Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t get the “loyalty” angle. I remember the first offer/show of interest I received academically was from Kenyon College in bumfuck Ohio when I was a junior. That loyalty immediately evaporated as soon as better offers came in. Why should the first school showing up ever receive anything other than politeness in a recruitment? I get it’s all personal emotions, but it is bizarre. 

Quite frankly, its pretty distasteful and classless of you to not attend Kenyon College. Maybe one day loyalty will mean something to you. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My daughter wanted a kitten for her birthday. We reluctantly were manipulated into agreeing. Wife takes her to adopt one. They come home with a 9 month old orange juvenile named “Cheeto”. It’s damn near feral. For a year it has been terrorizing my wife and daughter through the house. Last night I was awoken to my wife begging me to help remove the fucking thing from looming over her face like it was about to eat her. This cat would destroy that wrinkled thing. Only good thing I got out of it was that they agreed to change his name to Teh Major, which is fun to watch a bunch of little kids screaming at a psycho fucking cat. 

I don’t get the “loyalty” angle. I remember the first offer/show of interest I received academically was from Kenyon College in bumfuck Ohio when I was a junior. That loyalty immediately evaporated as soon as better offers came in. Why should the first school showing up ever receive anything other than politeness in a recruitment? I get it’s all personal emotions, but it is bizarre. 

I remember being excited about my scholarship to go to Arizona State. After all, Jake Plummer was their QB and they were the first to offer!  And then I researched their academics and that ended any interest I had. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This class is a fucking letdown, and anyone who says otherwise either doesn't follow this shit very closely or is being willfully ignorant. And I don't give a fuck about Princely. Herman fucked this in a number of different ways, from on field performance, to staff retention and doubling down, to assuming recruiting success just because he's Tom Herman instead of demanding it and working for it with the aforementioned stumblefucks he employed. CB and Linebacker are a complete shitshow, and because this guy waited 6 weeks to make half of his hires instead of having a plan in place, we lost even more opportunity to turn things around on the recruiting front. And he sat on his dick to hire the likes of Mark Hagen and promote a guy who was already on staff and could have been promoted mid season. 

We closed this class like a wet fart into a bucket of pig shit. Fuck Tom Herman. 

7-5

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

SCIENTIFIC UPDATE:

On twitter, Princely has liked a lot of UF things recently, his most recent follows include UF commits/players and a ton of his most recent followers are UF fans...

therefore the Science of Twitter says he is going to UF

He's going there because it's a Dan Mullen special. 

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My daughter wanted a kitten for her birthday. We reluctantly were manipulated into agreeing. Wife takes her to adopt one. They come home with a 9 month old orange juvenile named “Cheeto”. It’s damn near feral. For a year it has been terrorizing my wife and daughter through the house. Last night I was awoken to my wife begging me to help remove the fucking thing from looming over her face like it was about to eat her. This cat would destroy that wrinkled thing. Only good thing I got out of it was that they agreed to change his name to Teh Major, which is fun to watch a bunch of little kids screaming at a psycho fucking cat. 

Somewhere back up this thread, there was a note that Rakestraw was related to the Mizzou DC.  Maybe I dreamed that, because no one else is referencing.  The DC was retained by Drinkwitz, so that makes a little more sense.  Not how I would do it, but...

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This class is a fucking letdown, and anyone who says otherwise either doesn't follow this shit very closely or is being willfully ignorant. And I don't give a fuck about Princely. Herman fucked this in a number of different ways, from on field performance, to staff retention and doubling down, to assuming recruiting success just because he's Tom Herman instead of demanding it and working for it with the aforementioned stumblefucks he employed. CB and Linebacker are a complete shitshow, and because this guy waited 6 weeks to make half of his hires instead of having a plan in place, we lost even more opportunity to turn things around on the recruiting front. And he sat on his dick to hire the likes of Mark Hagen and promote a guy who was already on staff and could have been promoted mid season. 

We closed this class like a wet fart into a bucket of pig shit. Fuck Tom Herman. 

But are you shocked, shocked you say? 

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

And anyone saying the rash of DB injuries were "unforeseen" can go fuck off. We had 190 lb corners setting the edge and taking on linemen and running backs at full speed. Green's injury was a direct result of this bullshit. 

Lulz. Green’s injury had nothing to do with setting the edge. He torpedoed his shoulder into an OSU WR on a passing play.  The problem wasn’t even asking them to set the edge. It was tackling technique. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

amen.

Per 247 composite Texas scores, Texas has recruited

• 0 of top 5
  • 2 of top 10 (likely to be 3)
  • 3 of top 15
  • 5 of top 20

Bad process around the decision of when to replace coaches.

Bad process around the hiring process to replace coaches.

Bad process around the decision of when to replace coaches.

Bad roster management at key positions.

(Apparently) bad utilization of the analysts on staff

Bad management of Kick Returns (1/2 of Special Teams)

Bad self scouting 

Poor identification of top in state recruiting targets 

Poor "making up ground" on in state recruiting targets 

Poor targeted application of Head Coach when it came to closing out staff

Poor job of replacing decommits at RB (Jordan), WR (Q Johnston, Cooper) and CB (Eaton, Pouncey)

The 2020 Class was pretty poorly managed and the coaching staff didn't really do much to actually help finish strong/close it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, hard to have confidence in Herman when he struggles so much to land legacies like Dixon, Collins, & the Brock bros.  Seems like a bad sign to me.

5 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Somewhere back up this thread, there was a note that Rakestraw was related to the Mizzou DC.  Maybe I dreamed that, because no one else is referencing.  The DC was retained by Drinkwitz, so that makes a little more sense.  Not how I would do it, but...

IIRC, it said he related to him when it came on betting on himself.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. Green’s injury had nothing to do with setting the edge. He torpedoed his shoulder into an OSU WR on a pass play.  The problem wasn’t even asking them to set the edge. It was tackling technique. 

burt, can't you let newy rage and cuss in peace? he doesn't get to talk when the missus is around

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This class is a fucking letdown, and anyone who says otherwise either doesn't follow this shit very closely or is being willfully ignorant.

Agreed. This class may finish in the Top 10, but it is still a let down and a huge missed opportunity. LB isn't even worth discussing; a complete shit show start to finish.  A year from now we could also be really thin at WR and CB, and we didn't so much as sniff Demas, JSN or Kimber, lost out on Rogers, and allowed Pouncey, Eaton and QJ to flip.  Obviously you would take this QB, DL and RB haul every year, but there are huge gaps considering the projected state of our roster. The disappointment is compounded by the fact that this cycle followed a Sugar Bowl win that should have propelled us to a killer class. 

What a kick to the balls this program has been for the last 12 months. 

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Prolly not getting Princely

Can you offer any later than 10 min before a dude is set to announce? latest offer in history! Good thing we have a coaching staff that is VERY on the ball, right?

literally the ONLY follower I have in common with him is Super K. no staffers, no other 995ers, nobody. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordon-Williams-46082692/

biggest offers are S Alabama, Southern MIss, L'Ville, Navy and UL-Monroe.

Christ.

Edited by NoName

Just now, NoName said:

Can you offer any later than 10 min before a dude is set to announce? latest offer in history! Good thing we have a coaching staff that is VERY on the ball, right?

literally the ONLY follower I have in common with him is Super K. no staffers, no other 995ers, nobody. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordon-Williams-46082692/

No more making fun of aTm and Jordan Jefferson. 

• Like 2

Well the best news on the sudden Jordon Williams recruiting battle is we are one of the few interested that have a Division 1 football team

South Alabama

Austin Peay 

Coastal Carolina 

Houston Baptist 

Jacksonville State

Louisiana-Monroe

Louisville 

McNeese State 

Mercer

Navy

Nicholls State

Northwestern State

Prairie View A&M 

Southern Miss

Southern University

Tennessee Tech

Texas Southern

Youngstown State

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

No more making fun of aTm and Jordan Jefferson. 

hey they at least identified this guy super early and went after him

this is a fuck up of mammoth proportions. literally offering 10 min before he is set to announce is a desperate move - not even Charlie Strong was THIS shitty at setting up backup plans.

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

Well the best news on the sudden Jordon Williams recruiting battle is we are one of the few interested that have a Division 1 football team

South Alabama

Austin Peay 

Coastal Carolina 

Houston Baptist 

Jacksonville State

Louisiana-Monroe

Louisville 

McNeese State 

Mercer

Navy

Nicholls State

Northwestern State

Prairie View A&M 

Southern Miss

Southern University

Tennessee Tech

Texas Southern

Youngstown State

#81 in Lousiania

#1821 nationally 

i hope he picks someone else for this level of disrespect. not even offering the kid until 10 min before he commits?

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I posted an edit, but Suchomel deleted the tweet. I’m gonna guess the most likely thing is the kid wasn’t actually offered and Suchomel lazily retweeted it without any vetting, while being congratulated by Fat Ketch on a job well done.

i mean, why would the kid RT it and joke at this point? kid also RT'd Sam Spiegelman's tweet (he credited Jason S) and another Texas fan account who tweeted him (weird)