Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is a bizarre bit of tap dancing that to be honest, I don't understand. You're saying this was a decent class despite the obstacles we faced, but neglect to point out that those obstacles were 100% self-inflicted. There was no fucking excuse for this bullshit THIS year, must less NEXT year. 

Next year's excuse will be "Oh, we were breaking in new systems on both sides of the ball, and new coaches trying to learn our culture" and blah fucking blah blah blah. 2019 could have been an elite class, but it wasn't because of rampant cases of slamming our own balls in a fucking car door. Repeatedly. I'm not going to judge them based on next year while dismissing this one. Ask the Brokermeyer clan how that is working out. 

you left out the part about transition classes   

Bobby Duncum 3* WDE from Westlake is still unsigned. His dad, Bobby Sr., started for Texas at DE in the 80s. His uncle, Duane Duncan, was a starting LB a year or two behind Bobby Sr. Has anyone heard if Texas is recruiting him as a PWO? He’s not a high 3*, so I figured that knocked him out of scholarship consideration.

His grandfather and dad (RIP) were both professional wrestlers.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Bobby Duncum 3* WDE from Westlake is still unsigned. His dad, Bobby Sr., started for Texas at DE in the 80s. His uncle, Duane Duncan, was a starting LB a year or two behind Bobby Sr. Has anyone heard if Texas is recruiting him as a PWO? He’s not a high 3*, so I figured that knocked him out of scholarship consideration.

Is that what an aggy says after he finishes his role in a circle jerk?

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

So can he read and write?  Grade issues?

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

He is Duane's son. He is named after his uncle Bobby (who passed away in 2000).

It looks like he is headed to SMU.

Edited by Par4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Did you hear his commitment speech?

I’ve somehow been able to avoid the practice of listening to the dipshits talk or write while still following recruiting. Watching many people with borderline personality disorders and room temperature IQs for entertainment has always seemed cruel, and then I remember I am a fan of both CFB and CBB, and it somewhat subdues me for a bit. So no, I didn’t watch another dumbass preen about in front of a mic. Did this guy surprise with his intellect, or was it more of the expected?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's Ian Boyd so ymmv, but here's an interesting free article on the best fits in the class: https://insidetexas.com/inside-the-gameplan-ranking-the-10-best-fits-in-the-2020-class/

It's ridiculous that people still hold Boyd's negative outlook on our 2016 class against him. He was dead-on when he said a lot of the players weren't great fits.

12 hours ago, Richter said:

I’m ready for @OnAComputer’s post signing tell all.  Lol..  patience my friend.  56-6-13-2-786-63.7

👇

16 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

Texas missed on a lot of guys and then they also didn't miss on a lot of a guys. They missed on some of the guys they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed. They didn't miss on some of the guys they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed. They missed on some of the guys they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed who they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed on. They didn't missed on some of the guys they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed who they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed on.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's ridiculous that people still hold Boyd's negative outlook on our 2016 class against him. He was dead-on when he said a lot of the players weren't great fits.

I'm sure here everyone is wildly surprised to see you turn up wringing your hands over someone being perceived as negative. Championing all the poor souls who are mocked for their constant negativity. There's no shortage of reasons to to mock Ian Boyd, just as there's no shortage of times he's been wildly wrong or too dense to see the forest for the trees. 

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I believe @Burt Macklin is the one who makes fun of Boyd the most so you'll have to bring it up with him.

Just because Burt is the leader in the clubhouse is no reason to trim the field from allowing the rest of the board to lampoon Boyd. Open season, my man. 

• Like 1

Lorando Johnson didn't sign anywhere because he's not guaranteed to qualify academically yet. From what I understand, there's still a chance he can, but I have no idea if LSU still would even take him as they took McGlothern late. I'd hope the staff is at least keeping an eye on this since they struck out so bad at CB.

https://247sports.com/Player/Lorando-Johnson-46038983/

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm sure here everyone is wildly surprised to see you turn up wringing your hands over someone being perceived as negative. Championing all the poor souls who are mocked for their constant negativity. There's no shortage of reasons to to mock Ian Boyd, just as there's no shortage of times he's been wildly wrong or too dense to see the forest for the trees. 

Just because Burt is the leader in the clubhouse is no reason to trim the field from allowing the rest of the board to lampoon Boyd. Open season, my man. 

Why all the negativity towards Boyd?  Has he been wrong before? If so, I have zero tolerance or patience for any of that. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Lorando Johnson didn't sign anywhere because he's not guaranteed to qualify academically yet. From what I understand, there's still a chance he can, but I have no idea if LSU still would even take him as they took McGlothern late. I'd hope the staff is at least keeping an eye on this since they struck out so bad at CB.

https://247sports.com/Player/Lorando-Johnson-46038983/

@Fud 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

It's Ian Boyd so ymmv, but here's an interesting free article on the best fits in the class: https://insidetexas.com/inside-the-gameplan-ranking-the-10-best-fits-in-the-2020-class/

Other than the Omeire, Card, and Bijan take I think he's mostly fine . College RBs can still do special things and make huge differences. This isn't the NFL when you really shouldn't be paying a dime more than necessary. 5 star RBs change games. Card has a lot of potential but that will take time and he isn't sure enough of a thing to be #1. And Omeire looked better his senior season than expected but he isn't CJ. The lack of quality WRs outside of Dixon will be damaging. We need to get Tarik Black from Michigan. Good kid who can ball in a real offense. Thankfully we have Jake Smith and Brennan Eagles already, plus with Bijan coming in we could move Whittington to WR.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Lulz at the idea of Boyd being right just because the class was decimated by attrition. All Boyd writes about are scheme fits, which is especially meaningless when a new staff comes in 1 year in.
The 2016 class ended up bad. That doesn’t mean Boyd’s reasoning or decision to only focus on scheme fit is good analysis. 

18 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Why all the negativity towards Boyd?  Has he been wrong before? If so, I have zero tolerance or patience for any of that. 

it’s not about whether he’s right or wrong. His recruiting pieces are just word vomits related to players’ scheme fits with almost no analysis of them as prospects. With the amount of attrition in HCs and coordinators, ranking classes solely on scheme fit is pretty much pointless. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My take on the '20 class, I don't see any egregious reaches.  I like Herman's M.O. of first and foremost trying not to take spare tires that will chew up a scholarship for 4-5 years.  Who you don't take out of panic is a lot of times more important than who you do land.  I'd prefer a smaller class to taking a bunch of JAG 3-stars like cuckbo.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

My take on the '20 class, I don't see any egregious reaches.  I like Herman's M.O. of first and foremost trying not to take spare tires that will chew up a scholarship for 4-5 years.  Who you don't take out of panic is a lot of times more important than who you do land.  I'd prefer a smaller class to taking a bunch of JAG 3-stars like cuckbo.

Soooooo you were out on Jordon?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Scholz said:

This class really should have been a little better, but then again it would have been had the season not sucked so egregiously. And with the caveat of "when things are going like the should," I agree completely. The most important thing you can do when recruiting at Texas is not fuck up. Because if you don't have any bad takes, just being Texas means your "average" takes should be better than most people's. The difference between a good and a great class is, under those circumstances, a hell of a lot easier to navigate.

Of course, "when things are going like they should" doesn't describe anything that's been going on at Texas in so long, it's not funny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

I am consistently negative on Ian Boyd and his takes and it has zero to do with a particular single take of his. He's a fucking joke of an analyst and has been for as long as he's been writing. To you and those who follow him, football is a mystery and you think he helps you gain insights into that mystery. To anyone with a clue about the sport, he's useless.

HenryJames has hypothesized for years that sarvanaash is actually punjabi for Ian Boyd.

48 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Have you read even a single thing from him? I don't give a shit about people being wrong. Anyone with the balls to offer positions that can be measured against future results has my respect as far as that goes. The actual issue I have with his writing is that it is impenetrable. He fires off word walls loaded with jargon that don't make any sense, don't contain any levity, and fail to provide any insight. I've said it before, but I am worried that one of my levels of hell will include being forced to sit, legs criss-crossed on the floor, while having to listen to Ian Boyd read the entire volume of his posts on a loop for a virtual eternity. 

I'm convinced that he's paid by the letter and he gets docked on his pay if he provides any creativity or humor to anything that he writes. The sheer mass of his posts is actively contributing to the global warming crisis.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm convinced that he's paid by the letter and he gets docked on his pay if he provides any creativity or humor to anything that he writes. 

Amen to this. The only crime worse than being wrong is being boring. A dry as fuck world in which Texas won every single game, but the only people I could talk to about it were humorless hacks like Boyd would be almost as bad as a world in which Sean Watson was perpetually and forever the offensive coordinator.