Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's also not specific to UT. Liucci and his staff actively serve as a recruiting extension for the ATM program and they are one of the biggest offenders in the industry when it comes to badmouthing other programs to recruits. James Hale is a felon and borderline retarded. One of the Clemson $9.95ers is a moneyhandler for the Clemson program and has been for over a decade. Oregon has a guy on their 247 crew that also works for a sports agent. The Baylor $9.95ers are a collective of rape-enabling, rape-denying, rape-victim-shaming shitheads that do so without even a hint of contrition. USC has a guy that was busted in the 2019 cycle paying recruits to visit there. These are just other guys that I'm thinking of off the top of my head.

Calling James Hale "borderline retarded" is a huge insult to borderline retarded people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Thanks for posting that.  I was curious to what the thinking was be people more tuned in to recruiting than I am.  

My gut feeling before you posted that was that the number would be the high side of your estimate.  

Once McCoy and Shepherd return, it will be.

Roach might be a good dude, I don't fucking know. I do know that he takes what other 247 mods say as gospel his "sources" and it's often clearly total bullshit. He then reports it as "hearing from sources" and you get an echo chamber of complete nonsense. Simpleminded bullshit. EJ did the same shit with trainers. Hamm with the fucking players and their trainers. 

I know it's a shitty job overall but I don't understand why it's hard to find some 20-something that is semiliterate and has the ability and drive to not only speak/text/snap/insta the player but also his trainer, his position coach, his 7on7 coaches, other players from the team (specifically not JUST his broskis), or the 7on7 teams, and someone on each recruiting staff. (ie a support person under Derek Chang for example) then you can even  add info from the other fuckfaces from the disparate team sites. That way when you get some info from any singular source you can compare it with the other sources and know it for the bullshit that it is. (See aggy reporting how over the fucking moon every recruit is for the  "aggy network" - no one but a born redass gives a single shiny fuck about that shit, so when you read it you know that it's aggy wishcasting.)

In 2010 or 2011, the guys at Recruitocosm asked me if I wanted to post articles on the site without knowing anything about me. Not even my name. All because I posted something about Malzahn at the time in a thread on another article. I am not a journalist but that sounded like a relatively low level of journalistic standard. 

32 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

The Baylor $9.95ers are a collective of rape-enabling, rape-denying, rape-victim-shaming shitheads that do so without even a hint of contrition.

Don't forget that James Fucking Blanchard was a recruiting analyst for Bearsillustrated (as late as 2018) and was actively getting paid by trainers/marginal players' families/coaching staffs and turned that into a gig within the Baylor football offices where he is still "director of scouting" at Baylor, yes Aranda kept that POS on the payroll.

His top 50 without Alfred Collins, Jaylon Jones, and a host of other top guys but with guys like Nshimirimana Mohamed, Deundre Blanton, Erick Mcfall, Brendon Strickland, J’Mani Gipson, Bryeton Gilford, Shiloh Canady, Brayden Staggs was fucking magical. It was clear that this was a guy that needed to be doing this professionally in the Baylor offices and not at all a guy on the take. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I dunno the story on #5. Peter Bean was that dude's name, I always wondered what happened to him. He owned BON and then just kinda disappeared, so I guess it fits. BON isn't like the others, though - it is literally just a fan site, no different from Surly or whatever. No idea why people post that stuff here.

I think #6 might be Higdon. lol my friend.

My guesses are same as yours for the others.

I forgot about Higdon. So many jackasses. Geez. At least his bullshit was straightforward - he was the voice through which Chuckles chose to speak to the boards, which was apropos, I guess.

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Roach might be a good dude, I don't fucking know. I do know that he takes what other 247 mods say as gospel his "sources" and it's often clearly total bullshit. He then reports it as "hearing from sources" and you get an echo chamber of complete nonsense. Simpleminded bullshit. EJ did the same shit with trainers. Hamm with the fucking players and their trainers. 

I know it's a shitty job overall but I don't understand why it's hard to find some 20-something that is semiliterate and has the ability and drive to not only speak/text/snap/insta the player but also his trainer, his position coach, his 7on7 coaches, other players from the team (specifically not JUST his broskis), or the 7on7 teams, and someone on each recruiting staff. (ie a support person under Derek Chang for example) then you can even  add info from the other fuckfaces from the disparate team sites. That way when you get some info from any singular source you can compare it with the other sources and know it for the bullshit that it is. (See aggy reporting how over the fucking moon every recruit is for the  "aggy network" - no one but a born redass gives a single shiny fuck about that shit, so when you read it you know that it's aggy wishcasting.)

Burton did this and eventually became a millionaire. I also think it's worthwhile for a program to shadow fund a site, and this work, in some sort of way. Given that we've now thought of it, and that ATM has had their aggiefied version of it for decades, I'm guessing that this is something Saban's taken care of at Bama for years too. I wonder which of the sites in their world is quietly funded through Bama's interests. It's pretty brilliant. Use the recruiting site/exposure front to get somewhat unbiased/unfiltered free access to players, coaches, families, teachers, friends, etc., and then leverage that to get all of the necessary dirt for closing deals, knowing who to avoid, what other programs are saying, etc., as the actual purpose for the entity. 

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

None of you are correct yet, and Higdon isn't on the list period. 

Recruitocosm wasn't Nahlin in the beginning. Hell, I wrote the first article for that site before it became clear that we were all diverging from each other in terms of values. I mean, I know you know that, but I'm just building on your point and the discussion.

Also, a highlight to #6 with SC appearing, is that he later intervened that evening when I asked #6 outside so we could handle our ongoing disagreements like men for once, rather than his pissy ongoing passive agressive Internet drive-bys. Shortly thereafter, that dude threw down a smoke crystal and vanished into thin air. That may make me sound like a lunatic, which I'm sure is a shocking reveal. Good times. 

In truth, while no hatchet has ever been buried and probably never will be, I can at least say that 6 puts some fucking work in compared to a lot of the toads out there. I get it and hey, people grow and learn, but I seen what I seen when we were many years younger.

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I dunno the story on #5. Peter Bean was that dude's name, I always wondered what happened to him. He owned BON and then just kinda disappeared, so I guess it fits. BON isn't like the others, though - it is literally just a fan site, no different from Surly or whatever. No idea why people post that stuff here.

I think #6 might be Higdon. lol my friend.

My guesses are same as yours for the others.

#5 might be Mike Craven, the Fab 55 guy. He's pretty open about how bad his drug addiction once was, I think it landed him in prison more than once.

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Burton did this and eventually became a millionaire. I also think it's worthwhile for a program to shadow fund a site, and this work, in some sort of way. Given that we've now thought of it, and that ATM has had their aggiefied version of it for decades, I'm guessing that this is something Saban's taken care of at Bama for years too. I wonder which of the sites in their world is quietly funded through Bama's interests. It's pretty brilliant. Use the recruiting site/exposure front to get somewhat unbiased/unfiltered free access to players, coaches, families, teachers, friends, etc., and then leverage that to get all of the necessary dirt for closing deals, knowing who to avoid, what other programs are saying, etc., as the actual purpose for the entity. 

So who is Surly's shadowfunder?

chappelle-cash-1568337909-1568337911.gif

5 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

spacer.png

I  know a guy who played defensive lineman at a directional Louisiana school while Bradshaw was in the conference.  He had sacked Bradshaw a couple of times in the first half.   In the third quarter, he had a beeline to the qb when Bradshaw hauled off and fired a fastball directly into Chip's face guard.  Knocked him down, stunned him good, and  made him a little more hesitant in the pass rush. CSB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

In 2010 or 2011, the guys at Recruitocosm asked me if I wanted to post articles on the site without knowing anything about me. Not even my name. All because I posted something about Malzahn at the time in a thread on another article. I am not a journalist but that sounded like a relatively low level of journalistic standard. 

so which # are you?

5 hours ago, pacman said:

At this point, what's the projected roster count for the Fall? How much under 85 will we be?

https://insidetexas.com/football/football.php?pg=fb_roster

IT had us at 83 during the season, with 13 players running out of eligibility.

The eldest Brockemeyer is missing, thought he would be on their with a # sign for walk-on earning a scholarship. There are 3 others of those listed, who will return.

Pouncey is still listed but he is gone.

We have 19 currently signed for 2020.

Moore is in limbo.

Right now we are at 84.

spacer.png

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas doesn’t do this already? I mean, I know we weren’t Alabama or Clemson crooked with the recruiting sites, but I thought we at least used some intel. Jesus we are idiots. Texags isn’t a recruiting website, it’s essentially the alumni foundation of the school run by a cleat chaser. 

Bobby Burton: The day after...

In the last 24-36 hours, Texas finished off its class by signing defensive end Alfred Collins and wide receiver/athlete Kelvontay Dixon and losing out on defensive lineman Princely Umanmielen and cornerback Ennis Rakestraw. In total, Texas ended the class of 2020 with 19 total commitments. The Horns would have liked to fill two or three more spots, but couldn't close on options they liked and didn't want to extend scholarships to prospects they didn't think would better the team or meet the team's needs.

I'm a firm believer that a key part of recruiting is addressing a team's needs. However, that is almost never factored into final team rankings. Yet not signing a certain position or the right player at a certain position can be a death knell (think Texas and the QBs the Longhorns' program endured for the better part of the past decade). With that in mind, I'm looking at this year's class from that viewpoint in today's column, while also grading out recruiting at the position overall and its strengths and weaknesses.

Quarterbacks

Hudson Card, 6-2.5, 179, Lake Travis, Ranked No. 7 in the state

Ja'Quinden Jackson, 6-2, 219, Duncanville, No. 10

Strengths/Weaknesses: I think Texas hit a homerun here. Too often a team signs a great runner/developmental passer, like Jackson, and no other QB in a class. That's exactly what Texas did a year ago with Roschon Johnson. But that leaves you exposed if QB doesn't work out for that player. The signing of Card is no small thing. Texas, more than likely, added a starting QB of the future in this class. Whether that's Card or Jackson is to be determined. But going after - and signing - two prospects at the position was a necessity.

Grade: A+. It couldn't have played out any better.

Running back

Bijan Robinson, 6-0, 200, Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic, No. 2 in the state of Arizona

Strengths/Weaknesses: If you're going to sign just a single running back, it might as well be the nation's no. 1 player at the position. Robinson was rarely tested on the high school level, but in all-star and camp settings against groups of similarly talented players, he still stood out. He should get carries early in his career if he can learn to handle blitz pick up enough to not expose Sam Ehlinger. But did Texas truly meet its needs at the position? Maybe not. The Horns clearly wanted to sign two RBs in this class, but lost Ty Jordan, discontinued their recruitment of Zach Evans and failed to swing Jase McClellan.

Grade: A-. Great individual player but the Horns wanted two at the position. This pretty much guarantees that Roschon Johnson stays at RB (which may have already been decided given how well he took to the position and performed).

Wide receiver

Troy Omeire, 6-3.5, 206, Fort Bend Austin, No. 37

Kelvontay Dixon, 6-0, 180, Carthage, No. 49

Dajon Harrison, 5-10, 170, Hutto, No. 70

Strengths/Weaknesses: Did Texas sign an elite receiver? Time will tell. I love Dixon as a player, but he doesn't represent the mismatch that a guy like Demond Demas or Quentin Johnston would, and he's also the only one who has legit sprinter's speed. I actually see Dixon as more of an outside receiver than inside one, which means Harrison is the true slot guy in the class. Harrison is plenty slippery, but I wouldn't put him on the same pedestal as someone like Devon Achane in the state. Omeire is already on campus in Austin. He has a great wingspan but must prove he can get off of press coverage at the line of scrimmage.

Grade: B-. Given the other prospects in the state, I think Texas should - and could - have done better. Dixon is the only one who has close to elite speed.

Tight end/H-back

Jaden Hullaby, 6-2, 205, Mansfield Timberview, No. 79

Strengths/Weaknesses: This is a hard one to gauge. I actually like Hullaby a lot as a player and recruit. He's a do-it-all type with plus athleticism and play-through-contact toughness that I think translates well to the college game. But he's also a 6-foot-2 hybrid TE/HB, so there are limitations.

Grade: B. Texas also tried to sign a blue chipper at the position in Jalin Conyers but came up short. The Horns never really engaged with another TE, which means they didn't feel the need to as much as they couldn't find one that they liked enough to do so.

Offensive line

Jake Majors, 6-3.5, 283, Prosper, No. 28

Jaylen Garth, 6-5, 285, Port Neches-Groves, No. 39

Logan Parr, 6-3.5, 280, San Antonio O'Connor, No. 41

Andrej Karic, 6-4.5, 272, Southlake Carroll, No. 53

Strengths/Weaknesses: There is decent quality in this group. I like Garth's upside more than any of the group. But Garth also suffered a season-ending knee injury that he must come back from. I also like the technique, work ethic and attention to detail of Majors. Parr is a guard, with good size and above average footwork. In many ways, I see him as the Zach Shackelford of this class. I think he has the highest floor of this OL class. Yet outside of Garth, I'm not sure any of these players truly project to play at either tackle spot. Karic was recruited as such, but I just don't see that Texas will be right on that one given his lack of arm length.

Grade: B. Solid but not spectacular. Chances are one of Majors and Parr develop into a starter. Garth's development will be key to watch.

Defensive line

Alfred Collins, 6-5, 284, Bastrop Cedar Creek, No. 8

Vernon Broughton, 6-5, 286, Cy Ridge, No. 16

Sawyer Goram-Welch, 6-4, 278, Longview, No. 154

Strengths/Weaknesses: There's no under-sized guy in this group. All of them have size, strength and good athleticism. Broughton probably has the most quickness, but he's also the rawest of the group, so it's good that he's already enrolled. Collins is a multi-sport star who has yet to focus fully on football. He could be a true force in years to come if he continues to develop and work hard. Goram-Welch is an interesting case. Texas identified and chose him over a host of other in-state prospects at the position, getting him to decommit from Oklahoma State. If he turns out to be a player, I tip my cap to the team's recruiting department. My only question is whether or not Texas signed a true pass-rushing threat for the DL?

Grade: A-. Broughton and Collins should develop into multi-year starters. They both have NFL possibilities. Goram-Welch is a wildcard. Texas would have liked one more, a truer pass-rushing threat that was in the 250-pound range.

Linebacker

Prince Dorbah, 6-2.5, 208, Highland Park, No. 17

Jaylan Ford, 6-2.5, 205, Frisco Lone Star, No. 155

Strengths/Weaknesses: Texas needs "better" linebackers in the worst way. Take away Joe Ossai, and it's the one position group on defense that is not on the same talent level as other position groups on campus. I like both of these guys. Physically, they are eerily simlar. Long-armed, lean-muscled and relatively quick. Dorbah was an absolute monster as a pass rusher. But at his size, he may be asked to play more off ball in college. Texas looked around late and chose Ford, who they got to de-commit from Utah. Ford makes a ton of plays in the middle of the field and can move sideline-to-sideline. I'm just not sure that Texas signed that inside linebacker who can plug the holes against the OU run game yet still get outside at the college.

Grade: B+. The quality is there. I'm just not convinced either is an inside linebacker, which means the Horns may have come up short despite the quality of both signees.

Cornerback

Kitan Crawford, 5-11, 200, Tyler John Tyler, No. 25

Strengths/Weaknesses: Texas needed at least two corners. They signed just one, albeit a good one. Crawford is one of the team's better signees overall. He can play corner, nickel, safety or even receiver or running back. And like some others in this class, he doesn't shy away from physicality. I also like that he has good ball skills and plus speed. Texas just needed to find another one like him.

Grade: C. Texas probably signed a future starter. But the Horns needed two in this class.

Safety

Xavian Alford, 6-0, 182, Pearland Shadow Creek, No. 22

Jerrin Thompson, 6-0.5, 183, Lufkin, No. 27

Strengths/Weaknesses: This is an interesting pairing. I feel like Texas signed two quality players. But I also feel like they both might be best suited for strong safety over any other position, meaning there's no speedy, ball-hawking free safety, that could also spin down and cover the slot in certain defensive looks. Alford's mind for the game, which I'm told is on another level from most of his peers, could help him like it has Caden Sterns. Time will tell.

Grade: C+. Chances are either Alford or Thompson will end up a starter but not both because of lack of position flexibility. I clearly could be wrong, but that's my initial take and why the grade is what it is.