Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

11 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

If he turns out to be 80% Marquise Goodwin, somebody on the staff needs a raise.  No stone and shit.  

if he plays 1 snap at Texas it is a miracle and they deserve a raise for conjuring this dude out of basically nowhere 

that said, the number of P5 players who had no 247 recruiting profile/were totally unranked is pretty low.

On 2/6/2020 at 1:43 PM, closetojumping said:
Spoiler

One of the prominent guys covering Texas put on an event to support the charity of a deceased UT football player. The guy used the proceeds of that tournament, at least a chunk of them, to pay backtaxes to the IRS. This dude never attended, much less graduated, from UT.

One guy is a known drunk and a gambling addict to boot. He's been rumored as having taken payments from our enemies in order to publish content to his audience that paints UT and its administration in a terrible light. Those offenders paying for the service then use those stories to show parents of recruits what Texas is all about.

One guy helped take his growing recruiting-related start-up into bankruptcy in order to wipe out equity holders. He did this in conjunction with the CEO and cofounder, who is a convicted felon. They then recapitalized the business and sold it to a major media company for millions to the new shareholders, largely them.

One group of guys started a site focused on recruiting with the express purpose of spreading rumors and stealing legitimate shit from elsewhere in order to drive clicks. Making up shit was the key ingredient to the formula. This site grew like wildfire and was a driver for why the larger suite of sites was ultimately able to derive a modicum of value in an exit. Many of those guys are still paid writers covering Texas. They also committed textbook libel in a very public way on the internet with a long time friend of theirs because he deigned to post something true about a UT program that was negative (they were trying to get inside the program when this guy did this, so it set them off).

One dude went nuts on drugs and was pimping himself out for money with other dudes in his office parking lot. 

One guy, who also never attended Texas, worked in industrial inside sales by day and made up shit on the recruiting front by night. He once showed up at another dude's speaking session with longhorns and told me, flat out, that he was their to steal whatever the other guy was saying and he was going to repurpose it as his own content because "everybody does it". 

One dude went to fucking SMU and viewed all of his readers as simple idiots. He condescended them regularly, pimped recruits daily for street agents that gave him shoes and clothes, and got less than 10% of his takes correct historically. 

And then there are Jeff Howe and Suchomel, who are both good guys. Mike Roach is apparently also a nice guy and he works his ass off. The TFB guys all seem okay so far, even the sock-using dork on here.

But yeah, there aren't a lot of good guys out there, so it makes sense that those not prone to idealizing them and paying them money on the reg would view them all with a healthy measure of disdain. 

It's also not specific to UT. Liucci and his staff actively serve as a recruiting extension for the ATM program and they are one of the biggest offenders in the industry when it comes to badmouthing other programs to recruits. James Hale is a felon and borderline retarded. One of the Clemson $9.95ers is a moneyhandler for the Clemson program and has been for over a decade. Oregon has a guy on their 247 crew that also works for a sports agent. The Baylor $9.95ers are a collective of rape-enabling, rape-denying, rape-victim-shaming shitheads that do so without even a hint of contrition. USC has a guy that was busted in the 2019 cycle paying recruits to visit there. These are just other guys that I'm thinking of off the top of my head. 

Any time you see a guy come over here who shows that he's an acolyte and avid fan of one of these guys is in effect showing you that they're very simple-minded rubes incapable of their independent thoughts and lacking any sort of critical judgment in the sports-watching behaviors. In real life, if someone starts trying to discuss UT sports and recruiting with me and then cites Orangebloods as their source and place of hangout, I change the subject or find another conversation. I'm personally glad that this board views all $9.95ers with major cynicism and attempts to glean whatever useful information it can find from these guys without holding any of them in any sort of special regard. 

I am not a sock-using dork... I'm a sock-using nerd or geek. Get you shit together.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:52 PM, Fastbreak said:

Image result for priest holmes north carolina sun bowl

On that day I was visiting family in a small town in Mexico that was about 100 miles south west of Guadalajara.  I wanted to watch the game so I walked around and saw one of these:

old_satellite_dish_by_bloodyproduction.j

I went into the restaurant that had it. They had a big screen TV and a small screen TV. A few local seniors were watching some show on the big screen. I offered to buy them lunch moved them over to the small TV and got the owner to find the game on the big screen. No sound but it had to be the best food I have eaten while watching a UT game. The whole experience cost me less than a ticket today.

Big Screen back in the day was 40 inch projection TV.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Unsigned WR that IT (Wells) thinks the staff is looking at. Was committed to Arizona State until December, sounds like they tried to move him to a blueshirt. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Kobe-Stewart-46050863/

Just moved to CA from Georgia, so he's not really tied into the Pac-12, and happens to know this Georgia recruiting guru

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Is this a guy whose rating was downgraded because of eligibility questions, was just underrated overall, or a legit 3 star prospect?

He transferred high schools going into his senior year so he had to sit out 5 games. He also just got qualifying scores. He backed out of signing with Arizona St because they were looking to blue shirt him. 

9 minutes ago, futureman said:

fuck that, he’s an elite talent.  bijan and evans in the backfield at the same time would be unstoppable. 

we would need to switch to the wishbone.. nobody in 2020 or 2021 want to face a back field of Sam, Ingram, Bijan, Rojo, Evans

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Scholz said:

futureman’d

no, not at all.  if you don’t want zach evans that’s stupid.  he’s one guy and he can’t fuck up a locker room led by sam and the upperclassmen, and if he buys into the program he can help us win big games for several years.  if he doesn’t buy in he’ll portal out.  he is not just another body in the backfield, he’s one of the most talented athletes in the country.  it would be huge to get him. 

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

we would need to switch to the wishbone.. nobody in 2020 or 2021 want to face a back field of Sam, Ingram, Bijan, Rojo, Evans

Hell yes.

If we could just get another guy on the O'line to go with 5 in the backfield we would be unstoppable. 

Edited by Laga4
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, futureman said:

no, not at all.  if you don’t want zach evans that’s stupid.  he’s one guy and he can’t fuck up a locker room led by sam and the upperclassmen, and if he buys into the program he can help us win big games for several years.  if he doesn’t buy in he’ll portal out.  he is not just another body in the backfield, he’s one of the most talented athletes in the country.  it would be huge to get him. 

Are you futuremannning me now? I am too scrong for that.