Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Crystal Ballin: One last look at the remaining picks in 2020

Spoiler

Crystal Ballin: One last look at the remaining picks in 2020

MikeRoach

National Signing Day is less than 24 hours away, and Texas has four major targets on the line. With the visits done and only the decisions left to be made, we take an up to the minute look on how these recruitments are trending.

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek

Barring any unforeseen changes, I think Texas scores big tomorrow with the addition of the 247Sports five-star defensive lineman. The Longhorns have pretty much been the wire to wire leader throughout the recruitment. Collins would give Texas one more huge piece of the puzzle up front, and his five-star ranking would bolster where Texas finishes among other programs in the nation. Sources at Oklahoma and Alabama don’t seem confident in the lead up.

Current Pick: Texas

Final Pick: I’m sticking with Texas. I feel incredibly confident about where the Longhorns stand with Collins, and I’ve mentioned on a few occasions that I’d be incredibly surprised if he ended up anywhere else.

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor

The buzz seemed to lean in favor of Baylor all morning, and Nick Harris of Horns247 felt the same after speaking with Umanmielen at Manor today. From what we know, no decision has been made and no schools have been informed as of yet. Still, in a recruitment that has been difficult to read, it’s worth following the buzz. Earlier today, I spoke with someone close to Umanmielen who had belief that Texas would be the pick, but I haven’t heard enough to go with the Longhorns originally. Umanmielen’s wildcard nature means we could be in for all sorts of surprises tomorrow, but I’m going to place my confident in what I’m hearing the most.

Current Pick: None

Final Pick: I’m going to place my confidence in Baylor. I can’t honestly say that I feel great about any pick right now, but I think the new staff did just enough to push the Bears over the edge.

CB Ennis Rakestraw, Duncanville

Intel on Rakestraw has been all over the place today. I’ve heard Texas the most, but I’ve heard Alabama from the most impactful sources throughout the day. Two months ago, Rakestraw was sifting through the likes of Louisiana Monroe and Colorado State, and now he gets to pick between two SEC programs (one of them being Alabama) and Texas. In the days following Rakestraw’s visit to Texas, it sounded like the Longhorns had enough juice to win the race. While they still might, Alabama is starting to pick up some buzz right before the clock expires. Alabama is typically tough to tangle with in these types of recruitments.

Final Pick: A gambler’s axiom in today’s college football world is, you don’t make money betting against Bama. I could see this race going Texas’s way in the end, but right now there is just too much steam behind the Crimson Tide.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage

Like Alfred Collins, I feel pretty firm on what I’ve heard with Kelvontay Dixon. Texas has been recruiting the Carthage product the longest, and all signs point to Texas as of right now. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see Dixon pull the trigger before signing day, but when he does, I have confidence in the Longhorns.

Final Pick: I’m sticking with Texas. It would simply be a huge surprise if he went anywhere else.

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Crystal Ballin: One last look at the remaining picks in 2020

Hide contents

MikeRoach

National Signing Day is less than 24 hours away, and Texas has four major targets on the line. With the visits done and only the decisions left to be made, we take an up to the minute look on how these recruitments are trending.

Barring any unforeseen changes, I think Texas scores big tomorrow with the addition of the 247Sports five-star defensive lineman. The Longhorns have pretty much been the wire to wire leader throughout the recruitment. Collins would give Texas one more huge piece of the puzzle up front, and his five-star ranking would bolster where Texas finishes among other programs in the nation. Sources at Oklahoma and Alabama don’t seem confident in the lead up.

Final Pick: I’m sticking with Texas. I feel incredibly confident about where the Longhorns stand with Collins, and I’ve mentioned on a few occasions that I’d be incredibly surprised if he ended up anywhere else.

The buzz seemed to lean in favor of Baylor all morning, and Nick Harris of Horns247 felt the same after speaking with Umanmielen at Manor today. From what we know, no decision has been made and no schools have been informed as of yet. Still, in a recruitment that has been difficult to read, it’s worth following the buzz. Earlier today, I spoke with someone close to Umanmielen who had belief that Texas would be the pick, but I haven’t heard enough to go with the Longhorns originally. Umanmielen’s wildcard nature means we could be in for all sorts of surprises tomorrow, but I’m going to place my confident in what I’m hearing the most.

Final Pick: I’m going to place my confidence in Baylor. I can’t honestly say that I feel great about any pick right now, but I think the new staff did just enough to push the Bears over the edge.

Intel on Rakestraw has been all over the place today. I’ve heard Texas the most, but I’ve heard Alabama from the most impactful sources throughout the day. Two months ago, Rakestraw was sifting through the likes of Louisiana Monroe and Colorado State, and now he gets to pick between two SEC programs (one of them being Alabama) and Texas. In the days following Rakestraw’s visit to Texas, it sounded like the Longhorns had enough juice to win the race. While they still might, Alabama is starting to pick up some buzz right before the clock expires. Alabama is typically tough to tangle with in these types of recruitments.

Final Pick: A gambler’s axiom in today’s college football world is, you don’t make money betting against Bama. I could see this race going Texas’s way in the end, but right now there is just too much steam behind the Crimson Tide.

Like Alfred Collins, I feel pretty firm on what I’ve heard with Kelvontay Dixon. Texas has been recruiting the Carthage product the longest, and all signs point to Texas as of right now. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see Dixon pull the trigger before signing day, but when he does, I have confidence in the Longhorns.

Final Pick: I’m sticking with Texas. It would simply be a huge surprise if he went anywhere else.

After careful consideration, Roach decides to not interview either Rakestraw or Princely. Instead, he talks to Bama 247's Hank South, and flips his pick on Rakestraw. Then he talks to Nick Harris at Baylor 247 and flips his pick on Princely. 

That'll be $9.95.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

MikeRoach

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Reveal hidden contents

MikeRoach

the office rage GIF

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 11:44 AM, futureman said:

yeah.  charlotte’s kid.  he’s big and athletic but rich kids from HP rarely have the drive to bust ass enough to get on the field at meaningful schools.  more than likely he’ll be a frat star before he sees any snaps. 

I wonder how helpful PWO status is to gaining admission.  Top 6-7% at HP can go wherever they want for the most part, assuming the test scores match.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

A class outside of the top 10 at Texas in a non-transition year is fucking garbage and the head coach should have his coke-addled salary docked for poor performance and trash behavior. 

It pretty sad that he fucked up the year so bad that we basically had a self inflicted transition year with the assistant changes.  Thank God it looks like we  have managed to get Collins on board. He was the must get.

I wonder how helpful PWO status is to gaining admission.  Top 6-7% at HP can go wherever they want for the most part, assuming the test scores match.

I wonder how helpful “Dallas Cowboys” money is to gaining admission. Top 1% can go wherever they want for the most part, assuming the checks cash.

Not to be that guy but Whitley is rated slightly higher than Rakestraw — who had a comparable or worse offer list than Whitley until around Dec 28th. Honestly neither of them is likely to be a big contributor outside of ST. So take a 10.7 guy and give him a RS season and see if he can develop and outwork his peers while providing depth. It’s a fucking chasm away from Kimber or Eaton but that ship sailed a loooooong fucking time ago. 

247 / Steve Wiltfong / What I think I Know The Night Before National Signing Day

Spoiler

What I think I Know The Night Before National Signing Day
By STEVE WILTFONG

National Signing Day is going to be an exciting one Wednesday with several of the nation’s top prospects announcing commitments and or final decisions.

Here’s what I think I know the night before.

The battle for the 247Sports Composite’s No. 1 class is tight between Alabama and Georgia. UGA currently sits in pole position and talking to sources I think the Bulldogs hang on and sign their two prized offensive line recruits in Broderick Jones (who also considered Arkansas and Auburn) and Sedrick Van Pran (who also considered Alabama, Florida and LSU). They could also flip cornerback Daran Branch from Ole Miss and add in-state defensive lineman Cameron Kinnie too.

If all that comes to fruition that boosts the Bulldogs scored to 313.34 per the 247Sports Class Calculator.

Regardless of all that, if Alabama lands Top247 defensive tackle McKinnley Jackson, it’s over and Nick Saban and his staff finish with the No. 1 class for the second cycle in a row and ninth time in the last 10 years. It would also give the Crimson Tide arguably the top defensive line haul in the country adding Jackson to a group that already includes electric pass rusher Will Anderson, fellow five-star defensive end Chris Braswell, Top247 five-star defensive tackle Timothy Smith and Top247 defensive lineman Jah-Marien Latham. Coming into the day you probably give the slight nod to Clemson with Bryan Bresee, Myles Murphy, Demonte Capehart and Tre Williams, but what is already a compelling case at the very least turns outright Alabama with Jackson in the fold.

So what’s up with Jackson? The 247Sports Crystal Ball continues to trend towards Alabama. The blue-chip defensive tackle took his official to Tuscaloosa during the season and returned again for an unofficial three weekends ago. I’ve talked to a handful of sources that ultimately think he picks the Crimson Tide but I’ve also talked to a few that like Texas A&M’s chances and weighing that information together, I still like the way it stands for the Aggies. Perhaps I’ll get more intel in the morning that changes this, but right now I still like Texas A&M to sign the Lucedale (Ms.) George County standout.

The Aggies boast a pretty good class themselves sitting at No. 6.

LSU is still mathematically alive for the No. 1 class if you include Jackson who took an official there two weekends ago and was a one-time commitment to Ed Orgeron and company. With that being said, currently sitting at No. 4 in the 247Sports Composite, I think it’s more likely they would flip five-star defensive lineman Jordan Burch from local South Carolina. Burch nearly chose LSU the first time around before committing to South Carolina on Dec. 18 the first day of the Early Signing Period. He has returned to each campus since, an unofficial to LSU two weekends ago where he spent more than 48 hours on campus and back to South Carolina this past weekend for an official. I know there is belief around those parts that he’ll stick with his original word. Will Muschamp and his staff could have one of the more exciting NSD's with top-ranked JUCO running back ZaQuandre White and four-star receiver Ger-Cari Caldwell trending their way in addition to possibly holding on to Burch. I do think that beyond the official visit to South Carolina dialogue still continued with LSU.

It’s a toss up to me.

Similar to Burch, I think there is optimism around two places in Gainesville and Coral Gables regarding the No. 2 safety in the 247Sports Composite Avantae Williams. The Crystal Ball is with Florida and I don’t have enough to change that. I think proximity and program trajectory are two things that have the Gators in a good spot. I think he has great relationships with the Hurricanes staff and those have him thinking about a future at The U.

A couple quick hitters on blue-chippers left.

I like Texas to reel in Top247 five-star defensive end Alfred Collins.

I like Georgia Tech to keep Top247 running back Jahmyr Gibbs in the fold. Same goes for Colorado and Top247 running back Ashaad Clayton.

I like my 247Sports Crystal Ball in favor of Arkansas for Missouri City (Texas) Fort Bend Marshall Top247 quarterback Malik Hornsby, who had Sam Pittman and Kendal Briles in his home on Saturday. If it wasn’t already the Razorbacks by then, I think that probably put the exclamation mark on it.

I would lean Ole Miss for Top247 receiver Malachi Wideman, a Florida State commit, but I think Tennessee is still fighting there with a chance to win it.

Couple Crystal Ball Forecasts I love include TCU for Top247 receiver Savion Williams. I love Kentucky for Top247 all-purpose back Michael Drennen II. I still like Oregon for four-star defensive lineman Jayson Jones as well. Looks like Cincinnati is going to flip four-star receiver Jadon Thompson.

Sounds like safety Donovan Kaufman could stick with Vanderbilt. Ole Miss has been chipping away there.

Baylor was the only school to get Top247 defensive end Princely Umanmielen’s parents on an official visit, as he returned to Waco this past weekend. Baylor is also the only school to get the four-star on campus twice for officials as he also took one in December when Matt Rhule was the coach. Texas and Florida are the other challengers. My gut says the Bears.

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Dude, A&M fans constantly complained about him while he was still coaching there.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/Time-to-rivisit-the-idiocy-of-Hagen-32027403/

ThePlaymaker
Posted on Oct 13th, 2014, 10:40 PM, , User Since 154 months ago, User Post Count: 0
  • Oct 13th, 2014, 10:40 PM
  • 154 months

Our shit for brains lb coach.

This poo dick who told brett wade that he wasnt good enough to play here.

Bwahahahahahhahgaa

We cant even get 1 lb to make a tackle in a conference game.

And this retard can tell a fish that he isnt good enough to ever play for texas a&m.

When sumlin finds the balls in his 5 mm dollar pants to fire this loser - we will all rejoice.

And someone kick fucking sumlin in the nuts as hard as u an for:

1. Hiring hagen
2. Letting that piece of dogshit pussyass ol return to the field after that int return. The sorriest most pussyass loser display and disgrace ive ever seen at kyle field. Ever.

Thank you Senator Douglas. Mr. Lincoln, your rejoinder.