Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t get why all the 9.95ers keep talking about Rakestraw’s long-standing relationship with Mizzou. They fired Odom and basically their entire staff with him at the end of the year. Is there any coach at Mizzou who could’ve even offered Rakestraw last spring and still be at Mizzou? I don’t see how Mizzou has any better relationship with Rakestraw than Texas coaches, especially Ash, who was unofficially our DC before Drinkwitz even got hired. 

Good point, I had completely forgotten about Missouri's staff getting the axe.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m guessing they’re talking about it because Rakestraw kept bringing it up. Also, let’s not pretend Ash being official or unofficial mattered. Dude wasn’t out there hustling in advance. I’m pretty sure he didn’t move into his office and head to Belmont until 4-5 days after his hiring date. 

also, 995ers are lazy, unoriginal dipshits. 

Yeah, for as much as I’d love to convince myself Herman is a changed man and be optimistic about the coaching staff this offseason, the fact that Ash was the guy since late November and doesn’t appear to have actually started working, I.e. recruiting/offering, interviewing defensive position coaches, etc. until early January seems pretty damning of him and damning of Herman as a HC. 

50 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t get why all the 9.95ers keep talking about Rakestraw’s long-standing relationship with Mizzou. They fired Odom and basically their entire staff with him at the end of the year. Is there any coach at Mizzou who could’ve even offered Rakestraw last spring and still be at Mizzou? I don’t see how Mizzou has any better relationship with Rakestraw than Texas coaches, especially Ash, who was unofficially our DC before Drinkwitz even got hired. 

https://mutigers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/ryan-walters/1359

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

Thanks. I saw a Defensive Backs coach and Secondary coach and quit looking. So Mizzou has 3 coaches that are in one way or another DB coaches, no OC, a guy who coaches QBs and WRs, and a guy who is Special Teams Coordinator only?

I guess Drinkwitz plans to be the QB/OC and decided to load up on Defense/ST coaches because of it? That might be the strangest setup of a staff I’ve ever seen. 

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Thanks. I saw a Defensive Backs coach and Secondary coach and quit looking. So Mizzou has 3 coaches that are in one way or another DB coaches, no OC, a guy who coaches QBs and WRs, and a guy who is Special Teams Coordinator only?

I guess Drinkwitz plans to be the QB/OC and decided to load up on Defense/ST coaches because of it? That might be the strangest setup of a staff I’ve ever seen

Why the shit are you sitting here conjuring evil like this into the universe? Are you just begging for Tom Herman to tell you to hold his beer? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why the shit are you sitting here conjuring evil like this into the universe? Are you just begging for Tom Herman to tell you to hold his beer? 

Have you not figured out that Burt Macklin actually is Tom Herman? If you take Herman’s press conference speaking style and turn it into posting behavior, who do you have? Think about it. 

• Haha 1

IT Inside Scoop 2020
CLOSING OUT 2020

With the dead period beginning today and running through the end of the month and Junior Days normally set for February, the staff hosted a number of prospects in the month of January. They also offered an abnormal amount, indicative of a more proactive approach towards recruiting in 2021 and beyond. 

But first thing's first. Texas needs to close out 2020 and towards that end hosted Ennis Rakestraw, a much needed cornerback hailing from Duncanville. 

“It felt like home," Rakestraw said about Austin. It's no secret his parents would like to keep him close to home, but Alabama and Missouri are both in the mix. 

The Crimson Tide might take him if they have room, and the Tigers have been in pursuing to varying degrees for nearly a year. Texas needed a strong official and I believe they got it. 

“The defensive scheme really stands out," said Rakestraw. "The way they use corners, and I really like coach Valai and coach Ash.” 

This decision will happen over the next 48 hours. It appears to be a Texas-Mizzou battle, with Alabama on the sidelines waiting to see if there's room. 

He's set to announce on Wednesday, 8am. It's a toss-up this morning. There is as much confidence as there is concern on the Texas side; confidence they did a good job hosting, concern that it might be too little too late. 

Texas would also like to add Manor defensive lineman Princely Umanmielen to the roster. The one thing that could have injected uncertainty in this recruitment occurred, because of course it did. The one-time Texas commit took his second official visit to Baylor. This was allowed because of the head coaching change. 

We know Umanmielen wants to play in a four-man front which will happen more frequently in Austin than in Waco, but the Baylor depth chart is more conducive to early playing time. 

Like Rakestraw, this one is too close to call and nothing would surprise us with Princely. Clearly he likes Baylor and at one point earlier in the process had interest in LSU despite the Tigers not employing a four-man front. We'll defer to @northhorn on intel on Princely coming out of Waco. 

While there is uncertainty around Rakestraw and Umanmielen we still feel confident Kelvontay Dixon will sign with Texas. The Carthage athlete will likely start his career at wide receiver. Our friends at Tracking Football have his athleticism rated in the 92nd percentile for FBS WRs and he'd be the fifth most athletic wide receiver Texas has signed of 22 rated since 2010. Obviously wide receiver is a big need in the class. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah.  charlotte’s kid.  he’s big and athletic but rich kids from HP rarely have the drive to bust ass enough to get on the field at meaningful schools.  more than likely he’ll be a frat star before he sees any snaps. 

hey butthead, I was a frat star, nothing wrong with a kegger and toga

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Maybe her choice on bathing suit?

y58ArM4SgQRphRFVmxvSdwLhD1z4i7muPwxDKY-6

That gives me a much different reaction.  I took it as a response to the fact that the information he posted was about 10 posts above already.  But this picture was worth the confusion.

12 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Only a couple days left. If you’ve got giant memes that you were saving for a special occasion (recruiting, Kate or fact facts related of course) now is the time to use them gents.
Good news that Dixon seems so probable.

It’s worth noting that, in those of you questing for 1000 and your time of need, @fatkid45 has all but abandoned this site. The greatest non-Phlegm shitposter of them all, and he’s gone, like a fart in the wind. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Great call. Let’s count those 2021 chickens a year out. David Allen is a fucking idiot. And Oscar Giles can eat a dick when he’s done with his chicken wings. 

And shit, when we get Tunmise as well.

g34vtUg.gif

Edited by MoJames

1 hour ago, ausjala said:

hey butthead, I was a frat star, nothing wrong with a kegger and toga

at UT?  what frat. 

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Matt Stafford says “Howdy!”

yeah he’s the one exception.  lots of HP kids walk-on in college for a year or two before drinking every night and spending daddy’s money becomes too appealing. 

4 minutes ago, deech said:

So why is Baylor's d-line depth chart easier to crack than Texas when it comes to Princely?  

Because they lose all 3 starters without much proven behind them, he would be fourth best DL recruit in our class, and we actually have a pretty good stockpile of talent at DL already on campus. 

7 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah.  charlotte’s kid.  he’s big and athletic but rich kids from HP rarely have the drive to bust ass enough to get on the field at meaningful schools.  more than likely he’ll be a frat star before he sees any snaps. 

SAE?

(...more probable than KA if he wants to live through Offensive Walk-ons vs 1st Team Defense drills.)