion Sanders: "To see coach Herman and the new staff. (Herman) is a good guy and definitely will get me right for my future."

IT: What did you think of the new staff?

JS: "Coach Ash is definitely a great coach and I can't wait to build a relationship with him. He said he likes how I'll fit in the new defensive scheme. And how I get to rush the passer. I haven't made my decision on which position I'll play, coach Herman told me I can decide. I'm still an athlete. I've played both positions my entire life."

IT: Being a Texas pledge already, what was your main takeaway?

JS: "That this is definitely the place where I want to be, a place like this. I can't wait to be a Longhorn."

IT: You get to see any renderings of what the renovated DKR will look like?

JS: "Definitely, it's going to be really nice. I can't wait to play here."

While Sanders has the ability to play offense, he has a lucrative future playing defensive end.

CORNELIUS ON YURCICH

Former Oklahoma State quarterback Taylor Cornelius spent his entire career in a quarterback room managed by Mike Yurcich. During Cornelius’ senior season in 2018, he passed for 3978 yards and 32 touchdowns after waiting his turn in Stillwater for four seasons.

Cornelius may know better than anyone what Yurcich’s coaching process and offense is like. Inside Texas caught up with him as he prepares for the upcoming XFL season as a member of the Tampa Bay Vipers.

How involved was Coach Gundy in the process week to week? Did Yurcich have a lot of autonomy in bringing in his own stuff, or was he calling what Gundy wanted on a week by week basis?

“I think it was probably a mixture of both. Gundy obviously had a say in what he wanted but at the same time he trusted Yurcich enough, and Yurcich in my mind was the top coordinator in the NCAA. He definitely had whatever he wanted to get put in.”

I know that when you were there, when Mason Rudolph was there, and even now the deep ball seemed to be a big priority for OSU. Was that something that Coach Yurcich brought in, or where did that part of the offense come from?

“I think Oklahoma State pushes the ball down the field. He wasn’t there when (Brandon) Weeden was there or (Justin) Blackmon or anybody like that, so I think that was a little bit of Gundy in that offense and how it works. At the same time, Yurcich wants to take shots. He wants to put the ball down the field for sure.”

How much control at the line of scrimmage did you have on a given play? What was on your menu when you went to the line of scrimmage?

“We had our checks versus certain looks and stuff like that, so we could definitely get out of plays if we didn’t like it.”

You normally went to the line knowing what you were running, not exactly having two plays then going from there?

“Right. Exactly.”

What was the primary goal of his game plan from week to week?

“We obviously wanted to push the ball down the field but at the same time, we had back to back years of thousand yard rushers and stuff like that. It’s not all push the ball down the field.”

How was he as a person? How was he coaching mechanically? How would you assess how he was able to coach you both in the facility and on the field for your career?

“I loved it. He’s real hands on. I really have no complaints about Coach Yurcich. That’s my guy. We got along great. He’s hard but at the same time he pushes you because he sees what potential you have.”

Last question, when did you know that zone read keeper was going to beat the Longhorns in 2018?

“We changed our play once we called a timeout. I guess I knew right before the ball was snapped.” So did we, Taylor, so did we.

Find me on Twitter @EricNahlin, or the Red Lion

MissionsBack2BackChamps

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
OU sux

I want to throat punch Steve Patterson

• Like 3

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Probably Drumm being a homer honk 

There’s some mocks throwing him in the back end of the first round, but mocks this early are pretty unreliable. I’ll be surprised if he goes first round, but he’s definitely going to get drafted above where his college play dictates, because of measurables and ability to impress in limited practice snaps where he can go 100% every play. 

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is Jerry Jones grandson isn't it? I assumed they'd all just go to Arkansas.

Are you saying I will finally be able to go back to my Cowboys once Paxton takes over. I probably won't be around but a Longhorn and Jerry gone would allow me to drink blue kool-aid again. Fuck Jerry!

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

For the first time in my life, I have insider info to share. A source passed me a transcript of that meeting:

Looks like we may have a battle of sources.  Here's what mine said:

*meeting begins*

coach: "hey you were right, they misgraded your papers in those three classes."

*meeting ends*

When was the last time we got meaningful contributions from a PWO guy? We get excited for a couple every year around this time but it seems like they top out at "emergency depth that you wouldn't feel awful having to play".

Also, we were all kinda WTF on the Valai hire when it happened, but the recruiting seems as advertised. He appears to have built a good relationship with Rakestraw in a hurry. I hope the dude can coach.

11 minutes ago, tokamak said:

When was the last time we got meaningful contributions from a PWO guy? We get excited for a couple every year around this time but it seems like they top out at "emergency depth that you wouldn't feel awful having to play".

Also, we were all kinda WTF on the Valai hire when it happened, but the recruiting seems as advertised. He appears to have built a good relationship with Rakestraw in a hurry. I hope the dude can coach.

Literally the last game we played. Cort Jaquess. Luke Brockermeyer's also played some special teams I believe. Dylan Haines was a starter.

The biggest thing beyond the occasional breakout guy is that good walkons make practice much better for the starters.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Isn't this just the second or third recruiting class where Herman has emphasized PWO's?

I would expect them to start having an impact their third or fourth year on campus at the earliest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Literally the last game we played. Cort Jaquess. Luke Brockermeyer's also played some special teams I believe. Dylan Haines was a starter.

The biggest thing beyond the occasional breakout guy is that good walkons make practice much better for the starters.

Jaquess is probably one resaon why Juwan Mitchell thought he should transfer. Glad he changed his mind. Jaquess got the start after Vaughns and Gbenda were suspended.

16 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I’m not sure who you’re reading on here to make a statement like “we get excited.” Most folks here are like “cool” and move on. Unless you’re reading NorLa Horns masturbatory fan fiction about Tom Herman fielding an entire team of the Walk Ons converted to scholarship players, which I wouldn’t recommend, the rest of the board isn’t getting “excited.” 

Never go full NorLa. 

5 hours ago, nycHorn said:

TFB on Rakestraw:

Hide contents

This past weekend 2020 CB, Ennis Rakestraw (Duncanville) took his official visit to Texas. Rakestraw is down to a top three of Texas, Missouri and Alabama.

Rakestraw has the longest standing relationship with the Missouri staff. They’ve been recruiting Ennis since last spring and offered him this fall. So, going into this visit, I felt they were in the lead.

So could Texas do enough to bridge the relationship gap?

I spoke with Rakestraw last night. I asked him to go through each of his final three schools and discuss why he would or wouldn’t choose that particular school.

***Alabama

If he chose Alabama, Rakestraw said it would be because it was his dream school. He also added that coach Saban runs a successful program and they’ve done a great job of putting guys into the league.

If he doesn’t choose Alabama, he says it would likely be because of the depth at Alabama. The possibility of getting on the field early isn’t as great.

***Missouri

If he chose Missouri, Ennis says it would be due to the relationships he has with the staff.

If he didn’t choose Missouri, he says it would be due to the distance from home and the convenience for his family making it to games. He actually specifically brought up Texas as being more convenient for his family.

***Texas

If he chose Texas, Ennis says, “why wouldn’t I choose Texas? I mean, it’s my home state. It’s Texas and it’s convenient for my family”

And if he didn’t go Ennis said very simply, “it would’ve been because of the relationships but after this visit I got that figured out”. In other words, there no longer seems to be any reason for him not to choose Texas.

My Take

I came away from that conversation feeling pretty confident that Texas is now the team to beat. Whatever advantage Missouri may have had in terms of relationships, Ennis indicated that Texas evened the playing field. Where Missouri can’t compete with Texas is in distance to home and the status of the University of Texas in the mind of a Texas native.

Rakestraw says he will announce his decision on Wednesday morning and I think you’ll be glad you tuned in for it.

the relationships angle is weird considering that if he DID have close relationships with Orlando (lol) or Washington then they would be gone and he wouldn't have any here now. 

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

the relationships angle is weird considering that if he DID have close relationships with Orlando (lol) or Washington then they would be gone and he wouldn't have any here now. 

He's saying that he didn't have much of a relationship with Texas coaches because they didn't start recruiting him until late in the process, while Missouri has been recruiting him all along.

However, since his official visit, he feels that he now has a relationship with the Texas coaches and Missouri's advantage in that respect has vanished.

28 minutes ago, NoName said:

Just now, BornOrange said:

He's saying that he didn't have much of a relationship with Texas coaches because they didn't start recruiting him until late in the process, while Missouri has been recruiting him all along.

However, since his official visit, he feels that he now has a relationship with the Texas coaches and Missouri's advantage in that respect has vanished.

I don’t get why all the 9.95ers keep talking about Rakestraw’s long-standing relationship with Mizzou. They fired Odom and basically their entire staff with him at the end of the year. Is there any coach at Mizzou who could’ve even offered Rakestraw last spring and still be at Mizzou? I don’t see how Mizzou has any better relationship with Rakestraw than Texas coaches, especially Ash, who was unofficially our DC before Drinkwitz even got hired. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tokamak said:

45 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"The deeper the better."

- South Austin's Mom

Edited by Poolflood
Did I do that right?

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t get why all the 9.95ers keep talking about Rakestraw’s long-standing relationship with Mizzou. They fired Odom and basically their entire staff with him at the end of the year. Is there any coach at Mizzou who could’ve even offered Rakestraw last spring and still be at Mizzou? I don’t see how Mizzou has any better relationship with Rakestraw than Texas coaches, especially Ash, who was unofficially our DC before Drinkwitz even got hired. 

I’m guessing they’re talking about it because Rakestraw kept bringing it up. Also, let’s not pretend Ash being official or unofficial mattered. Dude wasn’t out there hustling in advance. I’m pretty sure he didn’t move into his office and head to Belmont until 4-5 days after his hiring date. 

also, 995ers are lazy, unoriginal dipshits. 

Edited by SydneyCarton